Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: voice? How do you handle it.

Last year at Keystone we learned from a Hollywood voice coach that you need to find the pitch that fits you. Start with a high note and let it slide down. Where you hear the break in the note, just below that is your prime pitch. You should practice to keep your voice in that area. I’m lucky because my natural voice is high for most males, so I try to just use the upper half of my voice. Works pretty good for me!
    P.S. General Patton had a high, soft voice, but still used it right for his purposes. I do the same.
    Be yourself. Everyone else is taken!

Just keep a small canister of helium hidden in your bustle. Just kidding. Just being honest here, don’t even worry about it. Unless your exceptionally fishy, if someone is close enough to overhear you talking, they’ve either clocked you or don’t care or both. For most of us, trying to do a “female voice” it just sounds contrived and unnatural.

Banned Read only
    Leslie,
    To relate to a story recently . I posted about a wonderful day out with my daughter and granddaughter with my daughters' mother in law , to see a pantomime , it was the second outing I'd had with my daughter in the RW . Just before we set off I asked her what she preffered to call me , the agreed name was still " Dad " . She called me me a few times while at the show in front of many people so changing my voice would have come over as slightly strange . I have to say that no one gave me a second glance even when I went off to but ice creams for our group , the voice obviously isn't a big problem .

My original question was to just see how others were handling it. I am so far from passing that I don't really worriy about it. I have tried to adjust my voice. I finally have resolved to just talk softer.

Thank all of you for the inputs.
    Leslie Mary Shy
    Remember this:
    You do not have to be a man to love a woman, or be a woman to love women's clothes on her or yourself.

When I first decided to go out in public, I already knew I could at least approach ‘passing’ from a visual standpoint, and I really did not want to ‘spoil the illusion’ the second I opened my mouth. My male voice ranged from deep bass to high tenor, but usually toward the low end. So if I spoke like that while en-femme, people would be looking behind me to see where the smart-assed guy was that was trying to play ventriloquist, to make everyone think the girl (me) had that definite male voice! So I looked on-line for courses on how to feminize a male voice. Found several, and studied for a few months. I learned to raise my pitch slightly and at the same time reduce resonance. The result is softer, definitely femine enough to pass over the telephone, and I can keep up a long conversation with strangers without them ever acting if my voice sounds anything but female. It helped a lot that I was well trained to sing, so I have a lot more control to begin with over my voice than many people. Yes, my voice is still near the low end for female norms, but with the right speech patterns and tone inflections, it works fine for me. Still working on being able to comfortably sing in my ‘girl voice’, but I am getting there.

As for how much difference it makes... occasionally women who have known me for several years, and who know I am trans, but have only seen and heard me as a woman, will ask what my male voice sounded like. It actually takes a conscious effort on my part now to drop back to that deep male voice. But when I do, jaws drop in amazement, and they can hardly believe that voice came from me.

Gaining a passing voice is like passing in general. Some do it effotlessly. Some can never do it. (Imagine James Earl Jones or Clint Eastwood trying to sound like a lady!) However, I firmly believe that a lot more of us can pass, either way, if we just believe in our ability to do so, and make a serious effort at it. As with any challenge in life, if you face it with an attitude of “I can never successfully do this!”, then you have defeated yourself before you even try. I am not saying everyone has to pass, or even that everyone should try. But if you do stand some chance of passing, and if you would prefer to pass, why ruin that chance by speaking in a voice that clearly outs you? I think we owe it to ourselves to at least put as much effort into our voices as we do to our hair and makeup. At worst, at least to try. Who knows? That perfectly passible female voice might not be as hard to achieve as you think!

When I first started dressing I tried to alter my voice, but it was a total failure. Since then I use my normal voice, but try to be soft. I really do not care what others think

Platinum Member
    I keep my mouth shut. One alternative would be to learn American sign language.

Stephanie,

No keeping my mouth shut is just not an option for me. One of the best things to experience when out and about is the interaction with the muggles. Engaging in conversation I believe helps others see us a just nornal run of the mill folks who just happen to present differently. Whether or not my attempt to modify my voice aids or hinders that it's hard to judge but I do get the impression that modifying inflection, cadence etc to be more female has a positive effect.

Life is more fun in heels Genifer Teal's Avatar
    I've tried working on my voice a bit and I think I have changed it somewhat. I don't have any fantasies about how great it is. It's somewhere stuck in the middle and Probably sounds more gay than anything else. I Just Go With It. It's all I got and fortunately it's not some deep baritone thing that just totally goes against my look. I think how you talk and what you say can help soothe the rough edges. Watch the videos and practice some of the tips. Even if you only make a small Improvement it will have a big impact on your presentation. Sometimes just saying things the right way makes as much of a difference as the pitch or tone of your voice.