Thread: Statistics of crossdressers transitioning and now trans?

Statistics of crossdressers transitioning and now trans?

The more I read here and see the pics and videos sections I can see many girls that are in the same stage I was 2 or 3 years ago when I came to this place.
    I'd like to know if this web has any statistic on how many current trans start here as crossdressers and this web was a main source of info to transition and be today a trans.
    Any input?
    HRT 042018; Full time 032019
    Orchiectomy 062020; gender& name legal changed 102020
    Electrolysis face begins 082019, in genitals for GCS 062021
    Breast augmentation surgery 012022
    GCS 072022; BBL 022023; GCS revision 04203;END TRANSITION

Hmmm you look familiar, do you have a twin sister here? Ok, only kidding good on your name change.
    Interesting question I’m looking forward to seeing the responses.
    Crissy

Whatever hypothesis you have, you can find some stats to support it (or if there aren't any, you can always just make them up!). Oh, here we go again. This is like the same old 'what's the difference between a crossdresser and a transsexual?: About two years (add canned laughter).', comedy routine.
    Either someone is TS or they're not. It's mostly due to the stigma that society puts on it, which makes so many feel the need to deny what they are; some are even afraid to see it in themselves because of the shame they feel for not living up to what they've always been told are their responsibilities as a man. Sheesh, I had so much hope for the human race when I was growing up. Yet, here we are, 50 years later, still stuck with so much of the same old nonsense. Sexist beliefs, prudishness, censorship, and of course so many groups insisting that other people behave differently, all because of an outdated belief system. Sometimes it seems we haven't progressed at all.

That said, just be what you want to be. There are so many members here who have come and gone, that there's no way to be sure who might have left to transition in stealth, and who may have just, well, died. AFAIK, there's no 'exit interview' or survey that we have to take when we decide to never come back.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

tiptoeing thru the tulips ellbee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Devi SM View Post
    The more I read here and see the pics and videos sections I can see many girls that are in the same stage I was 2 or 3 years ago when I came to this place.

Here's the "funny" thing about all this CD/trans stuff: It's not necessarily linear!

IOW, not every person always follows a certain order... Step 1, then Step 2, then Step 3, blah blah blah... And before you know it, you're now full-blown post-op TS? No, doesn't work that way, from what I've seen & experienced over the decades.

And personally speaking? A decade ago, and 2 decades ago, I was what I believe to be the closest I had ever been -- or ever will be -- to actually transitioning.

These days? Ain't gonna happen. Through a *lot* of serious introspection & real-life experience, I eventually came to the conclusion that I've got a strong sense of "guy-self" in me at my core, and I'm not willing to ever give that up. Because if I ever were to? I'd be living a lie.

In fact, my level of CD'ing nowadays is rather quite tame, in comparison to what it once was. Yet still, I haven't regressed... I've actually *progressed*.

Anyway, as I mentioned, this is not a linear thing.

And even if it were? Impossible to get a sense of the real numbers, however large or small -- for all sorts of reasons.

My story is very similar to ellbee. When I turned 50, I treated myself to a few days enfemme in Chicago. I had been dressing off and on for decades. The experience in Chicago was amazing and I was convinced that I needed to transition. I spent a year with a gender therapist working thru what was important to me. Now in my early 60's I realize that I love to crossdress but am not TS. While I work on how I can express my feminine side more I am at a balance that I am comfortable with. One step does not automatically lead to a long series of steps. We each will find our own road.

This is a support forum

We do not keep any information on a members status.

If you are going to transition. It would seem logical that you might crossdress before you are sure you want to transition.
    Shelly

Super Moderator....How to tell your partner......Abbreviations

The fact of the matter is that those of us who make up the TG spectrum are relatively small in number. That, coupled with the effect of all the negative stigma, makes us a very difficult group to study. Most of the work that has been done has focused on the TS population, leaving a void in our understanding of the CD population. A researcher here at Rice University is currently the only study focusing specifically on the CD group.

As others have already said, it is often tough to know "wha" we are. Some TS's will tell you that they have always known. I certainly didn't. No, I don't believe that my awareness was subjugated by some sense of obligation. If anything, it was fear. For my generation, transition was difficult, in the extreme. Who would chose that willingly? Not choosing, not really realizing, has had its price, though.

So with dearth of research, and the lessons of so many wasted years, the best advice I can give to anyone questioning their nature, is to have the courage to pursue counseling. We (TG spectrum) may be poorly understood as a group, but it is possible to understand yourself.

My told my partner I was trans. I didn't do any cross dressing until she suggested it. She even suggested wearing panties. But, I have a body that looks good women's clothes. I'll go to Wendy's and have the salad instead of a burger.

Aunt Kelly is quite right. In the book "Psychobiology of Transexualism and Transgenderism" there is a chapter on the rate of occurrence that presents lots of data from all over the world. Unfortunately, little of that data includes crossdressing and other less defined forms; almost all of it concentrates on the "transexual" group. Even then, getting a representative sample of the whole population of just that group is a daunting process that requires some really fancy statistical modeling from data that is known. That means there are a lot of assumptions.

It appears the current focus is on trying to understand what causes the TS/TG folks to be that way and once that is known apply that to crossdressers, non-binaries, and gender fluid. Even getting data on the TS/TG is hard because of an often justifiable reluctance of people to "reveal all" about their personal lives to such depth.

But one thing is clear, this is a multi-dimensional subject where only very generalized patterns can be seen in what data there is, but each and every individual follows their own path. Thus what generally applies to the population does not necessarily apply to each of the individuals that make up that population. There is more variability than there is consistency in the path of development. You do what feels right and that can change as the person experiments and explores.

Resident Polymath MarinaTwelve200's Avatar
    Its like trying to study "Coughs". Coughs are SECONDAY symptoms of MANY different conditions and diseases, and herein lay the problem. Identifying with the opposite biosex, Homosexuality and simply wearing the clothing of the opposite sex, EACH are likely SECONDARY symptoms of various "root causes", many of them not yet defined. The mistake most make is defining the or A SYMPTOM of the condition as the condition itself. Such behaviors and actions in Society have a HISTORY of being very "taboo" and thus attract ALL the attention, rather than any other (generally mild, function-wise) which might be behind the activity in each case. The small percentage of the population affected (3.5%) one standard deviation(no pun intended) or less, makes all this very difficult to study.

To assign any one cause to CD and TS and their variants make no sense--- just as trying to Give a general cause of a Fever or a Cough, which we know MANY DIFFERENT underlying conditions can cause.

In the simple observations of Homosexuals alone, you will see varying "trends" that crop up in given individuals---peculiar body builds (not necessarily "fem") or common "judgement errors" that suggest unrecognized underlying glandular conditions, or congenital defects of a relatively "mild" order that may be behind the Homosexual proclivities.---Only the Homosexuality, a SECONDARY result, gets the attention, though, due to the social stigma.----And "treatment" fails because Homosexuality is not the "disorder" in the first place.

My entire point here is that sexual and sexuality issues are hard to study as they are SYMPTOMS that attract ALL the attention and are often treated as the "disease" itself.---When other less "socially charged" underlying causes may be at the root of the "problem" (if it is actually a problem)----All these things should be considered. A long term "lack of progress" is indicative that a wrong approach is being used to the issue.
    Last edited by MarinaTwelve200; 05-14-2019 at 08:02 AM.

No and pretty much impossible.

First most TG people that I have met (face to face), are not on this site. It’s quite a few, between being out, DLV and the local support group.

I’m just talking about adults, I have found that as they Transition into their new lives they tend to disappear. Not surprising as this is their wish, to live their lives just like everyone else.

It becomes an exercise in time management. Like I haven’t been to the local support group (that meets once a week) in at least a year, I just don’t have the time. If I needed to go, I would, but I don’t and never did. When I found the group I had already transitioned socially. I was the lady of the house living with my boyfriend.

Oh well got to go, time for work.

Wow! It looks like some people feel offended for my personal appreciation looking back in time but I must be clear. I'm not saying that all crossdressers would eventuallky go to transition. As well, it's not a rule that all trans people knew since their childhood they were different. There are all kind of experiences and feelings as human beings are, so that's the reason of a rainbow as flag for our movement.
    I know that some crossdressers will never get out the closet. Their reasons to crossdress are less powerful that their for family or careers or whatever they put in first place but that doesn't mean that if the right conditions could be given they wouldn't transition.
    To finish I just repeat. From my own perspective, as someone that came to this web being a crossdresser and now a trans I can see several, no everybody, that are in the early stages. It's true too, that they may be will never evolve to transition. Remember that statistics on this topics are very diffuse because so many in the closet. But I could probably predict who will evolve to transition. If course I won't do it because my only opinion could trigger the wrong reaction or, in other words, affect their desicions.
    I thought this web could have some statistics about their member that had transition.
    I know that this website have just an infinitesimal part of the cders of the world but it could represent a sample of the global reality.
    It was said that there is not such info so I will request this thread be closed because it was misunderstood and some people feel affected.
    I'm sorry for hurt some people.
    Thanks,

Devi

Banned Read only
    Devi,
    The logic is we join Crossdressers. Com because we see ourselves as that before we discover how much more is going on . I wanted to know what was tearing me apart back in 2013, it really was a voyage of discovery . Transition means different things to different people so it is difficult to gather statistics on a spectrum, there are too many boxes to give a clear picture and there's is always an unkown hidden sector . There are TSs who still prefer to be in the closet so the figures publlished on this group aren't totally accurate .

Is this whole question really relevant ? The department responsible for the next UK census apparently think so , in 2021 there will be sections to address this issue , the thinking is the govenment wishes to know how large a budget and what extra facillites will be needed by the TG community . The figures for people wishing to transition is growing rapidly , it's becoming more obvious we are still useful members of society and shouldn't be ignored and swept under the carpet . It's more than possible that sites like this one are being monitored to give some idea of the numbers .

I think most of us look for support here and as we advance we find other interests.

This is a site to assist everyone in whatever stage of transition they wish to attain.

I have seen many come and go and I hope they have all found their dreams come true.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Thanks Teresa,
    That was exactly my reasoning but there's always people looking the black spot on clearly white things.
    It wasn't my intention to define transexualism or transition just to know how many people would identify themselves as initially crossdressers and then, with the knowledge and others experiences on this web, evolve "transition " to be trans. I personally now realize that I began transitioning around 14 years ago the first time I wax my legs. I was a iker and shave before but I always did it for the need of that sport but waxing is different, is more permanent and involve some suffering. So now I see that my gender dysphoria was bigger than the pain waxing, as later, around 2 years ago, I start plucking my whole beard and moustache. I still doing the moustache ut now, openly trans can go to electrolysis.
    My point is that I see many here discussing about things or permanent changes on the body looking to look like a woman but they still thinking on themselves just as crossdressers conclusion is that I think with the time, achieving them the results will look for more and more to find that, need bigger boobs, boot, etcetera and many go to HRT looking for it but after all external changes don't resolve the internal conflicts that in my case just hormones, and deciding to live as a woman resolved it.
    I have an example in a friend that loom for all herbal products that promise to work as hormones looking for tits, thicker tights and bigger butt. If you want those changes you're not longer a crossdresser. So when he realized that reality will loom for help, therapy to finally find the reality that all those external signs just point to a bigger internal needs.
    I hope being clear because you know my English is limited just my humble opinion.

Thanks,
    Devi

Given optimal conditions, I do not see a future filled with transition. Sad that those who do are considered more "evolved" than lowly crossdressers in the crossdressing section of a crossdressers web site.

I am probably not the only person happy being just a crossdresser.

Silver Member
    Devi,

I understand what you are saying. This site is not really setup for campusing a statistically valid study. Frankly I feel that the population or demographic that you would find here would be challenging to qualify. For one thing, membership, while technically for life, is actually quite transient. People come and go all the time. Also the motivation for belonging may not be as across the board as you would wish. I think this site is also skewed to an older demographic, partial from a comfort level with forum technology style as well as a certain amount of self selection and organization. Maybe the younger crowd doesn't want to hang out at the older folks bar, so they go to club Reddit instead.

I also find the discussion of the non linear development quit intriguing. I think it is very possible that some individuals actually don't know where they are headed until they go through a lengthy Discovery and discernment process. I think this is a pretty complex question that you ask, and would challenge even the best social scientist to devise a valid study. Such a serious study may be beyond the scope of this site. While thought provoking posts exist here, there is also a lot of frivolity as well. Frivolity can be good, but it can also be juvenile as well.

Also, I would not take everything posted here for face value. For some, there seems to be a game of one-ups-manship. You shaved your legs, well I waxed the, you waxed them, well I had electrolysis. Etc. Plus there are some that may be temporarily lost in the pink fog. And even some just playing games.

Good luck and keep asking the questions.
    Last edited by Meghan4now; 05-14-2019 at 03:09 PM.