Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Postman with a sense of humour !!

Banned Read only

Postman with a sense of humour !!

Yesterday I made a start demolishing my old stone fireplace to make way for a woodburning stove , I was using my heavy duty breaker so never heard the postman . This morning I was just returning from walking the dog when I met him in my driveway , he commented that I sounded busy yesterday and I explained what I was doing he then turned with a smile and said , " I thought the sound of that drill was you removing your makeup !! " I called him a cheeky ****** and sent him on his way !

See? Now that's a great relationship

Yeah but was he right, Teresa?!

Just goes to show just how little those outside our community know. Makeup removal as we all know is done with a power washer and a belt sander!
    Who dares wears Get in, get out without being noticed

Banned Read only
    Helen,
    So right , I keep the big breaker for the tougher parts of shaving !

Silver Member Majella St Gerard's Avatar
    Sounds insulting to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Helen_Highwater View Post
    Just goes to show just how little those outside our community know. Makeup removal as we all know is done with a power washer and a belt sander!
    Sometimes you just have to resort to explosives.

Majella, I would chalk this one up to British humour. We're fine with self-deprecation, and with ribbing and piss-taking. It's in our national character, I'd go as far as to say.
    Teresa's postman was no more insulting than myself, Helen, and Rhoda.
    Think about it, that would akin to a SA laughing in your face. Had he actually meant it as insult, he'd find himself quickly fired.

I'll double down in fact. I'll wager it's indicative of a level.of acceptance deeper than political correctness. Teresa's posty trusted that the joke would land.
    Last edited by abbiedrake; 05-11-2019 at 02:46 PM.

Abbie has the right of it. It's a bit of sarcasm, something we breathe in the air here in NJ, if you are warmly familiar with a person, and they say something dreadful like that, but with a smile, it is genuine affection.

Banned Read only
    Majella,
    He's a really nice guy , he took the trouble to knock on my door a few days after I moved into my new home and introduce himself. The first time he knew about my TG situation was when he saw me from a distance coming out my front door as Teresa . The next time we met face to face so he asked politely what she he called me know , so we have built up a good relationship . I feel it's great he could find some humour in the situation , his way of accpeting me, it could be far worse .
    Last edited by Teresa; 05-11-2019 at 02:56 PM.

Please, Mr. Postman!

Majella is right. That comment wouldn’t be taken kindly in the States. Wouldn’t be meant kindly either.

I can see the humor in it, though.
    When haters hate, I celebrate!

Aspiring Member natalie edwards's Avatar
    I probably would have said next time you hear it it'll be removing my foot from your a.....
    She's figured out all her doubts were someone else's point of view (She greenday)

You can't beat a bit of good natured banter, our british humour can be based like this, its a bit like somebody saying something a bit naughty and i might reply up your's but all meant harmlessly.
    In my job if you could not give and take on this scale one was doomed!
    I started life a lost man now I am a found woman

And yet it's us Brits that are uptight? Isn't that the stereotype?! 🤔

Trust me, as well as self-deprecating humour and making fun of our friends, we have a vast palette of deeply offensive language we can deploy. Not to mention that Teresa could doubtless have withered someone ignorant enough to intend harm.

Ask Wifeling GG about these matters, she's an expert now. Both on the differences in attitude, and humour as well as swearing, thanks to potty mouth here.

[SIZE=1]- - - Updated - - -[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by Bobbi46 View Post
    You can't beat a bit of good natured banter, our british humour can be based like this, its a bit like somebody saying something a bit naughty and i might reply up your's but all meant harmlessly.
    In my job if you could not give and take on this scale one was doomed!
    'I've raised my standards. So up yours too!' Mr. B The Gentleman Rhymer.

🤣

And thank you. Banter is exactly the word.

There should be more humourous times like this! life would be so much better.
    I started life a lost man now I am a found woman

Hey Macey, thanks.
    That explains Kevin Smith. Love it.
    I love that he picketed his own movie (Dogma) and was even featured on the local news.
    I'm still calling my mates effing clownshoe because of Jay and Silent Bob.

Kevin Smith's a bit of a jerk though still … he's probably a lot closer to NJ 'culture' than the awful "Jersey Shore" or Real Housewives of NJ" lol.

I think even those unfamiliar with the Garden State know those are outliers, Macey.
    What fantastic specimens of humanity they manage to shoehorn into those shows! 🤦*♀️

> warmly familiar with a person, and they say something dreadful like that, but with a smile, it is genuine affection.

We have that too If I said something like that to a stranger they'd probably punch me, it has to be someone who knows you would never say that and be done tongue in cheek so it's clearly a joke. I work in a multinational company so have to be careful of that because it doesn't go down well if it's not part of your culture. And Macey yes I work with a guy from NJ who is totally tuned in as well. We used to ask him if he knew the Sopranos personally but had to stop when he discovered a series called Irish Gypsy Brides

Eemz, being Irish American myself, and having run into some travelers in the states as well, I tuned into an episode of Irish Gypsy Brides, what a train wreck!

Abbies first comment has it spot on. As I read the OP it said to me the post man likes you enough to rib you, and it made me smile. We have a lady at work who often says she only insults the people she likes.

Helena, what's that you say, knobhead?

[SIZE=1]- - - Updated - - -[/SIZE]

Hey Eemz would that be a multinational hiding in your fine nation for tax purposes? 😜

Abbie, you heard the first time you spawny eyed wazzock. I typed that in tribute to the late great Tony Capstick, but both not sure I have spelled it right and thinking surely there is only one way to spell it?

Teresa, maybe I don't get your relationship with the postman, but sounds like an attack on your makeup skills.
    Please call me Jamie, I always_have crossdressed, I always will, "alwayshave".

@jamie no it's an English humor thing, outrageous insults as a sign of friendship & familiarity with someone. You only use it with people who definitely know you well enough to know you don't mean it and therefore it means exactly the opposite. If that makes any sense