Quote Originally Posted by MiniRock View Post
A friend of mine told me afterwards that it isn't really a problem to put petrol in a diesel car. The time I put diesel in my aeroplane was however!
It depends on the diesel car. The newer ones with common-rail injectors are a problem. Put gas in, and the high-pressure fuel pump, which relies on the lubricity of diesel fuel for its lubrication, will grenade and send shrapnel all through the fuel system requiring a completely new fuel system from tank to injectors, if you're unlucky. On a VW, that's a $7k repair job. A VERY expensive mistake. If you're lucky, it will die a few metres down the road before permanent damage can be done. It *won't* run on gas!!! It used to be in winter you could put 5L of gas in to dilute the fuel and prevent gelling, but even that will do long-term damage to the fuel pump on modern common-rail diesels.

I used to have a plane but never put the wrong fuel in; it required 100LL. It had 60 gallons fuel capacity, at local prices, after refuelling, I would be carrying $450 of fuel in my wings... and it would burn it at the rate of $80 per hour. I'm retired now, so you can see why I no longer have it!

Back on topic, so far I don't bring a change of clothes in the car when I go out dressed, unless I have to change modes for other reasons during the outing. Maybe an old pair of jeans and a t-shirt wouldn't be a bad idea.