Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Was Crossdressing more Fun in the 1960s & 70s

Quote Originally Posted by Robbiegirl View Post
    ... Not as much Tv back then, so lots more crazyness ! ....
    From all the replies there was a lot of Tv back then, the term crossdressing (CD) did not really appear until the 60's.
    Rachel,

As a crossdresser my personality has several facets. Therefore, I suppose I can be forgiven for being facetious.

The clothes were attractive, but my memories of being "transvestite" in the sixties are mostly about irresistible compulsion, followed by shame and self loathing.
    I am a vessel of the goddess. Let me express my calling to a feminine life through nurturing love and relatedness.

Quote Originally Posted by babydoll2 View Post
    In my opinion, the 70s and 80s were the golden age for lingerie, with maidenform sweet nothings, girly bikini panties (but not thongs). Ultra feminine, sexy but in a more subtle way.
    Well I do agree the Maidenform - Sweet Nothings bikini panties and Bras - were the BEST - Kind of like these

lingerie.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Linda Leigh View Post
    In the early 60's I wore my sister's clothes and so worried about getting caught.
    Ditto except for me it really started in the late '60s. The fear of getting caught by family members was intense. The sexual response was also intense. It was probably more exciting as a teen but it's more fun now days.

As far as the styles from that period, yes I still love them. I've been watching Alfred Hitchcock episodes on youtube and there's usually an attractive woman wearing the style of clothes some of us covet!
    "You're the only one to see the changes you take yourself through", Stevie Wonder

There's that smile! CarlaWestin's Avatar
    Up until the 80's, I could have been arrested or, at least detained for some of the outfits that I wear frequently out and about and barely getting acknowledged today.
    I've waited so long for this time. Makeup is so frustrating. Shaking hands and I look so old. This was a mistake.
    My new maid's outfit is cute. Sure fits tight.
    And then I step into the bedroom and in the mirror, I see a beautiful woman looking back at me.
    Smile, Honey! You look fabulous!

It's hard for any of us to give a meaningful answer to this question because we were, by definition, all much younger, ignorant and inexperienced then than we are today. Many of us formed our preferences about fashion in those days and I do still think there was no better or more elegant period for women's styles than the late 1950s and early 1960s (think Audrey Hepburn or Jackie Kennedy). Lingerie and shapewear were also at their peak then. But it was also a time of huge prejudices and discrimination against those who did what we do. Overarching it all is that I was a pre-teen in the '60s and just beginning to explore and partially understand what I was interested in and what motivated me to love women's clothes. From that perspective it was natural to be confused and unable to read the cultural signs around me about what was accepted or appropriate behavior. So my reaction was to be as stealthy and closeted as possible. This created a lot of stress around dressing up and made it definitely less "fun" than today, when I can now more or less go anywhere or do anything I want. But I have 50 years more experience at it now, so it's entirely possible that the difference may be within myself as much as in the larger society.

- Diane

While I have dressed since the 60s, as young as 4 or 5, I can say I loved the clothes and the feel of real satin. However, I was always so fearful of getting caught. I am much more at ease with it today.
    Please call me Jamie, I always_have crossdressed, I always will, "alwayshave".

As some of the others have said, the fashions were so much more fun, but the society surrounding us was definitely not!
    Sherrie Lynn Pall

Sometimes I make sense and that frightens me.

Please don't let me be the last post on this thread

I find that back then there was more left to the imagination. Just imagine being turned no by seeing the lace of a slip peeking out from the bottom of a skirt, I didn't even see any flesh yet and I was turned on. I remember going home from school and Masterbating the first time I seen a bra strap. Instead now there is very little imagination left, women wear almost nothing now, there's no imagination for the eye to see. Thanks for taking me back down memory lane.

For me it was fun as I had a supporting entourage of four girsl who encouraged me.

For others it was probably frought with fear and danger as the laws were very different then, let alone the lack of acceptance by the people you may meet.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

One's teen years are full of questioning and impression forming. Mine were in the 1950s and early 60s. I hadn't heard of crossdressing and "transvestite" was a term used only as abuse. Nevertheless, I remember as an only child being intrigued by the very different clothes worn by girls my age - and older. I constantly wondered about how girls would be feeling as they walked to school in their skirts and dresses and I was very aware of the significance of the lingerie and underwear they wore, even though it could only be seen in catalogues, shop windows and on washing lines. The curiosity was such that I had to try it but resources for doing so were very limited. Only when I was old enough to have real girlfriends and to get close to them did I begin to find out exaclty what they wore and learn about their own experiences of those clothes. Female clothes then were so much more complicated and varied than male clothes and therefore fascinating - I wanted to try them just to find out what it felt like to be dressed like them. The endless variety not only of skirts, dresses and shoes (trousers almost unknown for women then) was easily observed every day (I watched girls trying to manage big skirts held out with stiffened slips, trying to run in heels or climb the stairs on the bus in a tight skirt and wanted to try those things for myself) but less visible were the numerous types of stockings, bras, suspender belts and girdles which they were all wearing under those clothes. I spent much time wondering what it must be like to wear those things all day and every day....something I couldn't experience but could just glimpse in my own hurried, closeted dressing sessions.
    I'm afraid the enthusiasm waned with later fashion styles and is now absent altogether when almost all women and girls dress only in casual things, trousers, trainers, leggings, etc. Of course, I understand that those younger than I are just as intrigued by the female clothes that surrounded them in their own adolescent years and that those males wanting to go out into the world as women want and need to follow the clothing trends appropriate to the period and the place. For me, though, there's no doubt that the 50s and 60s were very influential.

There is still a lot of gender sexuality in teenager clothing today, and I am sure the the percentage is about the same for boys wanting to crossdress. It just isn't as big of a deal now, at least in west coast progressive areas.

Quote Originally Posted by Robbiegirl View Post
    Growing up all the girls wore such frilly items and dresses to school
    In the 70's? Not on a day to day basis. Maybe for school events, but not to regular classes. Girls mostly wore jeans.

Not as much Tv back then, so lots more crazyness !
    In the 70's? There was PLENTY of TV. We'd come home from school and watch Gilligan's Island or Brady Bunch or Star Trek, or a ton of cartoons.

Quote Originally Posted by Micki_Finn View Post
    You mean back when it was tacitly “ok” to beat the crap out of men for wearing women’s clothes? Wheeee, fun...
    Yeah.....

I mean sure, I have some nostalgia for vintage fashion I got from watching old movies. I'm as big a fan of The Blessed Audrey Hepburn as the next classic film watcher, but those eras weren't exactly known for being accepting of ANY non-conformity.
    If you believe in it, makeup has a magic all it's own -- Sooner or Later (TV movie)
    We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be?- Marianne Williamson
    Have I also not said that "This Thing of Ours" makes some of us a bit "Barefoot in the Head"? Well, it does.

Aspiring Member
    First tried dressing in the early 60's. Probably tried my sister's clothes first but my mom's fit better. My sister was smaller than me. My mom did have a bullet bra that I liked as well as girdles and hose with a garter. When I first tried it I thought Was the only "weirdo" who ever did this. Then read about transvestites and discovered that it wasn't all that uncommon, even though I was the only one I knew of. Wonder today if I had any other classmates that also enjoyed trying on their mother's clothes.

As I matured I also discovered the sexual enjoyment of crossdressing. For me that desire is no linger a reason to dress. Not that I don't still enjoy sex, it's just no why I dress today. Still in the closet and can't decide if I want to come out. I guess you could say my wife and I are in a DADT situation. She has found some of my things, asked a very short question about why I have them. From there on, no more questions or inquiries about why I had them. When she found them and asked why I had them I would answer "I wanted to see what it was like to wear a bra, or hose, or whatever else she found." I would wait for another question but she never asked and I wasn't confident enough to start telling her more. Don't know where it will all lead as I'm getting older but don't regret trying on my mom's bras at an early age or buying my own clothes over the years.

Wherever there is a Sale or Macys, but mostly Baltimore MD
    Well the police raids on the night clubs are probably not something anyone misses.
    Kelly DeWinter
    Find Kelly at:
    Kelly's Blog
    Flicker
    [COLOR=#2e8b57

I'm surprised that more of us don't have positive things to say about the 70's. My experience was pretty darn positive. Emboldened at least a little bit by rock groups like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NM6I-pmV0RA and many others, there was a lot of crossover between boy's and girl's clothes and hair styles. I've said on here many times that I was allowed a LOT of latitude when it came to clothes and hair. The root of my parent's attitude probably had nothing to do with rock stars, but I think it lent a tiny bit of legitimacy.

BTW, the hairstyle on the singer in that video? Not uncommon. Not on me. I was rolling my hair back then, but (albeit later than 1972) I knew of several boys who straightened their hair with a big round brush and flipped it either under like that guy did or flipped it up. My uncle married a woman with a 13 year old boy who was nearly as obsessed (well, maybe not quite!) with his hair as I was. He'd stretch and straighten his hair with a blow dryer and a round brush, then flip it up in the back and spray it until it was stiff as a board.

There were lots of boys then who did not then or ever identify as crossdressers (that I know of) who wore what we'd now consider very feminine clothes, shoes, and hairstyles and nobody thought anything about it. Boys wore platform heels, tight pants with no back pockets, scoop/U-neck tops. I will say it seems funny now and was disconcerting to me then... You'd see a boy dressed in clothes that would have been equally appropriate on a girl, hair like a fashion model, but with chest hair sprouting out from his shirt and sideburns! I could never understand that, but I think that was a way of compensating.

Those were some pretty good times discovering women’s clothing, how nice it looked and wanting to try it. I loved my mom’s things and especially her girdles but tried on just about everything. Who knew I would be hooked for life and that there were actually other guys who did the same.
    Crissy

I think it was a lot more fun dressing back in that period. Especially the undergarments and foundations.

In the 60's it was such a fun sensation putting on a high waist panty girdle and then sliding up stockings and attaching them to the 3 garter tabs on each leg. And then the multiple hooks of the long line bra and finally letting a long, full nylon slip glide down over all the satin and nylon. And to top it off, walking and feeling the garters tug on your nylon stocking tops with each step. And the fabrics of the dresses back then were to die for and really feminine.

In the 70's I quickly adapted to pantyhose and loved wearing them with a half slip, Marcia Brady style mini dress and wedge heels. The feel of the slip swishing over the pantyhose as I walked was a great turn on.

IMO, the young gurls starting out today got left out of some really great experiences.

Technically, I started dressed in the 1970's, but I don't remember my mother's clothes being all that great. Well, maybe her pantyhose, but that was it. Her clothes got much better in the 1980's...soft polyester and silk in particular. The makeup was better, too. My sister's clothes were terrible though.

Silver Member
    I admit it I was wearing all those pretty things back then. I think it was more fun for the girls and guys. I do like the casual clothes today. I don't remember the girls having the figures that many do to day. We also have more girls that are over weight and wear things to hide it which just bring it out.