Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: It's not the same thing because...

Quote Originally Posted by Leslie Langford View Post
    snip......
    The truth of the matter is: we crossdressers could exercise the same prerogative to openly wear what pleases us the way the womenfolk do - even if it knowingly (and deliberately) involves flaunting society's "rules" as to what constitutes gender-appropriate clothing - if that's what floats our boats. Trouble is, most of us lack the cojones to do so.

I'll be the first to admit that seeing a MIAD out in the wild would be a jarring visual for me, but that is also the result of how I have been socialized. At the same time, I realize how fundamentally illogical that is, and I applaud the courage of all those here who are willing to put themselves out there in this manner and take one for the team, as it were.
    when we do grow a set and collectively step out society will have a rude awakening of the transgender size and scope....having seen Miads in the wild i have observed their rituals and wanted to interact but simply watched others reactions as they picked up on it, interesting to say the least.

but yea today was looking at a pair of jeans at costco and thought boyfriend cut ??? boy shorts ???
    ....Mykell
    i dressed like a girl and i liked it! crossdressing...theirs an app for that

tiptoeing thru the tulips ellbee's Avatar
    Leslie,

FYI, after reading your post, I just smashed that non-existent "Like" button.

Where I do disagree somewhat...

Yeah, there's definitely some of that psychological stuff going on with *some* of the GG's who do this, sometimes... Even if it may be subconscious. Heck, some even recognize/admit it.

And honestly, I've got no problem with any of that. Good on them, if that's (fully or in part) why they're doing it.

However, there's also a very *pragmatic / practical * aspect to it, as well, for many of them in many circumstances.

If you have a choice between an article of clothing that's thinner & relatively poorly-made, versus a face-value equivalent that's way better quality, way thicker/warmer... *and* costs less? Yeah, I know which one I would choose, too.

That part happens a lot, apparently. And I can definitely see why these GG's do what they do, in that case.

Are there reasons why it can intentionally be designed that way? Yep. But you'd have to go to the executives & owners of these women's-apparel companies to get the real answer, heh. (And not all of them are men, BTW... GG's know GG-behavior best, after all. )

As for the MIAD thing?

I consider my presentation to be a sub-set of that. While I like having my recently-expanded options, I'm still most comfortable presenting as a guy, but wearing stuff from the women's side. (Granted, no dresses or skirts, as I'm really not into them.)

And yeah, it does take balls, depending on just how obviously-femmy one can get. Of course, going out fully en-femme takes guts, too, no doubt. They are somewhat psychologically different, in their own unique ways. But having done both throughout my life? On some levels, the MIAD-thing can be more difficult, IMO. It can be a big hurdle, for sure.

And this, at least in part, is how GG's got to where they are today, when it comes to fashion. They just started saying, "Screw it, I'm wearing this!" And so, they do. Tough at first, no doubt. But as time goes on, and more of them do it more often? At some point, it starts becoming "normal"... And no one really bothers to question it or bat an eye.

For men doing the same, it certainly poses some different challenges. I think we'd have a much more difficult time, for all kinds of reasons. But, that doesn't mean we can't try, either.

A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step?

found this in a search :
    https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=3396251
    and this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oT_mIYWrLw
    so theyre discussing it....
    Last edited by mykell; 01-21-2019 at 07:52 PM. Reason: finding stuff
    ....Mykell
    i dressed like a girl and i liked it! crossdressing...theirs an app for that

Platinum Member
    At times my daughter wore men's jeans because women's jeans did not have pockets to hold a slim wallet. Sometimes she wore men's plain shoes.
    My granddaughter goes 'thrifting' with my wife and buys men's flannel shirts and jeans. One reason is men's clothing tends to be less expensive. As to the jeans my granddaughter finds the larger size young boy's jeans fit just fine.
    My wife routinely buys men's graphic tee shirts because they fit her body type better than women's cuts.

In all cases none of them were trying to emulate a woman. For cross dressers it is more than the clothes. As my wife asked, "Why would a man wear a bra if he had nothing to pack into it?"
    Last edited by Stephanie47; 01-21-2019 at 08:55 PM.

Aspiring Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie47 View Post
    As my wife asked, "Why would a man wear a bra if he had nothing to pack into it?"
    Easy answer: to hold my breast forms!!!

Banned Read only
    I rolled my eyes so hard I now have a headache. Here we go. Again. It will never be the same because we live in a male dominated society where a man who desires to look like a woman might as well desire to be a paraplegic, bankrupt or imprisoned.

mykell,

Your forum link is just one of countless examples. Plenty more out there like that.

Though I suggest to try to stay away from the contrived "Women Try on Men's Clothes!" type videos. Not exactly the real world.

Even with some of the more "real-life" YouTube videos, I think one would find more actual legit stuff in the *comment sections* of such. As there, there's really no (financial) incentive for those GG-commenters to share their views & experiences... So they're just gonna be straight-up with all this. If anything, *these* types of videos will bring the everyday-GG's out of the woodwork.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie47 View Post
    At times my daughter wore men's jeans because women's jeans did not have pockets to hold a slim wallet.
    YouTube viewer/commenter: What was it like, having deep pockets for a change?

GG-YouTuber who, as a challenge & experiment, wore her brother's & BF's clothes for an entire week: Life changing

(And yes, she already typically wears *some* men's clothes before & after all this. Sounds like she nicked one of their shirts, too. )

Anyway, as for this "male-dominated society" of ours?

If that's truly the case, then all these "powerful, dominant" men should have absolutely no problems getting all dolled-up in front of their wives/ GF's, right?

After all, they are MEN... who can do whatever the hell they want.

This question will continue to bore and bother some and play over and over like a broken record. Until the CDs as a community takes this question very much public. YA WHAT'S YOUR PROBLEM ABOUT THE WAY I DRESS?

I wear womens clothes all the time and I never get challenged.

Maybe it is because I am presenting as a woman.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by ellbee View Post
    mykell,
    Anyway, as for this "male-dominated society" of ours?

If that's truly the case, then all these "powerful, dominant" men should have absolutely no problems getting all dolled-up in front of their wives/ GF's, right?

After all, they are MEN... who can do whatever the hell they want.
    You prove my point. The fact that society is male dominated is precisely why most men would not dare "get all dolled up" in front of anyone. They fear the ridicule that this would elicit because doing so would diminish their standing as men.

Banned Read only
    Monica,
    Those options really doen't go through my mind , I don't believe it is a totally male dominated society either , so many of us do and act the way we do to please a female partner , I often see it as a Woman's World for that reason .

May I ask if you are still in the closet or stepping out into the RW . Dropping the " Male " label is often more in your head than the people around you . My counsellor worked on my problem of living off assumptions , some proved to be real but many imagined , that's how I manged to deal with coming out to my son .

Rochal,
    I don't believe that's the way to do it , I respect the public round me , I don't think the majority deserve that attitude . The bottom line is if you want to integrate/blend is try and get an acceptable look appropriate to the situation and conditions . I honestly don't get any reaction at all walking down the street or going about my business and errands , nothing is off limits . I have to admit doing everyday is hard to do at first , much harder than getting really tarted up and dressing to the nines !

Having the mindset that I'm not crossdressing anymore , I'm wearing clothes suitable for me as Teresa changes the situation , I do believe the public pick up on that or maybe it's just being totally comfortable and relaxed with them .
    Last edited by Teresa; 01-22-2019 at 07:33 AM.

Wherever there is a Sale or Macys, but mostly Baltimore MD
    ... Because women "own it" . What I mean is that when it comes to fashion women tend not to think in black and white when it comes to fashion. They mix and match and try various combinations. Maybe its because of fashion designers, who have tried just about every combination of style imaginable into fashion for women. Men think in very black and white terms. if it has two leg openings its menswear. Men do not "own it" . On a subconscious level men think in terms of menswear and women's fashion and never the two shall meet. The only when men start owning how they look as an individual and break out of the tribe will anything change.
    Kelly DeWinter
    Find Kelly at:
    Kelly's Blog
    Flicker
    [COLOR=#2e8b57

In my world I wear what I want with a big but, as with women, I’m looking to empress other women.

Most all my friends and roommate are GGs.

Other than FTM, women don’t wear men’s clothes because they want to be a man. This is the difference. They are women and their dress doesn’t change that with anyone.

I’ve met MIADs in the wild twice that I can think of. I’m in this tourist town having dinner on their outside patio. A man in a skirt walks up to me and asks if he can join me. The maître d’ rushes over to save me. Why does everyone think I need protecting? I tell everyone its ok. Yes he had a friend too, just a normal guy.

Oh and where are all these women wearing men’s clothes? I’m not buying it.

Teresa, (Having the mindset that I'm not crossdressing anymore , I'm wearing clothes suitable for me as Teresa changes the situation , I do believe the public pick up on that or maybe it's just being totally comfortable and relaxed with them.)

Yes, I do believe it helps. I can’t tell you when it happened, but at some point it’s become just how I am. For you all I live as a woman, also I would never insult my friends by making such a statement. They have taken me into their group and treat me as I’m one of them, as I belong. To them I’m just Jean.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Beverley Sims View Post
    I wear womens clothes all the time and I never get challenged.

Maybe it is because I am presenting as a woman.
    Or, maybe it's because u pass, Bev? I can't pass, period. So, I can't go out in vanilla land without stares, guffahs, eye rolls, and catty comments!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Quote Originally Posted by MonicaPVD View Post
    You prove my point. The fact that society is male dominated is precisely why most men would not dare "get all dolled up" in front of anyone. They fear the ridicule that this would elicit because doing so would diminish their standing as men.
    If you think about it from another angle, which many who claim this is a male-dominated society seem to often fail to do, I am not proving your point.

GF's/wives, i.e., *women*, are controlling/dictating what their CD'ing SO's (i.e., *men*) can & cannot do. And there are hundreds of threads on this site alone with plenty to back that up.

Does that honestly sound like these men are in charge??

And I could go on & on about what a crappy deal men have in this world, with all kinds of real-life stuff unrelated to CD'ing that some are not aware of or simply intentionally ignore... But this is not the place for that, and I'd also be derailing this thread.

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    As usual threads on this subject always seem get locked because people insist on arguing.
    Let it go its not worth the time.

Agree, Tracii.

I'm happy & grateful that we can have our discussion on this topic (as long as we tread carefully ), because it helps us to learn how others before us (i.e., GG's) have done it, and are still doing it.

And maybe, just maybe, we'll get there ourselves, someday.

I felt the injustice for too many years. So this year I decided to wear women's clothes... everyday. I wear women's pants (jeans and dress pants), blouses, sweaters, everything but dresses. I sometimes where men's shirts that are more feminine, flowered, etc. Some people I'm sure are aware (I've been called gender non-conforming by a colleague) and I've been surprised how many more times I've received compliments on my blouses compared to when I wore men's shirts and ties. Most of my blouses are chiffon. I also wear nail polish and women's jewelry, and mascara most days.

A different attitude on my part helps - the "I don't care what you think" attitude. I feel more comfortable and authentic wearing these items so why wouldn't I?
    They/Them
    I love dressing as a woman.

Okay, we'll cut to the chase. If you really wanted to know, why it's not the same, I've written this up in other threads many, many times. But in the persistent desire to think that the world is somehow going to change, people just keep bringing this up over and over again. The mention of beating a dead horse is right on the money. I've been here about 10 years, but still, there's nothing in a FAQ about this. So in a nutshell, here you are:
    It's not the same thing, because people (rightly so) assume that men who dress up in female clothes and try to make themselves into some sort of imitation female in appearance, which of course will end up appearing to be HIM trying to attract men sexually. Lots of us add changing the way we walk, the way we move, the way we talk, all in an attempt to look more like an attractive GG. What other conclusion could you possibly expect?
    So people assume we're gay. It's a natural assumption.
    Then, historically, homosexual men were (consciously or subconsciously) considered a threat to the society that they were part of; the possibility that a soldier might abandon his responsibility in the line of battle, to go to the aid of his male lover, could threaten the whole society if it resulted in the enemy gaining an advantage.
    Then you have a woman's fear that such a male might embrace his inner woman so much, that he wouldn't live up to his responsibility to that society to protect the women and children, and if she was attacked, she fears that he wouldn't come to her aid.
    So both men and women find the crossdressing male as most likely homosexual, and therefore a threat to their society and potentially their own life. You can argue with them forever, you're not going to change their opinions, because our behavior says it all to them.

Argue all you want. Homophobia is at the heart of it all. And it's not going to go away any time soon. The one good thing about the current events, is that the bigots have been emboldened so that a lot of them are coming out of THEIR closets and we now know just how many of them are out there: Millions. It wasn't our imagination. There are a lot of people out there who hate us, and hate the fact that we exist. On the other forums that I am part of (non CD/TG etc.) on the off topic sections, there are constantly threads brought up by guys who absolutely hate us. Some wish us dead. But the rest simply make it clear that they will absolutely NOT accept us, and that they will continue to work hard in efforts to enact legislation to stop us from having equal rights, and to keep on fighting to keep us from being accepted as a normal part of the world.

We're hated by a lot of men, and there is no reasoning with them, because they cannot accept dealing with their fear that THEY might become CD/TG/TS, too (because every guy at some point, has feelings that he believe are strictly for girls only). All from being brought up to believe that the worst possible thing a boy can ever be, is anything like a girl.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

I thought about this and decided that my best dating chances are with bisexual women, as I do look quite good as a woman. But too short to attract "normal" woman, as they typically want men at least as tall. And short woman usually want really tall men to "protect" them. Most importantly, I think I have a pretty good handle on the relationship dynamics of such woman.

Quote Originally Posted by Meeshell View Post
    Question: "How come, in today's society, it's perfectly acceptable for a woman to where men's clothes but not for a man to wear women's?"

Answer: "You're not comparing apples to apples. A man wearing women's lingerie is not the same as a women wearing a men's shirt and pants, even underwear, because... "

Ok girls. take it away, what "because's" have you heard or do you have?
    I don't write this out of frustration of repetition . . . but it doesn't matter .

It's not a battle we'll win with reasoning. It's not the logic that's the problem. The logic has always been there. If it were down to logic, men would have got their skirt freedoms via reassessment when women fought for their freedom to wear slacks.

So we could formulate the most robust arguments in our favour, and it would make no difference. The logic is not the problem. We'd still have to put on a skirt and stare down a bunch of guys who do not want us to wear one under any circumstances. So we might as well save our energy and cut to the chase.. we'd have to anyway. And that's the most likely way we'll get it done .

- Lydianne.

In my world there is an exit bin!

You can play nicely or just leave!

Now that's a nice place!

I’ve seen this argument on social media and a lady was going off about when a guy and a girl swapped clothes, she was all ape shit crazy saying guys shouldn’t do that, i had just responded and said for her to look up the history of the high heel and where it began. It was silent after that, although a lady I work with had responded and was astounded with my random knowledge I had. It was a nice compliment from her.

Pretty in Pink

Aspiring Member
    I agree that assigning clothes a gender is a cultural thing. But may I propose a different point of view on the culture? Certain western cultures, Western Europe, USA, and Canada, for example, are matriarchal in nature. (Cultures that are patriarchal in nature are legion in Asia and Africa, for example.). Women generally rule domestic life in a matriarchal culture. This shows up in a variety of customs. One of the more obvious indicators is wedding customs, strongly bride centered in matriarchal cultures and in where families tend to live, near the wife's family in matriarchal cultures. The relative weakness of extended families in Western cultures can obscure some otherwise common characteristics of its matriarchal nature.

In a matriarchal culture, women dominate these parts of life and, among many aspects, tend to wear whatever clothes and accessories they please. Men tend to be less free in what they wear. Clothes are drab and tend to keep them in their place. (patriarchal cultures tend to be the opposite.) A man who wears women's clothes in a matriarchal culture is seen as an interloper, trying to invade the higher domestic status of women. In a patriarchal society, the CD is seen as lowering his perceived status, but in a matriarchal culture, the CD is seen as usurping a higher status. This observation, like many cultural observations, is fraught with apparent exceptions and inconsistencies, but there may be a kernel of truth hidden within.

Quote Originally Posted by Leslie Langford View Post
    "Borrowed from the boys" seems to be an established hook amongst the fashion industry to get women and girls interested in new clothing lines each season. Why is that, and what makes that "cachet" so appealing to some women?

I'll tell you why...it's because some women and girls get the same kind of kick out of pushing the boundaries of what society considers to be "acceptable" clothing for their gender as we do when we put on our frillies, but there is a whole lot less stigma attached to that activity in their cases. On the contrary, society often "high-fives" them for doing so, and sees them as courageous foot soldiers in the battle for gender equality when they want to compete with men on their own turf this way.

And while we're at it, what's up with that scam known as "unisex" clothing? That's just code to indicate that women and girls continue to be encouraged to wear whatever they please, and more particularly, male-inspired clothing. When was the last time anyone saw a "unisex" skirt or dress (or even an androgynous version of one, if something like that even exists?) targeted at men or boys?

The truth of the matter is: we crossdressers could exercise the same prerogative to openly wear what pleases us the way the womenfolk do - even if it knowingly (and deliberately) involves flaunting society's "rules" as to what constitutes gender-appropriate clothing - if that's what floats our boats. Trouble is, most of us lack the cojones to do so.

I'll be the first to admit that seeing a MIAD out in the wild would be a jarring visual for me, but that is also the result of how I have been socialized. At the same time, I realize how fundamentally illogical that is, and I applaud the courage of all those here who are willing to put themselves out there in this manner and take one for the team, as it were.
    This is the truth of my experience- we all know that we can go out in a dress- but there is a stigma. We argue here that we want others to make it OK for us- but that requires that we prove our self-respect first.

We know that individualists try to do what no one else does- and they encounter resistance. If they are not threatening those in power too closely, they are allowed space. I went through the stages of fearing to go out, desperate devil-may care going out, assertively and neutrally going out, and now I am not so desperate, and chilly tolerance feels like a friction I don't need in my life. I proved my point about validity to myself and others, and now I feel like I don't need to share deeper facts of my identity. Most days, I am focused on politely going out! I.e. where crossdressing is to be expected, or is at least not bothersome- like shopping!

If there were more of us in one place, we could follow accepted patterns of creating social evolution: groups of people start trends by coalescing around an idea. Consider the 'man-bun' fashion example-
    "Man buns showed up in New York Times trend pieces as early as January 2012, and one of the first Tweets about the man bun came in 2011:

"@PrincetonBrooke: How I wore my MAN BUN today lol #TeamBlackAndFilipino #LongHairDontCare" (I REMEMBA THOSE DAYS) pic.twitter.com/cpD6buMm

— son of Hephaestus (@gvf_idont) November 8, 2011"

Fashion articles throughout 2017 and 18 talked about both '50 ways to wear your bun' and 'what to do with your long hair now the craze has ended'. It persists. The bun still feels ''borrowed from the girls' but just to be sure manned up with imagery taken from the Sumo wrestlers and Japanese swordsmen. Girls who wear ties and men's shirts are careful to leave the shirt tails out and the tie askance, etc., just to be sure everyone gets that they are not really trying to be men!

Why the explicit anchor left in traditional binary gender? Lexi's sociobiological explanation is also right- of course- the elephant in the room. We all know that we as males were told we were designated as protectors and that is a deep evolutionary task - a sacrificial position- that needs regular reinforcement to keep everyone sure we will run towards the gunfire when the attack comes. I believe I succeed as a MIAD because everyone can feel I would be a devil with a sword, despite my short skirt and high heels.

Bev's and Teresa's examples of success are [IMHO of course] because they are clearly saying- forget the swords- I am a woman! I can be relied on to grab the kids and hide them behind me. I"ll do my part - as a woman- and you can rely on that because I am doing it right now!!

But if with our presentation we are posing unclear or unresolved questions as to who we are, we can expect uneasiness in the instinctual parts of our observers. Regardless of specific items we can argue in the broad tapestry of gender, our problem is a bedeviling one- simple resistance to change. On any issue of change in the air, 90% the population will take steps to block it out, delay, avoid, etc rather than embrace or explore.

Picking a comprehensible presentation is important, and we will be accepted if we move forward with it and accept the friction. The friction will diminish, as resistance to change melts as the change moves forward.
    We are all beautiful...!