Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Transgender an Ethnic Group or Race ?

Wherever there is a Sale or Macys, but mostly Baltimore MD

Is Transgender an Ethnic Group or Race ?

Ethnic group
    , a social
    group
    or category of the population that, in a larger society, is set apart and bound together by common ties of race, language, nationality, or culture.

Race
    [rās] a class or breed of animals; a group of individuals having certain characteristics in common, owing to a common inheritance.
    race
    (rās) n. 1. A group of people identified as distinct from other groups because of supposed physical or genetic traits shared by the group.

Biology by Degrees - we all (everyone in the world) have a genetic makeup that is different by degrees than every one else.

I'm an armchair biologist , I read a lot about biology and have no formal education in it.

I hear and read a lot about CD/TG "Identifying" as the opposite sex, but I can't help thinking it's more than that. As human our biological makeup includes not only organs, but a chemical soup that if different from person to person , group to group. ethnic group to ethnic group.

A read a article about a female athlete who was told she could not compete as a woman unless she reduced her naturally occurring level of testosterone and a male swimmer who was praised because of his extremely low levels of estrogen in his system. Just two examples of average people with unexpected chemistry for their sex.

Even within a race of people there are shared chemical levels with the body that act differently. Natives of polar regions have trace levels of naturally occurring
    antifreeze protein from Pseudopleuronectes americanus, the antifreeze mechanism of the type-I AFP molecule.

Tropical races have
    Molecular photoprotection of
    human
    keratinocytes as infants to protect against the sum

It seems as if nature evolves humans for different niches to fulfill a purpose.

One of the most comprehensive studies of provides Evidence on the BIOLOGICAL nature of Gender Identify

"
    The researchers conducted a literature search and reviewed articles that showed positive biologic bases for gender identity.
    These included disorders of sexual development, such as
    . penile agenesis,
    . neuroanatomical differences, such as grey and white matter studies, and
    . steroid hormone genetics, such as genes associated with sex hormone receptors.
    They conclude that current data suggests a biological etiology for transgender identity."

Evidence Supporting the Biologic Nature of Gender Identity

Aruna Saraswat, Jamie Weinand and Joshua Safer
    Endocrine Practice Feb 2015, Vol. 21, No. 2 (February 2015) pp. 199-204
    Abstract
    |
    PDF (443 KB)
    | Track Citations(
    RSS
    The research suggests as many as 1 in 100 people have Gender Identity.

I submit that the evidence that so many people identify as transgender is evidence to entertain that probability that as a group they can be considered an ethnic group if not a race.

Any thoughts ?

Kelly DeWinter
    Find Kelly at:
    Kelly's Blog
    Flicker
    [COLOR=#2e8b57

No.

Next question.
    When haters hate, I celebrate!

Here we go again. Let's redefine a term that has broadly accepted definition already...
    Look, I get that the cited definitions appear to allow someone so inclined to slide some or all TG groups into the set of races, but why the hell would we do that?

A stretch.
    I am a vessel of the goddess. Let me express my calling to a feminine life through nurturing love and relatedness.

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Everything in that study you referenced is opinion as are most studies.
    Just because it gets published does not make it fact.
    So the answer is no.

Banned Read only
    No and no as TG is present in all races and ethnic groups.

Banned Read only
    Roberta, excellent point.

Kelly I believe that's a no because all the applications for jobs, applications for admissions, applications for credit, and a numerous other info sheets only have two boxes [male] [ female] check one. I have not seen a tarns box yet and most forms don't even have a race box anymore.
    Now my hunting license does have a gender box Buck or Doe ,

Banned Spammer
    Really hate to see studies like this that continue to further divide people.
    We are one race the human race.

I agree with Kelly. This is foolish. A community yes an ethnic group no.

Quote Originally Posted by Robertacd View Post
    I think this sums up the answer in one sentence.

The only think we really share right now, is no one has come up with a definitive answer as to why we are the way we are.
    Shelly

Super Moderator....How to tell your partner......Abbreviations

I agree with Roberta and Shelly.
    Crissy

It’s a gender... like it says in the name...

bi-racial isn’t a sexual orientation. Why would Transgender be a race?

Firstly, the term "race" is misleading. As far as I know, there is the human race, which is the dominant lifeform on this planet.
    Yes, yes, the term has been diluted and conflated to mean "people who look different than me", but, in my view, that is total BS, since there is only one human race.

An 'ethnic group' share many traits, such as language, customs, genetic heritage, geographical proximity, religion, and other commonalities.

To equate transgendered individuals as an ethnic group is not logical, since we only share one trait, to varying degrees. It would be akin to saying that all redheads are an ethnic group. Or all albinos. Or all Christians.

So, to answer the OP, No. And, No.
    Before you can love another, you must first like yourself

I Aim To Misbehave

Labels belong on BOXES, not PEOPLE!

Wherever there is a Sale or Macys, but mostly Baltimore MD
    "Human Race" is misleading , there is the Human Species as a whole group on Earth , there are multiple Races as a classification
    Kelly DeWinter
    Find Kelly at:
    Kelly's Blog
    Flicker
    [COLOR=#2e8b57

Oh really? In biological terms, "race" denotes creatures that are in a genus, with the ability to breed.
    Ever see a lion mate with a bear?

ALL humans have the ability to breed, regardless of the incorrectly utilized term "race".

In the canine "race", a Great Dane can mate with a chihuahua and produce offspring. And no, I don't want to imagine who does what to whom in that scenario.

An African can successfully mate with a Caucasian; An Asian can successfully mate with an African; A Caucasian can successfully mate with an Aborigine.

Not to sound like a rabid SJW, but, the term "race" as used by most people, is in and of itself, a racist term.

I Aim To Misbehave

Banned Spammer
    It sure borders on being racist.
    I don't know why some insist on classifying everything or making up things and classifications that don't exist.
    My major was anthropology and biology in college so we discussed all this kind of stuff.
    We could never agree on anything with the professor and when I would question him he would just get angry.
    Last edited by Tracii G; 05-07-2019 at 07:43 PM.

@Tracii G

I don't think it 'borders on', I think it IS racist.

I don't mean to derail the thread into a political venue, but look at how many groups & organizations use the ersatz term "race" to justify bigotry and hatred. Not only today, but throughout history.

I Aim To Misbehave

Banned Spammer
    Quite a few.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    R these divisive posts here because we aren't allowed to discuss politics or religion?
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Which ones would you call 'divisive' Doc?

I Aim To Misbehave

Quote Originally Posted by Robertacd View Post
    ^this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jodie_Lynn View Post
    there is the human race, which is the dominant life form on this planet.
    Nah. Birds, insects, bacteria, molds (and a host of other microorganisms) have us beat. They've been here since before we were, and will be here when we're gone.

We may believe that we're advanced enough to survive the next extinction event, but even today we waste enormous amounts of energy, even our lives, in an effort to reproduce our own genetic line.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

No.....it is not
    Escapism isn't necessarily bad, but is definitely unhealthy in the long term. While helpful in the short term, things will degrade over time. At some point, the escapee will have to face the issue. Things simply blowing over isn't really going to happen in many situations.

No, it is neither an ethnic group or a race. It is a community.

It’s a software bug (feature!).
    You are you. You are beautiful. Labels are worthless.