Thread: Just Took a Major Step, For Me at Least

Just Took a Major Step, For Me at Least

For most of you this may sound minor, but for me it is a major step in my progression. A little background. I'm in my mid 50s and I always have had a mustache. My wife of 30 years has never seen me without one. The only people that have seen me without a mustache are my mom and a couple of friends from high schools I still see occasionally . One of my goals this year is to learn how to do makeup better. It's kind of hard to do makeup with a mustache.

So this afternoon, with my wife's help, the mustache no longer exists.

After shaving, I went ahead and changed, no makeup, because I don't have time this afternoon. When I came out of the bedroom, my wife was facing away from me and I told her to look and if she had an issue with how I looked, I'd go change to guy clothes. She looked and said she had no issues and asked why I would ask that question. She is not very good about sharing her feelings, even about normal stuff. I was worried the lack of a mustache might be too far for her. She is not overly "hip" about me CDing, but is very understanding. I said something about not want to push her limits and she said she doesn't really have any limits for me. She knows my limits are probably lower than hers.

I can hardly wait to see where I go from here. Hopefully to being able to makeup in am acceptable manner.

Any suggestions for web sites on applying makeup for older people?

Gold Member
    I have a Mustache also, for over 50 years now. My wife said that it does not come off,
    She was OK with my dressing, but my chest hair, and mustache where her's.
    So I abide by the rules. But that is OK, I would never pass, way to much like
    a Lumber Jack.
    Rader

The principles of makeup are the same regardless of age. Being older, really the best thing you can do is get into a good skincare routine that will minimize lines and wrinkles. Other than that, go easy on the foundation so it doesn’t settle into lines too much and make sure to use a lipliner to prevent your lipstick from feathering.

Jenn, I just love to hear things like this. I am very very happy for you. My wife is similar to yours.
    Crissy

Watch a lot of make up videos for mature skin! There are as many techniques as their are people! Practice, practice, practice. It really is an art, and no one else's face will be just like yours

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Keep your lines of communication open and talk just her indifference now doesn't mean you have a green light to go whole hog and buy clothes ,make up ,wigs all that stuff.
    She can and probably will change her mind if you go hog wild.

Jenn! Wonderful news! I'm sure that it is something different and new and you have a different feeling about yourself, almost immediately. There are many different sites about makeup applications - all are just about the same, showing the same tricks and tips, just different people. Take look at several before you decide to dive into the makeup world, and of course, its only the practice will you learn these skills. I'm still in that learning phase too .... oh, and get yourself a good lighted mirror because that will help quite a bit

Well I'm older than dirt and found if I use my bifocals I get better results doing my makeup..... Really just practice and I found what works for one may not be another persons cup of tea. I was lucky at first my wife was very supportive and helped me learn a few makeup skills then she just shut it off to the point of DADT.

Jen, I feel you have made a tremendous step.

Now wash your face and learn a little about makeup.

You may feel like a painted doll the first few times, but that soon passes.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Hi Jenn and congratulations on your next step. I would say that others have provided some pretty accurate recommendations. Take things slow and steady. Have fun and stay safe.
    Teri Ray Rural Idaho Girl.

Jenn, good luck with the makeup.
    Please call me Jamie, I always_have crossdressed, I always will, "alwayshave".

Congratulations, Jenn! That is a major step for sure. It definitely does open up a different level of female presentation without the facial hair. Enjoy!

I must add that your wife sounds wonderful.

Platinum Member
    I only want to add my congratulations on a meaningful step taken...not so much the mustache as the reveal and response from your wife. I hope you continue to grow together.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Good for you OP!
    My own recent into the realm of the clean-shaven didn't go as well as your own, a story I've told elsewhere but I'm looking forward to when things are settled enough that I can try again.
    Good luck with the makeup. Be sure to keep us updated.

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenn_8B View Post
    Any suggestions for web sites on applying makeup for older people?
    When I read the last sentence I had to check your bio page. In the 50's? Older people? You're a youngster. Perhaps a mature woman. Anyway, if I were to use my wife as an example, and, those in her age group, less is better. Light on the makeup assuming you have minimal beard shine. Women do not go around the house with full makeup on.

In Texas, women do hang around the house in full makeup. But that's beside the point. The best way to learn how to do makeup is by just doing it. I've seen lots of youtube videos, none of which were particularly helpful, except for the very basics like: "put on liquid foundation then set it with powder." Get some stuff, then practice, practice, practice. If you make yourself look like a clown, wash it off and start over.

Everyone,

Thank you for the makeup advice.

Side note: My teenage son is upset over the missing mustache. He'll get over it, eventually.

I have asked several times if I could shave off the mustache which was answered by a huge Hell no!!!
    as she loves my hair that I have left.

Have a great time on your new you!!!!
    If you can't laugh and have fun you might as well go home.

Aspiring Member
    I got rid of my moustache and beard a few years ago. First time in 25 years that I had been clean shaven. Made such a difference to my CDing as I was able to do proper makeup.
    There are many youtube videos about makeup for older women. Watch some of those and then practice, practice, practice.

Definitely not unusual to shave that unwanted facial fluff, and as it is your face then you ultimately decide. After all, we don’t decide on other peoples hairstyles. So well done you.

Now that is a major step after 30 years. Is your top lip cold now LOL?
    Your son will get over it, it’s just a big change; it’s probably been there all his lifetime.
    Well if he likes moustaches that much he can grow his own

But seriously. I wonder if you will have lighter regrowth there than most guys because you haven’t been shaving it all these years, so overall it might be good under makeup

Older people? You're going to be overwhelmed to see yourself with make up, you're going to look 10 years younger.
    There are so many YouTube videos for crossdressing g make up. My comment is not be dissapointed for the failures, keep trying. If your wife supports you ask her for as ice on make up. The only thing that probably she doesn't obviously know is beard concealer. Even in beauty supplies as Ulta beauty or Sally you will find concealers for the blue or dark blue marks, it usually will be an orange color.
    Don't forget to post pics please...
    HRT 042018; Full time 032019
    Orchiectomy 062020; gender& name legal changed 102020
    Electrolysis face begins 082019, in genitals for GCS 062021
    Breast augmentation surgery 012022
    GCS 072022; BBL 022023; GCS revision 04203;END TRANSITION

You said the SO helped in the removal. That was a sign that you might have noticed as to the reason she was not surprised. She had been thinking about.
    Leslie Mary Shy
    Remember this:
    You do not have to be a man to love a woman, or be a woman to love women's clothes on her or yourself.

Things change as time goes on.
    I had a mustache when I was 17, mostly because I was playing night clubs by then and it would help me to do so. I've had full beards, goatees and a few other permutations and combinations. By my late 40s it had grayed enough that it started looking like snot, so I trimmed it to a hairline stash (the one favored by used car salesmen and similar types), finally losing it entirely. Luckily my hair stayed brown (my sister's too, and she's 81), except at the temples (some gray at 70 plus) and I have all my hair, which I've managed to grow down past my shoulder blades.
    ALWAYS plan for the worst, then you can be pleasantly surprised if something else happens!

"The important thing about the bear is not how well she dances, but that she dances at all." - Old Russian Proverb (with a gender change)

Reality Check
    It's really hard to pass for a woman with a mustache so it's good that you shaved it off. To me, facial hair makes a man look older and once we get past our twenties, that's not necessarily a good thing.

As for makeup, yes there are tutorials on Youtube but remember, anyone can post anything on Youtube. The person making the video might not know any more about it than you already do. If you want to use videos, look for ones produced by makeup companies. Also, your wife might be able to help you.
    Krisi