Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I was having a great time this weekend until...

Oh yeah, the movies are great especially for newbie dressers. The most you’ll have to interact with anyone is at the box office and maybe an usher, and the rest of the time you’re left alone in the dark which covers flaws in your presentation.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    Patience, I was filming photos in a city park with a friend. a hater stopped us and began berating us in front of others saying he'd called the police. While we waited for them, he called us all sorts of terrible names and took many photos. So, I replied in kind. Taking many of him. A policeman came, took both our names, gave me a verbal warning about public nudity, and drove off. Do did we.

But, I felt better knowing I had this evil, hater's photo and the day and time of his action in a police report.
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Oh, I can see the appeal of going to the movies dressed. It's a valid way to experience the thrill of being out. Also, we all have to tailor our activities to our limitations. It's like one's out wearing an invisibility cloak, or something.

BUT...

One's not really invisible. This unfortunate event could have happened practically anywhere, but when it happens in a movie theater, it's even more creepy, because now you're stuck in a room in the dark with what could be some deranged creep only feet away...and he'll be there seeing you leave. Quite a feminine problem, really.

As this kind of crap can happen anywhere, you might as well go anywhere. Yes, we can't all pull it off to the same extent, but I feel most of us will be taken seriously if we present ourselves tastefully and demonstrate conviction. I feel safer being out in well lit places with plenty of witnesses about, preferably with friends of mine who know about my dressing and see me dressed frequently.

Stephanie, there's a chance this person may have seen you before. It is possible you may meet again. We all have our little rituals but it pays not to be too predictable. Mix it up a little bit. Take a break and go back to your routine further down the line.

Doc, In your case, you 1) were not alone, 2) were in an open place with plenty of witnesses, 3) were apparently "nude" (please don't show me) in public. Also, there are some nuances to your dressing which may not apply to some of us.
    Last edited by Patience; 04-05-2019 at 05:00 PM. Reason: A statement or fact that explains why something is the way it is, why someone does, thinks, or says something.
    When haters hate, I celebrate!

Y'all are a lot more aggressive and braver than me. I would have done nothing, except worry about what site the pic would end up on and if any of my friends would see it.

Patience, I've been out A LOT for decades, and I still like going to a movie dressed. It's not so much the sitting in the theater, although you're still pretty visible. It's the going and coming, the dinner before, the drinks after. Besides, I just run out of things to do. My list is pretty short. Shopping, restaurants... after that I'm kinda stuck, but not ready to go home or back to the hotel. A movie is a pretty good option.

FWIW, I've only rarely been to a Walmart dressed since I became aware of the website "People of Walmart". Figured I'd end up on there.

Quote Originally Posted by Paula DAngelo View Post
    One thing that most people are forgetting or not realizing is this was not done in a public place, it was done in a semi-public place.

In the eyes of the law there is not a "semi public" space. A retail establishment, theater, or out on the street in all public, and generally people can take all the pictures and video recordings they want without permission.

YouTube is fun to watch with instances like this. I watched one where a guy and some woman got into a car accident. The woman was acting weird so the guy was videoing it. She kept hollering at him to stop it and even the cop that showed up told her he could record if he wanted to. Eventually the woman attacked the guy recording, got cuffed and charged with assault.

I agree, the guy was kinda creepy, but them if the OP was clocked as a crossdresser the guy taking the picture might feel the OP was creepy! It's going to happen. You dress and don't blend, some people are going to get weird about it.

I would have taken a selfie with him and made it perfectly clear to him that I would post this as my new boyfriend every where if he didn’t relate it it now or if I ever see it online.

Wherever there is a Sale or Macys, but mostly Baltimore MD
    Patience

I cannot disagree more, We should have the expectation of privacy as anyone else in public I've been to Walmart and Target and have seen some strange sites. Do I whip out the camera and take photos of them ? No. What if you started taking photos of random people. They would surly be upset. Place like restaurants, the movies etc, you expect to be able to have your personal space.
    Saying "
    we all have to tailor our activities to our limitations" is tantamount to giving people permission to be in our space and saying we don't have the right to be in public.

Kelly DeWinter
    Find Kelly at:
    Kelly's Blog
    Flicker
    [COLOR=#2e8b57

Um, I don't recall saying that we had less of a right to privacy than anyone else; and that second thing you highlighted simply meant that we don't all pass for females to the same degree and that each individual's particular living situation can affect the degree to which he can enjoy (or afford) to go out dressed.

That's true enough, isn't it?
    When haters hate, I celebrate!

Kelly, no one has any right to privacy while in public, including stores, theaters and restaurants. What you would like, or expect, and what is legal are often different.
    Now it would be great if one could walk around in public wearing what ever they pleased and people would just leave well enough alone, but that just doesn't happen, hence the "people of Walmart" pictures.

Stephanie,

How is your confidence? We can debate the action until the cows come home but how are you? I had an interaction with a very rude woman and it destroyed my confidence for quite a while. I was on my motorcycle last week and I noticed a couple girls take my picture in traffic, at first I was like WTF but then they didn't pay me any more attention. I think she was just taking a picture of the chick on a bike. I had a guy at a gas station hitting on me so I am pretty sure I just look like a girl on a bike. If it doesn't bother you chalk it up to someone being rude, if it has shaken your confidence give it time and keep getting out there. Be you and don't let anyone stop you.

Quote Originally Posted by Robertacd View Post
    Aunt Kelly, the laws vary by state.

In Washington state anyone can take your pictures in public. You are not guaranteed any more privacy in public than being in public affords you.

The state's voyeurism laws only protect people who are in a place where they "would have a reasonable expectation of privacy"
    That's why I qualified my opinion - the inconsistent definition of "privacy" and "public place". I do know that in some jurisdictions, any place that you must pay to gain entry is not "public", but as you say, it's far from consistent.

The main thing to remember is that we should be prepared to encounter the occasional asshole, who thinks he's entitled to abandon common decency because we are different.
    Calling bigotry an "opinion" is like calling arsenic a "flavor".

Lol next time it happens, I think I'll try what Micki and Laura suggested and take a selfie with them just to see how they react, fortunately that whole experience didn't ruin the movie for me. I saw Paper Moon (1974) and it was so good that it helped me get over it pretty quickly. And in response to your question Kim, I've been living as a woman for a few months now, so I feel very confident when I go out in public but the problem is that most of the time I don't have anyone to go with me when I do go out so I often feel very vulnerable and sometimes unsafe, especially when I'm out after dark. Fortunately, I have a small handful of friends who are there for me and the people I live with are very supportive and I've only had one other rude encounter with someone in the year and a half that I've been presenting so I feel like things could be a lot worse, although I must admit it is kind of weird living in a city that calls itself "progressive" yet people are still constantly staring at me every time I go out in a dress but at this point I don't really care anymore

Quote Originally Posted by Pumped View Post
    In the eyes of the law there is not a "semi public" space. A retail establishment, theater, or out on the street in all public, and generally people can take all the pictures and video recordings they want without permission.
    Maybe you should have continued to read what I posted, if you had you would have seen that I said that as far as the law is concerned there is no difference between a public space and a semi-public place. What I was saying is that since the space is owned by some entity (semi-private) they have the ability to control what happens. If they say stop taking photos, videos, or any other activity, they have that right and if the person refuses to act according to "their" rules then they have the right to have the offender removed which can include legal means if that is what's needed. The only time the person who's picture is being taken in public/semi-public spaces has legal options is based on how the photo is used, not on the picture being taken.
    Last edited by Paula DAngelo; 04-06-2019 at 05:54 AM.

Aspiring Member
    Things might be different in the UK about public filming or at least in Scotland which has its own legal system. This guy was convicted of filming women to get ideas for his cross dressing but there is no suggestion that he was doing it in their dressing room or under their skirts.

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/new...-fashion-tips/

So it might not be legal for people to photograph/film us (or anyone else) in Scotland without our permission.

Thats good to hear, realizing that I wasn't passing as well as I wanted too was a large barrier for me but I have made it past it.

Banned Read only
    Micki,
    I'm smiling at your comments as the first time I was early and got chatted up by the projectionist and later in the same show a guy next to me either fell asleep almost resting on me or he was making moves on me , his right knee certainly kept drifting in my direction .

I sat behind a lovely couple to see " First Man " ( Neil Armstrong's story ) , before the show the wife admitted remembering the time when it all happened , I agreed saying , " I guess we are showing our age abit !" The she added , " My husband loves all this stuff !" I replied , " That's great as long as he doesn't start doing a moon walk down the aisle during the performance " She replied , " Don't put any ideas in his head !" We all had a great laugh about it .

Stephanie,
    I'm glad you enjoyed the show , I must admit I don't have a problem going to the cinema by myself , my old home town is very safe .
    Last edited by Teresa; 04-06-2019 at 07:19 AM.

The few times it has happened to me I have asked photographer why don't you ask for a picture I might even give you a pose. Then take their pic as they run off.

Presuming your not in the UK, not acceptable here, would have been removed from the theatre with everyone's consent, disgusting

When you open your front door all guarantees are off.

Quote Originally Posted by susan54 View Post
    Things might be different in the UK about public filming or at least in Scotland which has its own legal system. This guy was convicted of filming women to get ideas for his cross dressing but there is no suggestion that he was doing it in their dressing room or under their skirts.

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/new...-fashion-tips/

So it might not be legal for people to photograph/film us (or anyone else) in Scotland without our permission.
    I feel like there is something missing from that article. It did mention that the women noticed the camera pointed “at their waist and legs”. That sounds like he was trying to get a shot in their skirts. Especially if they were seated.

Life is more fun in heels Genifer Teal's Avatar
    Take a photo of them and see how they like it.

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    A Movie theater is a public place.
    Who goes there? The public.
    A bar or eating establishment may be owned privately but its a public gathering place so anywhere you go people are taking pics so not much you can do.
    If you don't like people taking pics in Portland just stage a march and I'm sure the local nut jobs would support you taking the rights away from law abiding citizens.

Personally I think you need to get over yourself.

What if....
    What if the "offender was taking a selfie with his date, and you were caught in the background?

I'm not saying he was, but I think that people are becoming used to being 'offended' by the actions or words of others.

I'm not saying that the OP doesn't have the right to feel uneasy, but, she did go out in public dressed, and would be seen by many people. Is the fact that someone took a pic any different from people seeing her? What about traffic cams, or the surveillance cams at ATM's, or any surveillance cams in any establishment that we go into. Are they not also recording your image?

So some doofus took a pic in a public venue, so what? Do you know the guy? Is he going to plaster your pic on Facebook? Are your workmates going to see it and say "Oh sh*t, it's Bob, from Accounting???"
    Before you can love another, you must first like yourself

I Aim To Misbehave

Labels belong on BOXES, not PEOPLE!

mini kilted chick t-girlxsophie's Avatar
    Personally I'd rather not guess what they are doing with the pics,best we don't know tbh

Sophie
    We look to Scotland,for all our Ideas of Civilisation-Voltaire

========================================

A woman who loves to wear beautiful clothes is like a flower.
    A man who loves to emulate these women is a special flower-a rose
    Facebook:Sophie Johnson

Yes, a private place would be a private club or a private party. Any place that's open to the public is a public place. Laws may vary in different places?

I can see how an unexpected photo shoot could seem threatening but we're kind of like rock stars when we dress in public. And some people might feel like paparazzi. I don't know how I'd react if a total stranger took photos of me when stepping out. But I wouldn't make a big deal out of it myself.
    "You're the only one to see the changes you take yourself through", Stevie Wonder