Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Underdressing at an interview

Underdressing at an interview

Went for an interview today and was underdressed. Black bra, red panties and womens socks.
    Had to go through a metal detector and when it triggered because of my belt was patted down and wanded. The guard was talking to me the whole time, about the weather, it being Monday ... slowed down when the bra (no underwire) was felt, said huh ... OooKayyy ... then started talking again and finished. Told me good luck. Saw them on the way out and got a smile and nod.

Will find out about the job later this week, be interesting to see the guard again if I do.

Albuquerque, NM (SE of there in mountain foothills)
    A secure workplace is a plus... but if you have to worry about just what you are "packing" to get in?

Hmm

For me finding a job would be more important than underdressing, especially in a security situation.

Then again do you really want the job?

Sorry Heather.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Seems like you were not serious about the job sort of.
    Why do all that and possibly blow your chance for employment?

The security guard's word should not affect your chances one way or the other.

Of course, if this employer if serious about not discriminating against gender, race or sexual orientation, here's their chance to prove it, assuming you're the best candidate, of course. Good luck.
    When haters hate, I celebrate!

I think wearing the red panties and women’s socks are absolutely ok as it is very possible it gave Heather some level of comfort and confidence. The bra I’m not so sure about.
    I hope you get the job!
    Last edited by Crissy 107; 02-25-2019 at 10:15 PM.
    Crissy

Ok, you've got my curiosity going here. First, congratulations on not getting outed on your way to your interview. Pretty risky behavior.

Second, I work in DC and have been in and out of the White House complex, State Dept., Federal Courthouses, other Federal agencies, and have never heard of going from a metal detector to a pat down/hands on search without the intermediate step of being wanded with a handheld metal detector first. Gotta ask what type of facility in Florida does hands on searches of job interviewees? With that much security, are you sure you want to risk your secret day in and day out? The next guard my be a hard-ass who throws youmto the wolves.

Good luck.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Be all the woman that you can be!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    . . . and now, On With The Show!

Well, I have been unemployed for 2,5 years and I have been in an interview three weeks ago. I knew in advance that the security there is hard so I would never risk this chance!!

The job is a lot more important for me!

By the way, I got it!! I am so, so happy!!!

More shoes soon!!

Kisses

Patricia

Heather, I would not have risked it, any negative, even from a security guard is enough to knock you out of the running.

Patricia, congratulations on the job.
    Please call me Jamie, I always_have crossdressed, I always will, "alwayshave".

Patricia, Congrats on getting the job, now we need Heather to do the same.
    Crissy

I am all for feeling and being what you see yourself as but I think I would baulk at red stockings for a job interview, sure gender equality and understanding in the work place should be a normal thing but there will always be some who cannot quite grasp what we are on about and I think ones appearance must be tempered with the situation at that time, thats just my opinion verybody is different.
    By the way you must tell us if you get the job, good luck
    I started life a lost man now I am a found woman

Reality Check
    I'm with Tracii on this. If you were serious about getting this job, you wouldn't do anything to jeopardize your chances of getting it. And that includes underdressing and wearing a bra.
    Krisi

I wore panties to my last job interview as I don't gave any men's underwear. I wasn't worried because the was no chance that I would be discovered. A bra? Certainly not. Regardless of security procedures there's just too much risk involved and as others have pointed out the potential job was far too important to me (fwiw I got an offer).
    Last edited by Elizabeth G; 02-26-2019 at 09:36 AM.

I’ve been job hunting for several weeks, and have been very careful about my presentation when I go. I don’t own a lot of male clothes, I ditched those over a year ago, but I still do my best to present as male as possible. Everything I wear with the exception of my button down shirt, are from the women’s side of the store. And I still wear makeup, but just my brows, and concealer and foundation. No mascara or eyeliner, no lipstick. For me, keeping those aspects of my femininity are the only thing keeping me calm so I can do well.

Banned Spammer
    I did do a job interview in transwoman mode at a Cabela's sporting goods store.
    They were great about it and accepting but I didn't get the job.
    Could have been they didn't want a transwoman working there or they found a better match for the job.

You’re braver than I Tracii!! What stinks is you’ll never know the reason they went with another candidate. That’s been causing me a ton of stress the past few weeks, trying to figure out what to do differently on my interviews.

Reality Check
    When hiring people for a job, there's always the fear that the (not normal) person will cause problems, either with the other employees or with clients or customers. There's also the fear of lawsuits. If the person doing the hiring finds an equally qualified candidate, that person is most likely to get the job.

In theory, there may be laws against this, but choosing an employee is pretty subjective and it would be very difficult to prove you didn't get a particular job because you were a crossdresser or transsexual.
    Krisi

Been a long time since I went for an interview. My wife's various conditions have seen to that. However I would hope than any employer would look past my attire even if I went fully em femme, especially given the equality laws here in the UK. Although the rub there is the same as Tracii's predicament - you can't always know you've been a victim of prejudice and if you were sure you'd still have the burden of proof. Sigh.
    Good luck, Heather

Banned Read only
    There may be anti-discrimination laws in a particular state, county or city protecting gays and lesbians and transgender men and women. However, if a prospective employer does not hire such a person due to prejudice how will you know? You'd have to establish some sort of pattern in order to prevail in court. In the mean time you'll be pounding the streets looking for a job. Once hired you may be able to determine whether the work place is hostile towards a particular group.

I do concur with others wearing a bra to a job interview is risky behavior.

Silver Member
    Unless you are living 24/7/365 as a woman and MUST do so for an interview, wearing anything femme, IMHO, is a no, no. Getting the job is far more important. Once hired you can determine the company's position on Trans people.

Banned Spammer
    We have a fairness ordinance in my city so gays and trans do get treated equally along with regular folks so its not an issue.
    I still shop there enfemme sometimes and always get treated with dignity.The girls in the ladies clothes section where I shop are always very nice and treat me like any other female.
    I think the guy at the camping and prepping section may be dating a transgirl because he is always talking about his gurl friend/partner. When he talks to girls that work there its Gurl friend when its guys he is talking to its his partner.
    I was looking at long term food storage he came up to help me and after a while I said you know I would love to meet your GF sometime does she shop here too?
    He said yeah that would be cool I'll bet you and her would get along just fine.
    I was OK with not getting the job because I really don't have to work to get by.
    If the person they hired needed the job to feed his family then thats fine too.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    Heather u really may not deserve all the flack. But, it's your fault for not providing enuff info!

Do u underdress every day? So, u wanted to appear as u will if hired?

Or, did u underdress this particular day just to push your/their boundaries? In which case u really didn't care if they hired u!?
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Heather, please let us know if you get the job or not. If you didn't know about the extra security, I can see how wearing a bra would be comforting in an interview. Underdressing can relax me, but only if I'm aware of it. I can forget otherwise, but I almost always feel bra straps or cami straps, and that would do it for me.

I think it will be fine! I has a series of phone interviews for a work from home job and in the first I didn't dress in the second I fully dressed. The first went horribly the second I aced and ended up getting and offer. I know it's not the same situation but if underdressing makes you feel confident go for it!! I know when I go to work underdressed I am way more confident! :-)

Silver Member
    No one is going to call the security guard and the guard is not going to go running up to management and telling them.

If it was a government contractor you probably could have worn a blouse and been hired. I did a project where I hired quite a few people some of which were openly gay or what ever. All I was looking for was the best that we could find.