Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Postman with a sense of humour !!

I'll say again, in love and honesty, ask Wifeling GG. She lived in the US her first 35 years and the last 20 here in the UK.
    It's a cultural thing, trust me.

And Helena, yeah I'd have thought it'd be spelled with a 'W' too. Well done. 😜

[SIZE=1]- - - Updated - - -[/SIZE]

It is as Eemz says: irony.
    Either that or my mates who call me something rhyming with runt are hinting at something. 🤔

Eemz you are 100% correct. I have a friend and we are always ribbing each other about any and everything. In reality we bath are the best of friends. We grew up together and it's a wonder our parents didn't beat us to near extinction some of the pranks we've pulled on each other and other friends. I really believe either one of us would lay our life down for the other. He doesn't know anything about my CDing but I would bet he'd have something smart Alec to say about it. We are perfect and have fun in every thing we do. Life too short to be up tight and not have fun.
    I understand what the postman meant and it was all in a jest of fun I would bet. We would all be better off if we'd just loosen up and not worry about, or try and make something of everything some one says to us. I laugh at myself a lot lately and the older I get the more I have too.

Political corrctness knocked a lot of humour right out of the window, but used in fun with somebody why not. One lovely expression is calling someone a "right plonker" it just rolls of the tongue.
    I started life a lost man now I am a found woman

@jaylyn I came out to a gamer buddy in London. We had a good talk. He's a good friend.
    Next day I get a ping...
    Attachment 304020

I wouldn't mind but her beard's better than mine!
    I just told him I'd lost weight since then and replied with this...
    Attachment 304021

[SIZE=1]- - - Updated - - -[/SIZE]

I also made him feel bad because months before I came out to him he'd photoshopped my head onto Frank n Furter's body.
    Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go - T. S. Eliot

How glorious it is, and also how painful, to be an exception - Alfred De Musset

Sometimes even to live is an act of courage - Seneca

We suffer more often in imagination than in reality - Seneca

I accept myself as is Gillian Gigs's Avatar
    From a Nation that gave us Monty Python, Benny Hill, Are you being Served, Black Adder, and so on, we must see that the Brits have a wonderful, but different sense of humour! Cheeky word play is in the midst of crossdressing, insane rants, and you can add pussy (cat) washing to make it quite a mad cap bit of entertainment. If only I could see Sid James and the carry on gang again, their antics would have you almost peeing yourself from the laughter.
    Teresa, I totally get it, we tease, and nudge because we like that person. If they never said anything, then we know that they don't care for, or about us. Remember a wink is as good as a nudge to a blind man!
    I like myself, regardless of the packaging that I may come in! It's what is on the inside of the package that counts!

Banned Read only
    Many thanks for all your replies I'm glad you've had some fun with it .

I do get my own back on the postman . He remarked that when it's a lovely sunny day no one on his round really mentions it but when it's wet and miserable everyone says , " David , what have you done to the weather ?" So when the weather is not too good and I see him I call out , " Oh David what have you done to the weather ? " His reply isn't one I could repeat here but he says it with a smile !

Platinum Member
    Hi Teresa , That gave me a good laugh. >Orchid..++..
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

Quote Originally Posted by Teresa View Post
    I feel it's great he could find some humour in the situation , his way of accpeting me, it could be far worse .
    Such as ??? "coming out my front door as Teresa".... Supports my comment on another post...
    It SURE is my hair ! I have the receipt and the box it came in !

We often hear what we want to hear.
    I am Me and Me is OK!

Shelby

Aspiring Member
    Teresa,
    Lovely OP! It appears that you and the postman can freely exchange banter, which is far better than bullying, etc. I strive to not to take myself to seriously, and believe light hearted humor is a way to connect with people.

BTW, half English myself.

Cheers!

Silver Member Majella St Gerard's Avatar
    Sarcastic or not, it's still insulting. I'm from Jersey too and I'm on a first name basis with Sarcasm, nice guy or not, quirky English humor? I'm a huge British comedy fan. It still smells like a slight. What kind of man says that to a lady? It's an insult. Take it anyway you want, that's your prerogative.
    Someone called me a Drag Queen, I was extremely insulted and he meant it to be, he was a smug asshole, and I gave him an earful.
    Last edited by Majella St Gerard; 05-12-2019 at 11:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Majella St Gerard View Post
    Sarcastic or not, it's still insulting. I'm from Jersey too and I'm on a first name basis with Sarcasm, nice guy or not, quirky English humor? I'm a huge British comedy fan. It still smells like a slight. What kind of man says that to a lady? It's an insult. Take it anyway you want, that's your prerogative.
    Someone called me a Drag Queen, I was extremely insulted and he meant it to be, he was a smug asshole, and I gave him an earful.
    It's emphatically not sarcasm.
    Macey may have called it sarcasm but she read it as harmless comedic irony.
    Sarcasm is irony with malice. You're impugning the postman with ill intent that simply was not there.
    For the record though many Brits couldn't tell you the difference in definition between irony and sarcasm. Ironically. 😉

We definitely have plenty of smug insulting arseholes over here too though. They tend towards directness, irony not being their strong suit.

Banned Read only
    Rogina,
    Why is this so much of a problem to you , I tell a fun story about my postman and you turn it into a " More trans than you !" issue . From your own admission you state you're still having problems with the fishing and boat owning fraternity .

My postman has also met me in the local supermarket , if he chose he could be difficult with me , this is his way of coming to terms with and accepting me as TG . We mustn't lose sight of the fact some people have never met a TG person before , we do have to be prepared to cut them a little slack . Surely it's better to deal with it through inocent humour rather than telling you to **** off .

We've have had this debate before the conclusion is my World is totally different to yours , why don't you just accept it .

DMichele,
    The whole point of my thread , I couldn't get through without humour , we have to be prepared to laugh at ourselves sometimes .
    Last edited by Teresa; 05-12-2019 at 01:35 PM.

Sounds like a fun postman Teresa

Here in the UK we can use insulting words but sometimes, but if its said in the correct way you will know the person is joking.

This happens with people you know, never a stranger.
    Shelly

Super Moderator....How to tell your partner......Abbreviations

Banter like that between friends is one thing, but from a Postman, no that's Very unprofessional and extremely rude and improper. Say that to the wrong person, well intended or not, and you will be brought into HR for a little discussion on proper customer relations. I am a Security Officer and I wouldn't dream of saying anything like that to anyone.

Any professional who makes such a comment cold (i.e. With no prior knowledge of the customer) does indeed run the risk of running into someone that won't see the joke and will complain, but in this case Teresa and her postman have built up a relationship. Teresa has been truthful with him and once met you know she has an impish sense of humour. In a simple way it speaks volumes about acceptance.

Banter like that between friends is one thing, but from a Postman, no that's Very unprofessional and extremely rude and improper. Say that to the wrong person, well intended or not, and you will be brought into HR for a little discussion on proper customer relations. I am a Security Officer and I wouldn't dream of saying anything like that to anyone.
    What he says to her out in public and not on duty is one thing but not in uniform. Be professional. I see people I know from work out in public and the banter is WAY different. But NOT ON DUTY.

Any possibility of chalking it up yet, Majella?
    The UK is a different culture. Far more different than you may think. You describe yourself as a fan of British humour. OK, but that does not qualify you to have spoken as long on the subject as you have.
    I implore you ask my wife, Wifeling GG. Having spent half her life in the US half here, she just shook her head when I told her of this thread.She laughed at the ribbing just like I did.
    Helena nailed it just now. I have elsewhere and, dagnabit, the fact that Teresa posted this thread laughingly should speak volumes.
    His job was discharged as defined and he did so while engaging a client in a way that left both smiling.
    That you would have done differently and that you have been insulted before aren't especially relevant. You can't somehow prove us all wrong by keeping on at it. Because it's a simple matter of fact that those of us who've defended the postman are NOT wrong.
    At the beginning of this thread myself, Helen and Rhoda all continued in a similar vein to the posty. As did Bobbi and others later on, trying to have a laugh together, even at one another's expense.
    Your continued dissent just drags the mood down and you're still wrong.
    Last edited by abbiedrake; 05-12-2019 at 03:26 PM.

Yes it was humorous but at her expense. If she's fine with that, that is her prerogative. But I stand by my comment that his behavior was unprofessional and inappropriate for someone in a uniformed service. And you won't change my mind. Culture smulture it's still unprofessional.

🤦*♀️OK fine. It's perhaps telling that no other British commenter agreed but yeah stick with 'culture, smulture'. 🤷*♀️
    Be sure and seek me out for my 'definitive' opinion of certain aspects of US smulture that we might find 'wrong'. 😜
    I mean quoting oneself in replies seems odd, but that's just you right, not Americans... 😁
    Last edited by abbiedrake; 05-12-2019 at 06:44 PM.

I understand the fun that Teresa and her postman had. It was an innocent and not a hurtful remark but one which can only be used between people who already know one another and in certain circumstances. As the old joke states IT IS NOT WHAT YOU SAY BUT HOW YOU SAY IT.

Teresa and her postman have a good relationship which involves taking little "digs" at one another but no harm is done and no harm is intended.
    With different people in different circumstances it would not work.

Keep on trucking Teresa. You are a very positive advertisement for our community.

Abbie, thank you soooooooo much for setting me straight, I just don't know how I made it this far in my life without your sage advice. I can't wait to be schooled by you on the proper way to crossdress and navigate this site.

And, thank you again.

I feel the barometer here is that as far as I can see, non of the Brits who've replied find anything other than humour in the encounter. What you see by way of TV shows is an indicator, a taste of what Brit humour practiced at "grass roots level" is like.
    Who dares wears Get in, get out without being noticed

You're very welcome!

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    I have spent lots of time in NJ Macey and so glad I didn't live there just because of the way people treated each other.
    Way different where I am.
    The people are nice to each other its yes sir yes ma'am.