Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: LGBT question, Job applying

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    Good point, Giuseppina. If they aren't going to hire u or will fire u because of a trans issue? Do u really want to work there anyway? R u that desperate?

That is why I would ask them why they asked the LGBT question? If their answer isn't Kosher, I'd walk rite out! And, so should u!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Silver Member
    Over the years I've hired and fired a lot of people. It was part of my job and I supervised others doing the hiring. There is no right answer, but I would error on the side of saying no. It never bothered me one way or the other what was put in there. For the most part companies I was working with didn't have that question on the application and I would have suggested taking it off the application. It is a bomb for both the employer and the applicant. It sets the company for a charge of discrimination. It sets the applicant up for a manager who dislikes LGBTs

The other thing is, I would point out don't push your agenda. Don't wear women's clothes or play into the stereotype movements. I'm not trying to be hard, but if you need a job that is the role you need to play. I was in a different situation, no one hired me because they liked me.
    If you have a job you can have fun applying, but when I was young I was fired for interviewing with a competitor. Actually I wasn't, but they didn't care I was at the enemy camp. Best thing that happened to me for years.

Protect your privacy. Lie. You're not under oath and their right to ask this question in an application does not override your right to keep this part of your life to yourself, whatever the reason and whenever you like.

I'm out at work, but I only came out after I got hired. In fact, I felt encouraged to come out because there's an all gender restroom in the facility. Had that not been there, I might have not come out at work at all. I've just been promoted into another department. I'm planning to come to work dressed on Pride weekend, whenever that is. Girl, are they in for a surprise...

If this is a concerning factor and can afford to be choosy (lucky you), you may consider researching your potential employers' LGBTQ friendliness to decide if that's a place where you'd like to work.
    When haters hate, I celebrate!

Banned Read only
    Allie,
    If Eva was seeking employement working with people the question may be more relevent than wanting to become a deep sea diver , OK they legally can't stop anyone applying for the latter but the questions don't have the same bearing . Is there no common sense and logic left in this World ?
    Last edited by Teresa; 03-08-2019 at 09:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Teresa View Post
    If Eva was seeking employement working with people the question my be more relevent than wanting to become a deep sea diver
    I guess I'm living in a world totally different than the one that the above statement would be true in. I can see no legitimate reason why they should be asking for this information.

I currently work in an environment where I have to deal with hundreds of people every day and the fact that I'm transitioning and bi-sexual has no bearing on anything that I'm required to do. All that matters is if I have the needed qualifications for the job and if I am capable of doing the job. In fact the agency I'm employed by has stated that sexual orientation and/or gender identity have no bearing on who they hire or promote, and have protection from harassment for these things in their policies. I also have had offers from other agencies and again my gender identity or sexual orientation had no bearing on whether an employment offer would be made.

As far as the question in the OP unless you are currently known to be in the "LBGT catagory" I would answer no, if I even answered the question at all. You can always bring it up later if there comes a time that it would be appropriate to have the discussion.

I would answer no.
    There's a growing use of that line of questioning and it's also appearing on some college entrance applications.

Also companies can't "ensure confidentiality and anonymity," Data breach etc, Although Goldman says it removes the data.....

Here's what one company says (Goldman Sachs)

“We ask for this data because we want to keep ourselves accountable,” says Anilu Vazquez-Ubarri, Goldman’s chief diversity officer and global head of talent. In other words, she says, the bank wants to make sure it is not unfairly discriminating against LGBT applicants.

Under Equal Employment Opportunity Commission rules first implemented in 1978, major employers are required to track their job applicants and employees’ nationality, race, and gender (though applicants are free to withhold the information). While the data is not part of hiring decisions, it can be used in employment discrimination cases that arise. The EEOC, however, does not mandate tracking of LGBT status, though it says federal discrimination protections extend to that community—even if the law does not explicitly say so.

But Goldman, whose benefits package covers sex reassignment surgery, decided to start measuring its own LGBT inclusivity roughly a year ago. Its method is similar to that of the commission: First, it asks candidates to self-identify. Then, it removes the data from the resume and interview process. Finally, after the hires have been made, Goldman checks if the proportion of LGBT applicants is reflected in the eventual group hired.

While the bank isn’t seeking to hit a specific target at the moment, it is hoping to increase its percentage of LGBT employees, which it plans to track on a monthly, quarterly, and annual basis.
    Last edited by Lisa516; 03-07-2019 at 08:42 AM. Reason: spelling correction in sentence 4
    As many as 43 percent of all people with gender dysphoria attempt suicide in their lives. dont let yourself become part of that very tragic statistic.
    Balance-Dignity-Acceptance-Responsibility-

Illegal questions! I would not answer them and keep looking elsewheres.

Thanks for all opinions. This gives me the sence that I am not alone thinking that the question is not correct or even illegal. But believe me it is not exclusion, but practice. That's right, in Canada. I am surprized too. Ok, I am knocking on the doors in the financial industry, mostly back office positions. That question is common part of allmost all internet based application questionaries. Frankly, I have never been asked directly, in face to face interview. Just a minutes ago, a large national player, bank asks me: "Do you consider yourself to be a member of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender plus (LGBT+) community?" I still don't believe that they ask trying to reach some diversity. What a pity....

I feel deep down that it is none of their business unless it would affect your work output. I mean I wouldn't want as a business owner of a welding employee wearing hose and heels. First I would ask what your job description would be and do research as to what that entails. Will you have to wear a uniform or is it an office job where you might set all day.
    On the the other hand if it doesn't affect your work output then I would think most bosses could care less.
    As said here already I haven't seen that on an application in the states here and really surprised also it's on one in Canada but maybe they are having to hire so many LGBT to prevent law suits or something.

TrueNorth Strong & Fierce Princess Chantal's Avatar
    Hmmm the “Big Five” national banks and some credit unions play integral role in the annual Pride events and within the Winnipeg Lgbt community year long.

Banned Read only
    Chantal,
    I'm with Santander and they have ben supporting the LGBTQ communtiy for some time .

I can't say for certain but I would guess the UK is more supportive than the US but do appreciate legally they do have to have an open policy . That's fine and good but customers , parents etc. aren't so legally bound , they can take their business elsewhere or move their children to another school , hence my reply based on Eva's occupation .

The problem we often face is having 99% support and that 1% dissent carries more weight than the figure suggests . Personally I have no complaints as I've been accepted 100% so far which is very encouraging when I start my art group .

Lisa,
    Thanks for taking the trouble to post the policy of Goldman Sachs , in their sector they've put performance before gender . As long as you can take the pressure you will keep your job , gender isn't priority .
    Last edited by Teresa; 03-08-2019 at 09:30 AM.

Questions like that are, by default and by law, optional. You don;t have to answer. The company, at least in the US, legally cannot use that information in making an employment decision. Most likely, they are just gathering general demographic information about who is applying. Corporate America has come a long way in the past 20 years. My previous employer, GM, was consistently recognized for their inclusive culture and had active LGBTQ groups recognized by the company offering support and social interaction opportunities. I had a coworker who transitioned(MTF) and nobody batted an eye. She's been promoted twice since she changed her name, if I'm not mistaken.

Don't answer if you don't want to or just answer No if you still have concerns.
    Last edited by ShelbyDawn; 03-08-2019 at 01:23 PM.
    I am Me and Me is OK!

Shelby

Aspiring Member
    Where I work, a state university, LGBT is now a privileged class. Even ten years ago, who would have thought that would ever happen? Even so, I fly below the radar. It has been observed that a government powerful enough to give you many things is powerful enough to take them all away on a whim or a simple change of leadership.

As for the question, I just leave it blank. These are almost always statistics gathering to impress some Federal bureaucrat who only wants a data file to check some box and who could not care less what the data may reveal. I see it often at the university where I work. We have a Sub-Vice-President who has statistics for three meals a day and twice for afternoon tea. Everything, even the feral cats and the field mice in the Agriculture Buildings, must be reduced to statistics. There is so much data that no army of accountants could possibly look into more than a small fraction of them. Even with our statistics monger in charge, I have never been called out for leaving such a question blank. Often, a blank response will crash the software. This is most often true with SurveyMonkey. At that point, if confronted, I just tell them to fix their software if they want my data. That is the end of it because they never do.

I would answer it honestly. If they don't want you as an LGBT person, you probably don't want to work for them. I worked for a seriously bigoted company for many years and I don't recommend it. I saw my retirement as independence day.

Dee

Quote Originally Posted by Paula DAngelo View Post
    All that matters is if I have the needed qualifications for the job and if I am capable of doing the job.
    You might think so. But say, if you were a front line person in a business that dealt primarily with people who are uneasy about folks like you, it might just affect their business. So like someone else said, if you really need a job, sometimes it's better to avoid disclosing anything that might make your potential employer wish to hire someone else.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

So
    I have a couple of thoughts about this
    First, it’s very much illegal to ask this question, just like it’s illegal to ask questions regarding things like age, and religion. You don’t ever have to answer questions like that, and if an employer doesn’t accept your opting out of those questions, you probably don’t want that job.
    Also, let’s be real, there are very few jobs in this world, that have anything to do with what genitals you have, and that information is no one’s business but yours, unless you care to share it.
    My opinion, if you want to be out at work, then interview that way. Be conservative in your outfit and makeup, but be out. Many employers nowadays, are becoming more progressive, so just be confident, and knock the interview out of the park.
    I’ve been going through the same thing right now, as I’m looking for work. I’m very close to getting a new job in a major lingerie store, 100% in my feminine presentation, and also 100% as a husband that’s working on starting a family. Now, that’s all information that I shared as part of the interview, none of it was asked of me. The interviewer only asked questions that pertained to my ability to the job, and nothing about my gender of sexuality, beyond what I volunteered.
    Now, it definitely took quite a bit of searching to find this job, but I know there are many more out there.
    Good luck to you!!
    It’s just like, my opinion man

I flatly refuse to answer these questions, in the past they were usually on a seperate sheet on the application form, and I never filled it in. Now with online applications, and they don't let you proceed till you answer, I always put prefer not to say. As far as I'm concerned, you should be recruiting the best person for the job. If you are looking to recruit to fulfill a "right on" agenda, then that shows you're not looking after the best interests of the company.
    "She snuck up on me from behind. You'd think women would make more noise with those big high heels, but they don't, they've got this stealth thing going..."

Quote Originally Posted by sometimes_miss View Post
    But say, if you were a front line person in a business that dealt primarily with people who are uneasy about folks like you, it might just affect their business. So like someone else said, if you really need a job, sometimes it's better to avoid disclosing anything that might make your potential employer wish to hire someone else.
    So because someone might feel uneasy seeing us we should just roll over and conform to what makes everyone else feel at ease. How well has this worked for other groups? This is the same type of logic used to discriminate against groups in the past. I thought that discrimination was something that was to be avoided, not encouraged. I didn't realize we were living in the 50's again.
    Last edited by Paula DAngelo; 03-10-2019 at 09:46 AM.

There is the culture of customers and the culture of the business. It is entirely possible for a company to be LGBTQ friendly even though the customers are not. You should at least try to work for a company with a similar set of values, even if you are stuck in area of business where you are always going to find hostile customers.

Banned Read only
    What Lisa indicated (#31) and others according to the EEOC these tracking questions are not to be used in the hiring process. They can be tabulated post hiring. I would think before even looking for a job the applicant would do a cursory check of the firm. There is a debate whether or not transgender men and women are protected under federal statutes. Check with the vice president! And, in many states there is protection for transgender men and women. In states that do not recognize any rights for transgender men and women, and, the state allows for firing for no cause, then check out the firm before applying.

Aspiring Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sometimes_miss View Post
    ...sometimes it's better to avoid disclosing anything that might make your potential employer wish to hire someone else.
    Well said! If there are many applicants, managers will often first find easy ways to reduce the list. For good or ill, I have seen the laziness that goes with the territory on hiring committees. Using answers to such questions is one way to cut the hiring task down to size. It is not good or fair or right, but it does happen. Proving individual acts in such cases is difficult even if the law is on your side.

I am particularly sensitive to this in university work. Answering questions that indicate that I am a middle-aged, white male is a quick ticket to the reject pile. I have lost opportunities for that reason alone, my most recent interview, for example. Friends already in the university have told me not to bother applying because I am not in the correct group for the position. That sucks! So I fly beneath the radar when I can. No, it is not good or fair or right. If the choice is keeping my mouth shut and getting a job that I can do well or staying unemployed on principle, that becomes a hard decision.