Thread: Almost caught in awkward situation

Almost caught in awkward situation

I was in a small city about an hour from where I live with nothing to do today, so I wandered into a few shops. I was underdressed as I am not “out”. I found myself in a vintage shop with a rack of attractive vintage bras, slips and such. And at least one bra looked to be my size. The shop was quiet and the shopkeeper was doing paper work with her head down. I made a circle inspecting the other merchandise with the intention of ending back at the lingerie and choosing something. I figured I didn’t need to explain why I was buying it and the woman at the desk would assume it was for my wife. When I was near the shopkeeper I said “hello”, just to be polite. She looked up and knew me instantly. Our kids played together 25 years ago. We had a nice chat but I couldn’t see buying lingerie in a size she knew wouldn’t fit my wife but would fit me. I just thought how glad I was I said “hello” before carrying an item to get checked out.

Lol that sounded like a close one but you didn't get caught so count that as a win.

I can only imagine your surprise when you realized you knew the SA, who would have thought that would happen. Too bad that you did not get the pretty bra you had your eye on.
    Crissy

Surprise, surprise. :-)

Yes it happens form time to time.

Just wait till next time, you may get a different S.A.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    What were you afraid of?

Ya know, *we* make a bigger deal out of this stuff than it actually is. In the long run, I'm sure the shop keeper would have been thankful for a sale.
    Before you can love another, you must first like yourself

I Aim To Misbehave

Labels belong on BOXES, not PEOPLE!

Banned Read only
    Mermaiden,
    The problem is more in your mind than hers , you won't have been the first to buy female clothes in male mode . My way round was to be positive and say , " If they don't fit may I return them ? " There is quiet a lott written in that simple question .

As for sizing , I always carried my sizes written down , if you do stumble with the purchase you can always say , " They are for wife/ daughter ..., she wrote the sizes down to help me out ".

This the point why I stick to one size form , I know I'm a 36C , my wasit is 31" and my hips 37" , about a UK size 12 . Having these facts I don't stumble about the racks , I positively go to the 12 hangars , pull the clothes out , check them over and hold them up against myself to check in the mirror , just like a GG would . If I'm happy I'll ask to try on , one thing I do in charity shops is that if something doesn't fit I tell the SAs that the item could be sized wrongly , they are often grateful and usually relable it .

So in the past 25 years, you don't think your wife could have changed in any way, possibly needing a bra of that size? Maybe she don't even remember what your wife looked like back then.
    Maybe being a shop keeper she doesn't care who is spending money in her shop.
    Don't let the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game.

Silver Member
    Years ago I was going to go to a dress shop that carried great dresses. Never made it, but my wife did. This was long before I was out to friends. Anyway we became friends with the two women who owned it. They were friends with most of my wife's friends also. It was lucky for me at the time.

I'm sure most dress shops have had male customers. The bad news was they had great clothes that I would have liked to have.

Probably ended up for the better not going to the counter bra in hand and then being recognised. Your shock would have probably made her suspicious.
    A.K.A Rebecca & Bec

I had a similar situation recently. I was shopping en femme at the Mall of America, I was just about to walk in to Victoria’s Secret when I saw someone I knew coming from the stock room with an arm full in merchandise. She used to work at a motorcycle shop I frequently visit. Fortunately she didn’t see me, or all my motorcycle people would know my secret.

Yep...add me to the “small world” experience. We live in a small, nosy, gossipy town so, when dressed, we travel out of town to shop, dinner, a movie, etc. We were heading for the movie when we saw our friends. We quickly did an immediate about-face and left. Whew.

One of my first times out for a day in the Mall .
    I went to Lubbock , Texas . It was over 100 miles away
    from home, so I felt relatively safe . After making the rounds of women's
    clothing stores I decided to visit Merle
    Norman to maybe get some makeup . It
    was a slow day and the Lady that waited on me
    offered to do a free makeover .
    I settled down in the. chair at the counter .
    As we got going she started to make conversation .
    where are you from ? I am from _____
    She laughed and said I am from _____
    Too !
    Oh no , you will not tell anyone?..... Please !
    She promised she wouldn't and never did

JAS

Banned Read only
    I think it obvious the purchase would have been out of her "comfort zone." She does not have to justify to me or anyone else why she did not make the purchase. Maybe, nothing would have happened. Maybe, something would have happened later. We don't know.