Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 1960s - 70s Penneys & Sears Catalogs did you find them Mesmerizing & Inspiring ?

Banned Read only
    I was just thinking about this again and I remembered something.

We always got to pick our Christmas presents out of the special Christmas catalog that was half toys.

I remember there was a page with a few costumes. For the boys there was an astronaut costume and for the girls there was a ballerina tutu.

I might have been only 5 or 6 ( I don't remember my exact age, but I was prepubescent) but I wanted that tutu more than anything in the world. Every chance I got, I would grab the catalog turn right to that page and dream about wearing that tutu.
    Last edited by Robertacd; 02-07-2019 at 07:47 PM. Reason: This brought back so many memories I keep coming back to it

Aspiring Member dana digs sweaters's Avatar
    Makes one wonder of all the models that have been in catalogs over the years

Caroline Cossey

caroline cossey.jpg

caroline cossey 1.jpg

caroline cossey 2.jpg

Me too! I would check out the Christmas editions looking for toys, and would happen across the lingerie. Then I started checking out the lingerie!

Then I started to have dreams about lingerie. The first one, I was looking though the catalog and saw 3 men wearing T-shirts and half slips! I don't know
    how long I looked for that before realizing it was a dream! Then I began to have dreams of being in public in my underwear, which of course was a pretty lacy full slip!

How dare you get THAT deep into my distant psyche!
    How did you know.
    There resides within me a Woman, and she is powerful.
    She has been my Grace and Bearing on the stormiest seas.
    I could no more deny Her than I would my own soul.

Quote Originally Posted by Robertacd View Post

I remember there was a page with a few costumes. For the boys there was an astronaut costume and for the girls there was a ballerina tutu.

I might have been only 5 or 6 but I wanted that tutu more than anything in the world. I would grab the catalog turn right to that page and dream about wearing that tutu.
    Roberta, This just shows that dreams can/do come true.
    Crissy

When I was quite young I remember going to a local department store and in one section there was a big sign that said, "Lingerie". I didn't know what it was or even how to pronounce it, but the word had my curiosity. Little did I know it would become an exciting place to go.
    "You're the only one to see the changes you take yourself through", Stevie Wonder

I loved all the old catalogues. They introduced me to all the wonderful items that were worn underneath a dress or skirt. My first feelings were that I wanted to wear them all.

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissy 107 View Post
    Roberta, This just shows that dreams can/do come true.
    I guess so... But I never did get that tutu.

Quote Originally Posted by Dena View Post
    Me too! I would check out the Christmas editions looking for toys, and would happen across the lingerie. Then I started checking out the lingerie!

Then I started to have dreams about lingerie. The first one, I was looking though the catalog and saw 3 men wearing T-shirts and half slips! I don't know
    how long I looked for that before realizing it was a dream! Then I began to have dreams of being in public in my underwear, which of course was a pretty lacy full slip!
    Dena, we share similar dreams but mine was based on experince. When I was about 12 I heard our Young Hispanic maid laughing loudly to a Movie she was watching on TV. After a few mins of watching I saw a young man shaving his face looking in the mirror wearing a wife beater Tshirt. It then cut to a young women in her apartment with an evil Grin. She snapped her fingers and then burst out laughing. They then cut back to the young man who was toweling of his face but when he looked back into the mirror he was wearing a lacy full slip ! They then gave us a full view and he was in nylons and heels as well. He was not happy but my maid thought this was historical. When it went to commercial she was still laughing and grabbed one of her white full slips and chased me around trying to get me to try it on. Crazy ! I have tried to find what that movie was but have had no luck

slip.jpg

Robbie, we never had the Sears, or JCPenney catalogueso here in the UK, but I well remember Freemans, Littlewoods and Grattans, all three regularly seen at home.
    I also remember looking at the girls clothing section, although not certain that the underwear pages were my priority.
    Although we did look at the toys around Christmas, actually visiting our local Co-operative society had a huge toy shop where you could see and touch the real thing.
    Aah, Nostalgia hey, not what it used to be.

Aspiring Member
    tumblr_oefi1llEMe1vzrsxio3_1280.jpgdcews2c-7ad01917-e152-4d5c-acec-f89ce75f1236.jpg corsets were just out of my age groupe as were the rubber girdles by playtex. for ever curious what it must feel like ot be squeezed into such a form, the idea of adding a corset's tightened shoe laces and a knot that's had to reach on top of a long line bra and girdle ! WOW
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by suit; 02-08-2019 at 04:58 PM. Reason: train of though derailed

I remember the catalog days fondly. I think that planted the crossdressing seed in me. If Mother had known she would have hid them from me. My favorite thread so far

Aspiring Member

Those catalogs were a fix for me when I was a kid. I was always drawn to the women's section. I would try to hide that I was looking at womens clothes and lingerie. When someone would come into the room I would quick flip over to another section. I remember my mom telling me to pick out new school clothes. I hated that. It was something I hated and couldn't figure out why. I would rather look at the girl and womens clothing. It took to later in life to figure out why. I look back on the old photos of lingerie and wish I could get my hands on a lot of it.

Oh yes, perusing through the JCP and Sears catalogs, especially looking through the lingerie section, choosing in my mind which bras I wanted to wear.
    I was pretending to be looking at the "boy stuff" but I think my family had their suspicions.
    When the Sears stores where I live closed, I did manage to get a nice collection of Exquisite Form bras and Simply Emma jeggings.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by AmyVanessa; 02-11-2019 at 12:54 PM. Reason: Add photo
    Stay inspired
    Amy

I do love that lingerie Too bad it isn't out there as much as it use to be especially at that price.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Sallee

I was about ten, (give or take) and they had a Prince Valiant costume in one of the catalogs. My father got really mad at me when I asked him if I could have one. He said in a very loud voice "no son of mine is going to wear a dress!" I've always wondered if they ever sold any.

Aspiring Member
    Robin777 - I hear ya. They don't make lingerie like they used to.
    Amy - love the photo - I too would be all smiles if I got to wear bras and panties like that all day.

I was reminded by another member that there were also pretty Bridesmaids dresses and Gowns in these Catalogs.

Girls had all the fun but hey since many ladies kept these dresses forever some of us at least got to model some of them for fun ! LOL

gowns2.jpg
    Gowns 1.jpg