Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Veterans

Veterans

It strikes me that a lot of us are veterans.

I'm curious, is there a greater incidence of veterans amongst CDs, TGs and NBs? Is being on the TG spectrum more common among veterans than other demographics? Is it a reaction to the hypermasculine environment of military service? Do those already on the TG spectrum gravitate toward military service in their youth as a type of denial?

Naturally, everyone's experiences are vastly different, but I am curious. What's your story? Is there anything to these questions?

I think you are on to something Macey. I now believe the Navy made me a crossdresser. MMM well maybe not. Dang I guess I still don't know why I am a crossdresser.
    Teri Ray Rural Idaho Girl.

I was a member of the Massachusetts Army National Guard, keeping the Commonwealth safe from invasion by Rhode Island.
    Please call me Jamie, I always_have crossdressed, I always will, "alwayshave".

U. S. Air Force 1954-57

Rae, USAF for me too, much later, but still seems like a million years ago!

Jamie, not mentioning my side hobby concerning things that go 'boom', but I'm ready if the red coats ever invade :P

Teri, so which way did you shake out on it?

Ladies, any thoughts on my questions? I have to imagine the answers, if there are any, are complex and nuanced!

Quote Originally Posted by Macey View Post
    . . . Do those already on the TG spectrum gravitate toward military service in their youth as a type of denial? . . .
    You nailed it for me.

U.S. Navy 1972-1976
    My Flickr page is at https://www.flickr.com/photos/156828173@N07/

Platinum Member
    uncle sam made my decision for me. I did kinda hope that two years of the army had "cured" me. needless to say, it didn't
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Kim, it didn't 'cure' you because there's nothing wrong with you :P

USAF...proudly. Cded before, took a three year sabbatical, after...It was a
    Waiting for me when I was discharged, so I took up where I left off and started all over. Yes, I missed it during the military years, but there was no choice. Been making up for it ever since. 👗👠

US army 1965 to 1967 infantry

Aspiring Member
    U.S. Navy 68-71 active. Sherrii

is the percentage of homosexual veterans higher than the percentage of homosexuals relative to the general population? Is the percentage of left-handed people higher? What about countries where military service is mandatory (like the now discontinued national service in the UK)?

If there’s any connection there, it’s probably a strictly American phenomenon. Most other countries don’t have the same militaristic fetish. Well, not the democratic ones, anyway.
    When haters hate, I celebrate!

Patience, interesting thoughts, but I've seen a lot of UK folks that are veterans here on the boards, at least one of whom (can't remember who!) mentioned military service and how it affected or was affected by CDing, so it does make me curious.

Being left-handed, and having served not long before DADT in the US, I am curious about your other questions as well, but those are probably different topics altogether

US Navy submarine vetran. (Bubblehead) from 1987-1991. I did CD some while in. Not often though.

1968 thru 1988, active duty US Army.! I dont think the Army had any influence one way or the other with me. Sidney I suppose was always there but didnt start to surface until 2007, twenty years after I retired from the Army and my wife and I sold the business we owned in 2008. I do know now that I had a feminine side from an early age but suppressed it to be the man I was.

Marine Reserves and Army National Guard. That's all I'm going to say.
    Sherrie Lynn Pall

Sometimes I make sense and that frightens me.

Please don't let me be the last post on this thread

US Army here. I don't think that one caused the other. Just taking another step in growing up.

I had dabbled before joining, but signed up mainly to escape my hometown. Dressed a bit during 21 year AF career and beyond. Last 4-5 years have been able to do more. Counseling helped spouse transition from search & destroy rage to DADT.

Banned Read only
    Macey,
    The only influence that may have impacted on me was my father was in the Royal Navy when I was conceived , otherwise I don't really believe there is a connection . We are either born with the trait or not .

There was no external influence on me at the age of 8-9 when I started . If you're suggesting suppression and denial had an influence , I can't answer for certain .

I served Vietnam Era 72-75 US Army Military Police.

Banned Read only
    Just in case you are not aware of it March 29th has now and forever been designated as "National Vietnam War Veterans Day." The acknowledgement is to all veterans who served during that time. Not just those who were in theater. That being said;

I volunteered for the draft after I graduated college. My brother was one year older than I. He had graduated college six months before me after a 4 1/2 year program. Our father was deceased. My brother had a "support deferment." The draft board told us that one of us was going, so choose. Since I did not yet have a job rather than wait to be drafted, I volunteered for the draft. I chose that way rather than enlisting because the draft was for two years and the minimum enlistment at that time was three years for the army. Well, I did not expect to end up in the infantry. But, that was where I ended up. Later I found out how the army decided who was going where. Then it made sense. Anyway, I served in 1970 in I Corp which is the northern most part of South Vietnam. I was wounded twice. The second time it was a booby trap which did me in. I was evacuated to the Japan and then to the states.

I was dabbling in my mother's lingerie draw in my youth. I outgrew the urges before getting drafted. Maybe because I outgrew her sizes. While in the army, and, especially in the infantry I had no thoughts of wearing women's clothing. If, as my PTSD counselor believes, each person has some dna of the opposite sex and in some people it is stronger than others, my male dna and hormones were raging. I can attest when the need arises man's basic sense of self preservation arises. You do end up developing long suppressed animal senses and reactions. That did not include thoughts of wearing nylon slips.

I did have fleeting thoughts concerning my youthful dabbling in my mother's lingerie after I met my future wife while still in the army, stateside. I dismissed it as nothing because it was so long ago. Why didn't these thoughts remain suppressed? Unfortunately, the physical pain of the encounter with the booby trap has and will remain with me until I die. So does the PTSD over that incident and others. I found returning to wearing women's clothing as a mechanism to seek relief. Wearing women's clothing sort of brings out the Stephanie within me. She provides relief from PTSD. I think it has reached a point where she and her brother have blended together.

Summary. I do not believe there is a direct cause and effect between veterans status and cross dressing. The tendency may be suppressed within someone. I have always viewed cross dressing as it relates to combat service as my tool to avoid those things which do arise with PTSD. I hang with a group of Nam vets. Except for me all seem to have self medicated with drugs and alcohol. Due to the circumstances of incurring my injuries I felt I had to honor those who died in my stead. That precluded abusing any substances. Cross dressing still is my drug of choice.

There's that smile! CarlaWestin's Avatar
    All of my true heroes are veterans.
    I've waited so long for this time. Makeup is so frustrating. Shaking hands and I look so old. This was a mistake.
    My new maid's outfit is cute. Sure fits tight.
    And then I step into the bedroom and in the mirror, I see a beautiful woman looking back at me.
    Smile, Honey! You look fabulous!

Stephanie, thank you for your detailed answer and thank you for your service!

It sounds like an interesting theory to me.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Silver Member
    Navy, 2 years, mid-50s. I hoped and thought being a 'man' in the service would cure me of CDing. It didn't.