Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pondering why men can't wear dresses?

Pondering why men can't wear dresses?

Came across this wonderful article by a woman who pondered it too- a very clear and friendly discussion of the reasons why it is 'never done', but why that shouldn't be true. Enjoy the warmth! It gives us more ways to acknowledge what our spouses and negative friends are feeling, and why it is so hard for them to even let it just be- why it is threatening.

https://www.racked.com/2018/4/23/172...ng-men-dresses

The article ends with her citing a few men taking public positions on it, and that contrarian 'this is what I believe' stance is how I go about this now.

It feels good to read, but she doesn't talk about the subliminal sexual connotations of clothing, which are also a big part of why people just can't deal with it. There is no current category for the sexuality of people who are hetero but want to wear the clothes that reflect the sexuality of the other sex.
    Last edited by phili; 03-21-2019 at 10:18 PM.
    We are all beautiful...!

Ive read that somewhere before. Still a great article.

I'm still amazed at how the cut and shape of a garment can draw so many lines in the sand and more over how it can change how I view my self. I to am baffled as to why people have such a problem with one expressing them self differently. But I think that the tribalism is still alive and well. Everybody can be different as long as their just like us. I fear it will be a long time before that is out grown!

Hell-o Philli,
    The article starts off on a slightly rough note stating something like most girls wish they were boys, and want to look, act, and dress like one. And, that girls appreciate being told they have a boyish figure thing? Hogwash!
    Otherwise, I liked what I was reading.
    I think, in most cases, it’s our own rediculous fear of nothing more than ridicule itself that keeps the majority of us hiding.
    Much Love,
    Kristyn
    Last edited by Hell on Heels; 03-22-2019 at 03:11 AM.
    I smile because you are my friend, and
    I laugh because there is nothing you can do about it!!!

Banned Read only
    Phili,
    Are we back to cavemen ? It still comes down to the stereotype of what is expected of boys/ men . I call it a male straightjacket .

It's so hard to avoid the question of sexual connotations when talking about a male wearing a skirt or dress , how often do we openly read on the forum and elsewhere where boys have been caught by their sisters , mothers or whatever mastubating in female clothes . A woman depicted wearing a male shirt has never had to live with that stigma . It is a weakness that's hard to avoid because many admit to it being sexual .

I do feel it's a distinction the public make , a crossdessers is very much in the closet and possibly dresses for his own pleasure , someone who is out presenting as a woman in public is TG , the sexual element has been dropped because they may wish to eventually transition . I won't make the statement but instead ask the question , if a man wears a short skirt and high heels in the street without any makeup or a wig is it because he wants to represent as a woman or is he making a sexual statement ?

I know I'm not making a sexual statement and I hope I haven't offended anyone in public if I've even suggested it by the way I'm dressed . I know for certain my daughter and sister in law wouldn't be seen with me in public if they felt uncomfortable in any way .

To answer the question men can wear dresses as long as they don't look like men for the majority of the public , otherwise you enter unknown territory .
    Last edited by Teresa; 03-22-2019 at 07:51 AM.

Men can wear dresses, there is no law that says you have to adhere to a strict dress code.

The only thing I think is awkward....."Go naked in the world. "

We haven't got there yet.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Banned Read only
    I think over all the reason boys who want to be girls are looked at so harshly and girls who want to be boys are not, is due to the fact that women are still basically "second class citizens" in today's society.

For a boy to want to be "something less" is cause for concern, but a girl being a tom-boy is encouraged because she is trying to be "something better".
    Last edited by Robertacd; 03-22-2019 at 01:50 PM.

Robertacd:
    You said:
    I think over all the reason boys who want to be girls are looked at so harshly and girls who want to be boys are not, is due to the fact that women are still basically "second class citizens" in today's society.

For a boy to want to be "something less" is cause for concern, but a girl being a tom-boy is encouraged because she is trying to be "something better"
    I don't know what your age is but I certainly hope that you are not serious with this antiquated statement! And who are the "people" who you believe are judging women as "second class citizens" in today's society? Most of my women friends have had great, well paying jobs, many make more money and have better benefits than their SO's. My daughter is a well paid mechanical engineer.

So, when you dress as a woman, are you trying or want to be a "second class citizen"? Or are you trying to be "something better"?

Men can and do wear dresses, just look at all of the members on this website.
    Last edited by char GG; 03-22-2019 at 04:20 PM.

Banned Read only
    If you really think women have achieved equality, I have a bridge to sell you.

Your daughter may be well paid, but I also work in the Engineering field. Women engineers are systematically paid less than male engineers of the same qualifications and experience. Male engineers are given project lead positions over women engineers who are more organized and probably better qualified to lead

Consider all the laws governing what a woman can or can't do with her own body.

Victim shaming in rape cases, it's never the rapist's fault

Dress codes that are in place so the girls don't distract the boys.

While some advancements have been made in the past few decades. I could go on and on about the way women are treated as second class in today's society
    Last edited by Robertacd; 03-22-2019 at 05:17 PM.

Resident Polymath MarinaTwelve200's Avatar
    of course a Man can wear a Dress. Don't all of us here do it? He just cannot do it and not attract "undue attention" in public. But that is 'human Nature". "The unusual" naturally attracts attention. So we should ask Why can't men wear dresses without attracting undue attention?------I think I just answered that. Of course a man can wear a dress, he just can't wear it without attracting attention. Here is an excellent example of how the use of PARTIAL PHRASES affect our THINKING. Use them casually and often enough, and our MIND begins to take them Literally----So there is the question "Why cant a man wear a dress?" which is a partial phrase taken literally. When we should say "why cant a man wear a dress without attracting attention?" ---THEN we can think about it clearly.

Platinum Member
    If it isn't against the law then it's ok to wear a dress. >Orchid ..OO..
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

It's based on societal norms.
    It some countries, it is acceptable for a man to wear a kilt.
    In certain situations, it is accepted for men to wear kilts, in countries where it is not the "norm".
    But, a kilt is nothing more that a skirt, dressed up in ceremonial/cultural baggage.

Why is it acceptable for a man to wear a kilt/skirt, but not just a skirt?
    Before you can love another, you must first like yourself

I Aim To Misbehave

Labels belong on BOXES, not PEOPLE!

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar

Unhappy Philli, most of this is BS!

The reason men don't try on woman's things isn't because they r afraid, it's because they NEVER THINK ABOUT IT!
    I know. I was a regular guy for 50 years!

The article writer said she wondered why guys were afraid to throw on her clothes when they had none handy? Nonsense!
    It wasn't fear, it was bravado. After I had just slept with a woman I was quite comfortable walking around in my skivvies!
    Last edited by docrobbysherry; 03-23-2019 at 12:33 PM.
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Not buying it. They are wrong.

First women do not want to be men. The exception is FTM, and these individuals don’t have it easy. Don’t believe me then talk to them, I have.

It doesn’t matter if you like it or not, there is a sexual component to wearing clothes. You can’t just overlook the fact. You could be wearing a potato sack and some guy out there is going to think it’s sexy.

The public is not informed at all about this stuff. To try and make assumptions is just a waste of time.

To find how people feel you need to sit down and talk to them. Not to just ask a bunch of questions. That will only get you part of the picture, you need to understand the person, know why they think the way they do. This takes time and is very personal. I have done this many times on my quest to find information.

Men wearing dresses will never be accepted as normal. What I’m saying is that you may live your life in a dress and be just fine, just I don’t think your guy friends are going to join you.

I let people think I’m gay and transitioning, I have found that it is easier for them to understand. I’m BI but just date men and I’ve had a boyfriend for years now. I have managed to change a couple of minds, then I’ve also gotten the reaction that goes something like this,” I’m ok with you but I don’t know about anyone else? “

You want the world to be different, then go out and change it, could be as easy as just being yourself, it works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jean 103 View Post
    >>SNIP<<
    Men wearing dresses will never be accepted as normal. What I’m saying is that you may live your life in a dress and be just fine, just I don’t think your guy friends are going to join you.

>>SNIP<<

You want the world to be different, then go out and change it, could be as easy as just being yourself, it works for me.

Costumes and customs change with the times. Once upon a time, skirts were manly ( see roman Legionnaires and Celtic Warriors and Egyptian Pharoahs), in the 18th century, high heels were worn by men. Wigs for men and women were extremely fashionable for both men and women in the 17th, 18th centuries. In the 1980's, tight pants & men's bikini underwear were in vogue. (I loved my Sasson girl jeans!)

Who knows how fashion trends will turn in the next decade, or ten?

And I agree 100% with your last statement!
    Before you can love another, you must first like yourself

I Aim To Misbehave

Labels belong on BOXES, not PEOPLE!

Of course men CAN wear dresses, as I do, but the OP suggestion was just to enjoy a woman's musings on the reason most don't. I thought her thoughts were warmly presented and she would be an ally to any of us.

There are lots of angles and lenses through which we are seen- and hers was a nice list of some encouraging, some objective like how clothing affects our posture or the way our body parts are presented, and some reflecting her own personal history, just like our own views do.

She touched the tips of many icebergs - each of which plays a part in forming social opinions about crossdressing. I felt it gave me a little more compassion for all those who are put off by my dressing- even if they are polite.
    We are all beautiful...!

Jody Lynn

You can always wish.

But men are men and women are women, most like it that way.

You can make a difference, you can change the world. I have in my own little world.

Still I am in this minority, so at the bar I'm the only TG person there.

Oh here's something, so the guys at the end of the bar aren't about to put on a dress, but they tell me I'm brave to wear one. Others have said same, I don't see it that way, I'm just being me.

It's really hard to say what the future holds . Fifty years
    ago men didn't wear shorts or croped pants to work or office,
    no long hair or earrings
    The next generation
    may see skirts as normal men's wear .

JAS

If read and enjoyed this article previously. I even took some strength and some compliments from it.
    It supports my belief in gender as performance. Hell, biological sex is fraught enough (Stop talking about testosterone – there’s no such thing as a ‘true sex’

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...y_to_clipboard)
    But gender as performed rules *should* be more easily understood and transcended. Instead we find that our self - policing and social disaprobation are, in many ways, stronger than biological determinism. By the criteria laid out in the article above we're all clearly non - binary but to try to present as 'other' as we face consequences.
    I share your contrarian stance, Phili. The received wisdom that 'so and so many can't possibly be wrong' is a illogical nonsense. The world would be a brighter, happier place if we could only transcend these anachronistic boundaries.
    For now, I guess we'll have to settle for a little defiant transgression.
    Fine by me. Transgression is my middle name. 😀

Banned Read only
    Char,
    I was going to leave Roberta's comments alone but I have to say I agree with you . My son is civil engineer and his team includes females all treated as equal in every respect including salary . His boss at one time was a female Dr. of engineering , I don't think they have to wear male clothes to compete on equal terms .

Marina,
    I have to be totally honest but I do not attract excessive attention and I'm out everyday . I have to admit I did have a male shopper in the supermarket a couple of days ago appear to be following me and trying to catch a smile , the only difference from normal was I was wearing a skirt and my black leather boots instead of female jeans or trousers . As I was the only one wearing a skirt I feel it was more of a case of being attracted to someone looking more female not because I looked like a MIAD .

One point about some of the replies is they are made from people not totally out in the RW , so the comments are made more from expected reactions rather than true experiences . OK I've only been out in the RW full time for just over a year so I can recall what my fears and expectations were , I still recall Pat's words , " Don't overthink it !" how right she was . I learned quickly that if you don't look for a reaction you won't get one , stop looking over your shoulder . Yes it is quite possible for a man to wear a dress but he also needs common sense if he wants to pull it off .
    Last edited by Teresa; 03-23-2019 at 07:46 AM.

But men can and do wear skirts in some cultures without it being looked down upon. Kilts in Scotland. Sarongs in Malaysia.

During the 1980s, the French designer Jean-Paul Gaultier introduced the male skirt. I wonder if it didn't catch on in western culture because there are more cold than warm months in Northern Europe and northern North America? It's not a style that can be worn year round comfortably. Gaultier's models do not look the least bit feminine in my eyes.

Like it or not, pants are decidedly more practical and easier to move around in than dresses and skirts. This is why a majority of women have adopted them. It makes sense that pants and slacks have become the more universal, gender-neutral style of dress than dresses and skirts.

EDIT -

I've just skimmed over the article. I strongly disagree with this statement:

Quote Originally Posted by Quote from Article
    “Isn’t it queer that for a boy to want to be a girl, and look like a girl, and dress like a girl is so unusual that it fills his parents with fear that he is abnormal, whereas virtually every girl in the world wishes she were a boy and the majority of them try to look like boys, and act like boys, and dress like boys?"
    If I ask 100% of my female acquaintances, young and old, whether they'd rather be male than female, I guarantee you that the vast majority would say a resounding NO!

But I do agree with another point in the article that states that many (remember - not all) men are homophobic and so they despise effeminate men. I don't know why this is but I have witnessed it among my own boys when they were teenagers. NO ONE wanted to be perceived as being sissy, as if it diminished them somehow. I took it as a form of ritual establishment of the male pecking order, that does diminish as most males mature and become confident in who they are. None of my boys are homophobic now, in fact they have gay friends. But when they were young they would have "died" before sharing an umbrella with another guy. lol. In any case men who carry this attitude into adulthood are proving the existence of misogyny. Thankfully, misogyny is not as widely spread as it was say during the 1950s, when most wives were still totally dependent on their husbands for their financial needs. Men held total power and control then, which is decidedly not the case today, even though we still have our fair share of misogynist men.

The gender gap has narrowed considerably in the last generation or so and in my view it will continue to narrow, if we can keep gender out of partisan politics.

Last point: it makes sense that men who don't normally expose their legs, shoulders and chest (except at the beach) would feel more vulnerable if they wore skirts and décolletage at home. And I'm sure that many members here find pleasure at feeling this vulnerability. But, this is just a question of getting used to a particular style of clothing. I doubt that Scots and Malays feel vulnerable when they wear their respective kilts and sarongs. As a woman, I certainly don't feel any more "vulnerable" when I wear a skirt or dress at a wedding or at work than when I'm dressed in an old shirt and jeans painting the ceiling in my back room.
    Last edited by ReineD; 03-23-2019 at 03:53 PM.
    Reine

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    Interesting point, Reine. Vulnerability. That may help explain the fetish, "sissy dressers", I see on line and that occasionally PM me there.
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

I've just noticed Robertacd's posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Robertacd View Post
    A big, resounding NO!

Take a survey of every woman you know and let me know how many feel they are second class citizens. Ask the men you know if they think that women are second class citizens. The ones who believe this are misogynist. They are also likely near or past retirement. lol. Young men don't feel that way, unless they have politicized gender.

Male engineers are given project lead positions over women engineers who are more organized and probably better qualified to lead
    You're conflating the time it takes for laws to catch up to the huge advancement women have made in recent years, with an unproven belief that most people think that women are second class citizens. No worries, salaries will eventually all catch up. They have in many fields, even if the field of engineering is still dominated by men. The gender wage gap has narrowed and it will continue to do so.

Ask any conservative male whether he believes his wife should be paid less than a man doing her exact same job and he will say no, even though he votes for congressmen who refuse to pass equal salary laws.

Consider all the laws governing what a woman can or can't do with her own body.
    Laws are slow to change for political reasons and not because most of us believe that women are second class. People pick a side and take a stance to show their allegiance to their political party's platform. Also, don't confuse religious anti-abortion beliefs with gender inequality. The people who believe that fetuses should not be killed would believe the same even if men were the ones to give birth instead of women.

Victim shaming in rape cases, it's never the rapist's fault
    Old news. This has improved considerably and will continue to do so. Also, don't confuse what happened during the last Supreme Court appointment hearing with victim shaming. The object there was to stack the court using any means available. You are aware that many men have been fired or have resigned due to charges of inappropriate sexual behavior?

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...lacements.html

Dress codes that are in place so the girls don't distract the boys.
    This has also changed and will continue to change. Schools that have dress codes for girls also have them for boys. And many schools have the same outfits for girls and boys now.

Did you know that the Boy Scouts of America now allows girls to join?
    Reine

Reine, that patriarchy is still alive, but not well! Slowly dying it is (thankfully). Now we're in a race to see if the womenfolk take over or the robots. I'm team women! Seize control before the robots do!

Please don't anyone take this comment too seriously, just early morning fun before my coffee kicks in

Banned Read only
    Reine,
    The only time I feel vulnerable it's not from people but more from the weather . When I find I've run out of something and need to nip to the supermarket and can't be bothered to change from a skirt to trousers , the cold wind certainly makes me regret it .

The question of girls wanting to be boys has come up more than once in more tongue in cheek conversations but most girls are very happy being girls , the underlying reasons may be more serious but I'm in total agreement with them I do enjoy my life far more .