Thread: OMG, I am officially non-binary!

Smile OMG, I am officially non-binary!

My driver's license is up for a renewal. (Information for people out of US, the driver's license here is the most commonly used government ID). I live in California, and for the renewal this year I will have to go to DMV to show some documents to get a "Real ID" which enables me to board airplanes with it. (Again, for the information, it is complicated about what ID is "real" or federal approved, but that is irrelevant to what I am talking about here).

I have planned to show up dressed for my ID picture. I have semi-done it before. When I was younger, I have had license once with that long hair and looked semi-feminine. Since then, my ID has always had obvious male pictures. Since I have been traveling enfemme quite a bit lately (even though I have not had a problem with my ID with a male picture), I think a more feminent ID picture would be nice.

So I went to DMV, got in the line, and was sent to a computer to fill out the information. Lo and behold, at the gender choice screen, I was presented with not two but three choices. Besides the normal M and F, there is a "Non-binary" option, with a remark that some forms are needed. I hesitated a bit and chose the normal M, because I am not sure what kind of form or letter is needed for that. It is not in my plan, so I usually take the safe path with that kind of issues. There is usually a long wait (more than a hour) between filling out the info and getting called to a window. So as I was sitting there, my curiosity got me. I needed to find out what this third option is and what paperwork is needed. So I started to Google and download the form from the website. It turns out that this is new in California since this year, and the form for gender choice is self-certifying. So basically you just need to make a signed affidavit statement that what you chose is your true gender. No doctor letter is needed!

That is great! That's exactly what I wanted. So when I finally got called to the window, I made the statement that I wanted to elect non-binary as my gender. The lady printed out a form for me to fill in (just name, address, my driver's license number, and my choice of gender) with some legal sounding statement. She took my paperwork to a supervisor to get the final approval. There we go. Within a few minutes, I am officially non-binary on my government ID!

OMG, I can't believe it. I was so excited and the lady behind the counter can definitely sense it. She shook my hand and wished me good luck when it is done. Within a few weeks, I will have my new Driver's License with a X mark on my gender. I have dreamed of for so many years! This is so unreal.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Leslie's Advanture into the Unknown - http://lesliesd.weebly.com/

That's very cool. I"m going to look into that on my next renewal.

But- I just finished booking some international travel so you may want to make sure your passport name exactly coordinates, or maybe they also have X as a option- and you don't want to be hung up getting in to the US or anywhere else because docs don't match!
    We are all beautiful...!

Congratulations Leslie!

Whooo hoo! Good for you! I was just reading up on RealID regulations. If your state has a RealID compliant license, and they offer an ‘x’ non-binary option, that is good by itself for domestic air travel, and for travel to and from Canada, Mexico, Bahamas, and I think the Caribbean, without a passport. Other international travel requires a passport. US passports do not yet offer a non-binary option, so for that you will need to choose male or female. But if you are traveling to places where the passport is needed, it is sufficient by itself, so it should not matter if your state driver license says X, and the passport says female (or male).

The RealID compliance situation is a US government mandate, for being allowed to use air travel even within the country, as well as for international border crossings. It will also soon be needed to get access to certain types of federal offices and properties. If you want to use a state-issued ID instead of a passport, they are required to have a chip on the card with an electronic version of your ID info, and when you get a RealID compliant card, you have to show documentation to prove your citizenship and residence status all over again, even if you have had a license all your adult life. US passports have a similar chip now. But it was an un-funded mandate, and a lot of states had no money to comply, or refused to or simply could not comply with any rapidity. In Oregon, for example, they need to do a massive database and computer infrastructure overhaul first. They won’t be issuing Real ID compliant Oregon ID’s until June 2020. They keep getting extensions for compliance in the mean time. But the current extension expires in October 2019, and if the Federal government does not grant a further extension, Oregonians with no passports could be grounded, and not allowed to fly!

I am in Oregon, and just got my first female driver license, in an non-RealID format. I plan to just get a passport (and the wallet sized passport card, which allows the same stuff as a RealID license does), right away (never needed a passport before), just in case. Then I will get the RealID license later, when my new license expires.
    Last edited by Ceera; 03-23-2019 at 12:26 PM.

The X Files Congratulations !
    As many as 43 percent of all people with gender dysphoria attempt suicide in their lives. dont let yourself become part of that very tragic statistic.
    Balance-Dignity-Acceptance-Responsibility-

Congrats Leslie. Another step forward.

Leslie, next time I renew my passport it will be marked other.

I will feel easier when this is done as I may then fly pretty.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

That's cool, ladies.

I have traveled in US en femme with my male ID, and have not had problem so far. I have also crossed boarder from Canada with my male passport, and that goes smoothly as well.

But having a female picture and a non-binary on my ID would make things a bit less nerve wracking in the process.

What I do worry a bit is that the whole process is so easy and simple. It may be abused by someone sometime. But I may be thinking too much. What do you think?
    Leslie's Advanture into the Unknown - http://lesliesd.weebly.com/

Leslie, That's great.
    Please call me Jamie, I always_have crossdressed, I always will, "alwayshave".

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    I was told we will ALL have to have these new govt. identifications to fly within the USA next year. Your drivers license won't be enuff.

So, either a passport or new ID will be necessary. An important thing to remember is most TSA agents will respect trans dressed fem with male ID. But, I wonder if u could present as male with a fem ID?
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Awesome!

If you are serious about your gender presentation to the world around you,then your pic should match your presentation.Real ID license has become essential to TSA.
    It SURE is my hair ! I have the receipt and the box it came in !

Quote Originally Posted by Rogina B View Post
    If you are serious about your gender presentation to the world around you,then your pic should match your presentation.Real ID license has become essential to TSA.
    Rogina, thanks for you comment. But isn't "non-binary" by definition do not confirm to either gender 100%?

[SIZE=1]- - - Updated - - -[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by docrobbysherry View Post
    An important thing to remember is most TSA agents will respect trans dressed fem with male ID. But, I wonder if u could present as male with a fem ID?
    Never had a problem with male ID and presenting female. I will try the other way around as you suggested when I get my new female dressed DL, even though I still have a few male ID I could use. It would be interesting to find out.

Platinum Member
    Hi Leslie, That's great, When I last renewed my license was wearing 1" hoop earrings that shows on my picture.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Orchid ..OO..
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

Leslie,

Firstly congratulations on being able to move your official id to better suit you.

One of the things I love about this site is it reveals the cultural differences from country to country. When we had paper licenses they were good until you reached 70 unless you moved address or changed your name, say got married. Photo licenses are renewed every 10 years and are ok to use as proof of id for internal UK flights.

As for the need to queue in line, nope, it can now be done online and that includes renewing your passport. That does require you to first send the old one back in the post, the new one coming back it 7-10 days.

The UK has always fought shy of id cards. I think it has echos of the second world war.

Hey, it's good we're different.
    Last edited by char GG; 03-25-2019 at 06:07 AM. Reason: Interesting, but may start a political discussion

Quote Originally Posted by LeslieSD View Post
    Rogina, thanks for you comment. But isn't "non-binary" by definition do not confirm to either gender 100%?

Leslie,I was led to believe that the "third choice" was to cover "all others"...by choice.

Ro, if you are full time transgender, then what you are saying is 100% correct. If you are gender non-binary or even non full time T, then your appearance may fluctuate over time , possibly presenting as full time male one day and full time female the next day. The person is still being their authentic self, is just that the authentic self may have very variants.

IMO, the prime benefit of the X marker for identification is to allow those in security roles to not be caught off guard when approached and vetting out someone for entry.

Yes ! But a fulltime person like myself would benefit from the third choice in that gender on license does not match appearance on license as well. Some states are harder than others on gender marker change.

Yes ! But a fulltime person like myself would benefit from the third choice in that gender on license does not match appearance on license as well. Some states are harder than others on gender marker change.
    Good for you going full time. May I ask why you would like to choose "non-binary" on your ID? Shouldn't "Female" be a more natural choice for you if you are going full time? Not only a F would match your presentation all the time, it would also draw far less attention, right?

I wish all states had a choice for the DL! Changing gender marker from M to F really varies in complications from state to state. A few years back,I looked into the change. The change can have some repercussions for some. I was told that my life insurance may not pay off if I was not the same person as the initial subscriber. Rates are base on statistics and males and females differ in exposure to health risks,etc.Hence I was told that it was within the insurer's right to not pay the face value of the policy and pay only what the accrued premiums and interest are worth as the default.So,in a state that adds complications to a gender marker change,one has to be aware.

You go girl. Congrats hun.
    Angie

Quote Originally Posted by docrobbysherry View Post
    An important thing to remember is most TSA agents will respect trans dressed fem with male ID. But, I wonder if u could present as male with a fem ID?
    A little over a year ago I renewed my license. New picture full makeup, I have long hair. So me just like my avatar.

I haven't seen anyone even give it a second look. That right I only represent male at work. It's not the company i work for, but places I have to show ID. I was expecting some kinda blow back but nothing.

That's the first good reason I've seen to go get the new ID.

It wasn't available when I renewed.

The change can have some repercussions for some. I was told that my life insurance may not pay off if I was not the same person as the initial subscriber. Rates are base on statistics and males and females differ in exposure to health risks,etc.Hence I was told that it was within the insurer's right to not pay the face value of the policy and pay only what the accrued premiums and interest are worth as the default.
    I was trying to think about the repercussions too. I could only came up with the male mode with female picture ID issue. And it shouldn't be a problem, because I have other male IDs. I haven't thought about the insurance issue. Maybe you should update that with your insurance?

Quote Originally Posted by LeslieSD View Post
    I was trying to think about the repercussions too. I could only came up with the male mode with female picture ID issue.
    It can be a very positive conversation starter! "Me ,on a better day" works well as you hand them your female DL....