Thread: No qualifications

No qualifications

For the last few years I have been joined a group for a weeks hut to hut trekking in various parts of the Alps and the like. Last summer we were in the Dolomites and one morning as we gathered to start the days walk two or three of the lads and one GG drew close to pose a question. “Do you shave your legs”? I simply said yes, with no qualifications. A few years ago I might have tried to deny it, or try and explain it away with some excuse that would have stretched credulity. I was then amused because one of the guys tried to make the familiar excuse for me – “you cycle don’t you, that’ll be why” and I replied “I don’t go fast enough for it to make a difference” forgetting of course the main reason is road rash?

I suspect it must have been the subject of debate. I always wear shorts, even in quite cold weather, and even snow, so naturally as someone follows you up a steep path your legs are pretty much at their eye level. Plus mostly we sleep in dorms. Perhaps my water drop necklace and cerise top were also talking points?

They then upped the ante. “Do you shave your chest”? Again “yes”, again without qualification. They then shared a few sentences about how “manscaping” was becoming more popular and that was it.

Helena, I think you handled that very well and not going beyond what you said was correct and shows, to me at least, that you are confident with what you do. Good for you! 😃
    Crissy

Thank you Crissy that is much appreciated. I was happy with how it panned out and had definitely put it on the positive of the ledger.

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Thats the way its done just say yes and give no reason as to why.
    I was out with friends some male some female doing outdoors stuff and one of the guys said hey do you shave your legs?
    I said yeah and do my chest too.
    All he said was OK just wondered. His GF said I think its great a guy grooms himself and isn't hairy all over.
    The women do tend to be closer to me than most of the guys other than their SOs.
    One always grabs me and asks can I braid your hair?
    I always say sure if thats fine.

Top work Helena I've had a couple of people seem to feel the need to say *something* just once, like an acknowledgement or something, and then they're fine. I don't know if it's for themselves or me. In early December one guy said "I see Christmas has come early" and I looked puzzled because I genuinely had no idea what he was talking about, so he pointed at his ears and said "with the decorations" and I said "oh right the earrings ya". And that was it, fine, he was back to himself and never mentioned again.

Aspiring Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Helena View Post
    forgetting of course the main reason is road rash?
    The main reason is that shaved legs look much sexier in spandex

Road rash is just an excuse

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    Maybe things r different across the pond? Over here, "Why", is a question I hear asked countless times daily!

Some of us don't want or need that, or other questions that mite out us!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Good for you Helena! Just own it and people drop it. Besides roadrash, cyclists shave their legs because it's easier to massage out the lactic acid

Quote Originally Posted by JeanTG View Post
    The main reason is that shaved legs look much sexier in spandex

Road rash is just an excuse
    Pretty funny!
    Crissy

Helena, I have had someone comment on my shaved legs once, and it was negative, I'm glad yours went well.
    Please call me Jamie, I always_have crossdressed, I always will, "alwayshave".

Pantyhose for everyone! Jennifer_Ph's Avatar
    I hear similar a lot... "Are you wearing pantyhose?" "Yes."
    xxoo
    Jennifer

Banned Read only
    Helena,
    Such self control ! You know me I would have far more to say , those sort of questions could have had some fun answers .

One question are you the only male with little or no hair on your legs in that group ? Both my brother in laws have little or none I wonder if they've been asked .

I would have loved you to reply because I look so much better in a dress , M would have loved that one !

Utah, north of West Jordan, south of North Salt Lake & west of South Salt Lake
    I've never had to answer that question from anyone but my late wife. My leg hair was always light colored and when I started epilating arms and legs, the difference was minimal. No one asked why I had both ears pierced, although the common practice at the time was just one side. No one asked why my nails had grown so long. Eventually, I'm guessing that someone will ask me about my newly developing "moobs", but after this long I may just sigh at what took them so long to notice or comment on anything at all.

You seem to be on the right path in how to respond to questions that are really none of their business.
    Sarah
    Being transgender isn't a lifestyle choice. How you deal with it is.

Platinum Member
    "Dad, did you shave your legs?" asked my daughter within the last ten years. "No." I was sitting across from her in our living room. "Is this the first time you noticed?" I had to chuckle because I was into my sixties. I told her I do not have hair follicles on the back of my calves or my thighs (front & back) and very little fine light hair on my shins. I also do not have hair follicles at my arm pits. My wife says that trait is "wasted on a guy." She grumbles every time she has to shave her legs and underarms. It is a genetic trait which comes from my father's side of the family. My father was also primarily hairless. I've never had anyone else in seventy plus years ask that question. The only other person who has made a comment is a nurse who commented hair loss on the legs is a common to men with type 2 diabetes. She made her observation during an annual diabetic checkup. I would not recommend inducing diabetes to get a hairless look!! I did not pass this trait on to my son who is hairy or perhaps "furry" is a better descriptive word. My wife knows nothing of the genetic makeup of her biological father.

I am surprised anyone really cares if you shave your legs or chest. I see many males of all ages who are totally hairless.

Try having an ECG

Its funny when the nurse appears with a razor to remove hair to attach the leads.

She took one look and said well that was a pointless idea
    Shelly

Super Moderator....How to tell your partner......Abbreviations

Banned Read only
    Shelly,
    Just reminded me of when I went for a hernia repair , the nurse asked , " Have you shaved ?" I repiled , " Yes thankyou ! "

Tracii - I think the growth in male grooming has helped. I too tend to gravitate to the women in a group.
    Eemz - Thanks. Perhaps they do just want to give a liitle acknowledgement.
    Jean - that made me smile.
    Sherry - Perhaps it is British reserve. You are right lots of us are nervous and don't want to provoke such questions. I used to be the same. I remember when I first shaved my hands to above the wrist. It looked so stark, and I thought I had gone too far and would attract comments and derision but nothing happened.
    Robin- I had forgotten that.
    Teresa - I know you would have had a lot of fun with it as you have a wicked sense of humour. Ironically I hadn't really noticed, I think one or two have little hair and I think it is genetic?
    Sarah - Originally I wasn't too hirsute and so the difference would have been less obvious. My first partner made no comment about my legs till I overdid the tanning moisturiser. I think my over long nails have drawn most comment. I am thinking about getting my ears pierced but that is a way off.
    Alwayshave - I am sorry to hear that.
    Stephanie - It does amuse me, how sometimes it takes people ages to notice things. The same group met a few months later and I was shocked how prominent my moobs were.
    Shelly and Teresa - I got no comments when I was hospitalised for my only operation.

Oh to be an English Rose Jane G's Avatar
    Well having been both a club cyclist and a club swimmer. I can safely say that thread on I shave my legs is because they look and feel great.

Silver Member
    Your response of an unqualified "yes" is very much like mine would have been. For me, the ideal response to my being dressed is "Not A Big Deal" and no further comment. I'm even uncomfortable with too many compliments. I'd rather talk about nearly anything else.

You don't need to explain anything these days.

Most do it to some degree all the time.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.