Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Acceptance of long hair and about whatever else

Acceptance of long hair and about whatever else

Over the last several years it seems society is relaxing a lot on fashion, grooming, and hairstyling.

It wasn’t long ago where nearly all white collar type jobs and even a lot of blue collar jobs required men to shave or at the very least have a well groomed mustache or beard.

In the 90’s, goatees started to gain popularity, but people like my wife and I think most women still preferred a clean shave. I know there were exceptions, I’m just talking about what I think was the majority.

Well, beards are the rage and they are not only universally accepted, but women like my wife actually find them attractive now (though she prefers that they are trimmed and cared for).

Hair styles are much more liberal as well. When I go to the gym, half of the men that have hair, have longer hair and half of them have some sort of man-bun. Again, initially, these were frowned upon by a lot of women, but over time have been accepted.

This has been great news for me, because I have been able to go longer recently. I have even thought that there’s more of a “who cares” view and even a form meets function perspective to some extent (why shave, etc when it’s not necessary?). Again...good news for me and others wanting to grow their hair longer.

The only problem are the people who are shaving their heads below the bun, braid, or pony. I’m even seeing women do this. Attractive women with beautiful hair. To each their own, but i don’t care for it....I prefer grow it all or not at all. Because of this, I think this will be a fad, and man buns...longer hair may fall by the wayside.... hope I am wrong!

No need to share thoughts, but curious if anyone agrees.
    Last edited by DTelia; 02-04-2019 at 05:49 PM.

I'm lucky that my shoulder length hair dries very quickly. Nor do I have issues with tangling. But for some, it can take a long time to take care of that beautiful hair.
    Last edited by Maid_Marion; 02-04-2019 at 06:20 PM.

Banned Read only
    I have had long hair all my life. The last time I had short be hair was when my mom made me cut it for my highschool senior photo.

I had hair down to my butt when I was in my 30's. I am in my 50's now and still have sholders leangth hair.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Robertacd; 02-04-2019 at 05:53 PM.

I've had my hair long just about all of my life (except for a stint in the service, of course), wore a scruffy beard for the better part of three decades as well. Was never really a set back for me, although occasionally, when encountering a person who softly disapproved, they would tell me what time it is.

Hey, why keep your hair long? This is the 80's (or 90's, or the new millennium, whatever).

Long hair has gone in and out of fashion for thousands of years now, was never too bothered about what time it is

For transition I let my hair grow around 2 years ago.
    I didn't pay attention on those years how the tendency on people was but today I see tons of guys, mostly old guys, with long hair. Most of women who doesn't know I'm a trasgender compliment me. One day , the husband took the conversation towards long hair but wife complains about he uncared it but mine was well care. I said that I wasn't happy with the ending curls going out. She said, women care about that and are very picky but men can do whatever, I told her, I'm not a man, then she double look at me and said really? Yeah I'm a transwoman, I said, then she said, that's why your hair is so beautiful, then she add, good thing that you don't paint it, leave as it's, you're handsome, sorry, beautiful...I just laugh...
    Last edited by Devi SM; 02-04-2019 at 06:29 PM.
    HRT 042018; Full time 032019
    Orchiectomy 062020; gender& name legal changed 102020
    Electrolysis face begins 082019, in genitals for GCS 062021
    Breast augmentation surgery 012022
    GCS 072022; BBL 022023; GCS revision 04203;END TRANSITION

It takes a big step "not to care" about what others think...this is somewhat the point of my post. I was too young to really benefit from the 70's look...but I still think today is different. People in the 70's had longer hair, but shorter hair was still viewed as more appropriate, professional, etc.

I think that is changing a bit now, and hope it's more than just a fad.

I would like to see long hair come back.

It served me well in the seventies, I would get it permed and it only took me ten minutes to come home put on a dress and makeyp and go out again.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Reality Check
    Having one's own long hair would be really nice for crossdressing. The downside is, long hair takes a lot of care. Otherwise, you look like a homeless person who has no way to care for it. The other downside is, you are mor recognizable if you have long hair in male and female mode.
    Krisi

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    I have let my own hair grow out since 2012 and cut it myself twice in that time frame.It is mid back in length.
    I always take care of it with the right products.
    Do still wear a wig on occasion.

Over the years, I've observed something very interesting. Seems a lot of women will change their mind about what they think is physically attractive, depending upon the guy. I first noticed it back in the 80's, when I would hear the women I work with complain about men with beard growth being abrasive and very irritating on their skin, to the point that they wouldn't even kiss him. Yet, I would later see them dating guys with the three day beard growth 'style'. When I asked, the response I got was always some sort of, 'Well, it's nice on HIM, so it's okay'. I've seen the same thing happen with other men's styles that women initially HATE but somehow come around and find it attractive if it's on the right guy. I think it all goes back to the fact that what a man looks like, isn't anywhere's near as important to a woman as how much a woman's appearance is to men.

That said, I, for example, would never date a woman with traditional 'man style' length hair, such as the way Halle Berry wears it so often. If you like it, great, but I find it a tremendous turn off, just like most women find men in woman's clothing a tremendous turn off. I love long, straight, silky beautiful hair on women. To each their own, we don't get to choose what turns us on, or turns us off.
    Fwiw, I wore a full beard or a Fu Manchu style for about 40 years. When women liked me, they said it looked great. When they got tired of me, seems the beard annoyed them.
    Last edited by sometimes_miss; 02-05-2019 at 12:26 PM.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

Quote Originally Posted by sometimes_miss View Post
    That said, I, for example, would never date a woman with traditional 'man style' length hair, such as the way Halle Berry wears it so often. If you like it, great, but I find it a tremendous turn off, just like most women find men in woman's clothing a tremendous turn off. I love long, straight, silky beautiful hair on women.
    While I prefer longer healthy hair on a woman, I’d she doesn’t look good with it, then I’d rather her wear what’s best for her.

But when longer hair is best for their look, I totally agree.

I’ve had long hair since I was 15. I’m a musician and it comes with the territory, so maybe that’s why no one has ever questioned it. I’m so much for conscious of my shaved legs thinking people will think that’s weird.

Lisa, what you just write about long hair is so true.
    All the time people, when in male, ask me if I'm a musician, I'm actually one but the purpose of long hair was my transition.
    Probably If i would answer that I'm trasgender thst people would shut. Lol
    When I was younger, had so many bad thoughts about guys with long hair but one day I had the experience of meet and worked with a young guy that at the beginning I rejected, soon he taught me that long hair has nothing to do with gender, social status or sexual preferences.
    That guy was a brilliant hacker that just enjoyed reaching the network at a university I was in charge of all IT systems, lately it was smarter to hire that guy have them working at our side, as security of the network. Long hair.
    HRT 042018; Full time 032019
    Orchiectomy 062020; gender& name legal changed 102020
    Electrolysis face begins 082019, in genitals for GCS 062021
    Breast augmentation surgery 012022
    GCS 072022; BBL 022023; GCS revision 04203;END TRANSITION

I don't have super long hair but sometimes I alternate with it being longer past my shoulders in the back to shaved with a #2 when I get tired of the hair. I also, since 1987, have had a modified MULLET where the top and sides are shorter, but the back is longer. My hair is straight and I have heard recently from women that its "time to get rid of the mullet" and I reply "so should I put it up in a man bun then?" and they stop cold. So I guess that there are still women out there that have their opinions, as well as some guys, but who cares right? Currently i'm still growing the back and the sides and top are getting longer - soon i'm going to start carrying a brush and have the top "permed" and go all out!

There is so much ridiculous male-shaming toxic-masculinity towards men with long hair, from both women and men. I don’t get why. Transphobic bigots say “If men can’t naturally grow breasts and other bits then they can’t ever be female”. Well, I can equally say to any narrow-minded hypocrites who thinks that we shouldn’t have long hair either that if men weren’t supposed to have long hair then we wouldn’t have the natural ability to grow it long. Well, I believe in freedom to be whoever we are so long as we aren’t harming anyone. They’re just insecure.

Throughout history and in many cultures men have had long hair, even today. But I blame long male hair bigotry on bullshit Conservative manmade social gender constructs from different societies. Partly to do with religion, and I think also to do with the military. It has become so intertwined with each other. It is an outdated form of control to suggest that we can’t be military men (real men) if we share similar traits to as they saw as a lowly female. Sissies, wimps, probably even likened to cowards. That attitude still seems to be just as real today.

It is just hair.
    Last edited by Keira Bea; 02-08-2019 at 04:35 PM.

To your point Kiera Bea,

I think the popularity and trend of short hair over say the last 150 years has more to do with the influence and opinions of women. I'm share that military and other factors played a role as well. Long hair just isn't practical in a lot of roles men have historically played. Even in sports...while I would love to sport a pony tail if I was a professional athlete, it really doesn't make much sense for basketball/football players to have it.

But I do agree with you...society is way too uptight about it. I think if men did a better job w/grooming, it would be more accepted. Most men, really aren't.

My mom always said...if you want long hair, take care of it, clean it, trim it, brush it, etc....unfortunately, I never took her up on her offer :-(

Quote Originally Posted by Maria in heels View Post
    Currently i'm still growing the back and the sides and top are getting longer - soon i'm going to start carrying a brush and have the top "permed" and go all out!
    Well if it turns out anything like your avatar photo it'll be great Go for it.

But the mullet ... I dunno... grow it out girl, grow it out. MacGyver owned that hairstyle back in the day I'd vote for the man bun LOL

twenty years ago I had to move my hair to sit down...when it was braided. the braid at mid point (just around the bra strap length) was as big around as your wrist. My wife had it down to about 5 minutes to braid it every morning. At that length (and thickness) I wore the biggest scrunchies and I tried to match the scrunchie color to my shirt/blouse color. So they would be blue, black, grey, white, etc. They would also be lace, taffeta, nylon, or what ever material I wanted. If it wasn't braided, I used barrettes either two medium size on the sides or a large one in the middle. The only comments I ever received were on the length of the hair, not what I tied it off with or held it back out of my face with.
    Today, my avatar is kind to me as that image is quite old and its even shorter now (and all grey). But every now and then I'll dig out one of the big beasts and tie off the braid with it. Just to reminisce...

I am growing my hair out now and also had long hair back in the 90s. I feel like there is a similar amount of acceptance. Both times some people tell me to cut it, but otherwise no issues. Also I don't understand the styles with the undercut, you lose volume but I guess it is easier to wash.

This strikes me as another thread that highlights the differences in where we live. This is me walking on eggshells, but it seems a mostly American preoccupation. Sure, here in Britain in the late 60s and the 70s there was the usual slagging off of those with long hair as somehow less manly but since then I don't think it's been such an issue here in Blighty. No-one cares. Well, that's not strictly true, but there are apparently laws against culling the stoopids. Even the example of athletes. DTelia, when you mention football you mean what we call American football because in Association Football playerrs haven't stopped sporting any manner of hairdo for decades. Even our rugby players have long hair quite often. With the military there are far more practical considerations so the point's moot.
    I just fail to see why it's even a point of discussion. It typically isn't. The only time I hear it come up is usually in reference to the likes of man buns. And that's because the commenters typically have something prejudicial to say. But it's vanishingly rare. People have better things to worry about for the most part.
    Now if you're talking about long hair worn in a typically feminine style then that's essentially going to be viewed in the same way all CDing is. And that's a different question.
    Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go - T. S. Eliot

How glorious it is, and also how painful, to be an exception - Alfred De Musset

Sometimes even to live is an act of courage - Seneca

We suffer more often in imagination than in reality - Seneca

I always preferred having my hair long and except for when I was young and my dad gave be brush cuts (I hated them!) and when I was in ther service, I've worn my hair long. For the past 27 years. I've had it long, past my shoulders and down my back and I wear it in a pony tail most of the time, except for when I CD, when I wear it down. As long as I have it, I'm keeping my hair long!

Banned Read only
    I think it really depends on your career and to some extent where you live.

I am an Engineer, so my hair really doesn't come into question. Even though I do have to interface with high level customers when they visit our lab.

But of course if I wanted to go into management, sales, marketing, or even applications engineering I would have to cut it. Not worth it to me.

Living in the Northwest seeing men with long hair is pretty common since the 60's and I can't say that I have ever got any hassle for my long hair when DRAB around here. But when I was visiting home back in the Midwest a few years ago I was using the urinal in the mall restroom and a couple rednecks came in and one of them said " Duh..., I thought I was in the wrong bathroom for a minute there. Huck huck".
    Last edited by Robertacd; 02-12-2019 at 03:18 PM.

I also have not seen much negative comments about long hair on males, especially those types of comments where they infer that long hair is not masculine. Hair styles, length, color and how it is cut/styled have changed considerably since I was a young child. However, in my teens long hair on males became the go to style for some. At that time there was some push back from some. Even after that phase had ended, so to speak, some males continued to wear long hair, even in many of our USA professional sports. In contact sports that can become a problem because sometimes long hair gets intentionally or unintentionally pulled. So, I believe that the majority stay with shorter hair. I think that long hair on males in most populated areas of the USA is accepted or at least tolerated by most.

Mine is about mid back length now days. No issues at work from anyone. I even have a lady that braids it every single day for the past 2 years. On the days when I wear it down, some will ask if I have changed hair styles. I love the fact I can change my hair style from day to day if I choose. I am attempting to attach a recent photo; hopefully it works. 2019-01-18 15.58.26.jpg

Until about 1991 I wore a military cut, not a buzz cat. Then I let it grow along with my beard and stach. by 1993 I was doing the Santa Thing professionally. come 2002 the face hair came off. My hair is now about 12" long. Just can't get it any longer.
    Yep the curls are natural.
    Leslie Mary Shy
    Remember this:
    You do not have to be a man to love a woman, or be a woman to love women's clothes on her or yourself.