Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The World Did Not End Today. It Got Better.

The World Did Not End Today. It Got Better.

A while back my SO said she was accepting of my feminine side. Last night we had another opportunity to talk about it. I asked if she minded if I dressed a little more feminine around the house. To keep a long story short she said that she really doesn’t care about the clothes so no big deal. She was also very appreciative that I asked her for her opinion before I brought any clothes into the house. We set some basic ground rules like discussing the next step in our journey and she has veto power on what I wear. So for the time being we agreed that leggings and panties around the house would be a good start.

I was so excited that I could finally go shopping that I could not sleep. On the drive into civilization I built up a lot of anxiety so I decided to stop at target to test the waters. I bought a few items, a Venus razor, facial scrub, and clear nail polish. No one cared that I was checking out the nail polishes. I used the self checkout and as I walked out of the store I said to myself, the world did not end today. With one stop under my belt I went across the street to Lane Bryant. When I walked into the store the SA asked me if I needed some help. I nervously said yes and that I was looking for some leggings and panties. At that point I owned up to the fact that they were for me. She really put me at ease, introduced herself, helped me find some leggings and let me use the fitting room. Then she took me over to look for some panties. We really got into a nice conversation about panties. She told me which ones she liked and why. The way she talked to me made me feel like one of the girls. I was so comfortable that I confessed to being a newbie. I bought two pairs of leggings and five pairs of panties. On my way out the door she said anytime you need anything just ask and I will be happy to help you (she is not commission based). When I left the store all my anxiety way gone and I felt a huge burden was lifted. Again, the world did not end. It just got better.

When I got home, I tried on my panties and I finally get it. They are the softest, most delicate thing I have ever worn. They are oh so comfortable.

I want to thank you all for sharing your stories and empowering me to write one of my own.

Hugs,
    Robin

Congratulations Robin! I'm so happy for you! It really is great to finally step out and be who you are. I've found that most people don't care at all and that has helped put me at ease a bit in some of my first experiences. Of course having my mom by my side has really helped and you have your wife. Having someone in your corner really helps. I cannot underestimate the value of that. Best wishes to you and your wife on your journey.

Good for you.

Getting over the initial fear of shopping for fem clothing is a big step. Once you've done it a few times, you'll be doing it without batting an eye.
    When haters hate, I celebrate!

Robin, A big congrats to you for such a big step! It gets easier and to me even more fun when shopping. The SA’s know when they see us looking around that we are there for ourselves and you met that head on by admitting it right away. I am so very happy for you!
    Crissy

Hi Robin,

Congratulations on two big steps! Talking about it with your SO and getting assistance from a SA when shopping!

Marion

Good for you Robin.
    Seems like only yesterday you were knee high to a grasshopper. Now look at you with your big girl panties on.
    That reads patronising. It truly isn't meant to be. But those are some steps that can take others years.
    Congratulations.

Congratulations Robin. Two landmark steps in virtually one day and much braver than I was at that point.

Congratulations, you have made one of the most basic discoveries. Anyone in sales is your friend and happy to smooth your way.
    The other thing you will discover is that to get a smooth look in leggings you will need to go back to your favourite SA and get some control panties.

Robin,
    You are starting on an interesting journey, do keep us posted as to your progress.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Robin, Way to go, one big step for one big girl ya!

I am very impressed, so are ahead of me on both counts. I am still trying to get the courage to buy some lingerie. Well done girl!!

Robin, what a wonderful story. I'm glad that you had a positive interaction with the SA.
    Please call me Jamie, I always_have crossdressed, I always will, "alwayshave".

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    Robin, I'm not sure I would discuss panties intimately with an SA. In the end, they function differently on me!

But, discussing commissions with an SA is DEFINITELY out of my comfort zone!
    How do u know she wasn't on commission?
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

I accept myself as is Gillian Gigs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BTWimRobin View Post
    To keep a long story short she said that she really doesn’t care about the clothes so no big deal. She was also very appreciative that I asked her for her opinion before I brought any clothes into the house. We set some basic ground rules like discussing the next step in our journey and she has veto power on what I wear. So for the time being we agreed that leggings and panties around the house would be a good start.
    Keeping your wife in the loop about your clothing choices is a good idea. Having a healthy compromise as to what you wear in front of her is being considerate of her and her feelings. As a warning, you may find her being ok about many items, but then there will be some items, that she will be against. By example, my wife was ok about most items, but she had a difficult time with bras and forms for a long time. Super lacy nightgowns also bothered her for awhile too. Over time both of these changed to be more favourable towards me. So be patient and don't push your luck if some item of clothing becomes an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by BTWimRobin View Post
    I nervously said yes and that I was looking for some leggings and panties. At that point I owned up to the fact that they were for me. She really put me at ease, introduced herself, helped me find some leggings and let me use the fitting room. Then she took me over to look for some panties. We really got into a nice conversation about panties. She told me which ones she liked and why.
    Well you owned it! This is what a good SA should be doing. If everyone just owned it, they may be amazed it how good the response will be. Anyone who has been in retail sales gets to know after awhile who is nervous and who is feeding them a line of BS. I believe that most people appreciate honesty and they then go the extra mile to help the person.
    Last edited by Gillian Gigs; 05-10-2019 at 12:14 PM. Reason: grammer
    I like myself, regardless of the packaging that I may come in! It's what is on the inside of the package that counts!

Robin,

So you wrote; " When I left the store all my anxiety way gone and I felt a huge burden was lifted. Again, the world did not end. It just got better.". Isn't amazing what a little human interaction can you?

We build up these anxieties, fearing the worst, convinced the mob is about to descend upon us and in truth, as you say, the world doesn't end. What you experienced is typical of 99% of the interactions reported here. In your case I suspect the SA picked up on your nervousness and displayed some human kindness. I've found that if I approach a SA and say, "Hi, could you help me please?", (it always payed to be polite), they're more than happy to oblige. Plus I always make a point of thanking them for their kind help. It makes them feel good about themselves. Dib dib, they've done a good deed.

Showing a little vulnerability, being open, honest and yourself draws the best from others and that's what you did.

You didn't say if you related the story to your SO and if yes what her response was.
    Who dares wears Get in, get out without being noticed

Platinum Member
    The Ascena Group has the retail brands of Lane Bryant, Catherines, Justice, Dress Barn, Loft, Ann Taylor, Lou & Grey and Cacique. The corporate policy is one of inclusion. I would expect all its employees to be helpful to all customers or find some other line of work. I would expect anyone not truly reflecting corporate policy would be weeded out at the initial hiring.

On the panty issue I love the feel of women's nylon panties. Try wearing a soft nylon slip over a soft nylon full coverage panty. Addictive to say the least.

Wait, you just purchased your first panties??? Awwwwww, baby dresser! How fun for you! You’re in for a whole WORLD of new experiences! Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Charleene View Post
    I am very impressed, so are ahead of me on both counts. I am still trying to get the courage to buy some lingerie. Well done girl!!
    Charleene, You can do this, pick your time, maybe in the morning when the stores first open. The first time is always the hardest and like many here say, it gets easier, and more enjoyable each time.
    Crissy

Silver Member
    Hurray for Robin! It just gets easier. I've bought everything fem that I ever needed while in drab. I don't try to hide it from anyone in a store. Good luck in your and your wife's journey together.

Congrats Robin. I have found that many SAs are super friendly and helpful. I have only had good experiences.

We should all expect SA do what they are suppose to do be an Sales assitant. It sounds like yours was right on what she is supposed to do. Also I'm glad that you related your story here. You really went beyond a first shopping experience to make everything simple and to the point. Good job from the SA and you also.

Quote Originally Posted by Micki_Finn View Post
    Wait, you just purchased your first panties??? Awwwwww, baby dresser! How fun for you! You’re in for a whole WORLD of new experiences! Lol
    Lmfao at this Micki. Cheers.

We've all been there.

Always been a GIRL. Michelle1955's Avatar
    We set some basic ground rules like discussing the next step in our journey and she has veto power on what I wear. So for the time being we agreed that leggings and panties around the house would be a good start.

Sounds like you and SO had a very good talk.
    But the statement above and your shopping trip could be the perfect storm since she has veto power and the agreed leggings and panties is a first step. Sounds like you moving very fast, when the SO find this it probably be a bad situation.
    Just my two cents.

Thank you all for your kind words.

It took a bit before my SO and I were able to debrief about my shopping trip. While I was away she did a little thinking and we had a serious heart to heart conversation last night. She asked all the standard questions which I had all the answers to. We reached, what I feel is a good compromise. Dressing should be feminine but not over the top, basically blending in. This is mostly because the neighbors are in close proximity and we live in a very small town. She even offered suggestions on what I could wear. She then wanted to see my haul. I told her the whole shopping story and she thought going into Target first was a good icebreaker and she thought the items I bought there were appropriate. I then told her the LB story and the very nice SA. She was happy that I had a good first experience. She really liked the leggings and thought both the leggings and panties were in good taste. Finally, she asked me if I plan to shave my legs. I told her only if you don't have a problem with it. She told me she doesn't mind. Okay then, if you don't like it I will let grow back. She then suggested we plan a spa day together. Overall, things went about as well as they could.

On a side note my SO was very impressed/proud that I threw myself out there, leaving my comfort zone only to expand it.

You have a great wife and should treasure her. Enjoy your spa day and congratulations on your first shopping experience!