Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Workplace hostility...

Banned Read only
    Eemz,
    I still say the percentages are higher than quoted here judging by the conversation I've had with the general public. Even money there will be those who can't wait to get home to get dressed especially after seeing you , it's the trigger effect .

One question do you find you are looking for tell tale signs with other people , maybe the suggestion of a bra strap ? If so would you be inclined to say something ?

I even see the pantie and strap edges and shade of color differences even here in many photos (even my own).
    Last edited by Leslie Mary S; 02-23-2019 at 06:13 PM.
    Leslie Mary Shy
    Remember this:
    You do not have to be a man to love a woman, or be a woman to love women's clothes on her or yourself.

Patience you are very lucky to be working for a very supporting company there should be lots more like yours sadly not so and still many who speak out against us, I do not have this problem being retired and my own boss as to how I spend my day.
    I started life a lost man now I am a found woman

I agree Teresa - on the face of it there's me and one openly gay woman out of 700 people, and those numbers don't work.
    They're in there somewhere LOL

I'm not actively looking, but I have decided that if I do think someone might be then I'm going to try and figure out what they want from me and do that. I'm kind of assuming I'll notice before a lot of others and the last thing I want is to put them off by pouncing the first day while they're still having breakfast - hey, you're wearing a bra! and they end up "OMG it's so obvious, I can't do this!"

Minor update:

As I mentioned in my last thread, I'm just getting back into full-femme dressing after being on hiatus for the better part of a month. Today, I finally put on my breast forms again. I had originally planned to do the whole gender bender thing, which for me entails not only the forms, but also painted nails (painted yesterday), lipstick and a pair on clip-on earrings. Unfortunately, I was late getting out of the house, l settled for painted nails and my 42 C breasts underneath my company sweater, which was covering a pink Wonder Woman shirt with the logo in stripes with the colors of the rainbow flag. It was a shame I couldn't wear it openly today.

When I arrived, I was told that my new boss and his boss were both in the building. This was totally unexpected, as I had never met either (I was recently promoted after a successful phone interview) Anyway, between my company logo sweatshirt and my safety vest, I managed to conceal my boobs pretty successfully. I greeted both managets and shook their hands (concealed inside my work gloves) and that was cool.

With any luck, I'll be able to do the full fem presentation before the end of the week, when I'll be training for my new job.
    When haters hate, I celebrate!

I work for government and while I wear outer drab the policies are meant to be very LGBTIQ+ inclusive. A colleague who I don’t know the real background but is gender questionable ( I only say questionable as I have no idea, nor care as a great person) always used the disabled toilet rather than the gendered. Management sent a huge rant about the use of the disabled toilet being for those with a disability only. Haven’t seen them since, but I know still on the payroll.

Aspiring Member
    Maybe let your supervisor know you know and express your appreciation for the fact the company supported you intend to continue doing your best for the company. Sherrii

At a place where I worked a few years ago, I would occasionally wear nail polish, but nothing beyond that.

One day, one of my colleagues came to me and told me that the week before, when I had been away, one of the higher-ups had come down to the department and asked him to pass the word along to me that I shouldn't do that anymore. Not that HE had a problem with it personally, of course, but he was afraid that OTHER people might find it unprofessional. (Which is of course code for, yes, he had a problem with it personally, he just didn't want to own it.)

Good for you that you don't work for such a bunch of dummies.

Gold Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eemz View Post
    And everyone has been great, I actually can't believe how easy it's been.
    I think it depends on a few factors how easy or hard someone has it. The place I work is pretty diverse and very seldom have I had anyone react weird. They just treat me like anyone else.
    Though live this full time but of course people know my gender status. I don't talk about it or act like some drag queen though, which probably helps. I have a friend who works at another company who catches a lot of hell but her work station is LOUDLY decorated with TG flags and stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by stephenie3756 View Post
    For me, I would love to wear my 5" heels to work, but working in maintenance would make that difficult.
    No thanks. Those kind of heels are good for "play time" but having to walk or stand for any amount of time, give me my ragged ol Saucony sneakers.
    It takes a true Erin to be a pain in the assatar.

So after being promoted last month, I'm in my third week on the job and I haven’t dressed once. Closest I've come to dressing at work was wearing my Wonder Woman shirt on Friday. (And panties from day one, of course)

My work environment is comprised of various autonomous departments sharing a common space, so we don’t really report to each other. Most important of all, I don’t report to them and -best of all- my immediate boss is in a very different zip code from my own.

I know at least a couple of these new people have seen me dolled up, but we were never in such close contact before. For the time being, I’m keeping my nose to the grindstone, learning my new job and building working relationships. When the time comes, I’ll assert my personality gradually, starting with painting my nails. My nails have been naked for almost a month now. Can’t wait for some color!

I do plan to come dressed to work eventually. Pride weekend (also the anniversary of my first outing) and halloween (when I actually came to work dressed last year) are earmarked. Anyway, I think it’ll be fun, but first I gotta get a grip on the job.

When you finally do come out to them,I suggest you have a plan of what you will say...If your gender identity is truly driving you then looking them in the eye and letting them know you are transgender is,from my experience the best thing to do. Shows your confidence. Halloweeen may be fine if you identify as a CD but don't expect to be taken seriously.
    It SURE is my hair ! I have the receipt and the box it came in !

So I'm settling in on the new job, built a good rapport with my immediate coworkers. Four or so weeks into the job (two weeks ago or so) I figured it was time to paint my nails again, so I did. I wasn’t nervous, well, not much, anyway, as these were all people who had seen me before.

I showed up, turned on my computer as usual and went about my work. Gradually folks started noticing my red (what else?) nails. There were some funny looks, but nothing major. Reaction was mixed, but I think I overheard the argument that won the day in my favor when I heard someone say “...well, I don’t know because I’m a girl, but if he’s felling it...” can’t argue with that.

Since coming out, my work relationship with the other people in the firm hasn’t changed, although I’m not sure I’d want my boss to see me this way. Luckily, he works offsite.

Last week, I started wearing a bra to work. No underwire, just the plain empty bra. Earrings next.

On a side note, a girl coworker who was recently promoted is now sporting a boy's haircut. I know I shouldn’t take credit, but I like to think I helped.

Quote Originally Posted by Patience View Post
    So I'm settling in on the new job, built a good rapport with my immediate coworkers. although I’m not sure I’d want my boss to see me this way. Luckily, he works offsite.

Last week, I started wearing a bra to work. No underwire, just the plain empty bra. Earrings next.
    So,can you explain to your boss ? He may ask "the endgame is ?"
    It SURE is my hair ! I have the receipt and the box it came in !

Quote Originally Posted by Patience View Post
    >>SNIP<<

On a side note, a girl coworker who was recently promoted is now sporting a boy's haircut. I know I shouldn’t take credit, but I like to think I helped.
    Firstly, women's hairstyles are vastly more varied than men's cuts. The shorter style might be a try at a new look, or simply more comfortable. I seriously doubt that you had anything to do with her decision. It's not like she said "Ooooh, that guy is crossing gender boundaries, I guess I can get a 'butch' cut now!" Until or unless one of your male co-workers shows up sporting a beehive, I think it is safe to say that you aren't breaking down any gender barriers.

Secondly, if you are choosing to wear various articles of feminine clothing & accessories to work, it is naïve of you to think that your boss is totally unaware. People talk, ya know? He (or she) may have gotten the word from another employee.

Thirdly, and this is just a pet peeve of mine, unless you are working with high-schoolers, your female colleague is a woman, not a girl.
    Before you can love another, you must first like yourself

I Aim To Misbehave

Labels belong on BOXES, not PEOPLE!

Jodie_Lynn, Stop being so negative, Patience is there and feels she may have influenced the girl on the haircut, NBD. As for the clothes, maybe the off site boss knows or maybe not, once again, who cares.
    Ok I somewhat get your pet peeve but once again Patience is there and describes her coworkers whichever way she cares to.
    Crissy

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicole Erin View Post
    I think it depends on a few factors how easy or hard someone has it. The place I work is pretty diverse and very seldom have I had anyone react weird. They just treat me like anyone else.
    Though live this full time but of course people know my gender status. I don't talk about it or act like some drag queen though, which probably helps. I have a friend who works at another company who catches a lot of hell but her work station is LOUDLY decorated with TG flags and stuff.

This exactly ^^^^^^^^^^^
    People really don't care and can get along fine with you if you act like a normal person.
    The loud activist personality makes you look like an attention "ho" forcing your will against them and demanding special treatment.
    That is the last thing you should do in a work environment.
    The company would be more apt to let you go because you are causing a disruption of work productivity.
    Last edited by Shelly Preston; 06-27-2019 at 01:22 AM. Reason: fixed quote

That's so great Patience, thanks for the update. I think this is a really good way to approach it.

> People really don't care and can get along fine with you if you act like a normal person

That was totally my experience. Like Tracii said, ramming things down people's throats doesn't work; it just creates conflict. You want to be sending the message - yep this is different, yep I know it's atypical, it's all good though, all good, nothing to see here, move along, have a nice day. They get over it very fast and it becomes the new normal. Nobody even notices if I turn up with something new now.

> I showed up, turned on my computer as usual and went about my work.

That's what it's all about, well done you.

You do have to give people a few seconds to reboot their brains when they encounter something new for the first time; that's only fair it's a new experience for most of them. I saw lots of confused looks from people who were trying to keep the work conversation going while thinking to themselves, don't stare at the earrings, don't stare at the earrings. Your remote boss probably will hear eventually, but what does he care? About what someone he can't see is wearing? As long as the reports of your work are good, and he's not hearing reports that you drive everyone in the office crazy.

[SIZE=1]- - - Updated - - -[/SIZE]

And I agree with Rogina - someone will eventually ask where this is going. Best to expect it and know what you're going to say. I suggest the truth In my case the truth is that I don't know where this is going or how far, but nor am I placing any limits on it. I'm just going to go with it for better or worse until I find what makes me happy. So I said that.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogina B View Post
    So,can you explain to your boss ? He may ask "the endgame is ?"
    ...and I'll say the end game is everyone dies in the end. I only have one life to live and what good is it if I'm not allowed to be myself? Also, I've only been exploring these feelings two years, come august. How can I know what I'll feel in two years if I can't even be sure I'll be alive in two years?

Anyway, I think I'm slowly reaching my dressing plateau for this job. Painted nails, panties more often than not; never ommando-kay. I still haven't added accessories. I'm adding pieces very gradually. Earrings next. I won't be dolling myself up at work for pride this time, but still expect to be fully dressed for Halloween.

Quote Originally Posted by Jodie_Lynn View Post
    Firstly, women's hairstyles are vastly more varied than men's cuts. The shorter style might be a try at a new look, or simply more comfortable. I seriously doubt that you had anything to do with her decision. It's not like she said "Ooooh, that guy is crossing gender boundaries, I guess I can get a 'butch' cut now!" Until or unless one of your male co-workers shows up sporting a beehive, I think it is safe to say that you aren't breaking down any gender barriers.
    Crissy is right. You should stop being so negative.

Thank you for numbering your comments. Most folks aren't so considerate. I distinctly said I knew I shouldn't take credit. Is it so wrong for a person to engage in a bit of fantasy here - a website for men that like to think of themselves as women? I ask you rhetorically.

And you must admit that, from your vantage point, you can't claim anything conclusively either.

Secondly, if you are choosing to wear various articles of feminine clothing & accessories to work, it is naïve of you to think that your boss is totally unaware. People talk, ya know? He (or she) may have gotten the word from another employee.
    This is a bit out of date. My fault. You're right, my boss could have been told by someone else, but realistically only two people would have gone through the trouble of mentioning it to my boss, and one of them might even have done; but you must agree that there's a big difference between your boss hearing that you do something and him seeing you do something.

Anyhow, I've accessed this site through my computer at work, so I have no doubt I'm more out than I think. It doesn't matter, though. I'm glad to tell you I've got a grip on the job now and it's been acknowledged by the people in charge of having to care about these things. Yay me.

Thirdly, and this is just a pet peeve of mine, unless you are working with high-schoolers, your female colleague is a woman, not a girl.
    Firstly, it is not out of line for a man to refer to a woman 20 years his junior a girl. Maybe 40 in your case.

Secondly, you haven't seen (or heard) the person I'm talking about. If you did, you might have felt differently.

Thirdly, since you posted your response, there have been numerous threads (and even more posts) referring to various types of females (including us) as girls, and while I wasn't actively looking, I never saw you raise this objection ever again, which leads me to believe we can safely downgrade your peeve from "pet" to "petty".

Thank you for your interest.
    Last edited by Patience; 06-28-2019 at 07:16 AM. Reason: the power of the mind to think, understand, and form judgments by a process of logic.

Good for you, Patience!
    I have to say if I was still working full-time I'd likely come out. Just for fun as much as anything else. I worked in a large-ish utility company in the office and I doubt I'd have been given a hard time. By the time I left I'd long since ditched the shirt and tie.
    Maybe it's petty of me, but then I always considered the company and those around me pretty small-minded so.. Meh.
    On a slightly more serious note though I would have thought that more forward thinking business leaders would recognise that allowing self-expression would make for a happier, more productive workforce.

I have seen work-place hostilities for many reasons but never for how we dressed or acted. I was first in the military and later working on a military base. In those days gone by you dressed as the gender on yoi ID/badge.
    Now I am starting to get flack from one of my neighbors. He doesn't want to see me in female attire nor his family to see me. It makes it hard to go in and out since there are no fences allowed between the mobile homes.
    So in effect I am experiencing the same as work place hostility. This is why I stay inside most of the time.
    Leslie Mary Shy
    Remember this:
    You do not have to be a man to love a woman, or be a woman to love women's clothes on her or yourself.

Leslie, it seems like your neighbor needs to stay in his own lane, or tend his own garden, if you prefer. He and his family will encounter all manner of gender non-conformance out in the big world. If he has a problem with the way you are comfortable presenting yourself, it's his problem and he needs to get over it. He has no right or authority to dictate what you wear, or when or where.

All my neighbors have seen me outside my house in skirts, dresses and other feminine effects. None of them have voiced any objections, but if any ever did, I would thank them for their unsolicited opinion and politely tell them to pound sand.
    It's spelled Marika, but it's pronounced Janey!
    Appreciate the beauty in the current moment, because the past is gone and tomorrow never comes.
    Janey's Amost Secret Crossdressing Blog: http://marikajaye.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Leslie Mary S View Post
    He doesn't want to see me in female attire nor his family to see me. It makes it hard to go in and out since there are no fences allowed between the mobile homes.
    So in effect I am experiencing the same as work place hostility. This is why I stay inside most of the time.
    I wonder if you would have any legal options with this issue? If you feel threatened enough to not leave your home wouldnt this be a form of harassment? There is nothing illegal with your choice of clothing, so there is nothing for the neighbor to give you grief over.

I have friends who will tell me if he is up to things. The park manager knows about my dressing now for over 4 years.
    Leslie Mary Shy
    Remember this:

Wow, I forgot to mention how Pride went.

While I had half a notion of going to work en femme for pride at work, I felt the timing wasn’t right, so I’ve saved that pleasure for Halloween, when it’ll definitely be a go.

Still, I felt I should do something to observe Pride at work, so I went as femme as I would allow myself: a pair of unmistakably feminine floral pants, panties,painted nails, clip-on earrings, and lipstick of a shade so close to the color of my actual lips that other than for the glossiness, it’s hard to tell if I have any on.

I went about my day as normal. Some people noticed and glanced quizzically, no one said anything but I noticed some people talking in more hushed tones than normal. One month later, I can say everyone’s forgotten about it already.

The most fun part of being dressed at work was seeing the lipstick stains on my coffee mug.

Silver Member
    An outside contractor should know better than that. Everyone in your company is his customer and comments like that get around fast when your people support you. He couldn't have done worse if he had called you fat, ugly and stupid.