Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Acceptance of long hair and about whatever else

I agree with Abbiedrake. Hair length seems to be an American issue. In Australia very few people could g.a.f. about hair length. In any workplace it’s okay, as long as it’s clean and kept in an OH&S safe fashion.

I would agree that the U.S. military has gone overboard with short hair. Last time I worked with them (2007), anything longer than a number two was frowned upon, and clean shaven was preferred.

Michelle

Quote Originally Posted by biancabellelover View Post
    I agree with Abbiedrake. Hair length seems to be an American issue. In Australia very few people could g.a.f. about hair length. In any workplace it’s okay, as long as it’s clean and kept in an OH&S safe fashion.

I would agree that the U.S. military has gone overboard with short hair. Last time I worked with them (2007), anything longer than a number two was frowned upon, and clean shaven was preferred.

Michelle
    Clean Shaven is from having to wear gas masks, you can't get a good seal to your face with a beard. You need a medical waver or religious waver to wear a brard or even a long 'stash.
    Leslie Mary Shy
    Remember this:
    You do not have to be a man to love a woman, or be a woman to love women's clothes on her or yourself.

Hi Leslie,

Clean Shaven is from having to wear gas masks, you can't get a good seal to your face with a beard. You need a medical waver or religious waver to wear a brard or even a long 'stash.
    Sorry, no.

Firstly, by "clean shaven" I meant the haircut. I.e. shaved bald head. I didn't think I had to make that clear, as we were talking hair length.

Secondly, regarding the whole beard thing and gas masks: While "Clean shaven for gas masks" is the usual reason trotted out so that soldiers have their faces clean shaven, the claim is doubtful. Israeli army soldiers can have facial hair, some European armies allow long hair and facial hair, many Navies around the world allow their sailors to have beards, and many police forces around the world allow facial hair. All these forces use gas masks.

Cheers,

Michelle.

I once went to the gas chamber and there were a couple men who had beard weavers, Guess what? they had to leave the building because the gas got to their face and lungs very quickly. If you don't want to shave you get the gas.
    Leslie Mary Shy
    Remember this:
    You do not have to be a man to love a woman, or be a woman to love women's clothes on her or yourself.

Good for you Leslie!

What can I say? I've also done (more than enough) gas training. I was also clean shaven, but so what? All we've done is prove both of our personal experiences with in my case an Australian gas mask and in your case (I'm guessing) a gas mask issued to the USAF.

But I can guarantee you that my statements regarding other nations and other armed forces is correct. Some of those armed forces simply require that you're "clean shaven" when operationally required. While in barracks and on some operations facial hair is allowed. Some of those forces have requirements so that the beard is trimmed so as not to interfere with the seal, and some of those forces have gas masks that seal with a beard (the recent Canadian gas mask is a good example).

Further, there are "beard friendly" gas masks, as well as techniques to seal your mask while having a beard.

But as I said in my earlier reply: My reference to clean shaven was on the HEAD and not the face.

Michelle.

I have had long hair most of my life it’s about a foot or longer now and I often tie it back into a pony tail. Not only being natural blonde all my life but it’s still natural like 4 different shades of blond mixed too. Part of the reason I grew it out in the beginning was my dad when I was in school insisted on my hair being cut weekly. He made me get a flat top cut for all of high school and most made fun of me then. Now I just get mixed reactions like last October went to a national arts and crafts show here in Louisville Ky and afterwards stopped into an Applebee’s to have dinner and walked in with my hair down loose with my friend a gg and the waitress immediately as would you ladies like a seat at the bar or a table. We just laughed as she then seemed embarrassed even though I’m a cd lol but was still cool

I've been letting my hair grow for about 4-5 months and its getting below my collar in the back and below my ears on the sides. I plan to keep letting it grow till I get tired of it, if ever. The wife fussed at first but I simply told her that all my adult life I have purposely stayed within the "social and corporate" image for a professional in a conservative field. Now, at almost 68 and semi-retired I am going back to my younger days and letting it grow.
    I do get some comments from those that I have worked around for a long time. Most comments are good natured and friendly. I just tell them "if you got it, flaunt it!"

Molly

What I read in this post: “Thank god people are judging me less so I can judge other people”

Hair is a big thing for me! It's even a part of my username.. My hair is blonde and curly, and I just started growing it out because of the same sentiment you expressed. Society is going towards the "Who cares?" stance when it comes to men and women defying gender norms for hair length. I think girls at my high school even like my hair at its current length (about 5 inches)

I've never worn my hair 'really' short, except when I was a kid and my parents gave me no choice in the matter. As a teen, I had a cousin who wore his hair long, it was the late 70's/early 80's. He was the "cool" guy and I tried to emulate that, but still the parents would step in at some point and push the haircut issue. Usually they wouldn't let it hit the shoulders before the fighting would start. Now that no one has any say in how I wear it, it is terminal length. That is just falling off the shoulders at my age, it won't go any longer. People will comment on occasion, but I rarely hear anything disparaging.

For me, the feminine expression is a daily need even thought I am not out. I address the need via hair length, and whatever underdressing I find appropriate to the situation.