Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: “Cross-dressing is not synonymous with being transgender”

Personally I don't feel that cross-dressing has anything at all to do with being transgender.
    I like to wear women's clothes, But have no desire to be one. I have no desire to do the makeup and wear a wig.

I just like the appearance and feel of women's clothes.

So in my opinion and point of view. No real connection is there.
    But every person is different, and for others there may be a huge connection
    And who really cares, Wear what you like, what ever point you are on the spectrum.
    my sister's reply when I told her how I prefer to dress

"Everyone has there thing, all that matters is that you are happy, love what you do and who you do it with"

To me, "crossdressing" is an action or activity that is not necessarily attached to a motivator but often is. The boundary between, say, "just crossdressing" and "transgender" is a fuzzy one but transgender is caused by a self concept that allows or even demands a person to identify some of the time or all of the time with the opposite sex and that establishes a basic format that guides comfortable and compatible behavior. In a social context, this may cause a reversal in the traditional and stereotypical behavioral traits of a person of the opposite sex. Thus, the boundary between pure crossdressing and transgender crossdressing is rather indistinct. OK, that's a real mouthful.

Transgender does not require crossdressing but is a condition where the person feels that they are actually a member of the opposite sex even though they obviously are not anatomically of that sex. Why does it happen? Nobody really knows, but the scientists are hot on the trail. Fact is, the why doesn't really matter in a practical sense unless one is searching for a "cure." It would be nice to know and that is what science is seeking, but it is not necessary to know because if you are allowed to simply be who you are, irrespective of your position on the spectrum of behavioral patterns that forms what we call gender, cause is irrelesvant.

However, both trans and non-trans people can and do crossdress, but their motivations may be very different. Thus a male who crossdresses and still identifies as masculine/male, or the other way around as a female, is purely crossdressing. If it makes them feel like they are now a quasi-member of the opposite sex then that is dipping a little ways into the transgender pot of soup. Thus, a crossdresser may do that so it makes them feel that way. Is it satisfying something deeper? Perhaps, but it is also possible the act of crossdressing may not have anything to do with a shift in gender identity. It might be as simple as a physical comfort with fabric feel or some other non-gender related motivations.

On the other hand, a person who crossdressed because they are identifying with the characteristics of the opposite sex would be deep into the trans pot of soup. Their motivation is different from the other person even though the result is the same.

So, in my opinion, distinguishing between crossdresser and transgender comes down to a need to find out what the motivation is to crossdress. If the motivations are different even though the consequences in action are the same, then the fundamental driver of that shift in the socially acceptable attire is a part of the cause of the behavior. Nevertheless, it is a fine line that probably can't actually be found in the real world. The line exists because we define it that way and not necessarily because it reflects reality. Thus the reality appears to be a continuum with peaks and valleys here and there, but no real boundaries present unless you cherry pick the defining characteristics of the continuum.

So, what does all this mean? We are a great deal more complex than our concepts are, that is, our concepts are based on cherry picked criteria rather than to whole package. That said, we do tend to have a need to categorize things if for no other reason than to be able to talk about them. When we think the categorization represents reality that is when we get in trouble, especially if the reality turns out to be very different from the entrenched ideological classification that associates outward appearance with sexual characteristics. Those sexual characteristics only have to do with reproduction and have very little to do with the social roles people of the two sexes are expected to play or the complexities of self concept created in the brain by perhaps some fundamental blueprint that establishes a vague foundation that we build on in the course of our lives through experience and behavioral adaptation.

Thus when someone behaves differently than expected, with regard to appearance, we tend to launch ourselves into an Us/Them dichotomy and conclude the person is a bit "messed up" with regard to identity. They may be, but more likely they are not. It is the expectations and the Us/Them conflicts that are messed up. Thus crossdressers (no gender reversal in self concept) and transgender (some degree of gender reversal in self concept) are just part of a continuum that is not reflected in the way society classifies people with regard to socially established expectations. Shift the expectations and forget about Us/Them stuff and all is well.

Well I guess I'm going in a different direction. For us to participate in this activity , there has to be something different in us. I think that there is a little TG in all of us. It all depends how strong the feelings are. Not saying that we all want to be women but there has to be something

Banned Read only
    Yes it is.

I believe all CD's are TG to some extent.

Years ago I would have not said that and rattled off a list of reasons why. But as I have previously stated, I was lying to myself most of all.
    Last edited by Robertacd; 03-29-2019 at 01:14 PM.

I might have agreed with that statement several years ago, but now I believe that crossdressing is just another part of the transgender spectrum. Yes, those of us in this category do not wish to transition, live full-time, or even come out to our family, friends, neighbors, and colleagues. But we are still under the transgender umbrella. It's a very interesting topic and I will now go back and read the comments, thank you Chantal for starting the discussion.

Banned Read only
    Chantal,
    The statement is perfectly true , as the thread about Cding being a hobby to some proved .

Being TG doesn't necessarily mean the person will crossdress , it's just a logical conclusion .

Being full time I naturally accept I'm TG but I no longer feel I'm crossdressing , in fact drab feels more like it now .

TrueNorth Strong & Fierce Princess Chantal's Avatar
    Thank you folks that followed the concept of the thread (or seemed to do so), made the reading of the thread very enthralling for me (and hopefully for you as well). Nice to read your initial opinions with wishfull thinking that they were not influenced or generated by previous posts!

Well in my case I wear women’s clothes 24/7.when I was on vacation a month ago my 14 yr old non binary neighbor wanted to dress me in drag since “ they” had the day off from school. I was all dressed up and the conversation came up if I was trans. My SO was there too.that really put me on the spot. I just said that I was a lesbian born in a male body. And if I had a vagina I would have been a lesbian. She “ they” out me saying the I’m trans in front of my SO and wanted to know if I identify as a part of the lgbt community. I replied I don’t but I support it. My SO always suspected I was different. I just came short of saying “ yes I’m trans so what”.btw it wasn’t really drag but it turned out to be light make up and a cos play wig which I strutted around the house. It was a good experience though

I am with Roberta, I dressed for 35 years before I realized that I really do identify as a woman. This recent movement for strong women, the if you can see her you be her, my mother was the strongest person I have ever known. I thought for years I am too tough to be a girl, then it hit me that there are women who do what I do and women who are just as tough as me. My wife took to calling me a sissy until I made the comment "what women can't be tough" she hasn't called me a sissy since. I will say though since I accepted that I am a woman things have become more complicated.
    Last edited by KimberlyJean; 03-29-2019 at 07:17 PM.

Aspiring Member
    I think crossdressing can progress to being TG. Although that could also be it was TG all the time but one was trying to fool one's self about being just a "simple crossdresser".

I read on another thread a sister describing herself as a non-transitioning TG who is crossdressing when she presents as male! It neatly turned the world up on its end, I thought it was a cool statement.

Being CD/TG makes one an expert liar. And the first person we lie to... is ourselves.

YOULOVEMYTOES Palaina Nocturnus's Avatar
    I was told by a psychologist that the clothes I wear are considered feminine hence I am transgender. His basic explanation was as a crossdresser, the clothes I seek out are found in the section made specifically for females. That makes me transgender. After that, however I feel while in those clothes helps to identify my sexual orientation. I am bisexual.

I get overwhelmed with all the titles so I just say I am bisexual. I've dated every color, age and size. I'm more obsessed with sex than i am with how the person looks or their gender.

I really enjoyed everyone's opinions and their respect for others! I finally found a safe place to be myself.

Live. Laugh. Love.

I would say that there is a fundamental difference. A crossdresser is someone who wears the clothes of the opposite gender. I think we can all agree with that. If we look at the trans community, they will tell you that trans women ARE women. If trans women are women then they are definitely not cross dressing, as they would be wearing clothing appropriate to their gender.

Quote Originally Posted by Sara Jessica View Post
    Cross dressing is something one does.

Transgender is something one is.
    I agree with this.

But I think the confusion is because (IMO) most present day transgender persons, start out dressing in the opposite sex's clothing. Just to try it out to get their brains around the concept. I can't image anyone showing up at their doctors asking for hormones that hasn't tried on the opposite sex's clothing.

A person that's crossdressing, is not necessarily going to ever be transgender. There's no guarantee that a crossdresser will go "all the way" to surgeries and hormones.

Resident Polymath MarinaTwelve200's Avatar
    Don't forget a LOT of us do NOT Identify with women. Nor are we Homosexual or transsexual. For many it is a sexual fetish, and others, Like myself, it helps me ESCAPE my male self. Some use it for masochistic humiliation, and others just like the texture of the fabric (so they say) and ALSO, it's just plain FUN! Folks tend to read too much into the (often disturbing) CLOTHING aspect of those who cross dress, while it is what they are using the clothing for or trying to accomplish is the real matter(s) to consider.

I think from crossdresser to pre-op transsexual each has a certain amount of Gender Dysphoria which drives them to do the dressing to express the dysphoria! Crossdressers have been considered under the transgender umbrella! They may only find it a sexual kink but the question is why? Gender dysphoria! Just my opinion for what it is worth! Best wishes to all! Hugs Lana Mae
    Life is worth living!
    "Foxy lady! You look so good!!" Jimi Hendrix

As a MIAD I'm definitely not transgender. I am male, plain & simple. I am not even sure about crossdressing part. I wear things that I like, and which most women today disdain and seldom wear. Is that crossdressing?
    GeorgeA
    formerly Salerba

"a miad" Man-in-a-Dress

Lana Mae makes a good point regarding the influence of dysphoria. The discomfort (dysphoria) of having a poor match between internal feelings, outward expression, and return sensory input can be a strong motivator to make adjustments to create more comfort.

So, those who experience this need to express their inner feelings are seeking a feedback from senses that validates the internal feeling. We do that all the time with most everything we do - the brain creates a behavior that seems appropriate and the senses provide signals to the brain that what is being done is consistent with its expectations. It completes the circle.

Not completing the circle creates discomfort (dysphoria) that continues to demand validation. That discomfort can become stronger and stronger. It is somewhat similar to a child demanding a piece of candy - they may throw a temper tantrum. But in an adult that demand is met in very different and more controlled ways than it is in a child. Seeking that comfort through validating feedback, in the case of gender, drives us to find a comfort zone in being, in one way or another, like the gender identity that needs validation. Keep in mind though, you are not always consciously aware of what is going on in the subconscious brain. The conscious brain implements what the subconscious brain calculates is the proper course of action and it can rationalize it in many different ways. So, we are all so very different and yet so much alike.

Men sometimes cross dress for Halloween or to participate in a crossdressing contest. They're simply being good sports. They have no GD, have no desire to transition and have no desire to ever cross dress for any other reason. There's nothing transgender about them.
    "You're the only one to see the changes you take yourself through", Stevie Wonder

Ressie, that's a good point and possibly an interesting side topic. Concerning Hallowe'en or the like, is it 'crossdressing' if you're simply wearing a costume for an isolated occasion? I don't think I'd consider that 'crossdressing' in the sense that folks use the word, but that's just my faulty perception of it! Naturally, I'd expect all different shades and intentions just in this minute part of the discussion.

For me, the term transgender is an umbrella group for all non cis gender people. Crossdressers are a often (but not always) a subset of this group. I cross dress because it an expression of what I feel I inside. I don’t think that is necessarily the case for all people who cross dress.

I think we are fundamentally different, although we share basic common traits, like ducks and seagulls, or different varieties of bears.

No, we’re strictly speaking the same, but saying we are can harmlessly shorten many boring conversations.
    When haters hate, I celebrate!

The Wiki paragraph reads, "The term cross-dressing refers to an action or a behavior, without attributing or implying any specific causes or motives for that behavior. Cross-dressing is not synonymous with being transgender."

Seems hard to argue that CDing and being TG are the same given this generic (dictionary type) definition of crossdressing.
    Last edited by Taylor186; 03-30-2019 at 11:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Taylor186 View Post
    The Wiki paragraph reads, "The term cross-dressing refers to an action or a behavior, without attributing or implying any specific causes or motives for that behavior. Cross-dressing is not synonymous with being transgender."

Seems hard to argue that CDing and being TG are the same given this generic (dictionary type) definition of crossdressing.
    Not hard at all, unless of course, you consider Wikipedia to be the ultimate arbiter of truth on the Internet, unfailingly accurate and up to date, thanks to the input of the most informed and respected authorities on every subject in it's catalog.

What? Too much sarcasm?
    Calling bigotry an "opinion" is like calling arsenic a "flavor".

Banned Read only
    Sure but you do know that anyone can edit Wikipedia, right? I could go change that right now.

They are synonymous because a GM probably wouldn't even have the desire to crossdress unless they were transgender to some extent.

Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Kelly View Post
    Not hard at all, unless of course, you consider Wikipedia to be the ultimate arbiter of truth on the Internet, unfailingly accurate and up to date, thanks to the input of the most informed and respected authorities on every subject in it's catalog.

What? Too much sarcasm?
    A meaningless comment. If you spent any time reading the Wiki post before engaging your sarcastic fingers then you would realize that the Wiki post as referenced in the OP specifies a specific, all-inclusive, definition of crossdressing that certainly is not synonymous with being TG. It has nothing to do with the accuracy of the definition in your eyes or who can change it.

Quote Originally Posted by Robertacd View Post
    Sure but you do know that anyone can edit Wikipedia, right? I could go change that right now.

They are synonymous because a GM probably wouldn't even have the desire to crossdress unless they were transgender to some extent.
    You too seem to have not read the Wiki post on cross-dressing. They reference several crossdressing situations where "the desire to crossdress," from a CD/TG perspective, is unnecessary: including acting, drag, and fetishes among others. Again, It has nothing to do with the accuracy of the definition in your eyes or who can change it.