Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jobs

Jobs

So, I was recently laid off and find myself back in the job market.
    Using the job boards my resume has ended up being a match for jobs at SOMA, Lane Bryant and Catherine's. I thought it was funny and told my wife about it, joked about applying. Her response was pretty much a jobs a job and if they hire you go for it.
    So, I have my app in with all of them as well as Victoria's Secret, actually spoke with someone at SOMA and they were surprised at my knowledge of fashion, styles and fit, specifically the fit process.

Will anything come of it?, probably not. But, I found it interesting that they are at least entertaining the idea of it. I asked my wife if it would make her uncomfortable if she went in to a store and had a male SA there to help. She said as long as they don't try to come into the fitting room she wouldn't have an issue, it would be weird at first, but if they didn't act pervy or over the top about it she would be ok with it. I know she has found our conversations about bras, panties, skirts etc. informative and even fun. Getting a male perspective about what we really think about their clothes MAY be a fresh breath for them, and, that MAY be wishful thinking on my part. Either way, I thought it was unique.

I’m on the job hunt myself, and have been applying for all kinds of positions. I’ve definitely applied for some retail jobs at stores like that, but haven’t heard anything back. The Victoria’s Secret here was also applying, but I was nervous to apply, just because I was sure they would hardly give my resume a look, gender discrimination is real, lol. But I say go for it, your specific knowledge and point of you, make you a good fit for a job like that.
    Good luck!

Hi Heather,

Wow, applying to SOMA, Lane Bryant and others for an SA's position. That's different from what you were doing before. Of course as your wife pointed out a jobs, a job.

Would you be going in male or female mode if hired? Just wondering.

Good luck with the job search and do let us know if you get an nibbles or bites from the ladies venue's. We'd love to hear about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Linda E. Woodworth View Post
    Hi Heather,

Wow, applying to SOMA, Lane Bryant and others for an SA's position. That's different from what you were doing before. Of course as your wife pointed out a jobs, a job.

Would you be going in male or female mode if hired? Just wondering.

Good luck with the job search and do let us know if you get an nibbles or bites from the ladies venue's. We'd love to hear about it.
    Its very different from what I was doing before - I've been doing IT work for the last 20 years so that's why the SA positions being a match for me was so funny. To answer your question I would be in male mode but underdressed as normal. A unique perspective and knowledge base to pull from. My local SOMA store knows me since I shop there frequently and the manager knows I wear bras and panties ... be funny to get an interview with her.

Reality Check
    If I was looking for a job (I'm retired), I would be aiming a lot higher than sales clerk at a woman's clothing store. I would be looking for something with a chance to learn better skills and a chance for advancement. A job with benefits and a retirement plan. A career.
    Last edited by Krisi; 02-13-2019 at 10:09 AM.
    Krisi

The place that I used to work for and have since retired from hired a M-F Transgender person as a contractor. It was an IT job and she did a good job IMO. My department was reorganized and she was transferred to another group. Her contract was not renewed when it ended. In New York State, it's illegal to discriminate against LBGT folks.

I have seen guys work at Victoria's Secret.

I did part time work in a drapery store when I left school, my job was to fold all the clothing neatly after customers had fingered and ruffled the clothing stacks.

A couple of times I was asked to try a dress on for a customer as I was about the girls size.

It was hard to suppress the enjoyment I got doing this.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    Oh, Heather! I thot u meant, Steve!
    Good luck on finding a good job!

I've had a couple jobs in my life. When they were necessary. Mostly they had me doing things the hard way. I tended to quickly figure out easier, better ways to do my job. But, they were boring in any case!

I prefer to work for myself. I can be sure I'm not smarter than the boss that way!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

I have sen men working makeup counters and they were quite good. They were probably gay at least very feminine men. I certainly enjoyed having them work on my make up and I always ended up spending too much with them.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Sallee

My favorite clothing store is Torrid and my wife works there. They are very transgender friendly towards customers but I really doubt they would ever hire a male or transgender. And I feel like this is kind of ok since there are going to be women who will feel uncomfortable around non cis women and could impact their bottom line.

You do know that they are not allowed to discriminate because you are a man right? I know for a fact that Victoria’s Secret employs far more cis- straight- men than most people realize.

Reality Check
    If they are not allowed to discriminate because I'm a man, I'm going to find me a job as a bra fitter! I know how to use a tape measure.
    Krisi

Quote Originally Posted by Krisi View Post
    If I was looking for a job (I'm retired), I would be aiming a lot higher than sales clerk at a woman's clothing store. I would be looking for something with a change to learn better skills and a chance for advancement. A job with benefits and a retirement plan. A career.
    See, I didn't say I was aiming for this job, I said - the job board said it was a match. I thought it was funny so applied for it because, well why not?

I've had my career, started at the bottom and worked my way up, paid my dues and have the grey hair and ulcers that show it. The whole point of this post was to share something funny that had happened and what was happening with it.

Being over 40 and having to compete with the younger folk for jobs isn't easy. The 74 jobs I've applied to, the 30+ refusal/denial/sorry you're not the right fit/thanks for your time letters, the no response at alls, and the 10 interviews I've managed to land but haven't gotten the jobs show that.

It's a tough sell, I was grabbing that bit of humor and embracing it.

But I'm glad you were able to retire out of your job, guess I'll get back to pushing my boulder up the hill for the day which appears to be my new career.

Have a happy.

[SIZE=1]- - - Updated - - -[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by Micki_Finn View Post
    You do know that they are not allowed to discriminate because you are a man right? I know for a fact that Victoria’s Secret employs far more cis- straight- men than most people realize.
    Hey Micki - I do and the lady I spoke with on the phone about the SOMA position even pointed that out. Her hold back was lack of sales experience which is a true. I honestly don't expect this to go any further than what it already has. But, was a new experience regardless.

[SIZE=1]- - - Updated - - -[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by docrobbysherry View Post
    Oh, Heather! I thot u meant, Steve!
    Good luck on finding a good job!

I've had a couple jobs in my life. When they were necessary. Mostly they had me doing things the hard way. I tended to quickly figure out easier, better ways to do my job. But, they were boring in any case!

I prefer to work for myself. I can be sure I'm not smarter than the boss that way!
    Steve? You lost me there.
    Working for myself would be great ... have to figure that one out. Ha.

Katrinakatt
    Having a job is so difficult especially for me, I’m always preoccupied with a pink gender haze

well of course it's illegal to discriminate based on gender, but they'll never admit to any wrongdoing or that they didn't hire you because you were a man or transgender. They'll claim that you're 'over qualified' or, it 'wasn't the right fit,' or simply that another candidate had better qualifications/more experience. That's just the way of the world.

Asew, perhaps times are changing. The Torrid in Spartanburg, SC has a guy working there that dresses en femme. Also, the Torrid in Winston-Salem, NC has a male manager. I would love to work for Torrid and wear their clothes to work everyday. Their employees get a 40-50% discount. I would spend all of my paycheck there and at Sephora. I do have more confidence in the fashion advice I get from the female SAs, however.

Natalie

Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by docrobbysherry View Post

what I like about being the boss is the opportunity to hire people who really are smarter than me. Makes life so much easier.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Please let us know if you do get hired! How cool. Besides, some women like being told how nice they look by a guy. I used to sell Avon and was successful with it for that reason I believe.

Silver Member
    In my fantasy mind, I get a job at a place like Talbot's, higher end at a livable wage, after retiring from my current Engineering career. Huge cut in pay, but I would dress everyday. Like I say, total fantasy. The pay cut alone would hurt.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kimdl93 View Post
    what I like about being the boss is the opportunity to hire people who really are smarter than me. Makes life so much easier.
    Maybe that's why I've mostly worked alone, Kim!?
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

I would love to work part time as a woman.
    I think it would be fun and educational

JAS

I have a friend who worked at VS in the back stocking things before she transitioned. She was in male mode at first.
    Crissy

Aspiring Member
    My sister managed a Torrid. She had 2 guys working for her. Both were drag queens. One of them even came to work dressed. she said it actually drew in customers.
    It would be fun.
    Sara

Silver Member
    While I was in college I worked for an upscale clothing store. We had a men's department, but I usually worked in the women's department as floor manager. All the SAs were my mothers age or older. I worked hard to support them and was very popular with them. I worked on the floor assisting the SAs, approving credit purchases, no computers. Making sure that the cash registers had the right combination of funds etc. We catered to women who could spend serious money. We also loaned dresses to certain clients to wear to special events. Often we would send a driver out with several dresses to select from. When we got them back I could buy them at manufacture's cost or below. If one of the SAs liked a dress I would adjust the price for them otherwise they would be put on the returns rack. The women figured out I was buying dresses and started pointing out dresses that were age appropriate for me. It became kind of a joke the way they phrased their suggestions. If I was going to a movie they would mention, this would be a good movie dress. More than once I slipped into a closed dressing room to try one on.

I transferred to another college and left the store, but went back to visit on holidays a few times. More than once I was asked if I was looking for something special. LOL It was a great experience and while I didn't get rich I did build a great wardrobe.