Thread: First Makeup Lesson

First Makeup Lesson

So, if I don’t get snowed out, tomorrow will be my first ever makeup lesson from somebody other than a YouTube personality! I’ve been out shopping and such several times now so getting out isn’t a big deal. The big difference this time is going out minus makeup on my way there. The advice from the person who scheduled me (at Sephora) was that if they didn’t need to remove it they would have more time to do work. They suggested I wear a hat, lol! I’m thinking maybe a scarf. Any advice on general preparation would be more than appreciated!

how long is your scheduled appt going to last? I always walk-in (guymode) at sephora, and ask for help w a specific product I read about online. I get them to help me w color/shade, etc. and it's usually about 15min task for them. don't forget, if something doesn't seem right, go back and ask, and save your receipt. the artists don't always get it right.

and fiy, some of the big box store stuff is good enough, and 1/4 of the cost some targets even have cosmetic consultants.

Kari,
    I remember my first salon appointment to get my hair set.

Exciting isn't it?
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Quote Originally Posted by Beverley Sims View Post
    Exciting isn't it?
    Very exciting . A few months ago, when I had not yet told my wife, arranging to be able to do something like this was near impossible. Having her support to do so now is an amazing feeling of freedom and gratitude in addition to the excitement.

[SIZE=1]- - - Updated - - -[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by closets View Post
    how long is your scheduled appt going to last? I always walk-in (guymode) at sephora, and ask for help w a specific product I read about online. I get them to help me w color/shade, etc. and it's usually about 15min task for them. don't forget, if something doesn't seem right, go back and ask, and save your receipt. the artists don't always get it right.

and fiy, some of the big box store stuff is good enough, and 1/4 of the cost some targets even have cosmetic consultants.
    Thanks for the advice. My appointment is for an hour for help with overall makeup. The idea is to have them do full makeup, advise on the right colors for skin tone, eyes etc. I’ve done my own for a couple years based on online tutorials so I think I know enough to at least ask some good questions , but I’m sure I make a lot of mistakes that I’m not even aware of and I’m curious to see what a professional can do and teach me.

There’s a minimum purchase of $50 that covers the hour of their time which to me seems reasonable. But yes, I’m aware of the price differential between much of the product there and my current stock of stuff from Target and Walmart.

Great!

Be sure to shave thoroughly. Wear sunglasses to obscure your face and avoid unwanted eye contact.

Hope the weather is helpful. Have fun.
    When haters hate, I celebrate!

Quote Originally Posted by Patience View Post
    Wear sunglasses to obscure your face and avoid unwanted eye contact.
    Thanks Patience, I somehow hadn’t thought of sunglasses!

You’re welcome, Kari.

Some well meaning people have argued that wearing sunglasses unnecessarily may in and of itself be a source of unwanted attention, but somehow I think they would not be the first thing people would notice on a male person wearing female clothing. Good luck.
    When haters hate, I celebrate!

Quote Originally Posted by Patience View Post
    Some well meaning people have argued that wearing sunglasses unnecessarily may in and of itself be a source of unwanted attention
    I can see that point of view. I think the most noticeable thing is the slight coloration that remains no matter how closely I shave. I know how to handle it with makeup but in this case there will be none. I may experiment with just a touch of color correction.

sunglasses inside a store, and during a makeup session is silly. they will need to see your whole face and that includes your eye areas. they'll ask you to wipe your face clean to start, so don't bother to put anything on unless you want to show them something. good communication and trust is important. don't worry, you won't be their first or last male-born customer. personally, i go in guymode because I don't want the cd stuff to be a distraction, but that's just me. think of yourself as being special b/c you'll probably be the only guy in their for makeup.

write down questions, your makeup and skin regime, and the product names b/c they'll ask
    you'll easily blow through the minimum, so get your money's worth from them

Please post the photos!

Quote Originally Posted by closets View Post
    sunglasses inside a store, and during a makeup session is silly. they will need to see your whole face and that includes your eye areas. they'll ask you to wipe your face clean to start, so don't bother to put anything on unless you want to show them something. good communication and trust is important. don't worry, you won't be their first or last male-born customer. personally, i go in guymode because I don't want the cd stuff to be a distraction, but that's just me. think of yourself as being special b/c you'll probably be the only guy in their for makeup.

write down questions, your makeup and skin regime, and the product names b/c they'll ask
    you'll easily blow through the minimum, so get your money's worth from them
    I’d definitely not wear anything on my face during a makeup session . I was only concerned with the makupless walk through the mall. When I called to set things up I asked if they had someone who was more familiar with genetically male faces. The woman said they all could do it and that it was getting more common. I hadn’t considered that they would ask what I use now. Thanks for the heads up, and writing it down is a good idea.

you can bring your face made up and they'll be able to see what you have done, and then just remove it all before they start. heck, take a selfie and do a before and after

I walked into ulta in full guy mode and asked to have my makeup done the girl was more then happy to do it for me and know one in the store paid attention to what was going on,I had a great time

Kari, did you go to the lesson, and if so, how was it?

Kari I’m stressing about the same thing! Not quite sure how to get in to Bare and then leave. Maybe there’s a dressing room there? Arrive in boy mode leave en femme?

Go in girl mode but don't bother with makeup. A little puppy and the shades and March on in.

My first time was with a Mary K rep. She was awesome. I confirmed with her that she was OK with me being a CD before we agreed to the appointment
    She has a few male customers and suggested i bring my clothes and wig to change into when we were done.
    I felt so comfortable that I even let her daughter check out the finished product. I had her complete attention for as long as it took.

The one other time I had my makeup done was of a my first full night out as Shelby. I made a one-hour appointment at MAC. I was up front and told them what was going on and they said there would be no problem, they had a private room and it would be fine.
    It started out OK except I could tell the girl doing my makeup was uneasy.
    The appointment ran long, it takes a lot of lipstick to make some pigs attractive, LOL... and I ended up moving out int the common area, which made me uneasy.
    My makeup did look great. I was still a guy in a dress, but with really nice makeup.

Both were eager to make a sale and both turned out fine, just wanted to share a few experiences for you to use as reference. I do, however suggest the Mary K route if you can find a rep that has experience with male customers.
    I am Me and Me is OK!

Shelby

Banned Read only

Post sephoras does TG only free makeup before the store opens up

Most sephoras here in Hollywood and beverlyhills in calif. have private makeup rooms.

https://m.sephora.com/happening/home
    Last edited by traciethetg; 03-10-2019 at 02:05 AM.

Tracie do you know if this is all sephora’s? Vegas?

Quote Originally Posted by Emily26 View Post
    Kari I’m stressing about the same thing! Not quite sure how to get in to Bare and then leave. Maybe there’s a dressing room there? Arrive in boy mode leave en femme?
    Quote Originally Posted by RaleighwoodTGirl View Post
    Kari, did you go to the lesson, and if so, how was it?
    I thought maybe I should follow up. I did go. I dressed in mid heel ankle boots, women’s jeans, and a comfy jewel neckline sweater (so it wouldn’t get in the way of makeup). Wig but no makeup. Shaved just before leaving. The Sephora was in a mall. I walked about half the length of the mall to get there. Didn’t get so much as an odd look. People are mostly involved with their own concerns I think. So, happily, all the concern for that was for nothing.

I was greeted immediately on walking into the store. I told the person who greeted me that I had an appointment. She was clearly expecting me, asked if I was Kari, showed me to a makeup station and went to let the makeup artist know I was there. The makeup artist was great. I didn’t sense any discomfort on her part. In fact she was welcoming, friendly, and comforting to me. I asked a ton of questions and she answered them all as well as helping me pick out products that were proper shades and ingredients for my goals. Finally, I was really pleased with the results she produced and learned a lot just watching her technique.

One kind of fun part of the session was that other makeup artists ocassionally came over, in curiosity I think, to see what my artist was doing and commenting (positively) on her approach and results. Every one of them used female pronouns when referring to me without ever seeming even slightly hesitant about it.

All in all it was a positive and enjoyable learning experience and afterwards I enjoyed some shopping at the mall (now with makeup ).

I’d encourage anyone interested to go for it.

So happy to hear that you had a positive experience, Kari. I am not at all surprised. Sephora has very clearly decided to go after the TG market, and they seem to be doing it right, investing in excellent training for their staff, and not just tools and technique. They clearly have made it a priority to be as supportive and welcoming as possible. Sure, that's good for business, but don't you wish every business valued us even half as much?

So what did you go home with? I know you didn't get out of there without a bag full of stuff.
    Calling bigotry an "opinion" is like calling arsenic a "flavor".

Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Kelly View Post
    So what did you go home with? I know you didn't get out of there without a bag full of stuff.
    You’re totally correct . I was looking for silicone free replacements for a lot of what I had been using; especially eye makeup. So I left with a number of Tarte products for the eye area and Milk foundation. Not cheap but it had the ingredients I wanted.