Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Acceptance at restaurants

Acceptance at restaurants

After several successful nights out with other gals at a local restaurant, my SO and I decided on a whim for us to visit a different place while dressed, just the two of us.

Going over the requirements like someplace unlikely to see someone we know, the staff possibly being more accepting, I tossed out the suggestion for an Applebee's in the next town.

The hostess and wait staff couldn't have been more accommodating. They used the proper pronouns, didn't flinch at my less than feminine voice, and generally made me feel accepted. We went back again two weeks later and aside from a couple across the aisle spending way too much time staring, it went equally well.

Just curious if any of you have found a chain that is consistently CD-friendly.

Reychelle

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Most everywhere I have been have been very friendly.
    From eateries to historical sites,theaters,car dealers etc. No problems most anywhere.
    The only one worried about it is you.LOL
    The only place I had a problem was a womens march. I wast treated like crap and told to leave.

Wish I could help you but I presently do Not go out except with a group. At home I tend to be a loner. Just haven't found any locals to go out with.
    Leslie Mary Shy
    Remember this:
    You do not have to be a man to love a woman, or be a woman to love women's clothes on her or yourself.

Silver Member Majella St Gerard's Avatar
    I go to restaurants often and have only one occurrence of feeling I was being given short service, it was a busy time but I felt invisible to the staff and it's one of my favorite restaurants.

One of my roommates and my favorite places to eat.

My roommate is disabled and doesn’t get out a lot. I got home from work one day and she what’s to go out to eat. So I changed out of my dirty work clothes. Put on a Top, skinny jeans, angle boots, and hoodie. Brushed my hair, grabbed my purse and out the door we went.

I didn’t feel like putting on make-up.

Well they treated us with the same great service. This was at Applebee’s.

I've eaten out a lot, and I have never had any issues. Also I don’t have a beard, still this tired old face needs all the help it can get, I don't normally go out without make-up. LOL

Chili's is my go to eating spot while dressed. I go with my Fiance and I always get a kick out of when they say "what would you ladies like?"

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    U don't say where u live, Reychelle. I go out often in SoCal and Vegas. The SA's and wait staff never bat an eye at me.
    I wish I could say the same for a number of bug eyed customers!

I have found if a dresser goes nearly anywhere with a GG companion? It's like a free pass!
    I guess people don't think women would go out with a pervert/weirdo!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

I've not yet been treated anything other than very well, but it's probably based more on my relaxed attitude and big smile.
    In my opinion, if anyone goes in with a bad attitude, the staff will reflect it back to them
    See all my photos, read many stories of my outings and my early days at
    http://rachelsauckland.blogspot.co.nz

Rachel has it right. Comport yourself in a confident, pleasant, ladylike manner and that's how you will be treated. There will occasionally be those who stare and whisper, but they are usually constrained by "the social contract", and will rarely do more than that... unless you give them reason to. I've said it before, a smile will disarm those people like little else.
    Calling bigotry an "opinion" is like calling arsenic a "flavor".

Reychelle,

I've eaten in all sorts of places ranging from McD's to 4* hotel restaurants. I've always been treated well, just another customer.

I'll also agred with Rachel, be confident, polite, smile and be engaging and that's what tends to be reflected back.

TrueNorth Strong & Fierce Princess Chantal's Avatar
    I don’t go to national and global chain restaurants even when not crossdressed, however I have been to a few locally run chain restaurants that are just specific to the Winnipeg area (Stella’s Cafe and Salisbury House). The staff at those and all the small restaurants that I have been to had treated me fantastic whether I am done up in a regular outfit or a Victorian dress (worn for a special outing prior or after dinner).
    Last edited by Princess Chantal; 02-23-2019 at 05:19 AM.

Aspiring Member
    I have eaten out lots of times on my own and with GG friends. If you are nice to people they are nice back. If anything I have been treated better when dressed as Susan than as me - women staff seem to want to look after me and make sure I am OK! I try to avoid chains when spending my money - in my experience family hotels and restaurants and owner-run independent boutiques try harder and I want them to prosper. My main fear for these entrepreneurs is the internet. We are going to lose bricks and mortar shops unless we use them more.

When I travel,I always stay at Marriotts Hotels, they are always courteous and friendly at the restaurant and bar,treated like a Lady

Yeah where you live makes a big difference. You’ll get a very different reaction in California or New York City than Backwater Arkansas. But in general most service oriented industries will be at least accommodating, it benefits their bottom line to do so.

A dear friend once reminded me that I shouldn't be delighted to receive exceptional service, I should expect it and not be surprised. This has served me well.
    Like a corpse deep in the earth I'm so alone, restless thoughts torment my soul, as fears they lay confirmed, but my life has always been this way - Virginia Astley, "Some Small Hope" (1986)
    Sunlight falls, my wings open wide. There's a beauty here I cannot deny - David Sylvian, "Orpheus" (1987)

I found Marie Callenders (a California, Nevada and Utah based chain) to be very CD friendly.

As has already been said, these places have to treat all their customers well and two ladies out together is, as Docrobsherry said, like a free pass.
    Rachel,

As a crossdresser my personality has several facets. Therefore, I suppose I can be forgiven for being facetious.

I like the vibe at the Cheesecake Factory, but I have been treated well the ten times or so I've been to restaurants.

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by Majella St Gerard View Post
    I go to restaurants often and have only one occurrence of feeling I was being given short service, it was a busy time but I felt invisible to the staff and it's one of my favorite restaurants.
    Perhaps the short on service was because you were identified as a woman. My wife and a close female friend go out to eat on occasion. My wife has noticed the wait staff seems to be more attentive to males. It irks my wife so much she has researched her perceptions. It seems wait staff views women, in general, as lousy tippers.

I stayed at the Holiday Inn Express in Gatlinburg, TN a few weekends ago. They did not bat an eye and carried on as usual. Other times when I go to other locations it is not unusual for someone, especially women, to complement me on some item I'm wearing. The more I go out it seems the more accepted I feel. I just wish I had the courage to come out at work and then get the same responses.

Natalie_

Silver Member Majella St Gerard's Avatar
    One time at Texas Roadhouse I was seated at a table in the boondocks, I assumed so I wouldn't offend anyone. I had a gift card to use so I just went with it. Good steak though.

I have never had a bad experience anywhere, including highly conservative Oklahoma

I have never had an issue with a restaurant, they are always friendly.
    Please call me Jamie, I always_have crossdressed, I always will, "alwayshave".

Not a chain but a few restraunts, and they have always been accommodating.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Reality Check
    I don't think there's a difference in one chain over another, they are mostly franchises. It think what you will find in most restaurants is an attitude of "please the customer so he/she will come back again". As far as servers, they are hoping for a big tip so they are going to be polite and friendly.

Other customers may react differently and there's always the chance of being trapped for a half hour or more next to a table of folks who are staring and making snide remarks.
    Krisi

I go out a pretty fair amount, usually with my wife, but occasionally alone, and always get treated well. I rarely see any difference if I’m out with my wife or alone. Just be courteous, be kind, and don’t act like you don’t belong there. I’ve definitely gotten plenty of compliments on my hair, or makeup, or my dress or my shoes, always by the female staff or other customers, but never anything bad. Once, I overheard a biker waiting for a table with his wife comment on my appearance, and his wife immediately corrected him, and he looked like he actually felt bad! The world is changing, slowly, but it is.