Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: the term "transgender" vs transvestite, crossdresser, or transsexual

At the local LGBT center the terms Transman and Transwoman have kind of taken the place of transexual. Those updated words are more descriptive really. Although I have no problem with "transexual", some see it as a passe word.
    "You're the only one to see the changes you take yourself through", Stevie Wonder

Labelling seems to place people "in a box". Too often that box is used to pit one group against another. If I could pick my own label, I would be honored if people referred to me as a really nice person.

BB
    Someone else's imagination is a terrible thing to waste.

"Transgender" is useful as an umbrella term. "Transsexual" refers specifically to those who transition, and probably has a connotation of most likely identifying within the binary.

"Transvestite" is a pretty much obsolete synonym for "crossdresser", which, heretical as it might be to say here, is itself a generationally-tied identifier. Very few of Generation Z (born from 1996 to 2010 or so) will ever identify as one, rather identifying as genderfluid, non-binary, other similar identities (this trend is visible even here), or in some cases transsexual, and doing so younger, without the hassle of denying who they really are for decades of their lives. Already in my millennial generation I met transpeople who make a mockery of Blanchard, Bailey, Anne Vitale, and other peddlers of theories like autogynephilia, primary/secondary transsexuals, etc. With more time and less social suppression and self-repression, it will only become clearer that gender variance is all one spectrum, and that it's all a valid expression of humanity.
    Quote Originally Posted by MissDanielle View Post
    If there's one thing I hate more than anything in the world: it's living a lie. And clowns.

I prefer transgender but after a number of therapy sessions have settled on gender "me"! My clothes are my clothes and my mannerism etc are mine! This eliminates the need for a label/box! Just be yourself and enjoy your life/your journey! Hugs Lana Mae
    Life is worth living!
    "Foxy lady! You look so good!!" Jimi Hendrix

I'm just me.....no labels please !

Language is a flexible almost living, breathing thing - changing usages constantly, with modern communications only accelerating the changes.
    I try not to take words too personal without understanding context and trying to fathom the speaker's intent.

My favorite example of the changes in the English language is the differences in two classic novels of only 80 years between them - Frankenstein and Dracula

I used to just mess around with women's clothes.
    It took a long time for me to acknowledge I am a crossdresser so I'm gonna stick with that.

mini kilted chick t-girlxsophie's Avatar
    Transvestite or Crossdresser Sorry to be blunt but I really couldn't give a toss which one I get called. I'm happy with either

Sophie
    Last edited by t-girlxsophie; 01-29-2019 at 10:33 PM.
    We look to Scotland,for all our Ideas of Civilisation-Voltaire

========================================

A woman who loves to wear beautiful clothes is like a flower.
    A man who loves to emulate these women is a special flower-a rose
    Facebook:Sophie Johnson

Crossdresser suits me well since I'm more of a hobbyist / part timer.

The trans- words for me means transitioning to something more permanently beautiful whereas I'm not really changing much more than my clothes and maybe mannerisms and all but it's all very fleeting and not I always intend to revert.

But that's just me, everyone should be free to identify the word, words or no words they feel is right for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Babette View Post
    Labelling seems to place people "in a box". Too often that box is used to pit one group against another. If I could pick my own label, I would be honored if people referred to me as a really nice person.

BB
    I believe this to be spot on. When a person encounters something they don’t understand, they have to quantify it and categorize it into something they can wrap their head around. Lots of times, this can create fear or hate of the new thing they just encountered.

I don’t know what I am. I don’t know what term I prefer. I just want to be who I am and be treated like a human being. I am not a monster. I am not something to be scared of.
    The views expressed in this post are not necessarily the views expressed in this post.

Twitter @beth785cd

I’m just a simple cross dresser. I have no interest in living as a woman or really even trying to emulate one so I do not consider myself transgender. I am 100% straight male. However, I like to u Deirdre’s and dress up in private from time to time. So, if I am any kind of “trans” it would be transvestite.

Reality Check
    And of course there's "he/she".
    Krisi

You started a good thread here, JessicaJelena!

I'm in my early 60s and the term, transvestite, was used to describe a person such as I, a man who enjoys dressing as a woman. I don't use that term anymore to describe myself as it does sound too clinical. I now describe myself as a crossdresser, but I sometimes refer to myself as a tranny and don't think it's derogatory. The term, transgender, came into vogue in the late 1980s, back when I was the newsletter editor for my CD support group. I see "transgender" as being an umbrella term for the entire spectrum of those who were born as one gender and identify in different ways as the other gender. For me, crossdresser fits, but I won't be offended by tranny either.!

Silver Member Majella St Gerard's Avatar
    I label myself as a Crossdresser. Transgender, to me means a want or need to be the opposite sex, that's not me. I like being a man, a man that enjoys wearing women's style of clothes and dressing up and looking or resembling an attractive woman. I've been referred to as a lesbian, I like women, I LOVE WOMEN, I love to kiss women and make love to women, dressed as a woman. I can dress as a woman and still be the dominate male in a relationship. I have met many strong dominate women that have been very feminine, soft and sexy.
    End of ramble.

Yep, pretty much feel the same as Majella.
    Or as Eddie Izzard said, I dont wear womens clothes, i wear clothes!