Thread: Surprising ankle problem

Aspiring Member

Surprising ankle problem

For the last few days I have been limping in male shoes. When I put on heels, it goes away. Makes no sense. I spend most of my life in heels and just wear male shoes for my part-time work.

From the doctor foot.

and i quote

"Wearing heels for long periods can result in a shortening and tightening of the Achilles' tendon. When you walk in a relatively flat shoe, your foot flexes up (dorsiflexes) when your heel hits the ground and then flexes down (plantarflexes) as you toe off. If the Achilles' tendon is short and tight because of high heels, the foot loses its ability to flex up and down, so switching to a flat can cause heel and calf pain. Flats can also aggravate conditions like plantar fasciitis if they lack good arch and heel support.

If you're moving away from high heels to flats, do so gradually, wearing lower heels at first. That will give your Achilles' tendon time to relax and stretch out. You might also try doing some of the standard exercises for stretching the Achilles' tendon.

The basic maneuver involves keeping your heel on the ground and your leg straight as you lean forward."
    As many as 43 percent of all people with gender dysphoria attempt suicide in their lives. dont let yourself become part of that very tragic statistic.
    Balance-Dignity-Acceptance-Responsibility-

Platinum Member
    Hi Susan , That is too bad, Looks like you will have to wear Heels the rest of your life, Tuff Brake!

>>>>>>>>>>>>Orchid ..OO..
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

Aspiring Member
    Thanks Lisa. AS I spend more than 80% of my waking hours in heels I might just have done this to myself. I might have to spend more time in low-heeled shoes or, as Blue Orchid says, I might be condemned to wear heels for the rest of my life. The pain is actually in my tendon so your Doctor Foot might be right. Have I taken off my heels? Not yet!

Lisa raises a very good point indeed a woman friiend of mine liked really high heels and wore them every day I heard recently that she cannot where anything else because of tendon damage to he heels!
    I started life a lost man now I am a found woman

It certainly feels different wearing men's shoes as my women's sneakers and work shoes have some heel.

I always thought and heard that all shoes heels, tennis, jogging, boots and boots need good arch support or you'll have serious complications later in life. I would think if a person wore heels and men's shoes that had the arch support in equal amounts of time that all the muscles in the foot would be well worked to keep pain away. Stretching the leg and pointing the toes as you do what Lisa suggested would definitly help I'm thinking.

I have large flat feet and my ankle bones are extremely painful wearing drab shoes, custom orthodics help a bit but putting on a 1" or 2'' heel pair and I could go dancing.
    WW

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    Susan, as part of my morning excersize routine, I stretch my ham strings. Not for wearing heels, just so they stay loose.
    But, when I wear my 4"+ heels? It helps!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

I cut the Achilles tendon in an accident once since then it has been binding on the outer sheath.

A one or two inch heel does help but I would rether be without the problem.

Wearing high heels all the time is not good without exercise to keep the tendons stretched.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

If the issue is tendon related, you might look into wearing a night splint. I had to use one for Planar Fasciitis and it ended the pain almost literally overnight. Arch supports kept it from returning, but the night splint was indispensable for giving the damaged tendon time to heal.

Banned Read only
    Susan,
    I have to say I get more discomfort standing on the bath mat while shaving with my heels hanging over the back of the mat at a slightly lower angle . I don't wear excessively high heels in the day, my ankle boots only have about a 2" heel and my knee boots just under 3" but do feel very comfortable .
    Last edited by Teresa; 03-24-2019 at 07:01 AM.

Aspiring Member
    Discovered what the problem was. For the last few days I have had a pile of dresses on my bed awaiting hanging up. My foot was trying to support this weight (the other foot had no weight over it). I removed the dresses and my foot is beginning to recover. And to think I had been blaming my male shoes! Moral of the story is - organise your dresses properly.

Susan, I have flat feet, so out of nowhere my feet can hurt for a few days and then get better. Heels are never the issue. I'm glad you resolved the problem.
    Please call me Jamie, I always_have crossdressed, I always will, "alwayshave".