Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is the dress becoming a thing of the past?

Stand-up Comedian En Fem❤ Alice_2014_B's Avatar
    As many have already stated, times have changed.
    I really enjoy dressing up in male-mode, tie and all.

When en-fem (at home or out and about, including doing stand-up) it is only skirts and dresses for me.
    In no way do I feel feminine in pants/trousers or shorts.

I really cannot find fault (not saying anyone here does) with women dressing up in pants, you know, to change it up.

Melissa: "... and why are you dressed as a woman?"
    Coach McGuirk: "Because it's freeing."

-Home Movies
    (cartoon series)

Shoe size: 9 US women's.
    Dress size: M to L; 8-10.
    Height: 5' 6".

I have not seen a GG in a dress for ages.

Banned Read only
    "Upstate" NY USA.... Site of the first crash of the "Vin Fiz"
    FWIW.... When is out in public as a female, I always wear a dress (or a skirt) I and usually get approving glances and smiles from older males who love a female in a dress .

BTW, it's often said that males dress for female's approval but females dress for other female's approval .

IMO, the lack of feminine dressing among females is just per pressure to suppress femininity .
    This stems from the "feminist " movement of decades past when it was said that a female could do anything a male could do. To help prove this, they even started to dress more like a male.
    Of course, they no longer have anything to prove but, sadly they largely lost their femininity in the process.

The good news is, I now see a gradual return to feminine dress in the media.
    Last edited by Barbara Jo; 03-30-2019 at 12:09 PM.

Interesting, last night my wife was commenting on the girls/women who present the weather on our television channels, and in particular how they always appear in a dress. Most very beautiful young ladies.

Banned Read only
    BTW, it anyone follows "American Idol, judge Katy Perry is quite unashamedly feminine in both her dress and personalty .
    She also appears to be rather intelligent..... and not afraid to reveal her shortcomings.

Perhaps females like Katy will give some gals the green light to express their femininity.
    Last edited by Barbara Jo; 03-30-2019 at 02:10 PM.

Albuquerque, NM (SE of there in mountain foothills)
    Indeed, weather ladies usually wear dresses. One cable network news channel has many ladies in several of their programs, almost always wearing pretty dresses.

Katy Perry is one of the top artists on Youtube. The makeup budget must be enormous!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjwZAa2EjKA
    Unconditionally Half a billion views!

Hi

Last summer there was a similar thread. Being a nerd, I decided to actually see ... I work at a large tech company (lots of nerds, M & F), in the city, and take the bus/subway to work and back, so I get plenty of opportunity to see what women wear primarily to work; especially in the nicer weather when no one wears big bulky coats. From what I recall, a fair percent of women wore dresses or skirts (I don't recall the number). At work, the dresses/skirts seemed to be bi-modal -- women in the business side of things tended to wear traditional professional styles while the nerds tended to wear more casual styles (this was both when wearing dresses/skirts and not). On the bus & subway, there was a higher portion of professional styles.

Skirts and dresses almost disappear in the cold weather ... which means any day now I'll start seeing them again.

Which is a long way to say ... maybe I'll start counting again and seeing what the numbers tell us!

Fran

Banned Read only
    Katy Perry is one of the top artists on Youtube. The makeup budget must be enormous!
    IMO, Katy has a real natural beauty who needs no make up tricks. She just likes make up and most everything feminine.

BTW, I usually love/ prefer long, raven haired females and dislike short hair .
    However I love Katy's newer look with her short blonde hair.
    Last edited by Barbara Jo; 04-02-2019 at 02:41 PM.

Think about 2000 years ago. Everyone wore loose fitting dresses. A dress-like garment suited the situation when nature called.
    Fabrics and sewing were primitive at best. Zippers would not be invented for about 1900 more years.
    Men could wear pants --because when nature called it was easy.

I find that my style is highly influenced by the women I see around me on a daily basis. That means I feel like I need to wear lots of leggings and tank tops. But I still love to throw on a cute dress and some thigh highs. As far as my SO goes she doesn't dress up as much as when we first started our relationship but when she does....WOWZA! I love both the feel of some form fitting leggings and the feel of a fit and flare dress...I guess it's nice to have options? :-)

I love dresses and skirts, the way a nice well made dress feels is wonderful, especially if the favric is of high quality. Unfortunately good dresses are usually more expensive.
    Up to now I have about 40 dresses and almost 30 skirts to chose from.

I hope not, because to me a dress brings out a persons beauty, slacks, jeans, shorts ... not so much.
    A lot of the women where I work still do but there are still plenty or slacks or ... yoga pants (shudder) to be found as well.
    IMO, yoga pants should be banned ... no one wants to see every bump, ripple or anatomical feature that you have at work.

I would love to get a few dresses and skirts. To me, they embody the feminine look. That said, there's nothing wrong with pants or shorts or capris. High on my list of things to get, though, are a couple of nice dresses. I'd love to show off my legs!

Lots of women on the emerald coast wear dresses. they are cooler than shorts or pants.

I worry about this too, but at this weekends LGBT senior housing fundraiser there were lots of dresses- I was the only male in a dress, but I got lots of friendly compliments, and the lesbian femmes and transwomen and cis women were wearing dresses at a rate of maybe 20% . it was fun and a great relief to be in a setting where my wearing a dress was just fine with everyone!
    We are all beautiful...!

Since your message, I've been noticing TV programs and peeps about, and yes your right, all wear pants, dresses are in decline

It's a phase I've used before but nevertheless it remains true that if you want to know if something's popular, follow the money.

My So regularly gets catalogs through the post and they're all full of dresses. True less of them are casual everyday wear, ones more suited to a function or a night out but if they didn't sell they wouldn't be there.

Also if an event calls for men in jacket and tie then it's very likely ladies will wear dresses. Even if the dress code is smart casual, trousers and shirts/jackets then again the ladies follow suit. Also I still feel for a lot of women there's a desire to dress up once in a while. Looking good makes them feel good. As for the younger girls, I challenge you to find one that goes to the prom in anything other than a dress or gown.
    Who dares wears Get in, get out without being noticed

Hi

I counted women in skirts/dresses vs not today on my commute.
    I take a bus & subway, so I could do this ... no distracted driving!
    I only counted if I was sure of what they were wearing.
    I did not count women who were wearing pants because they were in a uniform of some kind or it seemed necessary for some reason (e.g. medical people in scrubs, the transit employees, and so on)

Anyway ... the numbers of the counting are 11 in skirts or dresses, 27 not.
    Call it 29%...
    And it’s cold & gray here right now ... on a nice warm sunny day, lots more skirts and dresses!

Fran-the-nerd

Fran, your nerd skills are slipping, 11 ÷ 27 = 40.74%. I am on my third math class in order to complete my degree. One more and done!

Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ambigendrous View Post
    You know what REALLY seems to be disappearing? Those floor-length nightgowns, made of nylon/tricot with spaghetti straps and low-cur back! Try finding ANYTHING other than cotton shortie nightgowns with cap sleeves in any store...
    Amen to that. I've held onto my floor length nightgowns. Every night I fall asleep in a floor length white nightgown that has spaghetti straps. The other floor length are a vivid red Vanity Fair nightgown with thin straps, not spaghetti. I have a similar floor length in an eggplant. Also a pink knee length peignoir gown ensemble. My wife told me I could have her knee length white peignoir when she was getting rid of it not too long ago. The only place I know to get nightgowns of yesterday is ebay.

Hi Kimberly

The numbers were 11 in skirts or dresses and 27 not in skirts/dresses
    So there were 38 women, of whom 11 were in skirts or dresses
    11/38 is 0.289, or just a hair shy of 29%
    Yes?
    :-)

Fran-the-nerd

I don't think that dresses are going away anytime soon. It's true that women wear them less than they did in the '50's, but a lot of women still wear them all the time or on occasion. They're readily available in stores and online. Or so I've heard

JS, I understand completely. In my new town where i moved, it can be weeks or months without seeing a dress or skirt, unless it is the Amish or Mennonite women and girls!! i have never had any chance for marriage, or an SO, so I also do what you do, by wearing the dresses and hose and heels i am starved for! I would like a time machine, and go back in time to the 1920s or 30's, and ask people what they would think of n America, where women almost never, or never owned or wore dresses or skirts, but instead wore just pants, jeans, sneakers, and most had very short hair. LOL HAHAHA! I think they would have said, "Never!" If people from back then, could take the time machine to our time, and see, they would be shocked and stupified!!! They would say we all need help! LOL But very sad, too, a some of us are. I have heard that in Eastern Europe, and in South America, and some Asian countries, women still prefer dresses and . I wish i had the big money to be able to visit another country. I imagine in the USA warmer southern states, more GG's wear dresses than in the older states. It is very rare to see them in small town midwest, and i think if most guys were honest about it, they would admit that they are starved for seeing GGs in them. Starved for it here. I have to do the dress wearing!!
    Last edited by Alice Torn; 04-12-2019 at 03:26 PM.

I stand corrected Nerd skills are safe!