Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Was Crossdressing more Fun in the 1960s & 70s

Was Crossdressing more Fun in the 1960s & 70s

Growing up all the girls wore such frilly items and dresses to school that it was impossible not to notice and be curious about how one would look and feel wearing them !

If you had to wear a girl cousins or neighbors clothes if yours got wet you were almost certainly going to end up in a dress. Also so many initiations at fraternities and clubs involved girls getting to doll up the boys in their clothes. Something they greatly enjoyed. In my neighborhood the girls were always putting boys into their girl scout dresses or school dresses for Truth or Dare or other games. Not as much Tv back then, so lots more crazyness !

I wonder with day to day boy clothes and girl clothes being so similar if there are far fewer boys that get curious and crossdress ?

B!.jpg
    Little-Archie.jpg
    Last edited by Robbiegirl; 02-23-2019 at 12:07 PM.

Banned Read only
    My interest in wearing women's clothing did not occur until puberty. I do not recall any instances at all of boys ever donning the attire of their sisters or cousins or playmates. The real big issue in the 1950's and 1960's was confusion about sexual identity. I've stated it many times cross dressing men were deemed to be homosexuals. And to be deemed a homosexual was almost the kiss of death as to how society treated homosexuals.

I love the picture you posted. The lingerie of that era was wonderful. I don't think any little boy really cared about the lingerie. As a teenager with raging hormones and lust after women I'm sure they did not fantasize about wearing those clothes. They fantasized about getting them off a woman.

Being a cross dresser is a lot deeper than just wearing the clothes of a woman.

I would have no idea as I did not start until the 90's

I was only a kid in the sixties; for the first few years, it was just sort of a matter of getting used to wearing girl clothes. My abuser dressed me in his sister's clothes. At home, I took my elder sister's clothes from where my mom had stored them in the attic; at first, I'd return them there when I was done wearing them, but over time, learned places to hide them in my room so I could dress whenever I wanted to. As I got into high school, I was just dressing for myself, going through all the guilt, fear of being caught, and confusion because I truly didn't know what I was, and that feeling went on for a very long time. So I wouldn't exactly call it fun. More of an odd comfortable feeling when dressed up as well as I could, and a satisfied feeling when I could do my hair up like the girls, sometimes put on some make up, too. I got it right a few times, when looking in the mirror I would actually see a cute teenage girl looking back at me. I think I might actually have been able to pass back then, except for my giant size 14 feet.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

In my opinion, the 70s and 80s were the golden age for lingerie, with maidenform sweet nothings, girly bikini panties (but not thongs). Ultra feminine, sexy but in a more subtle way.

It was certainly more difficult for a teenager/young adult to get clothes, and dressing was MUCH riskier.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Be all the woman that you can be!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    . . . and now, On With The Show!

Banned Read only
    Well coming of age in the 70's/80's I do have a soft spot for those styles. I was always attentive to what the women and specially girls my age actually wore. I enjoyed looking through the catalogs at all the pretty things, I basically still do that all the time online now.

The bra I am wearing right now is a vintage store brand and style that had been around since the 70's but they quit making in the 90's. I have a handful of them and immediately buy everyone I see on E-bay in my size.
    Last edited by Robertacd; 02-23-2019 at 02:51 PM.

The 50's and 60's and 70's just seemed more feminine to me. I like full skirts with petticoats and you don't see that much these days.

Banned Read only
    Robbie,
    Maybe girls also had less of a choice then as most wore dresses or skirts , jeans were coming in but mostly Levi's which were very expensive in the UK . Usually the skirts and dresses were fuller so they needed a slip or a fuller petticoat . The mini skirt tipped things on their head , the shorter hemlines meant different underwear and worse of all the advent of tights ( pantihose ) . I loved wearing my sister's full dresses with full petticoats and stockings but wasn't so happy about mini skirts/dresses .

The choice today is mixed as any hemline is OK but women do wear trousers more than skirts and dresses . I looked round the coffee shop yesterday while having coffee with my sister in law and I was the only one wearing a skirt . If you want to dress like a woman then you have to go with the flow , I'm still enjoying it .

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    I was in middle and hi school in the 50/60's. Many boys trying on women's things is a CD fantasy!

Stephanie nailed it! The girls/women looked sexy as heck! We liked the clothes on them. But, only wanted to get the females out of them!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

In the early 60's I wore my sister's clothes and so worried about getting caught.
    Sometimes I like to dress as Linda Leigh

WARNING:Any institutions or individuals using this site or any of its associated sites for studies , projects or any other reasons You DO NOT have permission to use any of my profile or pictures in any form or forum both current and future. If you have or do, it will be considered a violation of my privacy and will be subject to legal ramifications.

Oh to be an English Rose Jane G's Avatar
    Yes the clothes were wonderfull. Though I recall my favourite outfit in the early 70s was a black sparkley cat suit. I was far more out then, quite glam rock, but without the platforms. Hated those silly shoes. Then I went through a phase where I loved light airy summer dresses. Oh sweet memories of youth.

(Of course it was not all roses)

I started dressing mid 60's so of course I became fond of the styles, stiff fabric, and the foundation garments.
    Hard to believe anyone could wear a girdle all day, but they do help make a sexy figure!
    Last edited by Judy-Somthing; 02-24-2019 at 08:21 AM.
    "This is ME" I am not CRAZY, I'm just a GUY who likes dresses!
    Since allot of men dress up in woman's clothing that makes it a manly thing to do!
    Much more fun than fishing.
    I do construction like house building and I love CD-ing, what's the difference?

I may be too young and naive, but I think it is more fun now. Better materials that are stretchy (thank you spandex), stronger (no more runs), easier to maintain (no more dry cleaners), and cheaper than ever (my wallet says thank you). And you buy designs from all the previous decades or buy what is trendy now. The older styles may not blend as well as they did when they were more popular, but if you wanted to blend you could wear the male wardrobe anyways

PS, no more bullet bras

Aspiring Member
    I didn't start until the 1970's and the clothes were rubbish - A line skirts in artificial fabric, very rough sheer tights, boring underwear, shoes like clogs. There were still some old fashioned shops selling ghastly clothes like brushed nylon nighties and you could even buy directoire knickers in department stores. I bought one pair and have only worn them once - no idea where they are now. The bras and girdles were made of some horrible stiff stuff that looked a bit medical. I know you can see lovely stuff in catalogues but I suspect that this is from the 50's and 60's not the 70's. It is much better now than the 70's.

Platinum Member
    Hi Robbie Girl , I started in the Mid - Late 40s and by the 60s' & 70s' It was just what I loved to do.

>>>>>>>>>>>Orchid ..00..
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

Back in the early 60's I started trying woman's clothing on here and there when I could. Things I could find handy or sneak. It was fun but a bit hard to hide and a bit stressful. fast forward to 2006 when I told my wife who accepted Angie into the house the fun really started.
    Angie

[SIZE=1]- - - Updated - - -[/SIZE]

It was fun back in the 60's. I've much more fun now the my fife knows and plays along with it.
    Angie

I wasn't alive in the 60's and 70's but I will say that typically, unless a clothing store is basing their items off of trends from the past, I tend to prefer picking up vintage pieces at thrift shops.

I dunno... Girls can wear whatever they want, but lots of fashion today is very basic, skintight, and worst of all, boring! I like pretty, lacy, flowey things, and maybe a rad floral pattern here and there! I also tend to prefer to dress modestly (That goes for when I'm in guy mode as well!), and it's a lot easier to find modest clothing options when I buy older clothing.

You mean back when it was tacitly “ok” to beat the crap out of men for wearing women’s clothes? Wheeee, fun...

I didn’t go out until the middle 70S and it was much more nerve racking than today you had to be very careful where you went , and it also helped if you could fight it need be but is was worth the risk , I would do it all over again

Susie

What's the point in wondering? Assuming it was better, we couldn't go back to that time anyway.

I believe this song encapsulates my feelings on the matter.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RJReBytC9So
    When haters hate, I celebrate!

Sitting here thinking, I prefer current styles to past decades. My zone is wearing skinny jeans and a nice blouse. I've tried dresses and skirts, but I prefer jeans especially skinny jeans.

Ahhh, the 60's & 70's, I'm sure your closet was so much more spacious then.
    Like a corpse deep in the earth I'm so alone, restless thoughts torment my soul, as fears they lay confirmed, but my life has always been this way - Virginia Astley, "Some Small Hope" (1986)
    Sunlight falls, my wings open wide. There's a beauty here I cannot deny - David Sylvian, "Orpheus" (1987)

Banned Read only
    Patience,
    The fact is if we want , there are great retro shops that sell the older styles , charity shops can have some good finds as well .

I might just ask if one of my social groups might do a sixties themed evening.

Micki,
    While you are possibly right Robbie wasn't thinking along those lines . I think it was a lovely question to ask , it made me look back over that period and maybe some of the younger ones might have enjoyed our recollections .

Back in the 1960s the world was a good deal more homophobic than it is now. I knew that I loved wearing my mum's clothes, but the feeling of guilt was HUGE.

In the 1970s I was married to woman who refused to wear hosiery or heels. This provide me with the 'excuse' to do so. But I still had children to worry about, as well as a wife who could not and would not understand my position.

Also, there was not internet, and so I supposed that I was alone in my desires.

So, No I don't think crossdressing in the 1960s and 70s was fun at all! At least, that was my experience.