Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Does the public really acceot us more now?

Cams don't have to be visible now days. Yes you can stop looking for a reaction that's good.

One place I see problems with acceptance is when someone decides to transition at their job. I personally know a couple of transwomen that are having major problems at work.
    "You're the only one to see the changes you take yourself through", Stevie Wonder

Banned Read only
    "Upstate" NY USA.... Site of the first crash of the "Vin Fiz"
    "Now.. as apposed to when exactly?

There was a time, not too ago when a male cross dressing in public was illegal in most places in the US.. It's no longer illegal but, IMO, the public's attitude of male cross dresser has no really changed that much,
    The general public still views a male cross dresser as just a gay man... or some other sort of a male pervert. .

Its nolonger being illegal has helped a bit, but not that much.

Quote Originally Posted by Barbara Jo View Post
    "Now.. as apposed to when exactly?

There was a time, not too ago when a male cross dressing in public was illegal in most places in the US.. It's no longer illegal but, IMO, the public's attitude of male cross dresser has no really changed that much,
    The general public still views a male cross dresser as just a gay man... or some other sort of pervert...
    No, it does not. The actual percentage of the population in a given area who think that way will vary, but it is false to suggest that everyone does. And I am here to tell you that in the areas I frequent, acceptance is the predominant attitude. There are always the smirkers and scowlers, but they are a small minority. Many more are initially wary, but will reveal that they are decent human beings as soon as they realize this TG person is just another decent human being. And some, bless their hearts, go out of their way to interact positively.
    Yes, I live in a large metropolitan community and enjoy the existence of a more progressive populace, but still, Houston is not NYC or San Francisco, where there would be no gapers at all. And I could drive 90 miles east and have a rather different experience, but even then, it would not be what some here seem to think it is.
    One more thing to consider... I am one transsexual in a city of 6.5 million people, but every person whom I can take from wary to at least comfortable makes my world that tiny bit better. And I don't even bake.

Quote Originally Posted by Ressie View Post
    Cams don't have to be visible now days. Yes you can stop looking for a reaction that's good.

One place I see problems with acceptance is when someone decides to transition at their job. I personally know a couple of transwomen that are having major problems at work.
    I don't have any thoughts of transitioning, but If I were to start wearing high heels and skirts to work I an certain I would be looking for a new job shortly. I might not get fired because of it, but they would find some issue to use as an excuse.

I do believe that in general the public is more accepting, or at least tolerant, but there still is a few radical conservative males that find anyone that does not fit the typical macho male mold an enemy. I work with a few guys and the mention of gays just gets them going. Those that are out, be careful out there!

We all have individual experiences about real world people accepting, sometimes tolerating others dressed as the opposite of their birth gender. The looks and thoughts when someone sees us are the same whether CD, NB or TS, because they are only looking at a stranger and making their own decisions about who we are. I have been out hundreds of times and am now full time. My experiences are in San Francisco and the suburbs, Sacramento, the State's capital, Monterey and Carmel, California, Detroit, Michigan to the Detroit Institute of Art and a couple to LGBT friendly bars, Las Vegas, traveling en femme, and Kansas City to attend a wedding where I spent the whole time shopping, drinking and eating, plus attending the wedding, and including the air flights en femme. In those locations I have never, NEVER, have any negative experience.

I have read many posts from members all over our great Nation, Canada and the UK and EU, who have gone out during the day and night to "T" friendly venues and just out in the real world for shopping, coffee, dining or drinks or whatever ales there is to do, which is a lot, and "almost" all had a great time and had no negative experiences. Yes, a few have had some issues, most minor, but just a few. These members here have done this in large metropolitan areas and small rural areas in some of the traditional stereotypical very conservative areas.

So, first, if you want you can find safe areas everywhere to go out, hopefully one can find a sidekick/partner/friend or acquaintance to go out with to enjoy the sites. Second, the idea that the real world is mostly made up of haters and those that would do us harm is negative fantasy fears and should be discarded. Third, the majority of our population have some knowledge that transgender (umbrella term) people exist and do go out everywhere. Most do not really care. Yes, some may snicker and even make sarcastic comments occasionally. Last, acceptance may be hard for a lot of people, so they probably tolerate all of us, whether they understand us or not. We are different and they see that most of the time. However, they have so many other things in their own minds and activities, including the reasons they may be someplace where they see us. So, they see us, may think about what they saw, may stare to get a better look, comment to someone and then they move on and forget about us. If you interact with them in any way in a nice way you will see they really do not care and most times they will be friendly back to you. Go to the rough side of town and that may not be the case. However, most towns' rough sides are small compared to the whole.

I ask all those that state that the majority of real world people do not like us to please provide some solid proof that it truly is that way. Do each of you get out a lot, or just once in a while when the stars align and the SO or work provides you with the opportunity? Are the people who go out and always describe there good times wrong or not telling the truth? I would like to better understand why you think the way you do and how do you back up your claims. Thanks in advance if you can help me.