Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dresses vs. Pants

Dresses vs. Pants

There was an earlier post if dresses are dead. Yes they are not as prevalent as before but they are still going strong.
    Let's face it, dresses are a hassle. To look right you need hose, and the other accessories. Now does that stop us, probably not. But if we had to dress every day it would be easier to slip on a pair of jeans. Also some women think they have a problem with their body image their legs are too thin or too fat etc. It is also a sign of when we were raised. I was a 50s-early 60s child my mother always wore skirts or dresses especially to church or work. Now anything is acceptable especially in the winter. It's just a sign of the times. Just wear what you want and don't worry about others do.
    Last edited by Nikki A.; 04-12-2019 at 09:14 AM.

Yes. Your last sentence sums it up perfectly. I’m mostly a skirt and blouse or top gal, but one never knows.

I too grew up in a home wear my mom almost always wore a dress and when I began to feel this way that's all I wanted to wear.
    I felt that way up until a few years ago. This happened after I had come out to my wife and we had been members of a Tri-Ess chapter for a few years. At first it was always dresses or skirts with heels and hose, but then as I began to feel more "natural" with my dressing something happened. As Nikki said, it was just easier to slip on a pair of slacks or jeans, and for me, leggings as well, especially when the weather was colder or I was not going anywhere in particular. For a trip to the grocery store it seemed too much to put on a dress. It seemed out of place. Now that we have moved to NEPA it's certainly that way. I rarely see any women wearing dresses in this area and so to blend in, neither do I. They hang in my closet and it's sometimes disheartening to look at them, think of how they look on me and how I feel in them, and then choose pants because I'm going to Walmart, not a fancy restaurant.
    I have a drawer full of stockings and garter belts, thi-hi's and pantyhose and find I don't wear them much anymore. Somehow I've become content being more like other women. On one hand it's comforting realizing how natural this all feels now, but on the other I long for the days when I would slip into a pair of sheer stockings, step into a lovely dress, do my makeup to perfection and step out the door feeling ultra feminine and sexy. Don't misunderstand, I still feel very feminine and sometimes sexy, but there is a distinct difference when in a lovely dress and heels.
    I just need to find a venue appropriate for my dresses. Until then I'll wear my other clothes and continue to dream in my closet.
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    I was born in the early 50s and my Mother always wore dresses or skirts.
    If she was going golfing she would wear shorts sometimes.
    Can't say I ever saw her wear a pair of pants.
    What she wore has no bearing on what I wear.

Platinum Member
    I remember my mom making the transition from house dresses to pants ....in the late 60's. She never looked back I can't blame her. Dresses were and are not always practical, but they can be fun and I think you'll see most women choosing to wear dresses for fun rather than routine life.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

I accept myself as is Gillian Gigs's Avatar
    I too am a child of the 60's, the only time I saw my mother in pants was when we were camping, the rest of the time it was dresses. Personally I think that skirts make more sense for everyone in the summer. They are cool, and allow for good air circulation, so what if stockings are not worn.
    I like myself, regardless of the packaging that I may come in! It's what is on the inside of the package that counts!

Both have their place and I wear whatever is appropriate and convenient.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Banned Read only
    I was born in the 60's, My mom wore slacks pretty much everyday, and she always wore pantyhose under her slacks.

She only ever wore a dress to church and on special occasions.

I remember my mom reminiscing proudly about being the first woman to wear shorts on Main street in her small town. She was always a fashion plate. She passed away some time ago, but I remember that she always wore dresses to work and church until the day she retired.
    I am a vessel of the goddess. Let me express my calling to a feminine life through nurturing love and relatedness.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    I don't recall what my mother wore. Mostly, Sherry tries to recreate the looks of women/girls I find attractive/sexy.

I don't recall ever thinking of my mom or sister in that way!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

I was raised in the 60's and 70's. My grandmother only wore dresses and skirts. My mom wore dresses to work most days.

Unless I am doing projects when dressed I prefer dresses and skirts. That is my preference that I enjoy and will continue with.

My wife may wear a skirt once or twice a year.

What is really nice is having all the choices available.

I agree with doc that is weird to compare your dressing to mothers and sisters. My dressing is influenced from girls I like in high school, college, and current trends. Dresses are a hassle, that is why I prefer skirts

Silver Member Majella St Gerard's Avatar
    Why would I want to dress like my mother, she was no fashion plate and was quite overweight. I'm influenced by what I find attractive, I'm more influenced by my wife's style even though my style is more girlie than hers, that's why she thinks Gerri is too sassy, I out girl her🤪.

Like many of you, I prefer a dress but will wear a feminine pant suit now and then. But...I will not wear jeans (except capri's) in female mode though. Now I do wear women's jeans in male mode! But they don't look like girl jeans as they are plain jeans size 18 short.

I will not give up my dresses or skirts. I have no female jeans, leggings, shorts, etc.

When you're young you are influenced by your parents. Unlike Majella's mom, my mother was quite a good looking woman. She got divorced when I was very young and I was raised by her and my grandmother. I also had an aunt that owned a bridal shop (that I used to vacuum once a week). It's not that I dress like she did, but she did influence me in that a woman should be aware of what she is wearing and look her best.
    I do prefer dresses and skirts when out most times, but I do appreciate leggings and jeans also.

Silver Member
    They make casual dresses that don't require hose, and long dresses that hide the legs. GGs still don't seem interested in them, except some here and there during the summer. I have never found pants to be comfortable in either gender, and am surprised the vast majority of GGs find them to be comfortable (especially when it comes to us people of girth.)

I really like the clothes and styles I grew up with and saw women around me wear (late 70s to early 90s.) Today's modern fashion doesn't hold any real appeal to me. If I look a bit dated when I am dressed... oh well.

Well, I wear pants and top most of the time! I go to church usually in a skirt and top but am starting to notice more dresses lately! Skirt and top or dress to the counselor! Where I live, most women wear a dress to church! Side note: I was 5-6 when I asked for a dress which I never got! When my mom wore her first pants suit,(I was in middle school) I told her she was not my mom, my mom wears dresses! LOL I believe I said that because I did not get my dress! Wear what you want and enjoy! Hugs Lana Mae
    Life is worth living!
    "Foxy lady! You look so good!!" Jimi Hendrix

Aspiring Member
    I was born in the 1950s and did not see my mother in trousers until my 20s. I wear a dress almost every day, and usually for most or all of the day. I have lots of skirts, blouses, tops but I rarely wear these. I have a thing about dresses and recently bought dress no. 1000. I do not understand why women wear trousers on hot humid days - even if they are being modest about their legs they could wear maxis. I own women's trousers but can't remember when I last wore a pair. Dresses not only allow air circulation - many of them are loose at the waist and if it is humid the only restriction at the waist (if you don't wear tights - and you wouldn't in that weather) - the only restriction at the waist is panties. I have had days in cities in oppressive heat when I have changed from male mode in trousers to male mode in skirt and the relief is huge in terms of comfort.

Gold Member
    I was a 50's child growing up. And Yes, my mom wore a dress or a skirt most of the time.
    The only time she wore slacks was when she was doing garden work.
    No for my self, I rather be n a dress or a skirt around the house, than pants.
    Rader

As a kid growing up in th 60's all the women in the house always wore dresses or skirts and blouses. Come to think of it, I don't remember seeing any women anywhere, in pants back then. Jump ahead 50 years, I see very few women in dresses or skirts. Then again I live in the middle of nowhere and most women are in Carharts and workboots. As a CD I would prefer a pretty dress or a skirt and blouse, stockings and heels. To blend in it's Carharts.

I'm mostly a Jean's and blouse kind of girl, but I love dressing up whenever possible. Usually it's a skirt, mainly because I feel more comfortable in a skirt, but I love dresses, too. It depends on where I'm going and what I'm doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Nikki A. View Post
    Let's face it, dresses are a hassle. To look right you need hose, and the other accessories.
    Right, because we know that women must wear hosiery in order to look right.

I'm seriously feeling the need to feel sorry for y'all who live in places where the dress has apparently disappeared. Newsflash, SoCal is awash in women wearing dresses, often (gasp!) without hosiery. They actually pull it off quite amazingly. It is almost surprising that more here don't move in order to be able to view women who meet their stylistic standards.

Perhaps you are. No wonder real estate is so pricey in California!!!
    Like a corpse deep in the earth I'm so alone, restless thoughts torment my soul, as fears they lay confirmed, but my life has always been this way - Virginia Astley, "Some Small Hope" (1986)
    Sunlight falls, my wings open wide. There's a beauty here I cannot deny - David Sylvian, "Orpheus" (1987)

Platinum Member
    I wear pants all the time...when I'm in guy mode. If I am cross dressing why would I ever want to wear women's pants? I know..it's comfort. If I want comfort I'll wear my cut off guys jeans and a tee shirt. No socks or footwear. Go unshaven for several days. If Stephanie wants to come out and show herself, she'll be in a pretty dress, hosiery and heels. If I had the skin complexion on my legs like I had in my twenties maybe I would forego the hosiery. Now? Time has taken its toll. Spider veins galore.

I'll never give up wearing my dresses!
    My Flickr page is at https://www.flickr.com/photos/156828173@N07/