Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So that happened

So that happened

So a couple of weeks ago I was in an accident and had to be taken to the ER for my injuries. As I called and told my wife I realized that I had recently painted my toenails the most sparkly red color I had in my collection box and also had shaved my legs within a few days. This was stressing me out more than the injury at the time and my wife responded with "don't worry we can tell them out kid did it".

So after sitting in the ER for what seemed like an eternity I was ushered into the back room and took my place on a stretcher and after waiting a while longer a DR came in to look at the injury which required taking off my socks. There in all their Red Sparkly glory were my nails, and to my suprise not even a second look or reaction. Although I should have seen this coming as they are medical staff, they are not worried what I look like but how to fix my injuries.

It was not until a little later that someone actualy made a comment on how nice they looked and who did them for me and really the only other comment was from the recovery nurses who were quite enthralled with them and told me I could confide in them. I did keep the story going but also added it's 2019 and it's not a big deal.

It was still quite funny as I spent the next 4 days being rolled around or hopping around the ward with my red nails not giving a crap at that point, it was nice. And only a single nurse noticed just before I went home that my legs were shaved.

Anyone else have a story like this?

Cynthia
    Be Yourself, And Be Fabulous While Doing it!

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    How fortunate that your nails were a bigger worry for than your injuries, Cynthia!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Something similar happen to me about 3 yrs ago I was taken by ambulance to the ER after an accident at the time I was wear panties and had dark blue toe nails. Like you no one on the medical staff ever commented about either. Everyone was concern with my treatment.

The injury is pretty bad Sherry, but it's the stupid small things that worry you when the adrenaline is all jacked up. Or at least it was for me.

Cynthia

Banned Read only
    Cynthia,
    So glad to hear you are recovering , the World may have nearly ended in a different way but thankfully not because of your nails .

I have been for Xrays and other procedures and donated blood three times since being dressed full time , I had to smile at the radiologist who came out to me about his Cding by telling me he was a Goth and had great weekends away with a group of them .

Cynthia,

Another step towards being out.

I was given a pink robe by the male orderly when last in hospital his only question was how long had I been wearing a bra.

You see, I have indentations around my chest from wearing them for many years.

So everybody knows.....
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

I spent 8 days in the hospital during this past November. I was overdue for a pedicure. My toes had a shade of blue with 50-60% coverage. Everyone was professional. I got occasional compliments from staff and no odd looks or remarks.

Similar thing happened to me, although not through any accident. Last year I underwent a series of tests for potential prostate problems, which included a MRI scan and a biopsy. In both cases stripped below the waist. At the time nylon nails were a teal blue colour, which was admired by the radiologist and nurses.
    This last couple of weeks I have had some follow up repeat tests. Same processes, and same staff. The Doctor who performed the biopsy, remembered me from the previous visit, and seemed disappointed that my nails were not coloured this time.

Hope your recovery is good

One time I cut my hand on a piece of broken glass. one look at it and I knew i'd need stitches so I wrapped a T shirt around my injury and off to the hospital emergency room I went. My nails were painted a nice violet color and when I was called I was wondering what the reaction was going to be. It was NO reaction.....I was given a tetanus shot, then a shot of novocaine in the hand, and finally seven stitches. No comment whatsoever by the doctor. When I went back to have the stitches taken out I decided to leave my nails painted and once again there was no comments or funny looks. Right after my divorce I was dating a nurse who I was out to, and she told me that they get all kinds of people, including many GLBT people.

I have Gel nails and wear them 24/7.03000179.jpg
    Not quite as pointy as these are. I had to pick up a parcel and sign for it at my local post office, the counter clerk commented that I had 'long nails for a man' I countered with 'I am learning to play the harp', she just said 'Oh!'. I also went to give a blood sample, the phlebotomist ( blood tech) said ' what a lovely colour on your nails' (they only had a clear coat on), she then went on to show me the colour she was having for an upcoming holiday; so, no medical staff don't really care what your appearance is like they are just professional in their job, unless the have an affinity with how you are presenting.
    Carole

WARNING:Any institutions or individuals using this site or any of its associated sites for studies , projects or any other reasons You DO NOT have permission to use any of my profile or pictures in any form or forum posts both current and future. If you have or do, it will be considered a violation of my privacy and will be subject to legal action.

Slip Into Something Femme Piora's Avatar
    Thanks for sharing this, Cynthia. This is something I worry about as well - having to go to the hospital without warning and having painted toenails. I use Little Ondine, which is a water based polish, and easier to remove, but even that wouldn't help if there was a sudden need to go to the hospital and had no time to remove it. Glad you received such a positive reaction.
    "Taking the time to be in touch with my feminine side"

Glad you are recovering!
    And it’s the little things we worry about .
    And see it was not a big deal to them st all.
    If you are a Genetic Female (Female at Birth) and would like to join us in the F.A.B. Forum, please follow the link.

F.A.B. Forum Access

Sherlyn,My beautiful sweet girl
    You forever and always will be my one and only true love . ❤️

Administrator

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Glad they got you fixed up but what did you think was going to happen when they saw your toe nails?
    What was going thru your mind OMG they are going to think I am gay and laugh? Thats pretty homophobic you know.
    Scream out all over the ward "hey this guy has toe nail polish on"?

There's that smile! CarlaWestin's Avatar
    Worrying about the hidden accoutrements is part of the struggle of the climb. It's so refreshing to just look around and enjoy the view from the plateau called, "You know, I just don't give a............!"
    I've waited so long for this time. Makeup is so frustrating. Shaking hands and I look so old. This was a mistake.
    My new maid's outfit is cute. Sure fits tight.
    And then I step into the bedroom and in the mirror, I see a beautiful woman looking back at me.
    Smile, Honey! You look fabulous!

Silver Member
    Twice, red toe nails in the hospital. No problems or negatives. One nurse told me, nice color! I asked her not to say anything, and she replied that polished nails on guys is not unusual.

I've been to the ER twice underdressed (admitted to the hospital both times.) My regular doctor has seen my red toenails several times, and my red fingernails a couple of times. No big deal. He's also seen me in panties, since I don't have any male underwear.

I've been in the hospital twice, once for nine days, the other time for four, with pretty polished toenails on full display. I only got one comment from a nurse during the first visit, who gushed about the color and seemed to genuinely like them. Otherwise, they were totally ignored. I never bother to take off the polish for doctor's office visits anymore, although I did remove it once for an MRI (the polish can heat up in the magnetic field if it contains glitter or other metallic components). But that was for a purely practical reason.

I've been keeping my fingernails colored a lot more for the last several months, and have decided I won't remove the polish the next time I have a medical appointment. By chance, I've only had the occasion to be wearing red nails for one outpatient blood draw, so far. (No noticeable reaction from anyone.)

- Diane

I have been in and around hospitals a doctors for the past 20yrs and one thing i know for sure.No matter what they have seen it all before you was not the first and will not be the last.Only thing they care about is helping you.
    Flickr- https://www.flickr.com/photos/brandiedaniels/

I'd guess that about half of my doctors have seen my painted nails. Some because I didn't see a good enough reason to remove a perfectly nice pedicure, and I didn't care what their reaction would be. Others, because I received an unanticipated request to remove my shoes and socks.

I did go to the ER once with my wife because I was having a sharp pain down my left arm. Fortunately, it wasn't a heart attack. But, to get to that point, I had to have a heart cath. I was more worried about my wife finding out that the nurses, so when my wife went to lunch leaving me in the hands of the nurses, I told ne of them what my problem was. I asked her if she could issue me a pair of the hospital socks with the anti-slip bottoms. She had no problems at all.

Another time I cut my leg a week before Keystone and got 10 stitches. I needed to have them removed while I was at Keystone, so I found a local clinic. I went in full femme, and used my male insurance card. For some reason, they were taking a long time, and I just walked out.
    Hi, I'm Steffi and I'm a crossdresser... And I accept and celebrate both sides of me. Or, maybe I'm gender fluid.

I was under dressing when I was in for my stroke they had me take everything off plus my nails also were painted. They never said a thing.
    GLENDA
    I FEEL LIKE A WOMAN

Banned Read only
    I went into the ER for chest pains once and was wearing panties. I did't see any response in the ER but later they took me to image my heart. While they were imaging another nurse came in and started talking to my nurse about someone in the waiting room. Then I hear my nurse say "Oh that's nothing, see that guy over there? PANTIES!" and they both started giggling. If I was not so whacked-out from the morphine they gave me I probably would have gotten upset.

I was at the chiropractor one time and he said that he needed to get an x-ray of my lower back. I had to take my blue jeans off because they did not want the button and rivets in the photo. They have me a gown to put on and said that I could leave my underwear on. I figured it all worked out because they never saw me in my panties. The doctor brought the slides in and put them on the lighted glass and to my surprise, there just as bold as Dallas, was a small flattened figure 8 in the small of my back. I was wearing keyhole panties and the little metal piece was where the string was connected to the waist band. He stared at it quizzically and asked,"What is that in the small of your back?" I just kind of grinned and said it's an embellishment on my panties. He just turned back around and looked at the x-ray and said, "Oh. I think I can still see everything I need to." My heart was racing and I was so glad they did not take my blood pressure after that.

Hope your recovering well Cynthia, nice story, one can imagine all the stuff ER people get to see
    A.K.A Rebecca & Bec

I loved hearing everyone else's stories. I am currently waiting at home for surgery and have cleaned off the polish, it was getting pretty crappy looking but it was nice to be able to spend so many days with it right out there and not have a care in the world.

Cynthia