Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flying pretty!

Flying pretty!

I am going to Houston in June and looking for tips or advise on flying pretty with out name changed on documents! Allay my fears! Hugs Lana Mae
    Life is worth living!
    "Foxy lady! You look so good!!" Jimi Hendrix

Lana Mae,

Flying pretty and presenting documents with a male name and gender is not something new to TSA. They are trained to handle transgender passengers. When booking your plane ticket make sure the name and gender you list matches your travel documents you present to TSA. If you are searched, it will be done by an officer of the gender you present as, not the gender you legally are.

Loose fitting clothing in my experience tends to make you a lot more likely to get searched, at least it has seemed that way for me. The first time that I flew presenting as a female, I had no problem at all.

It seems to me, the more I started passing, the more I also got searched. One problem for Transgender passengers is that the TSA machine operator presses the female button and if you have the male appendage, it shows up as an anomaly they have to clear by searching you. This was a problem I faced in the past, pre SRS. Some have alerted the machine operator before hand to push the button matching their genitals to prevent the problem I mentioned.

To sum it up, in my experience the less your passibility is the less likely you are to be searched, or the more passable, the more likely. This is only my opinion and observations, so others experiences may be different. Flying female with a male ID, never caused me to be delayed a long period of time or to miss a flight. TSA, even with problems I faced with them, were fairly respectful. Also never had a problem with the airlines or other passengers. Even though there were problems pre SRS, my worst experience was post SRS with TSA. Most importantly always be honest with TSA. Best of luck to you on your flight.

If there is anything else you want ask feel free to PM me.

Grace
    Last edited by grace7777; 03-30-2019 at 11:37 PM.

Lana, reading Grace's post I am still not ready to fly pretty until I get a passport indicating something other than male.

My flights are nearly all international anyway.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Banned Read only
    Lana,
    Is it a silly question but would it be easier to use a train ? No check in problems and no luggage restrictions . I'm thinking of using a train to travel through to Paris as I live only ten minutes from a main line station . I haven't worked out the cost difference but I doubt there's not much difference time wise and I won't have a baggage allowance to worry about , I'll have to look into the situation travelling as Teresa on my male passport .
    Last edited by Teresa; 03-31-2019 at 04:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lana Mae View Post
    Allay my fears! Hugs Lana Mae
    It is no big deal unless you choose to make it one...Allow plenty of extra time for the "pat down" in case they have to have a supervisor do it again before "signing off on the "anomaly" the machine discovered.
    It SURE is my hair ! I have the receipt and the box it came in !

Grace: I will be sure to tell them the "male" button!
    Beverly: Not going international, this time!
    Teresa: Train would take too long! Lay overs are so long!
    Rogina: I certainly won't make it a big deal! LOL
    Thanks for your replies ladies!
    Hugs Lana Mae
    Life is worth living!

The way security has gotten, I don't fly anywhere anymore, but neither do I go out crossdressed. I think the whole process is an insult, and prefer to drive where I need to go.

Like Grace said, they are well aware of TG people and will accommodate them. I have a friend from a previous forum who flies pretty all the time, traveling all over the country troubleshooting advanced machinery. She has good and bad experiences, but generally no issues from security, and has a good time. If you're at all inclined, I'd go for it.
    Renée Theresa Davidson

Kim's blog may help http://kimberlyhuddle.blogspot.com/2...ly-pretty.html

[SIZE=1]- - - Updated - - -[/SIZE]

This TSA video will also be helpful - https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=0SLI3Q1bIrs

I flew to Vegas and back last year,Really no problems and no questions.

Well there was my underwire bar. I didn't think it would be a big deal as I have a metal rod in my leg anyway, wrong. The leg was not a problem the bra was. On the return flight sports bra, no wire, no problems. They even let me walk thru with my wedges on.

Enjoy your trip.

Life is more fun in heels Genifer Teal's Avatar
    "It shows up as an anomaly", this is exactly the term they used. Then ask me to walk through the machine a second time. Then they let me go through to the plane. I think it had more to do with how I carried myself. I was pleasant and not nervous or acting strangely or awkwardly. Those would have raised concern. Although they didn't say it I think they had a good idea what was going on.
    Last edited by Genifer Teal; 03-31-2019 at 05:21 PM.

So when you take your seat and your seat mate wants to begin a conversation, how do you mange the voice issue?

Jennifer

Quote Originally Posted by jennifer1958 View Post
    So when you take your seat and your seat mate wants to begin a conversation, how do you mange the voice issue?

Jennifer
    Why does it matter? Your faces are inches apart and if that person doesn't have a vision problem most people won't pass such close quarters scrutiny....Best to be confident in your right to be there and act graciously as you will be acting as an ambassador for the T community whether you wish to or not.
    It SURE is my hair ! I have the receipt and the box it came in !

Hi Lana,

Don't worry, just do what has been said already. Present your original documents, matching your ticket and booking name.

I've done this a few times already, no problem at all.
    Make sure you don't have any breast forms in your carry on luggage, that will appear in the check in and control. That happened to me once when I travelled as a guy. I had to open my trolley with all the female stuff in there.
    That was embarrassing, as flying as female wasn't embarrassing at all.

Good luck and fun

Doreen

Renee: I AM going for it!
    JenX: Kim"s blog was very helpful! Waiting for my daughter to get up to play the video!
    Jean: I do not wear underwires so no problem there! My shoes do have metal decorations depending which pair I wear! I definately plan to have a good time!
    Genifer: After screening so many, there is bound to be an "anomoly" or two show up! LOL
    Jennifer: I live in NC and use my male voice only slightly softer! No problems! Every once in a while a look or two! Usually smiles!
    Rogina: Well stated! You have to go out and just do it!
    Doreen: I will be wearing the forms, so that should not be a problem! A FEW times, I think more than a few times for you! LOL
    Thanks ladies for your replies!
    Hugs Lana Mae
    Life is worth living!

Quote Originally Posted by Lana Mae View Post
    Renee:
    Doreen: I will be wearing the forms, so that should not be a problem! A FEW times, I think more than a few times for you! LOL
    Thanks ladies for your replies!
    Hugs Lana Mae
    Hin lana, you'll be fine when you wear them, that's my experience.
    Actually I've only been on airplanes as Doreen twice, both in the USA.
    One trip from Seattle to Oakland, the other from Orlando to DC.

Other than flying, YES, I've been doing everything that another person who travels would do too.

Banned Read only
    Jennifer,
    I'm going to agree with Rogina , it really isn't a problem . Besides you have had to check through security with them knowing your exact history so using a different voice isn't going to fool them .

OK it brings up the question of what we pass as or what we are seen as . As we can't go round asking people, I assume I'm seen as a TG person if it's anymore than that then it's a bonus . I'm out everyday and the voice issue hasn't created a single problem , they see me female enough to comfortably accept me .

Flying pretty is a big step, but if you're ready, go for it! It's one of the most exhilarating experiences I have had. I have flown a few times, and you may find my experiences helpful. Take a peek!

1st time (full "report" is in post #20): https://www.crossdressers.com/forums...ime&highlight=
    3rd time: https://www.crossdressers.com/forums...y-3&highlight=
    Letting the girl in me out.
    More pictures here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/165304654@N04/albums

Aspiring Member
    I flew pretty for the first time from SJC to DFW this past weekend. I felt like the TSA agents were more friendly when I flew pretty then en-drab, but then again I try to smile a lot when dressed. No issues with the sex on my driver's license not matching the sex I was presenting. When putting my stuff on the conveyor belt, I asked if I had to remove my earrings and necklace, they said I was fine with them on, but another agent instructed me to put the necklace pendant around to the back. After going through the scanner, a female agent performed a quick pat down on my arms and waived me through. Overall, TSA treated me with dignity and were friendly. When I gate checked some one carry-on, the agent almost called me sir. As did the shuttle bus driver, but that didn't bother me, because otherwise they were polite and helpful.

While on the plane, I had a window seat (I prefer aisle, but none were available when I booked). The person sitting next to me was a woman, who smiled when we met. She was quiet...but she did compliment my skirt after I got up for the restroom. Since I was toward the back of the plane, I waited for most people to leave when I deplaned.

Its funny, I have a hard time getting myself to go into a restaurant to eat, because I feel like there's no place to hide, yet I locked myself into a plane with over 100 strangers. After musing about it on the plane. I surmised that even if I don't pass to everyone, people for the most part are polite and civilized.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Lana Mae

I have no advice about flying pretty ... just flying (and TSA/scans) in general.

I was in drab. Once when I went through the body scanner it went off. I chatted with the TSA agent a bit while I was being patted down. The agent said that one of the things that the scanners detect is blobs of material (metal, cloth, whatever) that are larger than expected and not where they are expected (thus a bra on a "man" might trigger an alarm, but not on a "woman"). If I recall right, what set the scanner off for this trip was that my shirt had bunched up around my waist... One of my rituals now when I go through security is to check for bunched up clothing...

Good luck on your flight

Fran

Hi lana,

These are my pictures when flying pretty, I just realized it's already such a long time ago....I believe I should fly again soon.
    During these years (2010-2014) I would mostly wear skirts. Now it's mostly dresses.

Bild-003.jpg Bild-008.jpg

Bild-010.jpg flight_1.jpg

flight_2.jpg

Aspiring Member
    My version of flying pretty was terrifying and thrilling all at the same time. I wore my skinny jeans, 3 1/2" heeled booties and white shirt. I had a black baseball hat on as well as a black jacket. When I went to get out of the car in the parking garage, my inner voices were screaming "What the heck do you think you are doing? Are you crazy?!" But I pressed on and walked from the garage to the gate - a very long walk in my heeled booties. Furthest I had ever walked in heels. Had to take my shoes off at TSA. I just popped them on the conveyor for everyone to see I was wearing a pair of high heeled boots. I was nervous walking through the gate to board the plane with everyone in the sitting area seeing this guy with skinny jeans and heeled boots. On the plane I sat, admiring my skinny jeans and feeling great having what i just did. When I landed in LAX, it was to the bathroom to change into full drab mode before heading to the plant.

It was longest out in public being dressed ever. I can't wait for another business trip so I can wear my 4" heeled booties and flared jeans. I am in awe of those that are able to go completely dressed. You have my upmost respect and admiration. Enjoy the experience.

Gold Member Read only Rachael Leigh's Avatar
    I’ve not done this yet Lana but as many here have said it doesn’t seem to be a issue. I do plan on traveling in a few weeks
    as my NB self where I will have a most definite fem apperance and I will wear my forms as well. I don’t go totally en fem
    many places anymore so not sure how I will be treated but really don’t care so I wish you well

Banned Read only
    June,
    I'm shaking my head in agreement , it's funny where we feel comfortable and where we feel exposed . I had no problems with a restaurant , I found it an odd feeling the first time I sat in a full cinema as no one has a clue who they are sitting next to . Full waiting rooms take a little getting use to but I felt most exposed while standing to cross a busy road in front of slow moving traffic ( I only ran out of milk thread ) .

I don't think I would have a problem on a plane but long hauls are a pain in the butt no matter how you are dressed .

Quote Originally Posted by faltenrock View Post
    Make sure you don't have any breast forms in your carry on luggage, that will appear in the check in and control. That happened to me once when I travelled as a guy. I had to open my trolley with all the female stuff in there.
    That was embarrassing, as flying as female wasn't embarrassing at all.
    Last time I flew, I was totally in boy mode, but I brought my forms in my carry-on in case I could find some girl time. When my bag was going through the X-ray, it started going back and forth, so I knew that they spotted my forms. The TSA agent came over to me and I told him that I had forms in my bag. He said they would need to be inspected. I knew that this was a possibility and planned to ask for a private inspection. But the agent surprised me and asked me if I wanted a private inspection before I got to ask him.

In short, I was taken to a room for a private inspection. It wasn't a problem at all.
    Hi, I'm Steffi and I'm a crossdresser... And I accept and celebrate both sides of me. Or, maybe I'm gender fluid.

I have to travel for work in a couple months and would love to wear my forms. Is that going to be an issue? I cannot pass even a little bit. Totally just a guy in women’s cloths.