Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OMG! This is ME! NEW HAIR!

OMG! This is ME! NEW HAIR!

Oh... my... God! I can hardly believe this is me! This is my hair now, attached to me, and not a wig!

Just got my ‘cranial prosthetic’, a human hair crown addition which eliminates my bald spot and blends with my natural hair. It feels completely natural - like it isn’t there at all. None of the hot, itchy feeling of a full cap wig. It is attached with medical grade adhesive, and for the next month or two I can treat it as if every hair grew there!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Ceera; 01-17-2019 at 12:25 AM.

Yeeey! Ceera it really looks great.
    Congratulations!
    HRT 042018; Full time 032019
    Orchiectomy 062020; gender& name legal changed 102020
    Electrolysis face begins 082019, in genitals for GCS 062021
    Breast augmentation surgery 012022
    GCS 072022; BBL 022023; GCS revision 04203;END TRANSITION

Congratulations. You natural hair looks wonderful too.

It looks great! Enjoy!

Looking good and glad it worked for you! Hugs Lana Mae
    Life is worth living!
    "Foxy lady! You look so good!!" Jimi Hendrix

It looks really good! Sounds like it’s very convenient and comfortable too. But it also seems like it could be pretty expensive?

Oh well, I just spent $190 last week to get my hair cut, colored, full highlights put in, shampoo, dried, and styled. And that’s for my natural hair. So hair care is going to be expensive regardless!

Congratulations Ceera you look great. I used to wear those wigs with full wig caps when I was still living as a guy with short hair. It was always so hot and uncomfortable and on windy days I was genuine worried that the wind might rip it off my head. So I can totally relate to what you were saying about the standard wigs. Glad you found a solution that works well for you
    Last edited by Sara Olivia; 01-16-2019 at 11:41 PM.

Mirya, yes it is expensive. About 60% of the cost of a comparable quality full-cap human hair wig, but still over $1,500 US dollars. Fortunately, my Veterans Administration medical insurance covered the full cost of it. I successfully made the argument that if they can do it for a balding male in the military (and they do), they could provide one for me as a very effective treatment for part of my gender dysphoria issues, at a fraction of the cost of years of ineffective therapy sessions.

I almost hate to show it, but here is the ‘before’ picture, of my real hair and bald pate.
    Last edited by Ceera; 01-17-2019 at 12:22 AM.

That’s amazing! Wow grats.

Makes you look like you’re in your 30s!

That is an amazing transformation! It is something I might consider someday too. Please let us know how the refitting goes in two months time.

Super cute! I’m happy for you.
    If you are a Genetic Female (Female at Birth) and would like to join us in the F.A.B. Forum, please follow the link.

F.A.B. Forum Access

Sherlyn,My beautiful sweet girl
    You forever and always will be my one and only true love . ❤️

Administrator

You look so happy!

I like to be pretty Joanne Curl's Avatar
    It looks fantastic and you look radiant.

Untitled
    All I can say is WOW
    Listen carefully to what is said, quite often you can hear what is not being said

The joy of correcting a mistake can bring pain to another

Congratulations on winning your argument Ceera! Think they would provide that crown cover to a non-transitioning vet with VA Healthcare and who has long hair but is balding on top? Rita Leigh

Rita, apparenty a crown addition is VA approved as treatment for “male pattern baldness”, so yes, with some persistence, they should approve it for a non-transitioning Vet as well.

Utah, north of West Jordan, south of North Salt Lake & west of South Salt Lake
    You look great, both hair and smile. I think I may just pass your story along to a couple of vets in my area that might be able to follow your path.
    Sarah
    Being transgender isn't a lifestyle choice. How you deal with it is.

Ceera, Thanks for being so open! I really appreciate it. Would you please PM me with the name of the service that provided your hair?

Minor update: After two nights sleeping with the prosthetic attacted, and two full days of normal activity, I still love it! Looks great when I get out of bed, and hardly even needs morning brushing to be ready for public activity. When I shave and put on makeup, I use a couple of big ‘bear claw’ hair clips to hold the hair away from my face.

The only ‘difficulty’ is that I can’t freely scratch the part of my scalp that the prosthetic is attached to and completely covers. On the sides and back, it is just like my own hair. But on top, if it itches, I have to settle for patting my scalp rather than scratching with fingernails. A small price to pay, and far less itching than from a full cap wig!

Aspiring Member
    Your hair looks really pretty Ceera! Now you have to try to stop smiling...............................Leanne

Ceera, your hair is absolutely gorgeous! Congratulations!

Maybe try using a chopstick or a wooden skewer to scratch your head. Just spitballing!

Found one way to ‘scratch’ on top. If I take a bristle-type hairbrush and pat the scalp with the bristles, they penetrate the tiny holes in the scalp netting enough to scratch where it itches, without damaging anything.

This morning was my first time washing the new hair in the shower. They told me to wait 48 hours before showering or swimming or using a hot tub, to be certain the adhesive was fully cured. It felt nice, but strange, too. Literally never in my life have I had this much hair! Growing up, my dad insisted I keep my hair short. Then I was in the Navy. In the late 80’s I finally grew my hair out to ponytail length, but by then I was pretty bald on top, so my ‘tail’ was only a little thicker than my finger, even when it was a foot long. Now, a ponytail is almost an inch thick where tied! So it was a very novel feeling, to have that much wet hair pulling on my scalp! It was also fun blow drying that much hair. But I just love how it feels now!

This afternoon a cisgender lady friend came to visit. She just had to run her fingers through my new hair, and she was surprized that even with such close contact, she had trouble telling where mine ended and the prosthetic began. She also commented that no matter where she touched, it felt like my hair simply grew like that. So happy!

You look amazing Ceera! And so happy!! You can definitely see that happiness in your smile just by looking at your current pictures and your "before" pic you've posted earlier in this thread!
    Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earth-bound misfit, I.

Congratulations! Your new hair looks wonderful. I'm excited and happy for you! This is terrific news for you and every military veteran that may be able to be compensated by the V.A. for their hair appliance. Thank you for sharing this wonder development.
    Melissa Pink

More updates:

At about day six, I did notice a minor issue. The adhesive detached along part of the front edge. But I could only see that problem if my pillow or something pushed upward on the right side of my scalp. When upright, it looked fine, and everything else remained quite securely attached.

During weeks two and three, I experimented with ponytails, updos, and different hair parting positions. A full split to twin tails kind of failed, because my own hair was a bit lighter, (had not been dyed to quite the right shade by a different salon), and with the hair parted in the middle all the way to my neck, the difference in color was too visible. Other styles worked great, as did using a curling iron to style it.

Went to a dance and danced for nearly three hours, and even that energetic, sweaty activitity did not make it shift. A lady friend at the dance said my hair “looked spot-on”, and perfectly natural. Washed it every three to four days in the shower, without incident.

Start of week four, (on tuesday, 8 days ago) I finally had a problem. I switched to a different shampoo and conditioner. Still the same brand my salon recommended, and provided by them. But both the shampoo and the conditioner had a much harsher, more chemical smell. After washing and drying my hair, I found adhesive residue at my temples. Did not realize it until later, but the hairpiece had shifted backwards and to my right about half an inch. Still, it seemed firmly attached. I just had a harder time getting the swept bangs in front to look right.

Last Friday, second time using the new shampoo. This time, after washing and styling, I was certain the hairpiece was way out of position! Over an inch to one side, and about an inch backwards. Could not get the front hairline to look right. But I already had an appointment for today (Wednesday) to detach, clean and reattach it. So I toughed it out, and wore a lot of hats.

They fixed it today. Said the conditioner was the problem, and not to apply it to the top of my hair, where the adhesive attaches. They also tried a different adhesive this time. I had them restyle it with a center part and curls. The hairline at the center of my forehead is a bit higher than I wanted, but within normal ranges for a cisgender woman. I can minimize that by going back to a side part and swept bangs.

So... a few speed bumps and learning experiences, but over all, I still LOVE my new hair!
    Last edited by Ceera; 02-14-2019 at 02:07 AM.