Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A bit disappointed.

A bit disappointed.

I finally got a good phone that I can take pictures with and I've been going crazy taking pictures of myself dressed. Normally when I look at myself in the mirror dressed I'm very happy with the way I look, I think I look great. I've been taking photos of myself in different outfits and wigs and I must say I'm disappointed with the way I look . Maybe it's because it's a selfie ,the phone is too close or maybe the lighting in the bathroom where I take pictures using the mirror is too harsh. I'm going to ask my son who lives with me and knows about my dressing to take the pictures for me. Hopefully the results will be something I can post here to introduce everyone to Karen if I can figure out how to do that.
    Everything you always wanted is on the other side of fear.George Addair.

Once and a while, I can get a decent shot of myself. And then I see a pic I actually posed for, that someone has taken, and I feel like "Lurch" from The Addams Family.
    "Samm" Sammara Michaels

I also speak fluent sarcasm

Resident Polymath MarinaTwelve200's Avatar
    Taking a picture of one's self is very difficult. especially if you hold the camera---something about the ANGLES you are limited to and the closeness to the camera. To get a good picture you can 1) Take it with a tripod mounted camera and a timer. 2) get a computer camera, mount it on your monitor and click it with a timer or mouse. 3) You can also take a VIDEO and check out individual frames to freeze or and snip the ones you like.

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    When you look in a mirror what you see is the reverse image not how you really look.
    Pics are two dimensional so again not a reverse image. Thats why you think you look different.
    For me I have to take over 100 pics to get maybe 5 keepers I would be willing to post here.
    So if you think others here seem to know the trick to looking good well its all about proper lighting and knowing how to take a pic.
    My camera is old and sucks but its all I have because my cell takes terrible pics so I don't use it.
    I have frozen video frames with some luck in the past.
    My point is some here make it look easy but its hard work to get a really good picture.
    Last edited by Tracii G; 01-19-2019 at 08:54 PM.

Stop that, it's silly.... DIANEF's Avatar
    A camera is unfortunately much less forgiving than the eye, I know as I had exactly the same feeling when I first took pictures of myself. Oddly I can take a phone picture, and then one with my bridge camera, and it looks almost like two different people, but when using both to take pictures of my wife they look the same. Go figure!
    Here today, gone tomorrow....

I find it best to get a proper digital camera with a self timer that can take time delay shots (most can). I set it on a tripod, connect it to the TV so I can see what it is seeing and let is take a few shots. I give myself about 15 seconds between shots to adjust myself.

I have the same problem. Every photograph that I have tried to take of myself - selfie, good camera, group photos - I feel like it's a picture of some "Alien Being", also known as - a B.E.M. (Bug Eyed Monster). That is why my avatar is an image from a webcomic I follow instead of the real me. Maybe someday I will get a professional makeover with photos that I can share.
    Last edited by Tina June; 01-19-2019 at 09:30 PM.

Like you, I think I look better in a mirror but sometimes I like the photo better. It seems to depend on the day.

I prefer to use a tripod and a camera with a timer. Most pictures do end up on the cutting room floor, so keep trying.
    I enjoy being a boy, being a GIRL like me!!!

Tripod and camera is better option (think you can even get fitting to hold phone) , but even better if you son will help Karen. Also bathroom lighting may be too harsh. If you can, try natural light from a window, but not strong sunlight.

Like Tracii it takes me quite a lot to get a couple of reasonable ones, which reminds me, I need to get round to putting a few in the gallery section.

Take a lot of pictures and discard the bad ones. Traci and Helena are right.
    One more idea--you can usually improvise a tripod by putting your phone in a heavy coffee mug. Stuff in some paper towels to hold it securely upright. Use the self-timer.
    In the bathroom--try to put the camera near the mirror and the lights--camera looking away from the lights toward your face. If you can manage to find a shelf for your camera about 4 to 6 feet high (such as a shelf in your medicine cabinet)--then stand near the shower curtain as a background.
    Cover the toilet with a towel or decorate it with a flowering plant.
    For full length shots with legs and shoes--you may have to place your tripod just outside the door.

Selfies in the mirror with a phone can be disappointing, when you get someone able to take your picture for you the world seems to open up.

You do need the odd selfie, it is the only way to record an event sometimes.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Cameras Suck! They will crash who you are more often than not. I agree with Tracii pictures are two dimensional and we are not thankfully.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    I take and have taken many 1000's of pics of Sherry. I like variety and full length views in my pics. Selfies r fine for 2 photos. I take dozens in one outing and 100's at home doing a shoot. I take 99 out of 100 photos with my camera timer.

I think if u won't spend $75+ for a decent camera, you're not serious about your pics!

U DON'T NEED A TRIPOD for your camera! I take pics inside using tables, counters, furniture, etc. And, outside on rocks, railings, window sills, any semi flat spot I can set my camera on!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

A
    Quote Originally Posted by docrobbysherry View Post
    I take and have taken many 1000's of pics of Sherry. I like variety and full length views in my pics. Selfies r fine for 2 photos. I take dozens in one outing and 100's at home doing a shoot. I take 99 out of 100 photos with my camera timer.

I think if u won't spend $75+ for a decent camera, you're not serious about your pics!

U DON'T NEED A TRIPOD for your camera! I take pics inside using tables, counters, furniture, etc. And, outside on rocks, railings, window sills, any semi flat spot I can set my camera on!
    Great points.

A tripod is not essential but gives you more options.

Platinum Member
    I've noticed with picture taking that the eye sees what the mind wants to see. I do not take pictures of myself en femme. In male mode my image in a mirror is a lot more favorable to my mind than a developed picture. All the imperfections come to light with my camera or anyone else's.

Beverly has a good point, selfies can be perfect for recording very quickly and with minimum fuss an event or visit. Just don't stand too near the edge.

Full tripods can be cumbersome at times. A Gorilla-pod can be extremely useful as it can be free standing or gripped round objects, and just pops in your handbag.

tiptoeing thru the tulips ellbee's Avatar
    Recently I've been looking a bit into this whole photogenic/non-photogenic thingy, before this thread was even started.

It's actually a fairly widespread issue among the general population. And throwing the CD'ing aspect into the mix just complicates things that much more.

There's a *ton* of info out there about it, including some insight from photography professionals/experts.

From what I can tell so far? There's a lot going on, including things concerning the camera, the lighting, the human subject, etc.

It seems like the trick is to minimize as many potential issues as you can, and try to maximize all the good stuff.

And in our cases, it would probably help to also learn about the do's & don'ts regarding the photographing of GG's. Lots of good tips that we could personally use for ourselves.

Banned Read only
    Karen,
    You are so right selfies on the phone camers are no more than snap shots ,as you say you are too close . They have to resort to wideangle lenses which gives a terrible perspective on the human figure . I was a professional photographer for thirty years so I know a thing or two , the adage is the longer the lens the better , the problem is the traditional camera has gone out of favour and no one understands lens usage any more . On the old 35mm film camera a 50mm lens gave the same perspective as the human eye all my protraits were taken on a lens double that focal length which would be about 100-135 mm . This would give a more flattering perspective on the human face , the nose and chin look smaller compared with the other facial features , so the eyes would stand out more , the eyes are the main feature , they tell so much about a person . The problem is the lens details now given make little sense because no on really knows the format size . The image ( detector ) area on digital camersa and phones is so much smaller , I couln't actually say what the standard focal length is on most of them but the majority are wide to very wide . This is great for large groups or scenery shots but not so good for the human figure .

The only way to get satisfying pictures is buy a reasonable camera with a good range zoom lens and a tripod .

When I first started taking wedding pictures professional processing was very expensive , my clients booked a certain package which contained a fixed number of pictures , my basic package was twenty four pictures , I couldn't afford to take hundreds , I always used 120 film on a Bronica camera , so every shot had to be good , no rejects , on occasions I literally took the prescribed number of shots . 24 taken and everyone saleable , I always used a sturdy tripod . Don't forget I had to go and do that almost everyday , we think Cding can be stressful , being a professional photographer sounds a wonderful job and I often had people tell me they would love to do what I do but I reminded them you had to go out and do out in all weather conditions , under very difficult circumstances , it is a very stressful occupation .
    Last edited by Teresa; 01-20-2019 at 06:55 AM.

I am an amateur photographer and have a decent camera/flash/tripod set up, I will spend a couple hours on a 'girly' night taking several hundred pictures to get 20 to 80 good ones. The thrill of dressing up in different outfits is all part of the fun, as is going through the pics later when I am back home to find & process the good ones. On my next outing I'm taking a couple small can lights to help with lighting. You just have to keep trying and you will get some great pictures.

Reality Check
    I cringe when I hear someone say they got a better phone so they could take better pictures. Modern phones can take pretty good snapshots but if you want good photos, you should be using a camera. One that doesn't also let you call people.

Photography can be "point and shoot", but good photography requires a bit of knowledge and thought. You need to think about backgrounds and lighting for a start. Most digital cameras have a timer so you can push the button and have ten seconds or so to get yourself in position. You also won't have your arm holding the camera in the photo. You can set your camera on a table or shelf, but a tripod adds a lot of flexibility.
    Krisi

Your phone should have a timer setting (iPhones do) that allows you to set it for 10 seconds.
    That's enough to pose in a mirror and decide what you like, then set the camera and regain the pose. That's what I do mostly now.
    I used to use my big camera, tripod and remote but it's such a pain to set up for just a few shots.

Check your phone camera settings.
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

I almost never like how I look in pictures.

I really need the help of the right lighting. Friday my roommate and I went out to dinner. I took a selfie at the table and it was awful due to the overhead lighting. In ambient light I’m ok. Angular lighting makes the lines on my face stand out. One of the unpleasant things about growing old.

Quote Originally Posted by JenniferR771 View Post
    Take a lot of pictures and discard the bad ones. Traci and Helena are right. //
    Or for me, take a really, really lot of pictures and discard almost all of them!

One more suggestion. One can place the phone camera on its side on a table. Prop it up to near vertical with an object--whatever is handy. Pictures are landscape mode--still acceptable.
    Also, you can attach a tiny support prop to the back of the phone with piece of cardboard and some some duct tape. This will hold it up when laid sideways. And with luck--it should fold flat when not in use. Works fine on picnic tables at the park.
    Keep in mind if the table supporting the camera is low--you can compensate by kneeling down or sitting on the floor. Bring your face into the picture.

Aspiring Member
    Another thing to remember is we are highly critical of ourselves. What we perceive as less than perfect others will see as beautiful.

We can be our own worst enemies/critics.