Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So that happened

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

So that happened

So a couple of weeks ago I was in an accident and had to be taken to the ER for my injuries. As I called and told my wife I realized that I had recently painted my toenails the most sparkly red color I had in my collection box and also had shaved my legs within a few days. This was stressing me out more than the injury at the time and my wife responded with "don't worry we can tell them out kid did it".

So after sitting in the ER for what seemed like an eternity I was ushered into the back room and took my place on a stretcher and after waiting a while longer a DR came in to look at the injury which required taking off my socks. There in all their Red Sparkly glory were my nails, and to my suprise not even a second look or reaction. Although I should have seen this coming as they are medical staff, they are not worried what I look like but how to fix my injuries.

It was not until a little later that someone actualy made a comment on how nice they looked and who did them for me and really the only other comment was from the recovery nurses who were quite enthralled with them and told me I could confide in them. I did keep the story going but also added it's 2019 and it's not a big deal.

It was still quite funny as I spent the next 4 days being rolled around or hopping around the ward with my red nails not giving a crap at that point, it was nice. And only a single nurse noticed just before I went home that my legs were shaved.

Anyone else have a story like this?

Cynthia
    Be Yourself, And Be Fabulous While Doing it!

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    How fortunate that your nails were a bigger worry for than your injuries, Cynthia!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

The injury is pretty bad Sherry, but it's the stupid small things that worry you when the adrenaline is all jacked up. Or at least it was for me.

Cynthia

Something similar happen to me about 3 yrs ago I was taken by ambulance to the ER after an accident at the time I was wear panties and had dark blue toe nails. Like you no one on the medical staff ever commented about either. Everyone was concern with my treatment.

Banned Read only
    Cynthia,
    So glad to hear you are recovering , the World may have nearly ended in a different way but thankfully not because of your nails .

I have been for Xrays and other procedures and donated blood three times since being dressed full time , I had to smile at the radiologist who came out to me about his Cding by telling me he was a Goth and had great weekends away with a group of them .

Cynthia,

Another step towards being out.

I was given a pink robe by the male orderly when last in hospital his only question was how long had I been wearing a bra.

You see, I have indentations around my chest from wearing them for many years.

So everybody knows.....
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

I spent 8 days in the hospital during this past November. I was overdue for a pedicure. My toes had a shade of blue with 50-60% coverage. Everyone was professional. I got occasional compliments from staff and no odd looks or remarks.

Similar thing happened to me, although not through any accident. Last year I underwent a series of tests for potential prostate problems, which included a MRI scan and a biopsy. In both cases stripped below the waist. At the time nylon nails were a teal blue colour, which was admired by the radiologist and nurses.
    This last couple of weeks I have had some follow up repeat tests. Same processes, and same staff. The Doctor who performed the biopsy, remembered me from the previous visit, and seemed disappointed that my nails were not coloured this time.

Hope your recovery is good

One time I cut my hand on a piece of broken glass. one look at it and I knew i'd need stitches so I wrapped a T shirt around my injury and off to the hospital emergency room I went. My nails were painted a nice violet color and when I was called I was wondering what the reaction was going to be. It was NO reaction.....I was given a tetanus shot, then a shot of novocaine in the hand, and finally seven stitches. No comment whatsoever by the doctor. When I went back to have the stitches taken out I decided to leave my nails painted and once again there was no comments or funny looks. Right after my divorce I was dating a nurse who I was out to, and she told me that they get all kinds of people, including many GLBT people.

I have Gel nails and wear them 24/7.03000179.jpg
    Not quite as pointy as these are. I had to pick up a parcel and sign for it at my local post office, the counter clerk commented that I had 'long nails for a man' I countered with 'I am learning to play the harp', she just said 'Oh!'. I also went to give a blood sample, the phlebotomist ( blood tech) said ' what a lovely colour on your nails' (they only had a clear coat on), she then went on to show me the colour she was having for an upcoming holiday; so, no medical staff don't really care what your appearance is like they are just professional in their job, unless the have an affinity with how you are presenting.
    Carole

WARNING:Any institutions or individuals using this site or any of its associated sites for studies , projects or any other reasons You DO NOT have permission to use any of my profile or pictures in any form or forum posts both current and future. If you have or do, it will be considered a violation of my privacy and will be subject to legal action.

Slip Into Something Femme Piora's Avatar
    Thanks for sharing this, Cynthia. This is something I worry about as well - having to go to the hospital without warning and having painted toenails. I use Little Ondine, which is a water based polish, and easier to remove, but even that wouldn't help if there was a sudden need to go to the hospital and had no time to remove it. Glad you received such a positive reaction.
    "Taking the time to be in touch with my feminine side"

Glad you are recovering!
    And it’s the little things we worry about .
    And see it was not a big deal to them st all.
    If you are a Genetic Female (Female at Birth) and would like to join us in the F.A.B. Forum, please follow the link.

F.A.B. Forum Access

Sherlyn,My beautiful sweet girl
    You forever and always will be my one and only true love . ❤️

Administrator

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Glad they got you fixed up but what did you think was going to happen when they saw your toe nails?
    What was going thru your mind OMG they are going to think I am gay and laugh? Thats pretty homophobic you know.
    Scream out all over the ward "hey this guy has toe nail polish on"?

I was at the chiropractor one time and he said that he needed to get an x-ray of my lower back. I had to take my blue jeans off because they did not want the button and rivets in the photo. They have me a gown to put on and said that I could leave my underwear on. I figured it all worked out because they never saw me in my panties. The doctor brought the slides in and put them on the lighted glass and to my surprise, there just as bold as Dallas, was a small flattened figure 8 in the small of my back. I was wearing keyhole panties and the little metal piece was where the string was connected to the waist band. He stared at it quizzically and asked,"What is that in the small of your back?" I just kind of grinned and said it's an embellishment on my panties. He just turned back around and looked at the x-ray and said, "Oh. I think I can still see everything I need to." My heart was racing and I was so glad they did not take my blood pressure after that.

Hope your recovering well Cynthia, nice story, one can imagine all the stuff ER people get to see
    A.K.A Rebecca & Bec

I loved hearing everyone else's stories. I am currently waiting at home for surgery and have cleaned off the polish, it was getting pretty crappy looking but it was nice to be able to spend so many days with it right out there and not have a care in the world.

Cynthia

I have had more than one trip to the ER with painted nails, shaved body and panties on. It is no big deal and those that worked on you have seen it all.

I've had a couple of similar events - both were handled uneventfully and professionally by the doctors. Once was during my annual physical. I had either forgotten or didn't care that my toenails were painted a light pink. The doc had me remove my shoes and socks to examine my feet. Not sure what that is about, but he held and looked my foot for a long time, perhaps assessing my circulation? He had a friendly grin when summarizing my exam, but didn't mention my toes. If you are in the Austin area, Dr. Gaertner is as good a doc as I've ever had. I miss him, having moved away a couple years back.

The other was during a FAA-required physical. I was traveling for business and found a doc that had availability in the city I was visiting. I didn't have any male underwear with me and considered buying some, but it just wasn't worth it to me. I did switch to some less-frilly bikini panties, but the satin material and tiny bow on the front made it clear they were women's. He had me standing in only my panties for a couple of minutes while examining my skin, but treated me respectfully and didn't say a word.

As others have said, medical professionals have undoubtedly seen it all. Perhaps they find it amusing, but their job is to help us become or to remain healthy, not to judge us for how we present.

I haven't ended up in the ER with nail polish (except for hard as nails- clear), but I was wearing a beautiful pastel pink nail polish and didn't realize it also had a halo effect. I went into the truck stop to get my receipt and the cashier saw my nails and started praising the color and effect and said how she thought how get it was to see someone with guts enough to be out at my age. All I could think to say was thanks, get my receipt and get back to work after finding some polish remover.

My wife was a nurse practitioner and was team leader of a helicopter trauma team. So, she been there, done that. Her take? Yeah, they're professionals and will treat you in that fashion. BUT... they may well still have a laugh over our nails or knickers. Same as sharing x-rays of objects in orifices. It's not professional but it happens. Especially if the community is small enough that you might have a clinician you already know socially. Or you might bump into someone involved in your care. That person WILL remember your underwear and, sadly, may judge you somewhat. Hello transphobia. My wife says this cos she's seen it and would hate for any clinician to discover my secret, despite us living in a more populous area. I dunno.
    The lesson, I guess, is wear what you want but don't be surprised by the odd snigger over coffee.

Went away with my GF for a weekend back in November. We were going to see a movie but realized that the one we wanted to see was not showing that week. The town we were in had many spas, GF suggested we go get a couples massage instead. I didn't want to be a spoiler so I went along. My pink toe nails and underwear didn't seem to be noticed by the staff. I am sure they talked about me later.

These stories all remind me about my mothers saying when I was a teenager and starting to drive every where in my old 53 Chevy, she would first want to know where I was going and always followed with hope you have on clean underwear in case there's an accident. I never figured why clean under wear would give me a better doctoring if I had an accident. Now since I wear my panties a lot under my work wranglers I just make sure they are clean. Luckily haven't had to undress but have had stupid things like cuts on my head from a cattle panel and a tetanus shot in my hip. Had on my panties but the nurse just gave it to me right above where I pulled my jeans down a little holding the panties and pants together so she couldn't see. ( but if I'd have had a bad accident at they would have been clean, so mother would have been proud bless her soul)

Reality Check
    Doctors and nurses will not say anything about your nail polish or what you are wearing to your face but they will talk about it to their co-workers and friends. We have a friend who is an ER nurse and she often talks about her patients. No names of course.
    Krisi

Once I was having a lot of pain in my calf so my doctor sent me to an imaging center for an ultra sound. I could have changed out of my panties but I thought what the heck, they will be looking at my calf. It was summer so I was wearing shorts. The tech who was smoking hot scanned my calf and all of a sudden asked if I was wearing boxers or briefs. I was stunned but managed to say briefs which was technically correct even though they were oink with lace around the waist. She said 'good just take off your shorts and you can leave your underwear on' . I about had a heart attack until she handed me a blanket and stepped out while I undressed and covered up. She scanned me from the groin to the knee. I was never so happy when she finally finished. I was tired thinking about baseball.