Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Electrolysis Humor

Silver Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeri Ann View Post
    Today at my electrolysis appointment I made the mistake of mentioning the rodeo. My electrologist got very ticked off. She is a PETA vegan. She started carrying on about how cruel it was to put a rope around a cow's neck and pull on it. She said this as she was sticking a needle in my private parts and applying electric current to it. I dunno. I think, at that moment, I would rather be the cow. Just sayin'.
    Funny!

(Note to self - never tick off an electrologist during a session ...)
    Lea

Girl underconstruction Paulette's Avatar
    The only way I could fall a sleep during a treatment was when I received numbing injections during marathon 7-8 hour days of Electrology. On some areas we went with out numbing and you can really feel the “gain” with the pain. I have all ways told folks when asked about the pain, that they have to pull up their big girl panties and hang on as it is going to hurt.
    Just and older girl trying to experience all that life can bring.
    "Life is not a dress rehearsal"

So, in the continuing effort to extract some humor out of electrolysis treatments, this is the best I can do. Undoubtedly some around here will find humor in it.

When I got to my appointment last Friday, my electrolysis was fuming. I thought someone mentioned the rodeo to her again. Nope, she was pissed because Kelly didn't show up for her appointment immediately preceding mine. I turned pale. I couldn't breathe. I knew what this meant. Sure enough, the next hour was hell. When I talked to Kelly next I chewed her butt out for doing that to me. Kelly swears that she let Dr. Millik know that she couldn't come. Yeah, right.

Remind me to send Kelly a check for cancelling her electrolysis appointment.

I knew that some sick person would find humor in my misfortune. Doctor, heal thyself.

I've given this a lot of thought. I'm going to find a new electrologist. LOL
    Calling bigotry an "opinion" is like calling arsenic a "flavor".

I don't think it is necessary to find a new electrolysis, just make your appointments after mine. Just sayin'.

I have my first electrolysis appointment on Tuesday. I am scared.

Do like I do and just sleep through the worst parts.

Seriously though, you may find that it's not as bad as you think, mostly. The area around the lips and under the nose? That's always the worst. Get a prescription for a powerful topical anesthetic, if you can. It does take the edge off in those areas.

Topical anesthetics? I needed a face full of lydocane to get past the lip area...
    I am not a woman; I don't want to be a woman; I don't want to be mistaken for a woman.
    I am not a man; I don't want to be a man; I don't want to be mistaken for a man.
    I am a transgender person. And I'm still figuring out what that means.

Pat,

The "topical" anesthetic that Kelly is referring to is BLT. It is an ointment of Benzocaine, Lydocaine and Tetracaine compounded by prescription only. While not as effective as injections, it is the most effective topical ointment available and is the most popular topical anesthetic used by dermatologist for skin procedures. The combination is faster acting, longer lasting and deeper penetrating than any other topical. Alas, there are places where even it doesn't seem to help but I am not going to be the test subject to determine if that is indeed true. Just sayin'

The topical recommended by Jeri Ann is really good even around nose and upper lip where it will decrease the discomfort but not eliminate it. Do not apply with bare fingers or get on your lips. It makes you type and stalk punny. No, I am nut dunk ossifficer...I’m num.

I've started on the upper lip now and today's electrolysis humor is that they started at the outside edges of the mustache area and are working towards the center from both sides over a few sessions. I told them: that's all very well as long as I don't end up looking like a certain German dictator who shall remain nameless.

Pain-wise... it's been fine so far. Parts of the chest were far worse. It must vary between people.
    Last edited by Eemz; 04-20-2019 at 03:41 PM. Reason: OT

I am wondering what you all think of taking an opioid pain pill, tramadol, before electrolysis? I have some left over from my GRS surgery. My appointment was just moved up to tomorrow. This is no laughing matter!

Ah no Dorit it’s not as bad as all that. Maybe take paracetamol or something and see how you go. And remember that the first round on any given area is the worst. Regrowth is easier to deal with because it’s not as strong as the originals. I don’t know if you’re talking about face, or an intimate area here: I can’t comment on the latter. You got over the GRS you’ll get over this :-) Good luck and let us know

The latest update is that I have a reprieve! I came down with chills, then a 39.2 C fever this afternoon. So I cancelled the appointment until further notice. I go to my family doctor tomorrow instead. After a year of laser, it is my face.

I used to take hydrocodone, left over from previous health procedures. It helped a little. Then I took a couple of ibuprofen, and then stopped all together. I just put up with the pain, and finally found out that after just a few zaps in a specific area my endorphins centered there and the pain seemed to lessen. So, I just endured the pain after that. I am now down to about 45 minutes every 8 weeks. It seems like it will never end!

Quote Originally Posted by Dorit View Post
    I am wondering what you all think of taking an opioid pain pill, tramadol, before electrolysis? I have some left over from my GRS surgery. My appointment was just moved up to tomorrow. This is no laughing matter!
    Dorit, I underwent 18 months of facial electrolysis without any pain medication or lidocaine cream. I had one session where the electrologist pounded on my chin for 5 1/2 hours, but it was just something to endure. Maybe being 1/4 Scandinavian helps. The genital electrolysis is another matter entirely. I am fortunate that the clinic where I have that done is owned by a surgeon who does SRS work. Her PA gives lidocaine injections starting with the willy and all around the perimeter. That hurts like hell and she gives me a couple of things to hold that look like rubber dog bone toys. The stinging subsides after a few minutes and the rest of the 3 1/2 hour session is painless. Wouldn't do it any other way.
    Shame on those who think ill of us -- Translated and paraphrased from the motto of the United Kingdom's Most Noble Order of the Garter

Dorit you will be fine. I can say that with absolute certainty as I have had about 150 hours of electrolysis so far in two hour sessions and have never taken any kind of a pain killer to deal with the pain. Yes it is quite painful, no doubt about that but not unbearably so. I found that the pain increased after I'd been on HRT a few months and its definitely most painful on the upper lip and around the mouth. But as I said its bearable. You will be fine.
    Last edited by Sara Olivia; 04-22-2019 at 02:08 PM.

Aspiring Member
    On Friday, there will be my 100th visit to my electrologist. I asked them if they're tired of seeing me and they said - aren't you tired of having me I am trying to decide if it is worth celebration. Time wise I am at 85 hours on the face and about 25 hours on the chest and have mostly upper lip and neck left. I agree with others, first few zaps are the most painful and then you slowly start to develop bare minimum tolerance for that pain. The hardest are the first clearances of any new areas. I found the first clearance of the chest was even more painful than upper lip. The joke was - "That upper lip sounds better and better, isn't it ?"
    I was taking 400-500mg of ibuprofen an hour before appointment up until few weeks ago and after forgetting few times, I realized I can deal with pain for 60-90 minutes as is. Now, I feel like I turned the corner as upper face minus the upper lip is all but cleared and I had first few full neck clearances. Oh yeah...the first clearance on the neck required as many as 4-6 pulses per hair folical on very high setting and it was painful! Now, 2-3 pulses and you can bear it. I have little fat layer which I was told helps as it acts as a buffer between the skin and bones that seemed to be the worst places on the neck (chin, jew line). My electrologist is the best. Has always funny stories to help me through.
    Last edited by Katya@; 04-22-2019 at 08:44 PM.

I finally after a long delay because of illness just returned from my first electrolysis session. I did take a pain pill before I arrived and it went well. She only wanted to do a half hour session for the first time to see how I react. She said she had an experienced eye for the hairs that were in the right growth stage to kill so she worked all over my face rather than clearing all the hairs in one region. Does this make sense? My only addition to electrolysis humor is that after three days of not shaving she said my hairs were still not long enough to make the work go quickly. So next time I have to come as the bearded lady!
    Last edited by Dorit; 05-05-2019 at 04:21 AM.

Dorit,

Be sure to hydrate well before your appointments. It will minimize damage to the skin. As we age our skin becomes more delicate and HRT makes it even more so.

She said she had an experienced eye for the hairs that were in the right growth stage to kill so she worked all over my face rather than clearing all the hairs in one region. Does this make sense?
    The hairs do go through a growth cycle, so it's certainly possible that their appearance changes according to the stage they're in. If she can shorten to overall time it takes to get the entire job done by using that approach, so much the better. If it's all just "marketing", you're no worse off and the job takes as lone as it takes.

I finally after a long delay because of illness just returned from my first electrolysis session. I did take a pain pill before I arrived and it went well. She only wanted to do a half hour session for the first time to see how I react. She said she had an experienced eye for the hairs that were in the right growth stage to kill so she worked all over my face rather than clearing all the hairs in one region. Does this make sense? My only addition to electrolysis humor is that after three days of not shaving she said my hairs were still not long enough to make the work go quickly. So next time I have to come as the bearded lady!
    They also jumped around the place a lot on my first session. I'm guessing it's to get you used to the process and to judge how sensitive you are in various spots because it varies between people. I'm just home from 1hr electro today and most of the time on my upper lip. I appear to be remarkably tolerant there, which is good news for me. I'm saying it's because I've been playing the tuba since I was 15. And that actually might have something to do with it, joking aside.

Now if you'l excuse me... they started at the edges and worked in so I have a hairy strip under my nose now that looks far too much like a certain dictator so I'm going to go shave

Eemz (and anyone else!) how long flr the scabbing and swelling to go down? Also, how long do the facial hairs need to be when going in?