Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Voice Training

Banned Read only
    Jeri Ann,
    I apologise , I had no intentions of derailing a very good informative thread , which I'm reading with interest . As you know I am out full time and have found coughing and sneezing a tricky one to deal with . Maybe I should ask the question of how others deal with it in a separate thread if I'm permitted to do so .

Teresa,

By all means start a new thread if you wish. The topic of sneezing/coughing has been discussed in the past but I sure there will be new input. However, since coughing/sneezing is not a transsexual specific topic, the thread will need to be in another section of the forum.

There may even be some ciswomen who can benefit from the advice. Some women have pretty nasty coughs and sneezes.
    Last edited by Jeri Ann; 04-14-2019 at 07:16 AM.

I took lessons from a professional voice instructor. I have never been misgendered on the phone since. But honestly I think a lot of it also has to do with your starting point. If your natural male pitch is very low to begin with, I don’t know that there’s all that you can really do. My pre-transition male voice was at around 160 Hz, which is quite high for a guy. So raising it to 230 Hz was pretty easy. Using my female voice is very natural and requires virtually no effort now after years of using it. Even after major surgery I could speak in my female voice easily. Sneezing, coughing, laughing, screaming... I can do all those things easily in a female voice too. But again, my natural male laugh was so feminine to begin with, that growing up as a kid, my dad used to tell me to stop laughing like a girl!

So yeah... my advice is to take voice lessons from a pro, but if your pitch is very very low to begin with, I don’t know what you can do other than voice surgery, which is scary.

Aspiring Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeri Ann View Post
    This is one of the most serious issues that transsexuals deal with. Painful and expensive electrolysis, facial surgery, breast augmentation and GRS are, in reality, easier to achieve for some than a female voice. Developing a female voice that is totally sustainable and convincing is the holy grail for transwomen.

So far this has been one of the most informative and useful threads for those in transition because it affects the quality of life.

Katya thank you for this thread.
    Hi Jeri Ann,

I am the one grateful for all the responses. As being a non-binary, I am aware that my transition is different than that of most on this sub forum. I am 15 months into electrolysis and hormones but no plans for any other procedures as I see it. I still don't identify as a woman but I am not comfortable to be labeled by others as a man.... When it comes to voice, being called mam would be preferred over Sir, Mr. for me. I don't expect to be identified as something other than binary based on my voice. For the looks. I have my way of dressing and presenting but voice is something I am willing to spend time to get better from my 120Hz average male voice.
    I see the light in the end of the tunnel when it comes to electrolysis. Once done, I will have time/money on professional help with the voice.
    Last edited by Katya@; 04-16-2019 at 03:51 PM.

Utah, north of West Jordan, south of North Salt Lake & west of South Salt Lake
    I have one more reason to suggest having a professional involved and that has to do with pitch. I didn't think I was "tone deaf" but I was listening to a woman on TV and decided she had a fairly low pitch to her voice. I opened the voice pitch analyzer on my phone and let it record her voice only to discover that her pitch was much higher overall than I imagined. A voice coach would be able to listen to me and where I thought I was doing well, could more accurately define what was coming out of my mouth. I just don't have an ear for pitch and the help will be important if I ever intend to make progress on building a feminine voice.
    Sarah
    Being transgender isn't a lifestyle choice. How you deal with it is.

Banned Read only
    Sarah,
    This was my point about not hearing clearly and once having hearing aids fitted suddenly finding you can clearly hear your own voice . It does make a huge difference as my problem was most of the higher frequencies were over 50% down all I was aware of were base notes . The fact I can hear what I'm saying now gives me the opportunity to control my voice more .

Hearing aids are not professional training. I have $2,500 sound studio (OK, it's an isolation booth and a stack of pro gear) that I use for my voiceover work. It does a great job of letting me hear "what I really sound like", but without a knowledgeable coach, I'm not going to be able to talk like a girl. I know this because I do use my voice professionally and will sometimes have to voice female characters in a book narration. What I put out is, maybe, just enough for the listener to visualize the character among all the others I give voice to. In other words, I anticipate a real eye-opening when I get to the voice coaching part of my transition.
    Calling bigotry an "opinion" is like calling arsenic a "flavor".

Banned Read only
    Kelly,
    I feel you missed my point , I didn't suggest they were for professional tuition ,I was just commenting on the revelation of clearly hearing your own voice which is obviuosly something I hadn't experienced for some time . It does make a huge difference to being able to vary your voice , I was only aware of sensing bass tones before .

Evenso I still don't find the voice the major problem when out in the RW , if the visual message is right other telltales tend to be overridden .

I remember the first time I hear my voice in a tape recording, it was like a woman. I was in several singer chorus and groups and throng to be baritone that always told me to be a tenor so I learned to impose the voice making it darker and sharp. I always had problems to reach height pitch tones as the bee goes singer.
    Since I'm in hormones something's had changed that now I can reach those high pith sounds so it has been easy for me to make a thinner voice but as Jeri said, I gave up trying a more woman's voice.
    As i can get rid yet of the gray of my beard and moustache, i hate the concealer so my daily life is with just eyeliner, mascara and lip stick.
    I think people needs to know what a trasgender is so my voice is natural near a woman's voice, as my face too.
    The problems is when we have to fast react or deal with some moments in our life when is impossible to fake because is our unconcious taking control.
    I think that we must be concious a out we were men, in my case for around 50 years so it's hard to live lying with my voice. I think hormones help a bit but at the end of the day is about honesty...this is what I am and my voice...
    HRT 042018; Full time 032019
    Orchiectomy 062020; gender& name legal changed 102020
    Electrolysis face begins 082019, in genitals for GCS 062021
    Breast augmentation surgery 012022
    GCS 072022; BBL 022023; GCS revision 04203;END TRANSITION

Banned Read only
    Vanessa,
    I do think your last line makes a good point , honestly accept yourself , others do respect you for it . I know when I stood up in front of a full lecture theatre to talk about my life and how the NHs had helped , I had to be me , I couldn't fake it for that length of time .

Please avoid derailing this thread! It is not about self acceptance or visual clues. Katya expressed frustration at being misgendered on the phone and has asked for feedback from those who have successfully changed their voice. If you can contribute in this way, please do so. Again, keep to the topic of the original post.

Well Katya, I can't say I am totally "successful", but have made progress using Katy Perez online and now can speak pretty consistently around 220hz. i have had years of choir training, but still need to develop more confidence when communicating in public. As Jeri Ann and others have stated, a lot of other cues need to line up to be truly successful. Practice, Practice, Practice and don't get discouraged.
    WARNING:Any institutions or individuals using this site or any of its associated sites for studies , projects or any other reasons You DO NOT have permission to use any of my profile or pictures in any form or forum posts both current and future. If you have or do, it will be considered a violation of my privacy and will be subject to legal action.

Aspiring Member
    I wanted to say that I am very thankful for all the responses so far. I have been reading each one as soon as it was posted. Even the topic of accepting own voice is an interesting in and by itself but I still keep working on mine. I don't care if it will take 2, or 4 years. I have time. Electrolysis is my #1 priority and I hope to be fully done by the end of the year. I will think about professional voice help afterwards. Right now, my average voice with trying is at 135Hz., and natural is around 120Hz. So I have a long way to climb up there.
    Katya

I was fortunate enough to have adult speech training because my voice was excessively monotone and insurance would pay for it. Not only do I have the modulation of a woman, but it gets more pronounced when I'm tired or stressed.

Aspiring Member
    I need to look into insurance when I get there. I have otherwise very good coverage. Money is part of it but time is another. I need to budget both for the sake of my marriage.

I have been able to get a good female voice by raising the pitch and then narrowing the vocal chamber using tongue and palate and listening for the pitch and overtones that I wanted to hear. I should mention that I am a pro musician and have perfect pitch (most of the time) and have been singing for a number of years, so this is not foreign to me. I used a solid state recorder to check on myself, but here's the weird thing. I was able to get a lovely fem voice which scared me so much that I erased the recording, gave away the recorder and never have tried it again.
    Be careful what you wish for.
    ALWAYS plan for the worst, then you can be pleasantly surprised if something else happens!

"The important thing about the bear is not how well she dances, but that she dances at all." - Old Russian Proverb (with a gender change)

"Be careful what you wish for."

I can easily pass as a woman now. But not as a guy. Not on the phone. I'm OK with that.