Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: So... my hair

Kelly I think you are spot on and it makes alot of sense to have that feeling... Maybe its a "right" connection to your body..
    Lots of women can have short hair, and be very masculine about it... lots of women are not feminine at all.. but that's completely irrelevant to us
    its still their hair, their body, their sense of self .. rejecting social gender cues is not changing gender roles..

I think its fair to say wigs can be a rough go.

Anyone considering transition should take that into account.
    They are uncomfortable and its a sad fact that many of them dont look so great, and its hard to make them look the same every day so that it really feels like your own hair... its pretty expensive to get good wigs..

One other thing is that taking it off isn't alot of fun when its meaningful to your gender identity. Like a daily reminder. sometimes taking the wig off made me cry.

in the end, you gotta do what you gotta do and make the best of it. If you need wigs, I think its well worth it to save up and get the best wig possible

to that end, I recommend avoiding human hair. the best synthetics are way more durable, easier to style, easier to clean and easier to make comfortable..
    if you are on the east coast, I'd plug el dorado hair replacement center near Baltimore. they are fantastic and super supportive.
    I am real

Banned Read only
    Eemz,
    Very much my thoughts , I feel totally comfortable with my appearance because I don't give a confusing message , I still say it's why I don't have a problem .

As for eyebrows they do need constant attention but I'm getting there , as for losing the forms well I only use enough to supplement what I have which is about 50-50 , I admit I would miss them now , wearing them everyday just feels right . I do have a small confession , I'm so use to them that I was about to step out the door and realised something wasn't quite right when the strap on my shoulder bag didn't catch on them .

Kaitlyn,
    Taking off my wig is the last job before bed , after that I try not to look in the mirror . My problem is I hate my ears , if I had any surgery the first would be to improve my ears , so short hair is a NO-NO for me .

I have no problems at all maintaining my wig , good quality ones virtually style themselves , even when I get caught in a strong wind I know I can just push it back into place with a few flicks of my fingers .
    Last edited by Teresa; 03-04-2019 at 11:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Katya@ View Post
    Aunt Kelly,
    Next thing try wax your eyebrows in the hair salon. For me it was the next big frontier on my face after growing hair and removing the facial hair (still WIP) . Another one that your won't want to go back after you try.
    I've had my eyebrows waxed and shaped for over two years. You're right. It's an important part of the look.
    Calling bigotry an "opinion" is like calling arsenic a "flavor".

I love the term “folically challenged”! That’s me. I have a wonderful, natural looking wig, but in S Florida it’s hot. I looked into Hair Club. Aside from being expensive, does anyone here have experience with them?

Aspiring Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Teresa View Post
    Jean,
    I mustn't sidetrack this too much but does your wig have a lace or monofilament cap ?
    Monofilament.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorit View Post
    I live in a very hot and long summer climate.
    While our summers are shorter than yours, they also are hot (and very humid). In winter, we see -30C fairly frequently, with sometimes several days in a row below -20C (this winter has been especially challenging). In summer, +35C is not unheard of, I think the record for where I live is +37C, and long bouts in the low-to-mid 30s is common in July and August. I find as I age, I handle temperature extremes less well (I'm in my 60s). At least for cold, the wigs help, but in summer heat, it can get pretty miserable even with a fairly well aerated cap. I might experiment with light scarves this summer. What little hair I have, I shave off every 2 weeks.

Believe me I realize that my "need" for transition is not constant. I've figured that one out a while ago. There are other factors of course, but wearing a wig in summer certainly is one of them. Yes, part-time is ultimately the solution I have embraced. I would love it to be most of the time but the family (DADT) reality is that it is the other way around. Still, I'm in a livable balance, and relatively at peace with my situation. The farthest I may go down this road is HRT. That looks quite possible at the moment. But as my therapist says, never say never. Things may progress beyond that, or they may not. I just take it one day at a time.

My hair is nearly gone so wigs offer me variety, daily changes, which makes me happy

Dear Aunt Kelly,
    Would you mind terribly letting me know by a personal message who your hairstylist is? I am also in Houston and have been looking for somebody who can do for me what they did for you.