Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is the dress becoming a thing of the past?

Is the dress becoming a thing of the past?

I went to a dance tonight and all of the 28 women from 20 to 60 were wearing pants, not a dress in sight.
    All in jeans and little or no makeup.

I guess times are changing. As a man I hate dressing up, it's to time consuming if I was a women maybe I would think the same.
    Half the women there were slim and trim and I thought they would be knockouts in a nice dress.

I wonder if a psychologist would would think that the reason I dress because I can't have a woman in a nice dress but, I can a sexy women when it's me!
    Even my wife won't dress for me! I miss the days when my wife wore dresses!

Can yo relate?
    "This is ME" I am not CRAZY, I'm just a GUY who likes dresses!
    Since allot of men dress up in woman's clothing that makes it a manly thing to do!
    Much more fun than fishing.
    I do construction like house building and I love CD-ing, what's the difference?

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    I think that could be why you like dresses so much because your wife won't wear one.
    My second ex wore nothing but sweat pants and tops 90% of the time never a dress and rarely jeans.
    I don't think it really ever bothered me I didn't like her much anyway at that point.

I notice the change to convenient dressing as opposed to taking time to dress up.

In a speedier society where time is the essence more people do dress down for an outing.

Less time is put into preparation these days.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

I'm with you Judy, I'm surprised at the number of girls that show up to a dress up event in pants! I can wear pants anytime. Fortunately the wife and I both like dresses for the events its the only time we get to dress up is when we leave our little sweatpants hick town.

You are right on Judy. My wife has some nice dresses in her wardrobes but she would rather wear a top and black pants or jeans. She hates heels and wears mostly flip flops ( they do have sparkles on the flops ) usually her "T Shirts have something printed on them" but now she won't go out of the house with out her makeup n hair fixed up though. She wears war ups to bed and that drives me to dressing. I mean somebody in my house has to be the woman. Lol

If ladies want to wear pants and a nice top, then that is fine, but for me, in guy mode, I like to make an effort, and while that might just also mean a nice pair of pants and a nice shirt, that is more than many guys wear these days, when a shirt with a collar seems almost too much effort.

Aspiring Member
    I hope dresses are not on the way out. I am just about to buy my 1000th dress (not counting the ones I have disposed of over the years). Here in Scotland you still see women in dresses a lot especially in summer. Long may it last.

My wife still prefers dresses and skirts to pants. She always complains if she has to wear pants that they're uncomfortable.

Banned Read only
    Judy,
    It's great to say it hasn't reached that situation in the UK yet , a night out to most girls means a lovely dress ans usaully heels .

I did post a tongue in cheek thread sometime ago suggesting anyone walking down the street wearing a dress or skirt must be a CDer .

To add a funny story which I aplogise for telling before but when I went to donate blood there was about twenty people in the waiting room and about 50-50 men and women , I was the only one wearing a skirt , to add to the amusement the screening nurse called my full male name out , it did raise a few eyebrows .

My wife did make a serious accusation that after coming out to her over twenty years ago I put her off wearing a dress . Partly because she knew I might have worn some of them and partly because she felt I was taking her place . She possibly had a point but men don't have that problem or the choice , what we do if we caught our wives/partners wearing our clothes ? If I used the same arguments would that mean I could go off and wear a dress ?

Judy , again I'm going to say it's a shame you can't find a social group you could get these feelings in balance , it really is lovely to slip into a dress and heels and meet others in a safe and friendly environment . I also feel it might help your wife see it slightly differently . OK I admit it still wasn't enough for me but that does come at a price .

Just to add a footnote I always thought my wife looked better in a dress , trousers just don't flatter some women .
    Last edited by Teresa; 03-16-2019 at 06:56 AM.

Come down to Nashville for a night out, and I promise you’ll see plenty of people out wearing dresses, heels, and all the makeup. Maybe it depends on where you go, but I definitely see more people out dressed up.

I think for us, the dress is more that just clothes. It's a very powerful statement that just "means" female. Boys are taught for their whole lives "Boys don't wear dresses"! From the time kids start drawing stick figures, the difference between the boy and the girl is the dress. And don't forget restroom symbols. So, I think that's part of the attraction. It's as far away from male as you can get.

I agree that women are wearing dresses less frequently all the time. I wear dresses way less frequently. My typical day out is shopping and restaurants, maybe the nail salon (if I don't get my nails done in drab beforehand). I'd likely be the only one in a dress at any of those places.

Judy, I've never seen you in anything other than dresses, and you're one of those women that was just born to wear dresses. I've probably seen you in over a hundred dresses, and you look great in all of them. The few dresses I have anymore I probably tried on 100 to find 1 that looked good. I don't think you'd ever look out of place in a dress, but I do.

Platinum Member
    Hi Judy , I guess that it is just the changing times. >Orchid ..OO..
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

I hate to say it, but over the last 10 years I find myself falling into the category of wearing fewer and fewer dresses.
    For me it's mostly because I don't feel the venue or activity warrant a dress. So much of the time I'm going shopping, cleaning the house, seeing a movie, out to dinner (casual restaurant) and such that a dress just feels a bit out of place. It's not that I don't love them anymore. In fact I just bought 2 for the summer (still casual, not dressy). Things have just gotten more casual and much of the time dresses are just too "dressy". Even my skirts don't see a lot of use anymore, mostly because of where we are now living.
    Were we going out to a more upscale event then certainly I'd be in a dress, but otherwise, I'm sad to admit, they are just not appropriate.

Gone are the days of June Cleaver and women in dresses all the time. The Women's Movement has had much to do with the demise of the dress.
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

Platinum Member
    Oh, I can totally relate. It's the sign of the times. Decades ago there was a stated dress code at many places of employment which required dresses or skirts for women. When I started working in a professional office with encounters with professional men and women; CPA's, attorneys and businessmen and women, the women were required to wear dresses or skirts. The men were required to wear business attire; suit or sport coat with shirt and tie. Over the decades the dress code relaxed. Relaxed too much. In my final years after thirty years there ALL the women were in jeans. Some even on occasion wore sweat pants. This was not professional at all. I thought it reflected poorly on the agency I worked for. I had to chuckle on occasion because I still wore business attire, and, I was addressed as the manager because of the attire. I, in business attire, and, my manager wearing capri pants and sandals. She looked like she was off to the beach.

Socially, I rarely see women wearing a dress. The only time my wife wears a dress is when a heat wave sets in. Then, it's a sundress. I love heat waves!!! Otherwise, she wears pants or shorts. I can still get her to wear a dress by pulling out the business attire. Then she becomes self conscious because her husband looks really nice. She asks whether she should wear a dress. Sure or just be comfortable. Those times are usually when going to a funeral.

Why do I wear dresses? No pants. I'm stuck back in the 1950's and 1960's when women dress up. Jeans and pants are masculine articles of clothing which have been co-opted by women. I see lots of drop dead gorgeous women wearing jeans and tops, but, that's not me.

If we didn't buy dresses, they would probably stop making them! I see women wearing dresses sometimes in certain places. Not many wear slacks at semi-formal wedding receptions. And I see a few in downtown areas wearing a dress or skirt.

I remember 40-50 years ago going downtown at 5pm when everyone got out of work. The streets would be flooded with women wearing skirts and dresses. Times have changed.
    "You're the only one to see the changes you take yourself through", Stevie Wonder

Depends a lot on the venue. I go dancing a lot. Pretty much anyplace I can find that has dancing. Queer bars and clubs, Elks Lodge dances, bars and restaurants in mainstream venues, Goth bars... A really wide cross section of society. Going all-out with dressing up is mostly for special holidays, charity or ‘high society’ events, and the like. But I would say a good third of the women out dancing at nightclubs in Texas or in Oregon still wear dresses, or at least nice blouse/skirt outfits.

Judy, my favorite watering hole has older regulars but a lot of young people who come in on the weekends. A lot of the women (21-30) wear dresses. Of course how cold was it in central Mass? That may explain the pants.
    Please call me Jamie, I always_have crossdressed, I always will, "alwayshave".

Aspiring Member
    I can relate Judy - My wife does not dress for me. Only when we go to "formal" events does she get dressed up. If I could, I would be in dresses all the time. I love all the fabrics, styles, etc. I do feel the sexy woman coming out when I see myself in the mirror in a dress. I envy all the women at company christmas parties, weddings, proms..getting to dress to the nines and spend a wonderful evening...I often look at their dresses and envision what I would look like in them. Or I go and find their dress online. One of my co-workers wore this to the company christmas party - I just loved it. 17043929.jpg

Silver Member
    I think the comment about dressing for convenience is an accurate one. Here in Vancouver BC we are just emerging from our winter, which to most Canadians isn't a winter at all. So dresses have been in hiding for several months now.

But today, at Costco, I saw three women in dresses, short ones too. I know that doesn't represent a large proportion of women over all, but Costco is a prime place for convenience dressing. So the skirts will be coming out soon, if it's only just mine. I can't wait for my next leg waxing.

My fife wears them.
    Angie

[SIZE=1]- - - Updated - - -[/SIZE]

My wife wears them. 20 years ago the woman where I worked all wore dresses when I retired 2 years ago none of they did.
    Angie

To a degree I do think dresses are now for more evening wear with skirts and tops for the daytime as well as jeans and leggings, I also think that there is a distinct air of more casualness with dress style, certainly something special like a dress does to me seem to be for more formal occasions.
    But yes you cannot get away from how attractive a well fitting dress can look and make one feel good at the same time.
    I started life a lost man now I am a found woman

California Dreamin Michaelasfun's Avatar
    Well, maybe in a practical sense as it’s easier. I do think someone looks more elegant and classy wearing a dress vs jeans.
    Michaela

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice. - Rush

Silver Member
    Well I don't wear dresses anymore. But at my age the women don't wear them either. I do have several. My wife does wear them on occasion.

Times have changed Judy and its something that I remember too. Where are all the girly girls? Oh they are us now! (but thats ok)

Senior Member Read only Allison Chaynes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by foxy bartender View Post
    Come down to Nashville for a night out, and I promise you’ll see plenty of people out wearing dresses, heels, and all the makeup. Maybe it depends on where you go, but I definitely see more people out dressed up.
    I will be there next weekend- any recommendations?
    Life is too short to be boring.