Thread: ♪I could have danced all night♪

♪I could have danced all night♪

Well, I didn't really dance, per se. I did move with the music a little at times.
    Saturday was my first BIG adventure into the wild, en femme. The world didn't end. I had a good time.

I went to a drag show, en femme. I had planned to go to one around Halloween, but some things came up and I didn't go then. I wanted to go with a pinup/rockabilly look. I found a cute dress online. I had arranged for my hair to be done for the show but ended up cancelling that appointment. Not long ago, I saw the announcement for this recent show and began making my plans. I called the stylist and made a new appointment. We were both excited. We decided on a vintage inspired updo. I really wanted a barrel roll. But she told me that I still need to grow my hair out some more (it's just below my shoulder line now). So she did some other vintage wavy curls. It was cute. I dressed in a cute sweater dress with a cardigan to that appointment since I wanted to save my rockabilly dress for the evening and I didn't want to be walking around afterward with glam hair in drab/guy clothes. Immediately after hair, I had to stop at the local Walgreens for some things; no awkwardness at all despite my own nervousness. The young man was very professional.

I came out to a few GG friends, since fall, who were all too eager to volunteer to help with make up as well. I headed to their apartment after Walgreens. The initial makeup artist fell through and another girl stepped in. My eyes came out darker than I wanted. I still rocked it!

A preshow bar trip was mentioned to bide time until our other friends were ready; to which was apprehensive. I ultimately figured, "what the hell!" So we went. I had an adult beverage to take the edge off my nervousness. I'm pretty sure I was clocked; nothing bad happened, no awkward stares nor rudeness. Our other friends didn't show up so we headed to the show. At the show, I got tons of compliments throughout the night which bolstered my confidence. It was an overall pleasent experience. I would definitely do it again. Hopefully by then I'll have a better handle on hair and makeup on my own.

♪I could have danced all night♪

The world did not end.

Good for you! That first time is a killer! Hopefully this will be the first of many times out and about!

Congratulations.
    Isn't it great to get out and see that the world keeps turning?
    It gets better after you lose the first time jitters.

Silver Member
    More lyrics to your song: "I could have spread my wings and done a thousand things I've never done before ... " And you DID!!

Had fun Thats what it is all about the more you do it the more comfortable you will became. Keep it FUN
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Sallee

Silver Member Majella St Gerard's Avatar
    Good for you, congrats. Great that you had a good time. See how easy it is.

Welcome to the club! By a strange coincidence, I, too, attended a drag event on Saturday. We (2 GG friends and I) stopped for dinner at Chili's (full dress & makeup), which went off without a hitch.

After the drag performance, we went to a "normal" bar, that I'd been to en femme once before. The bartender saw me walk in and exclaimed "Welcome back, baby girl!" That set the tone for the rest of the evening. I met a lot of "normal" people who were just plain awesome. All in my little, "conservative" community.

Congratulations on stepping out! I bet it won't be the last time you do (it's slightly habit-forming).

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    Sounds like fun, JR! Hope you'll do it again soon?

But, a long post all about your looks and no photos? Tsk tsk!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Jessica,
    When you go with friends they help bolster your confidence and you worry less about yourself.

Girls in a group do have more fun than guys, I am sure.

They also need less alcohol to achieve that over the top enjoyment of an evening.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Congratulations! I had to look up "rockabilly", but love the look. It's great you had such a good time. Be safe and take care; oh and share some pictures.

Hi Jessica,

Congratulations!!! I am so happy you had a positive experience!!! Thank you so much for sharing.

Keep dancing!!!!

I practically live at drag shows these days. Fewer dressers go to those things than I would expect. Glad you had a good time.

Banned Read only
    Micki, I have noticed the same thing. I would expect to see a few CD/TG dressed at the local shows. But other than me, all I have seen is one other GM dressed androgynous and wearing purple lipstick.

Honestly the local Drag shows don't make me feel good about myself. The over the top drag queens, all the tucking jokes, the bad corssdressing puns, the whole thing becomes a freak show and we are the freaks.

Maybe that's why we don't see many others at these shows.
    Last edited by Robertacd; 04-09-2019 at 11:03 AM.

Maybe it’s because I’m part drag queen myself, but honestly I have never felt that way at a show. As for the tucking jokes and puns, well, you have to be able to laugh at yourself. Remember, they’re just men in dresses as well. I think the disconnect comes from dressers thinking drag queens are (or should be) just professional crossdressers, when they’re actually entertainers and really a whole different creature altogether. A good drag queen knows that she’s the biggest freak at the show and relishes in it.

I know several personally. I can tell you that I’ve seen way more crossdressers judging drag queens than I’ve seen queens judging crossdressers.

Banned Read only
    I get it, it's a performance, and I like seeing how well the girls look.

But I don't know... Maybe because the typical over the top Drag Queen is the first thing that pops into people's minds when we say we are CD/TG is why I don't care for it as much as I should.