Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Is the dress becoming a thing of the past?

I would say yes unless you are a part of a Hollywood premier a drag queen or a Cd or a girl on a very hot summer day that’s just my opinion. Athleisure is the rage now

warm, w a bit of wind today, and park was packed. didnt notice any dress or skirt wearers.

hello Judy,
    I wear dresses more often than my wife.
    luv J

Platinum Member
    I am surprised GG's have not jumped into this thread. I think some would admonish some of the comments that equate wearing dresses or any particular garment equaling femininity. My wife was in a hospital for three nights this past week. All the staff wore hospital issued blue scrubs; the men and women. There were plenty of very feminine women on staff; RN's and CNA's. Perhaps my definition of femininity is different than others. Femininity is a manner in which a woman carries her self, and, basically makes her desirable to men. I cannot attest to same sex attractions. I limit my comment to the attraction of males to a female. Over the decades I have encountered many attractive and presumably exuding femininity until she opened her mouth and spoke. Then any indication of femininity disappeared.

I have related many times on this forum a visual encounter with a female cement truck driver. She wore steel toed boots, jeans, flannel shirt, reflective vest, and hard hat. The manner in which she smiled and carried herself exuded femininity; an air of desirability.

The point I am making is a woman can exude femininity wearing anything or nothing. And, a woman can dress in what any of us thing is feminine garb, yet lack femininity.

In my humble opinion, Women at my office tend to dress in slacks and blouse. Some wear dresses, or skirts. The younger generation are hit and miss. The older ones don't seem to want to go thru the effort.

So, as a crossdresser, I perfer the dresses to slacks, jeans, etc. It is more feminine for dresses and skirts. besides, I get to see my stocking encased legs, and I do like my legs

from Stephanie 47
    I am surprised GG's have not jumped into this thread. I think some would admonish some of the comments that equate wearing dresses or any particular garment equaling femininity.
    OK, I'll chime in.

Women typically dress for the occasion. If it's a wedding, nice restaurant, play, symphony, or other dressy occasion, my choice would be to wear a dress. To go to the grocery store, shop the mall, or walk outside, I will typically wear shorts or jeans. When I was working, I would dress in nice slacks for the winter, and sometimes dresses in the summer (however, the air conditioning was freezing). I don't dress up to sit at home. I don't wear a dress for no reason. I don't dress for other people, only for myself.

The winters where I live are long, cold, and snowy. I am bundled up for months at a time. The summers are beautiful and sun dresses are fun when the temperature is over 80 degrees. I guess you could say that I am confident in my femininity and don't need to prove it by wearing a dress.

Whether dresses are disappearing or not doesn't really worry me. What others wear is up to them as long as the dress remains as an available option to me. However, if we're telling each other to dress-to-blend, then we can't complain.

- Lydianne.

I dress for myself! fashionisto's Avatar
    In my experience it varies from occasion to occasion. I see dresses when people go out in town and in warm weather. Older women seem to wear dresses more often. I remember being at a breakfast after a dance party where there were a lot of dresses. At breakfast, there was only one woman out of 50 wearing a dress. I so happened to wear a dress too. So I went up to and said, hey dress wearer! Didn't you know dresses are for men?! We had a nice conversation after that

Quote Originally Posted by jacques View Post
    hello Judy,
    I wear dresses more often than my wife.
    luv J
    Me too! Wife hates dresses.

I need to chime in here too. I travel a lot and I am sick to death of seeing women at airports in yoga pants or leggings and a top.
    It's like a uniform already, and they all really don't look so good in them. Now I will say in Europe the tendency is to see
    way more dresses on women which make them look lovely. Even in the winter riding a bicycle to work or business you will see
    the women wear a pretty skirt with some nicely matching tights. They look great! Sorry, just my two cents, - Annie

I totally relate, Judy! I'm laughing because I'm wearing a dress right now while working at home. I did notice quite a few girls and some ladies at church this past Sunday were wearing some nice skirts. I always notice how a woman is dressed!
    Veronica

Love who you are! You are uniquely you!!