Thread: Can't avaoid the coughs and sneezes !

Banned Read only

Can't avoid the coughs and sneezes !

This thread comes out of a comment from the TS section discussing voice control . I raised the point which has been mentioned before about the inablilty to control the involuntary exhalation from a cough or sneeze . No matter how controlled your voice might be nothing can stop the male lung capacity and stronger muscles from the obvious male sound when it's passed through the vocal chords and throat .

It may appear to be a light hearted problem but when you're full time it is a tricky problem to deal with . I usually end up biting my tongue ( literally ) when trying to stifle a sneeze and resort to any medication when a niggling cough starts . The last time I had a problem was sitting in a cinema during a fairly quite scene and I was trying so hard to control a sneeze in doing so I must have gulped air and ended up with hiccups .

Any thoughts on coughs and sneezes and dealing with them ? Please remember this is not about voice control that is a differnt issue .

I think sometimes to avoid what you are talking about is to just hold your breath and go run and hide.

It is something you can not avoid.

After all it is involuntary. :-)
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

There's that smile! CarlaWestin's Avatar
    Teresa, I've met a lot of women with mannish attributes. Height, musculature, traditionally male endeavors, etc.... I wouldn't worry about it.
    I have a transitioned friend at work that truly has all the bases covered. She presents beautifully in front of groups. But, there are the lingering
    markers that just somehow transmit MALE. That's fine with me. She's a beautiful person and my friend. Cough, sneeze or fart if you want to.
    It's not that big an issue.

Oh, almost forgot. Gesundheit!
    I've waited so long for this time. Makeup is so frustrating. Shaking hands and I look so old. This was a mistake.
    My new maid's outfit is cute. Sure fits tight.
    And then I step into the bedroom and in the mirror, I see a beautiful woman looking back at me.
    Smile, Honey! You look fabulous!

I've been told that it's dangerous to withhold a sneeze. During allergy season I make sure I have a small pack of tissues in my purse. I also have a lifesaver or two with me in case I get a tickle in my throat so I can ease the cough. Just one of those little "ladylike" things I was unintentionally taught as a small child.
    "you are a strange species and there are many out there;shall I tell you what I find beautiful about you ,you are at your best when things are at their worst" ...[ Starman]
    It may of course be a bit disturbing to sense that one is really not so firmly anchored to the gender one was born into.

Banned Read only
    Carla,
    OK I was avoiding all involuntary noises ( trust you to pick up on the one I missed ) . the point is we may be able to control the voice but not oral involuntary noises .

Bev ,
    Not easy when in the centre of a full cinema !

Lisa,
    The problem I find when using tissues is seeing how much makeup has been removed when using a tissue , I guess none of us are perfect women do have very similar problems . The one to really avoid is not totally forgetting yourself and sound like a foghorn when you do blow your nose . I'm not sure if it's a reaction to makeup but I do get an annoying sniffle so I've adopted the GG thing of tucking a tissue up my sleeve ( no not in my bra !!).

I acknowledge that this isn't about voice control, but bear with me as I explain.
    When I work on my voice I have practiced resonating in my nasal cavity rather than my throat. If I tense up my throat to hold it still and force the sound to resonate in my nasal cavity, it comes out about a half of an octave higher. I practice in the car when listening to female reporters, by using this technique to repeat what they say and imitate their voices. This also gives me practice with the sing-song flow of a typical female speaking. I'm still far from perfect, but I believe that it helps me blend better when I do need to talk with someone.
    Now for the sneeze. If I tense up my throat and vocal chords when sneezing and direct it into my nasal cavity, such as described above, a higher pitch squeak comes out rather than my normal lower pitch male sneeze. It sounds to me more like a woman's sneeze, although I would like to be able to keep the volume a little lower.
    Now I need to find a way to clear my throat without that deep tell-tale male "harumph".
    I also have found that I need to modify my tissue technique to avoid removing too much makeup. I have a much better understanding of (and sympathy for) the dainty way that I see most GGs wipe their nose. It is more practical than I previously imagined.

Making a life for Tina! suchacutie's Avatar
    I was curious about this a couple of years ago since I know a lot of people who can manipulate their sneeze into this tiny puff! I wondered if anyone knew how to practice that. I have asked a number of people who clearly were quite competent at the surpressed sneeze, and none of them have been able to tell me how they do it.

And the harumph!!!! Yikes! I have generated a reasonable feminine voice for Tina, but that harmuph is a killer!

I also would love any explanation about how to practice the controlled sneeze!

Here's some perspective from a little time back.

https://www.crossdressers.com/forums...ighlight=Cough

Hugs, Michelle

I have a female co-worker who coughs worse than I do ! Sometimes my sneezes are more feminine but I have no idea how I do it! Hugs Lana Mae
    Life is worth living!
    "Foxy lady! You look so good!!" Jimi Hendrix

no sorry, even commented to my wife last week about how hard it is to be a lady after 2 weeks of coughing and sneezing (always happens as we go into autumn)
    See all my photos, read many stories of my outings and my early days at
    http://rachelsauckland.blogspot.co.nz

Teresa, I'm not sure how to control this. But on the other side of the equation my step daughter sneezes like hump back whale and coughs like a truck driver, much louder than I ever do.
    Please call me Jamie, I always_have crossdressed, I always will, "alwayshave".

I have to agree with Gracie. My female voice may not be perfect, but it is good enough not to raise eyebrows when I speak to someone I am otherwise passing with. When you are full-time, or going out as a woman a lot, you learn to keep your throat in the ‘feminine sounds’ state, without much conscious effort. And at that point, even a cough or sneeze comes out at a more feminine pitch. At least it certainly does for me.

Cisgender women, especially larger, taller ones, might quite reasonably have a louder or deeper cough or sneeze than a petite girl will make. Those of us on the MtF journey, be it part time or full time, may not ever end up doing the, “tiny mouse sneeze” that some smaller women do. But that is all right. Neither will most cisgender women of our weight and height.