Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What was your best experience out shopping?

What was your best experience out shopping?

Last week I finally got the nerve to go into a wig store and buy me a real wig. Now here is a little back story. My wife has only seen me with a cheap Halloween wig and she said to me I would love you with a real wig and look more natural. So everyday I would drive by this wig store and and think to myself I want to go in there and see what they have. Well me being chicken I would drive in and park and my heart beating fast I would talk myself out of going in. This would go on for weeks like once a week I would make up my mind and go do it but end result I would chicken out. I would tell my wife what I was doing and she just tell me it's ok you will do it one day. Ok so last week I told myself Victoria has to win today put on your big girl panties on and go for it. So I parked and sat there for a minute looking around to see if people will see me and I was trying to talk myself out of it again but I said Victoria has to win. So I got out of my car and started walking to the door. My heart feels like it's about to pop out of my chest. I opened the door and I felt ok I walked in and I guess the sales person was in another room at the time and I was the only one in there. I looked around and saw all the beautiful wigs and I felt happy and was like this is not so bad. Until I heard the sales lady so may I help you and my heart stopped. I turned to her and said to myself this is it you got this. The words I said took forever to come out as j was so nervous I am looking for a wig. The lady was about in her 60s and assuming I was looking for something male because I was in my male self. I don't have panties big enough to out dressed yet lol. So I told the lady I was looking for a female wig I am a crossdresser. She just smiled and said ok I understand. So she asked what I was looking for and I told here and she asked me to sit down. At this time I am about to pass out but they way she was talking to me made me calm down. We picked out about 50 wigs one by one she would put them on me and fix the hair style and I just looked in the mirror and seeing how beautiful I looked. At this time am starting to have fun. I opened up to the lady and started talk to her and telling her about Victoria. She was very polite and respectful. She told me her picks of wigs that she thought looked best on me and we both came to agreement that the one I bought was they best loved it and so did she. I was there for a hour and it turn out to be the best hour of my life. She told me she would like to meet Victoria one day. Also they do makeup and I told her I may have to take her up on that offer because I can't do makeup lol. But this has to be the best experience I have had besides me telling my wife my crossdressing side.

Wow! That is so wonderful! My one trip for a professional wig fitting was equally positive. When You think about it, It makes sense, doesn't it? Wig shops cater to people with special challenges in the appearance of their hair. Cross dressers are a part of that group. Why wouldn't they accommodate customers who come in for their services?

I hope you will post again and let us know your wife's reaction to your new look.
    I am a vessel of the goddess. Let me express my calling to a feminine life through nurturing love and relatedness.

Lol congrats. Wig shops are one place you don’t really have to worry about. Do you have any idea how many crossdressers and drag queens they see come through a good wig shop?

The lady at the shop told me I was her first crossdresser I didn't think to ask if she was the owner but overall I had a blast. I haven't dressed yet with the new wig because of my wife's sister staying with us for a week but I can't wait till she leaves and let Victoria come out lol.

What a wonderful story, my most interesting outing was getting my hair cut and set many years ago.

I wore it for nearly five weeks.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Banned Read only
    Victoria,
    The words of the first man stepping on the moon came to mind , that was a great step to take, well done . So now you've got some confidence now you know you have a wig that works . So maybe think about getting a colour check done in a cosmetic store , that will be another big step and build more confidence . My first time was funny as as I was in drab , I sat in a booth that was open to customers , the SA was lovely she got so carried away she that she applied foundation to the whole left side of my face . She then went onto show me how to apply powder , all the time I could see customers turning to take a second look as they passed by .

The other story that always makes me smile was when I bought my first selection of shoes from a retail shop , again I was in drab . I picked out the ones I really needed to get me started and then asked the SA if I could try some boots on . Just as she was zipping them up and asking me to stand up we both became aware of a male customer standing staring at us with his lower jaw scraping the floor . The SA began to giggle and couldn't help myself , it took us several minutes to get over it , by then we were really getting on well , she even treased me into buying some shoes from the sale rack . I still have them and every time I wear them I have to smile to myself .

It's hard to say which is my best experience , they divide between wonderful and great fun , I really have had some fun with SAs but I've never had a single bad experience .
    Last edited by Teresa; 04-11-2019 at 11:27 AM.

Congrats on your new wig!

Probably my most memorable shopping experience would be a couple years ago with our local CD group. We have a monthly meeting and organizers will sometimes plan other things outside of the motel. Every so often they'll plan a trip to The Dress Barn. It is all set up ahead of time with the particular store to let us in to shop after they close. I probably tried on dozen or so dresses and bought 4 or 5! Which is a record for me! I'm usually pretty cheap as I think how silly to spend so much on things to hang in the closet. But this night was different. I still have them and have worn some of them out to events.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, we're so proud (seriously, I'm proud of you!)

But c'mon now … spill it, girl!

Tell us about the wig! Style, color, cost, natural or synthetic, yadda yadda. Inquiring minds want to hear all of the details!

So excited for you!

Victoria,

There's two that spring to mind. The first echos Teresa's time having her makeup done; I was dressed and when into Boots to have a foundation match. I little nervous but like Teresa's experience the SA was not just professional but totally engaging as well. Treated me just like any other customer and as she went about her task we chatted about all sorts. It also helped reinforce the notion that folks are too busy to take notice. I saw no-one glancing my way, folks just walked straight by.

The second was like yours, a trip to a wig store last year. I'd spent countless hours out and about and wasn't worried about going in. I was served by a male SA who asked me if I had something in mind which I did and as her produced 4 or 5 again we just chatted away, person to person. I must admit that seeing myself in a shorter wig for the first time in the mirror was just lovely and the icing was... there was a sale on!!

I must admit to getting a real sense of pleasure when I get the opportunity to chat to someone like an SA. When someone just interacts with you as a person and not a CD'er it helps make my day. I hope it's something you can experience in the future.
    Who dares wears Get in, get out without being noticed

Thank you everyone I feel it was a big step for me. It's weird I had fear to go to a wig store and buy a wig but I have no problem going to buy bras and panties.

Teresa the wig store was also a cosmetic store too and I did ask questions and the lady would have been glad to help me. I would love to have my make up done but baby steps for me maybe I can stop by one day and ask if they can do a private sit for me when they close. Lol

[SIZE=1]- - - Updated - - -[/SIZE]

Macey it is a natural full cap. It's a little pass shoulder length on me about the same length of my wife's hair but hers is a bit longer. It's a blonde with dark roots showing for that more natural look. Love the fact that I can style it in any way. Part in the center put into a ponytail part to one side I just fell in love with with some many way to style it. I was originally looking for black hair to match my wife's hair and straight. When my wife straight her hair I am like damn I want to look like you lol. Also the other wig I liked was like a light red color that the lady said looked really good on me. The price of it was 196.00 that she gave me a 10% discount.

Did they give you any care instructions? Human hair generally requires a bit more care and maintenance. I don’t generally recommend as a first purchase but as long as you’re happy with it that’s great.

Victoria, so exciting! I hope there may be photos down the road

mini kilted chick t-girlxsophie's Avatar
    Has to be my first time ever trying on clothes en femme,hard to believe was only 2 years ago in Primark,was absolutely no problem and staff couldn't have been nicer,noñe of the ladies in queue were bothered either.It left me kicking myself wondering why I hadn't tried it long before

Sophie
    We look to Scotland,for all our Ideas of Civilisation-Voltaire

========================================

A woman who loves to wear beautiful clothes is like a flower.
    A man who loves to emulate these women is a special flower-a rose
    Facebook:Sophie Johnson

I don't think a salesperson would say no to a sale. Sounds like a great person which likely there are more than we think. In a sales position like that they see and hear a lot.

Congrats Victoria. Another step forward. It sounds like you had a wonderful time.

I can't pick one shopping experience and say it is the best. One sad note for me is that my favorite store just closed. Working on a new favorite now.

Omg what a delightful story Victoria. So lovely. It brought a smile to my heart.

I’ve had a couple memorable stories out shopping. One time I went out looking for my first heels and walked timidly in the store and took my time making into the women’s section. The SA walked over to me and asked if I needed anything. She was so wonderful and sweet to this shy boy looking for the right shoes to turn him into a princess. Hehe. Anywhoo. I told her I was looking for shoes for a costume party and that I was going as a girl. She asked what my dress looked like and then proceeded to show me all kinds of cute shoes, trying them on and walking around in the store. She complimented me telling me how well I could handle the 5 inch heels.
    Last edited by CrossKimmy; 04-11-2019 at 04:21 PM. Reason: More info

Banned Read only
    The only time I came close to having personal service was buying a wig. It was the early 1980's. Total lack of confidence, so I went to K-Mart to buy a wig for Halloween. Not a Halloween wig, but, a woman's wig. I was attended to by a young woman, probably in her early to mid twenties. I was in my early 30's. She thought it was great. Although it was under the guise of Halloween it was both nerve racking and fun.

The second wig I bought was at a shop own or at least attended to by an older Korean woman. I think she probably did not understand why the heck a guy would want to wear a woman's wig even though it was also around a Halloween. Over the years I've gone from brunette to blond to grey.

A big step Victoria. Well done! Buying a wig is easier if you go dressed and made up as you can see how the wig blends with your style. Wig shops are very friendly places I find. I hope you experience acceptance when you are dressed in the future. I have no problems whether buying clothes make up wigs or whatever. Looking good and blending in is such a big help. Your wig shop sounds a great place for you to have a nice make up and develop your femme style. Enjoy! Xx

Sometimes it's the sales experience that is wonderful, and sometimes it's the comments by other customers.

A couple of year ago, I decided that I wanted a Wonder Woman costume for Halloween. I had delayed so long that I couldn't be sure of getting the costume in time if I ordered online. So, I went to one of the local "pop-up" Spirit Halloween stores. I found a WW costume that I liked, but the largest size was an "L". I thought I would need an "XL" I decided to take the costume to the dressing room to try on. The costume seemed to be too small, but it did have a lot of stretch. I thought if I could zip it up, I could make it work, but the zipper was too hard to reach.

There was a 30 something mom in the changing area who was helping her 10-year old daughter pick out a costume. Would I, should I, could I ask the mom for a zip assist with her daughter standing right there? I decided that I could, and I waited until the daughter went into the dressing room and asked the mom to zip me up. She zipped me up without and snickering or giving me the evil eye or anything. I went back to my dressing room and checked out the fit in the mirror. I didn't want to take too long, because I didn't want to get stuck zipped in and have to go out into the public part of the store to get someone to unzip me. I went back to the mom and had her unzip me. She said, "That looks great on you. You really should get it."

After I changed out of the costume and got re-dressed, I met the mom and her daughter right outside the dressing room area. The mom told me again that I should really get the costume, and that her daughter agreed. I don't even know when the daughter saw me in the costume.

Anyhow, I got the costume and it was a big hit. I know, if there's no picture it didn't happen, so I'll look for a pic with me as WW.

Three girls wore different WW costumes. I'm the WW on the right. And here, I'm the one on the left.
    Last edited by Sometimes Steffi; 04-11-2019 at 08:24 PM.
    Hi, I'm Steffi and I'm a crossdresser... And I accept and celebrate both sides of me. Or, maybe I'm gender fluid.

The best experience shopping I had was 35 years ago .
    I went into a girdle store and said I wanted an "all in one for my wife".
    Well when I told them the size they figured it was for me.
    The two older women said "if it's for you, don't feel uncomfortable, let us measure for the best fit".
    It was so cool, they measured me and I got a perfect fitting All-in-one which I still have, So cool!
    "This is ME" I am not CRAZY, I'm just a GUY who likes dresses!
    Since allot of men dress up in woman's clothing that makes it a manly thing to do!
    Much more fun than fishing.
    I do construction like house building and I love CD-ing, what's the difference?

TrueNorth Strong & Fierce Princess Chantal's Avatar
    The top two shopping experiences oddly both happened during group shopping outings prior to a monthly crossdressing social club meeting involving first timers.
    One shopping trip had a group of 5 of us cds in which we all got into one vehicle. We all had plenty of public experiences except for Krystal. Krystal was sporting her new glue on breast forms in which we all teased her about being quite nippily as her nipples were showing cause of not wearing a bra. The teasing were like cold weather related jokes, her looking aroused, and her being an Austin Powers femmebot with the boob guns! Well turns out the first item she ever tried on and purchased was a padded bra due to our teasing!
    The other trip involved 3 car loads of group members going to a large busy mall (if I recall right it was 8 of us cds/tg and 1 gg) with one again being her first outing. As we were arranging our meet back location and time prior to breaking off into smaller groups, the first time outing cd wandered off. Well instead of breaking into shopping groups we became searching groups. After spending over an hour unsuccessfully searching, we did not know what to do. Do we go to the service desk and ask for them to page on the loud speaker something like “Christie L please meet the Masquerade group at centre court”? As a last thought one friend decided to go check to see if Christie was outside in the parking lot where we parked. Thankfully she was there with a couple small Claire’s shopping bags. Turned out that she wandered on into Claire’s to seek out some of the magnetic clip-on earrings (that I mentioned during a previous month meeting) while we were making the arrangements. After making the purchase she got spooked by a mall security person gazing at her and raced out to the cars!
    Last edited by Princess Chantal; 04-11-2019 at 09:45 PM.

Yes, the WW costume with the skirt looks great! Better balance between top and bottom.

Silver Member
    As I read your account, I was convinced your sales lady had dealt with CDs before, so I was surprised when you said you were her first. Your story is a beautiful one and it further reinforces my theory that female sales staff enjoy helpjng people like us find ourselves in the feminine. I think she sees many women with self image issues that are helped immensely by the changes a wig can bring, and it appears she saw you as having a similar need.

It's wonderful that you conquered your fears, went in, and ended up having fun. 50 wigs is an epic dress-up session! That sounds like so much fun it will be hard to duplicate it going forward, but I do know it will get easier to make that trip through the front door. I hope your wonderful wife enjoys what your wig does for you, both outside and inside.

I think my first break through shopping experience was at the Shoe Dept about 5 years ago. I was looking at heels and an SA asked me who I was looking for and I told her for myself. She told me to try on some shoes and she would get back to me. So I tried on several and walked in them a bit. And then more people were suddenly in the store and I was walking in heels as the walked passed me!

Unfortunately, the next time I went to the Shoe Dept that SA was no longer there. I was looking at women's shoes and tried on a pair. Then I noticed two SAs were whispering to each other and snickering behind my back. Never went back there again!
    "You're the only one to see the changes you take yourself through", Stevie Wonder

I was shopping for shoes and found a couple pair. At checkout, as much as I tried to disguise my voice, she immediately knew. Her smile was a relief. She complimented my eye makeup and outfit. I thanked her. She noticed I was wearing hose and frowned. I smiled and told her I always wore hose and so should she. She just smiled. She gave me a 10% discount too. Yes, a good day. I will go back.