Thread: Hormone routes

Hormone routes

In a previous thread, Katya asked for more commentary on the route for taking HRT. Rather than highjack the original thread, it was suggested that a new one be started, so here goes. First, the myth that one route is better for your liver than another. To address this, one needs to understand how estrogen is metabolized by the body. Certain forms of estrogen, generally the oral forms, go through the liver and have chemical groups on the main molecule altered, which converts the molecule into a more biologically active compound. Then, the compound goes out to the end organs where it reacts at the tissue level. The metabolites are then returned to the liver for excretion. Hence, the “two passes” through the liver. There is nothing dangerous about this, just metabolism at work. This assumes a healthy liver. Frankly, if the liver is too sick to handle the “two” passes, then the person is unlikely to be taking estrogen. The drug companies who first released the patches, used the fact that their estrogen was absorbed directly into the blood stream and bypassed the liver the first time around as part of their sales pitch. Drug company sales pitches may have some basis in fact but are generally designed to increase sales and make money.

Now for the route of administration. Estrogen comes in several different forms, and how they are administered, in part, determines which form is taken. All of the different forms have different biological activity which is the potency of the drug at the tissue level. The efficiency of drug getting to the tissues varies according to the route administered. Oral is the least efficient, intramuscular (IM), subcutaneous (SQ) injections and transdermal (TD) are similar, and direct intravenous (IV) is the best. Topical estrogen is only efficient when applied to mucosal tissue such as that found in the vagina. Now for the wrench in the works…humans. We are all different in how we handle medications. But in general, we will react similarly. For example, if we take one hundred people starting HRT, the majority will be able to take an oral, and usually, cheaper form. However, when sitting across from Ms. Jane Doe and planning a treatment regimen, the physician can only guess what will be the best route. Frankly, that decision may be influenced by how many preconceived notions the patient has, how much she can afford, the physician’s experience (which may be quite limited), the impact of the internet, and the phase of the moon. No route is the best. The route may be changed based on the patient’s subsequent hormone levels. Even those hormone levels can be a little shaky because of things like the time of day the levels are drawn (hormone levels have a circadian rhythm), different levels of other things that may impair the biological activity of the hormone (food or antibiotics, either orally ingested or shots, when taking the oral hormones) etc.

And you wonder why you see so many different regimens discussed here. It would almost be easier, after getting a good history and physical, to draw something out of a hat and go with it. The best route for you is the one that works.

But, the regimen that grows D sized breasts in three months, sheds 30 pounds from ones weight, decreases the waist to 28 inches, increases the hips to 36 inches, causes all facial hair to fall out and never return, and cures baldness will be released...in the future.

Thank you for the scholarly (well... for us lay persons, at least) and sober treatise on subject that is more myth than fact in these pages. Y'all aren't from around here, are you. 😁
    I can see that we're going to need a counterpoint. Maybe somebody knows someone who knows a TS who got a set of D cup girls in less than a year.

Seriously, ladies. HRT is serious business. Anecdotal evidence has no place in the consideration of such a step. Don't get me wrong. I would never discourage anyone from any reasonable treatment for GD, but I sincerely wish that everyone would approach it with eyes wide open, and armed with factual information from credible sources.

Banned Read only
    Laura,
    Many thanks for you detailed explanation .

I feel your last paragraph says it all , the magic potion may happen in the future but that is what many hope will happen .

It would be interesting to get a UK based member to tell of their experiences under the NHS , if you are totally in their hands your are resticted by their budgets , I wonder how some deal with the trade off between effectiveness against cost . Maybe Pamela or Nigella could help us out .

Effectiveness, that what happens at the tissue level, can eventually be obtained with any route in the normal person. Simplistically, just increase the dose. We really do not care how much goes down the tube, so to speak, but we care how much gets to the tissues. So, though one may have to follow a regimen dictated by a health service, eventually, for the majority, it will work.

Untitled
    In response to Teresa's comment, the UK system (National Health Service) isn't really restricted by budget, we pay the same no matter what delivery system is used via the standard prescription charge, in my case it's cheaper because I use the prepay system rather than the as needed.

I had the discussion with the endo about delivery systems, all types were discussed, and the dosage required for getting to a balanced level for a natal female of my age. An injection would have meant, initially, a trip to the gender clinic to have the shots, tablet form could have, due to other medication, been too high a dose for the liver to deal with so transdermal (patches) was the delivery method of choice.

I've had no issue with the patches and have a regular check to ensure levels are where they should be. If my GP has any concerns, she will refer me back to the gender clinic for assessment as she herself has said it is not an area she has any expertise.

The magic pill method is not on the cards and there are so many factors that makes the changes you will get a total crap shoot. One point to remember though, a natal female takes years to get to a level where things just stop growing and then maintain - time is your enemy there
    Last edited by Nigella; 03-09-2019 at 12:41 PM.
    Listen carefully to what is said, quite often you can hear what is not being said

The joy of correcting a mistake can bring pain to another

Also in the UK, my GP has been prescribing my HRT, and the blood levels are all in the right ranges, and I have the oral E, and quarterly injections of anti-a.
    For my own biochemistry, the E-alone did not work to suppress the T, but it apparently does for other patients.

I'm reckoning on 3 1/2 years for the puberty equivalent to happen, not even yet reached A-cup from 14 months anti-t and 18 months E, but then a size 46inch chest means a much bigger mass to grow before the gains are seen, so I'm wondering if my growth path will take a lot longer, or just end at B if I'm lucky.

oh and yes the ones in my avatar/profile pic are real, and not yet size A!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJFyz73MRcg
    I used to believe this, now I'm in the company of many tiggers. A tigger does not wonder why she is a tigger, she just is a tigger.

thanks to krististeph: tigger = TG'er .. T-I-GG-er

Silver Member
    Wonderfully explained, Laura. Thank you, Doc.

Aspiring Member
    Thank you Laura for detailed explanation!