Thread: Happy Birthday Doris Day!

Silver Member Stephanie Julianna's Avatar

Happy Birthday Doris Day!

Today Ms. Day is 97 years young. Growing up in the 50's and 60's she was the girl that I wished I could be. I never missed a movie of hers and wanted to dress and act like her in every way. She was the ultimate picture of what I thought a woman should be She had a way of appearing completely vulnerable and yet in complete control at the same time. Perfect voice, figure, looks! She was the total package and still is. I have to admit that what first drew me to my wife was that she checked almost all the boxes that Doris did but one.She can't sing. so, Happy Birthday Doris! Thank you for simply being you and being so many's Dream Girl.
    Attached Images Attached Images

She and Sandra Dee were my role models in the early 60s, Thank you Ladies.
    joank
    Southern California

Banned Read only
    Oh, thanks a lot you two... Now I have the song "Look at me, I'm Sandra Dee" from Greese stuck in my head. :P

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Uz5D-D7VYmY

Que Sera Sera,what ever will be will be....she was(and probably still is)the epitome of womanhood. I think everyone was in love with her.
    "you are a strange species and there are many out there;shall I tell you what I find beautiful about you ,you are at your best when things are at their worst" ...[ Starman]
    It may of course be a bit disturbing to sense that one is really not so firmly anchored to the gender one was born into.

Doris Mary Ann Kappelhoff grew up close to where I live so she was always quite popular around here.
    Who couldn't love that fresh faced girl next door. I considered her somewhat of a role model (at least for the role I dreamed of a youngster). And 'Que Sera, Sera" is one of my simple go-to songs that I play when I sit down at a piano.
    However, I think you are starting the celebration a week early. I think her birthday is next Wednesday, April 3.

Doris Day gave us a great example of someone to emulate.
    Hugs, Carole

I have watched more of Doris Day than you would expect someone of my age (41) to have done. It was all pre my adolescence and TG-awakening though, so my appreciation of her wasn't attraction or style.. Or maybe it was but I just didn't realise it . She reasonated somehow with a young me, nonetheless .

I didn't ( and still don't ) know much about her in real life, but if we were to emulate her styles from some of her movies, we wouldn't go too far wrong ... except on here where we'd get told we need to blend more . But be that as it may, I loved her in "That Touch of Mink" as Cathy Timberlake:

"I would enjoy going out with you Mr. Beasley! . . if I just didn't find you so personally distasteful. You're a sneaky, crude, offensive man." ... "Of course, that's just how I feel. I'm sure there are hundreds of girls in this city who admire those qualities..".

Even back then, I loved the delivery .

https://youtu.be/CYQVaGDCiZ0?t=75.

- Lydianne.

Happy Birthday Doris Day.

Doris Day and a cross dressed Paul Lynde in Glass Bottom Boat.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    If your not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room.

Yes, Doris was everyone's favourite "girl next door".
    GeorgeA
    formerly Salerba

"a miad" Man-in-a-Dress

Doris Day has always been the essence of femininity.
    Crissy

Silver Member
    I own several of Doris Day's movies. I got hooked on her from, That Touch of Mink. Looking at her in her slip and those beautiful clothes. I will say that Liz Taylor wore one of the prettiest slips in Butterfield 8.

While I was growing up I learned from my older sisters that you put on your panties, girdle, bra, nylons, and slip. Then you finished your hair and makeup. I always thought the sexiest part of getting ready was sitting there in your slip and then slipping on your dress and heals.

Like me she is blonde too.

She was an icon to look up to years ago.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

I do love Doris Day. The dresses in the fifties and early sixties she wore in movies are to die for.
    Please call me Jamie, I always_have crossdressed, I always will, "alwayshave".

Might have gotten a little excited when I heard about her Birthday and started celebrating early. As it turns out it is a week long celebration even by her close friends. I introduced one of my granddaughters to her movies (which I have a lot of) when she was 6. We regularly watch her earlier movies from the pre- Rock Hudson movie era, By the Light of the Silvery Moon, On Moonlight Bay, Tea for Two, etc. Many were with Gordon Macrae before he achieved major stardom with Oklahoma and Carousel opposite Shirley Jones, another 'girl next door' beauty with an amazing voice as well. I'm pretty sure that my Granddaughter is the only girl in her school, she's 13 now, who knows anything about Doris Day. Anyway, as I said before, she was the girl I wanted to be and that has never changed. A bit of trivia, Doris got her stage name from Les Brown, the Big Band Leader, when he saw her sing in a local club before he recruited her as a singer for his Band. At the time she was singing "Day by Day" and the rest is history.

mini kilted chick t-girlxsophie's Avatar
    Still going strong,puts a lot of much younger women to shame,classy lady

Sophie
    We look to Scotland,for all our Ideas of Civilisation-Voltaire

========================================

A woman who loves to wear beautiful clothes is like a flower.
    A man who loves to emulate these women is a special flower-a rose
    Facebook:Sophie Johnson

Doris is awesome. But in my eyes no one tops Sophia Loren sorry Stephanie.
    Angie

Angie, I agree about Sophia. And she still looks fabulous. That being said, Sophia was the girl every guy wanted to be with but you could bring a girl like Doris home to meet Mom. And I did.

Bad news for Doris Day fans.
    I just heard that she has passed away at age 97. May we all be able to live as long.
    We'll remember her fondly.

Sad news indeed.
    Last edited by char GG; 05-13-2019 at 04:33 PM. Reason: Not relevant to the OP's post
    When haters hate, I celebrate!

by Patience
    Sad news indeed.

I second this!
    Last edited by char GG; 05-13-2019 at 04:36 PM. Reason: Original post was edited

Aspiring Member
    RIP Doris Day,
    What I remember most about her is in a time when homophobia was mainstream, she stood up for Rock Hudson as he succumbed to AIDs. The woman had heart.
    Warmly,
    Sheren Kelly

Platinum Member
    Doris Day was always a GOOD GIRL, RIP DORIS DAY. >Orchid
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

She was the best a real lady. It a sad day for the world. Peace be with you Doris Day.
    Angie

I am rather sad as well, Doris was an Icon for me.

This thread has us talking about her living a full life and now passing on.

Forever remembered.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.