Thread: Not quite a Valentines Gift

Not quite a Valentines Gift

I am widowed, not seeing anyone romantically, and did not expect anything special from anyone else for Valentines Day this year. I had gotten my hair done the day before, and spent the day indulging myself. In the morning, I dressed for mall shopping, baked some fresh scones to go with breakfast, and ran a few errands, then shopped some sales at the mall. Found a sweet knee length skirt in red denim, a nice short sleeved red top, and even a retro hat that was red, all at bargain prices. Then I grabbed lunch for myself, and went to some other stores to shop some more. Ended up with a couple of bags of stuff, all at about half price.

Near the end of my shopping spree, a male friend texted me and asked if he could join my daughter and I at our home for an evening of gaming, and perhaps dinner. He is a disabled veteran who we both know as a friend, strictly platonically, and he is also single. Sometimes he asks to visit, so he will not be alone. Nothing romantic between us, now or ever - just nicer not to be alone, particularly on a night that celebrates couples and romance. So after confirming my daughter was up for the idea, (she is also single and not dating), I ordered and picked up a pizza for all of us, on the way home. Had to wait an extra 20 min or so at the pizza take-out place, because they, of course, were running a Valentines Day special and were swamped.

When I got home, before I even had time to unpack my shopping, the lady who rents a room from me slipped a small box of chocolates into my bag, and whispered, “This is for you. I’ll explain later. Just something I am doing.” Now she is also strictly a platonic friend, single, and not dating. I thanked her and grinned anyway at the thought that someone gave me chocolates for Valentines Day. It was not a heart shaped box. Still a nice thought.

Much later that night, after my gamer friend had gone home, I read a FB post by the lady who gave me the chocolates. She said that the night before, she had decided to turn the usual expectations for the holiday on their heads and get some chocolates for “three deserving ladies” - me, my daughter, and herself. Something small that she could do, to counter all the negativity lately in the world. (She considers me to be “her benefactor”, because I rent a room to her at a discounted rate that she can afford, and allow her to pay part of her rent by helping around the house.) Then she added, “... Beyond that, in my defense...’She started it’ ..lol Woke up to a warm smile and warm freshly baked scones and raspberry jam... So the tone was set...”. I chuckled at that, because, well, yes, that happened, but me baking goodies on a random morning is kind of routine. A week earlier it had been blueberry muffins. And I always offer them to my daughter and to that lady who rents her room from me. I thanked her in her FB post, and again the next morning in person.

Ceera,

I think the gift is coming from you to your friends.

May the friendship between you all endure.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Ceera, what a lovely story. Warm scones and raspberry jam, I'll be around in the morning. Just kidding. Thanks for sharing.

Ceera, Aww what a beautiful story of friendship. It shows what a good person you are and the very nice woman who loves that you and your daughter are in her life.
    Crissy