Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 1960s - 70s Penneys & Sears Catalogs did you find them Mesmerizing & Inspiring ?

I can’t desrcribe the torture of the Sears and JCPenney catalogs when I was a kid.... torn between lusting over the toy pages or lusting over the lingerie pages! Eventually, the lingerie won out... Transformers and He-Man couldn’t compete with a beautiful woman in a shiny, red satin bustier and thigh high stockings...

Those catalogs may have wet my appetite, but when I discovered the Fredrick’s of Hollywood catalogs is when I began wanting to wear the clothes instead of just looking at them...
    Last edited by SHINY-J; 01-27-2019 at 05:44 PM.

O, wow! Yes! Brain was branded forever.

Platinum Member
    I too loved the catalogues. There were many advertisements also in women's magazines. If you ever go to paper collectible shows you'll find sellers of ads of all sorts from the major magazines of the day. I don't know why women have abandoned the lingerie shown in catalogues and magazine ads. The clothing was very sensual. Those gowns and slips shown in the ops post are gorgeous. My wife and I spent a lot of Saturday's in midtown Manhattan lingerie shopping for her; Gimbel's, Macy's On Herald Square, Bloomingdale's, Saks Fifth Avenue, Lord & Taylor, et al.

I have to agree with TraciiG (#17) concerning girdles. There were two women's clothing stores on Broadway in Astoria, Queens that had large window displays. I love looking at the mannequins donning girdles of all kinds. One of the stores was right by a bus stop. Although I had no need to take the bus there were many times I stood there waiting for it to come.
    Last edited by Stephanie47; 01-27-2019 at 07:56 PM.

Aspiring Member dana digs sweaters's Avatar
    Hand raised here
    What fun it was to see all the foundation garments that were out there for a young CD like me
    And you can easily guess who is buying them on ebay

I would look at them and wish I could try one on, and still do

I can remember the Sears and Penny’s catalogs with fond memories, what fun!
    Stephanie47, Gimbel’s now there is a name from the past.
    Crissy

I still have a few Sears catalogues, great to reminisce.

These days printing techniques have improved and better colour catalogues are produced.

I still look at the summer ones in particular, most would have been banned thirty years ago for showing too much detail.

They would not have even got into Playboy years ago. :-)

How times have changed.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

I've actually posted about this before. My mom ran a pretty tight ship when I was growing up. The lingerie sections of the Sears and Penney's catalogs of that era were about all there was around my house of interest to a boy that age. I soon realized however that I was equally fascinated by what the models were wearing as I was with the models themselves and the rest is history so to speak.

I fondly recall the Sear Catalog and a catalog for a local department store that was eventually subsumed by Macy's. I have purchase some slips on eBay that are from the 60s and I love the look and feel.
    Please call me Jamie, I always_have crossdressed, I always will, "alwayshave".

Heck ya. Couldn't wait for the new ones to arrive. I loved the Avon catalogue as well.

I was a devotee of all the major catalogs and spent many an hour studying the lingerie pages trying to imagine how each item would feel if I were to wear it. When I discovered the wonderful world of Hugh Hefner's Playboy Magazine, I was mesmerized by the women, certainly, but I was also struck by the fact that they wore lingerie that was definitely not bought at Sears, or Penneys, or Montgomery Wards. Where oh where did they find such finery? Fast forward -- today you can find it everywhere.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Be all the woman that you can be!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    . . . and now, On With The Show!

I ordered my first slip from the Sears catalog

Of course I spent hours longing to wear the lingerie and hosiery displayed by the catalog models.

Alas, it was never to be but a girl can dream can't she?

We seemed to be a Sears house as I don't recall the J C Penny's catalog at all.

Maybe their toy selection wasn't as good?

Pretty sure that straight, non-crossdresser, pre and teen males were pouring over the same images, although not necessarily for the same reasons.

And, based on this writing gay males did too (just a different section): http://knappy-head.com/2010/03/11/th...omment-page-1/
    Last edited by Taylor186; 01-29-2019 at 08:48 AM.

I liked those pages in the (80s) catalogs but not for CD reasons since I knew I would never be able to buy it and have something fun delivered. Same thing once Victoria Secret catalogs started "randomly" coming to our house in my teenage years

I grew up on a farm in the mid-west during the 1940’s and 1950’s. I didn’t have any sisters or girl cousins. But what I did have were the Sears and J C Penney catalogs. They were always around and I studied them (the girl section) very intensely. I knew more about women’s clothes, the sizing, and how to wear them, than I knew about farming.

As soon as I could, I put that knowledge to use and have been wearing them ever since.
    My favorite dress is a Dirndl.

I loved the Sears and Penny’s catalogs. I remember I had some of my more favorite pages memorized. The pages with the models in the pretty pastel nylon panties instead of the cotton ones for example. I would fantasize about being accidentally locked in a Sears store overnight and I would try on every silky nylon piece of lingerie in the store.

Quote Originally Posted by Lacey New View Post
    I loved the Sears and Penny’s catalogs. I remember I had some of my more favorite pages memorized. The pages with the models in the pretty pastel nylon panties instead of the cotton ones for example. I would fantasize about being accidentally locked in a Sears store overnight and I would try on every silky nylon piece of lingerie in the store.
    Lacey New I had that same fantasy ! I actually worked retail for about 3 years and would joke with the other lady managers about having a bet where the loser had to take the place of the manikins for a day. The ladies were always up for it and made sure to let me know I would be modeling foundations, slips and dresses all day if I lost ! I was too chicken to take the bet

Both the Sears and JCPenneys Christmas Catalogs were even better than the "usual" ones. The women's clothing in them was more "festive" as opposed to being more practical. And the special section of "frilly things" couldn't be beat.

Lacy PJs

Yes I did enjoy all cloths catalogs , even to this day when I go though sale flyer I stop on those pages.

The Penney's catalog was the BEST!

I always loved looking throw catalogs and ad's in the Sunday paper. And even now on line.
    Angie

oh my yes!! They were certainly an inspiration to me. Loved getting them, would go between the lingere section and the toy section! Ha

Aspiring Member
    Rhonda Darling - Yup..love all the catalogs...then when I was able to get Fredericks of Hollywood and VS catalogs, I would be mesmerized by the lingerie and dresses. I would order Fredericks of Hollywood grab bag sales where you would items of one size for a super low price. The excitement of opening the package and seeing what dresses were sent....there were better slips in the past...today's slips do not even come close to the beauty of ones they sold in the past...

I used to save screen shots of scanned catalogue pages. There are several websites outthere devoted to the catalouges. Arden's are the best... panty boy ad1.jpg
    panty ad.jpg