Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: To honour or disrespectful

I have a few pieces that belonged to my grandmother, and a great aunt. Both were stylish women in their time and there was nothing old or matronly about their wardrobes. My grandmother left a closet full of elegant cocktail dresses and evening gowns from the 1950s and '60s that are just as much a delight today as when they were new. Alas, there were only a few that fit me, and the rest were sold. But skipping a generation (or two) isn't always a guarantee of a fashion disaster.

- Diane

Wouldn't go near that with a ten foot pole.

Shelly said right.
    Even my wife knows everything about me, I wouldn't get anything as a dress or anything wearable from my mother in law except a souvenir but any object that represents her...
    Moms is something sacred for everybody...
    I wouldn't even dress something from my father in law...
    HRT 042018; Full time 032019
    Orchiectomy 062020; gender& name legal changed 102020
    Electrolysis face begins 082019, in genitals for GCS 062021
    Breast augmentation surgery 012022
    GCS 072022; BBL 022023; GCS revision 04203;END TRANSITION

Thank you ladies for your thoughts on this topic. The intent of my post was to get a pulse of our community with respect to used clothing (I should have framed it better), from a MIL, mother, spouse or thrift store.... My CD journey started like many by wearing my mother's clothing. In my teens, I purchased my own items, and once wed, tried on some of the wife's clothing. I know it's wrong not to ask for permission, and for some unknown reason, I never felt guilty about it-it felt natural. Crossdressing for me was always about the love of women's clothing.

My MIL was a strong, proud and elegant woman, until cancer ravaged her body. Always impeccably dressed, and always on point for special occasions-exercise clothing was only worn to workout. Our relationship was like most, respectful and loving, however I always felt like the black sheep of the family.

The items of clothing in question are a black pencil skirt, silk blouse and a small blazer-items on my CD bucket list. As a closet CD, and presented with the opportunity to check off a few items off the list, the pink fog quickly rolled in! Once the fog subsided, the moral issue was front and centre. I'm in agreement with most of your comments, however, isn't just clothing? In other threads, ladies wondered who owned the articles of clothing they're purchasing from a thrift store, and why society questioned our desire to dress like women, where the general consensus is that it should not matter what clothing we choose to wear.

To conclude, my MIL was a wonderful woman, however, she would not accept our/my CD lifestyle and therefore will pass on her clothing. Had our relationship been stronger, and her views on the LGBTQ community not so old school, I would have no issues with wearing her outfits. To me, owning her clothing would represent my love, respect, and admiration of her fashion style.

Donna

Silver Member Majella St Gerard's Avatar
    I would have to say that is not a great idea. Unless, your mother-in-law is a movie star.

Although, I do have several pieces of lingerie from her grandmother but never worn, still in package, vintage nylons and panties, fur stoles.
    Last edited by Majella St Gerard; 04-16-2019 at 11:59 AM.

I would not do it, I feel I would be betraying a trust in a way, honour your mother by remembering her for who she was but not by keeping and wearing some of her underwear.
    I started life a lost man now I am a found woman

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    A thrift store is a totally different thing so thats a moot point.
    You still came up with excuses to keep some of her things so you could wear them.
    You know you shouldn't.

What could you former mother in law have that you want to wear?
    An unqualified no and you are sent to the back of the dress design class.

We wear to be beautiful not to wear hand-me-downs from a dead person. No.

RIP ... of course if she was a big lady, you can rip up a brightly colored silk outfit and make a nice mini-skirt .. if that is what you want RIP to mean ... I mean. That’s different. That’s dress design.

Xx YLRBobbin ❤️
    Last edited by Robbin_Sinclair; 04-16-2019 at 04:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by colourmannn View Post
    Thank you ladies for your thoughts on this topic. The intent of my post was to get a pulse of our community with respect to used clothing (I should have framed it better), from a MIL, mother, spouse or thrift store....
    >>SNIP<<

>>SNIP<<Once the fog subsided, the moral issue was front and centre. I'm in agreement with most of your comments, however, isn't just clothing? In other threads, ladies wondered who owned the articles of clothing they're purchasing from a thrift store, and why society questioned our desire to dress like women, where the general consensus is that it should not matter what clothing we choose to wear.

To conclude, my MIL was a wonderful woman, however, she would not accept our/my CD lifestyle and therefore will pass on her clothing. Had our relationship been stronger, and her views on the LGBTQ community not so old school, I would have no issues with wearing her outfits. To me, owning her clothing would represent my love, respect, and admiration of her fashion style.

Donna
    Do what you will, but your rationalization is flawed.
    When you go to the thrift store, you are buying clothes that belong to unknown persons. Unless you are deliberately buying clothing that you know was donated by a spouse or family member. So that argument is not valid.

You are trying to justify wearing the apparel of a deceased family member. As I said, do what you will. Just don't be surprised when events & emotions from your spouse turn against you.

If you really desire a pencil skirt, silk blouse and a woman's blazer, then go out and buy them. They aren't that difficult to find.
    Before you can love another, you must first like yourself

I Aim To Misbehave

Labels belong on BOXES, not PEOPLE!

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    This exactly ^^^^^^^^.

This wont end well

I think this may be a bridge too far. I would not ask.
    Please call me Jamie, I always_have crossdressed, I always will, "alwayshave".

If she's happy you crossdress, then I can't imagine anything wrong with it. OTOH if she isn't okay with you crossdressing, then yes, she probably doesn't want to be reminded of it.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

Colourman,
    I don't know what really were you thinking when decide to post this thread but it wasn't a good idea.
    I think the common sense (that's the less common sense) is to no wear or keep you MIL items to dress.
    I'd recommend you to ask an administrator to close the thread.
    HRT 042018; Full time 032019
    Orchiectomy 062020; gender& name legal changed 102020
    Electrolysis face begins 082019, in genitals for GCS 062021
    Breast augmentation surgery 012022
    GCS 072022; BBL 022023; GCS revision 04203;END TRANSITION

Mother-in-law no but I do have a few items of my mother's. I see nothing wrong with, now and again, slipping on one of her dresses, in private, and raising a glass to her memory.

Banned Read only
    Do it. But first, write down the telephone number to a great divorce lawyer.

Quote Originally Posted by Georgina View Post
    Mother-in-law no but I do have a few items of my mother's. I see nothing wrong with, now and again, slipping on one of her dresses, in private, and raising a glass to her memory.
    But they are your Mother's things Georgina, and that makes the difference. You know you are remembering your Mom with love. In the OP's case, it is the wife's perceptions that matter.
    If the OP's wife is not 100% on board with CD/Trans issues with her spouse, this is a guaranteed way to pish her off completely.

Let's face facts: a lot of people consider CD-ing to be "weird', "abnormal", "perverted", or just a kink. So, to an onlooker, swiping M-I-L's things is going to be viewed negatively. ESPECIALLY, if the wife finds out later.

Hopefully, the OP will take the pulse of the consensus here, and refrain from indulging in her desire.

However, I ain't the CD Police, so she is free to do as she wishes.

I just don't want to hear her crying if/when, the brown stuff hits the fan....

When my sister (who was and still is my role model) passed away, I ended up with 10 boxes of her jewelry stuff from her business. It was for my daughter, but she has let it sit at my house. I have several pieces of jewelry that I found in this treasure trove, that are now mine.

And my proudest possession is a pair of her personal earrings, that my niece gave to my ex-wife, who then (upon our divorce) gave to me, saying that she thought my sister would approve. I wear them to many functions. They are my favorite pair.
    Last edited by Jodie_Lynn; 04-17-2019 at 05:16 PM. Reason: Thought of more stuff to say...
    Before you can love another, you must first like yourself

I Aim To Misbehave

Labels belong on BOXES, not PEOPLE!

I lost my mother-in-law late Feb.
    I'm utterly in awe of the insensitivity from OP. I can't even begin to fathom it.
    At no point in the last two months did I ever think 'yeah, a frock or two of mom's would be just the trick. I wonder if my wife will mind?'
    Please OP, put us out of our misery and tell us this is a massive troll.

[SIZE=1]- - - Updated - - -[/SIZE]

I'd like to add a reluctant 'well done'. This is a varied forum. It's quite the achievement to inspire such unanimity.

tiptoeing thru the tulips ellbee's Avatar
    My own mother? Sure, why not. I won't be necessarily ruling that out when the time comes.

If anything, probably like coats & sweaters. Stuff along those lines.

But my *mother-in-law*??
    Heck, no!

No response from the OP I wonder why?

Silver Member
    Donna did in fact respond. Donna will do as she wishes. While my counsel is that it is a poor idea for most people, Donna's situation may be different.

Let's cut her at least a little slack here.

OK fare do I stand corrected, and I must admit I missed Donna's reply there does seem to be some validity in what she has in mind, apologies.

When I see an outfit that I absolutely must have I go shopping either online or in stores and find it. If these articles of clothing are on your must have list by all means find them and buy them but it would be very bad taste to try and get your deceased MIL's clothing. What do you plan to do with them dress up for a while then (well we know). Especially, I am assuming her departure is recent. One of the things I love most about my clothes is that they are MY clothes.

My wife gave me a few clip on earrings after her mother died. I still have them but I am not comfortable wearing them.
    If my mother in law knew of my dressing and did not have an issue with it I may have felt comfortable wearing them. Without her blessing it does not feel right to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Meghan4now View Post
    Donna did in fact respond. Donna will do as she wishes. While my counsel is that it is a poor idea for most people, Donna's situation may be different.

Let's cut her at least a little slack here.
    Yes, she did reply and gave some follow up. Donna said that she's still closeted--I'm assuming that includes the wife. So I'd say definitely no. If the situation was different and there was a supportive wife, it could be different. Some women don't take it personally when it comes to sharing clothes, others mind a great deal. I've shared clothes with a couple of SO's, and know from some here that they have had that experience. For some women, they're just clothes and it doesn't bother them at all to share.

So if a wife or SO was supportive and open to sharing clothes, that would be the only situation that I believe it would be OK to ask about the MIL's clothes.
    Last edited by Leelou; 04-18-2019 at 05:58 PM.